Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
Logo confirms this is real btw:
jqto0jo-1152x1536.jpeg.webp

Yasuke looks great in that glimpse.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I have the opposite reaction. Hearing that makes me think this Assassin's Creed could be one of the best.

I think stepping away from a franchise, doing something else, then returning is a great formula. Especially when that project itself was heavily inspired by Breath of the Wild. It's more likely to be different.
It also helps that Immortals fucking rules

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know when the game takes place?
Yes, Yasuke was a real person who served Oda Nobunaga. This means it takes place during the Sengoku period when Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, and finally Tokugawa Ieyasu united Japan and started the Edo period. For some context, Shogun the series takes place at the end of this period and the main character Torunaga is based on Tokugawa.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Had there ever been any talk of the engine used for this one at some point? Anything substantially new or interesting? I'm curious if it'll look much better than Valhalla.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
This is par for the course for AC at this point. Syndicate used to be Victory, Origins used to be Empire. Ubisoft always ends up picking a more generic/marketable subtitle.
Those codenames have virtually nothing to do with the story or gameplay of the games. The actual titles do.

Also, god forbid they pick a more marketable title for the game which they need to market and sell.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Had there ever been any talk of the engine used for this one at some point? Anything substantially new or interesting? I'm curious if it'll look much better than Valhalla.
Tom Henderson mentioned that it runs on a new version of the Anvil Engine called Anvil Pipeline and I think he mentioned that they completely overhauled everything from parkour animation to lighting. I think we can expect a significant upgrade.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Tom Henderson mentioned that it runs on a new version of the Anvil Engine called Anvil Pipeline and I think he mentioned that they completely overhauled everything from parkour animation to lighting. I think we can expect a significant upgrade.
It's also next gen only. It should look great.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I fired up Valhalla for the first time in years last night, and it's honestly still a stunner. A big upgrade from that could be pretty mind blowing

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Yasuke was a real person who served Oda Nobunaga. This means it takes place during the Sengoku period when Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, and finally Tokugawa Ieyasu united Japan and started the Edo period. For some context, Shogun the series takes place at the end of this period and the main character Torunaga is based on Tokugawa.

I Always thought ac works best at civilization crossroads, and while end of sengoku/Edo is the most marketable, I think meiji/bakumatsu would have been more... ac. More spheres of influences, more modern cities, urban centers, more foreign districts for varied architectures, more technologies so more variety is gadgets and guns, a real binary civil war as the backdrop, more modern ships for both exploration and combat if it's brought back...

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I Always thought ac works best at civilization crossroads, and while end of sengoku/Edo is the most marketable, I think meiji/bakumatsu would have been more... ac. More spheres of influences, more modern cities, urban centers, more foreign districts for varied architectures, more technologies so more variety is gadgets and guns, a real binary civil war as the backdrop, more modern ships for both exploration and combat if it's brought back...
You and me both. I love Japanese history and my favorite point by far is the bakinatsu/meiji restoration. Bigger cities and frankly, a bigger conflict. You have pro-shogunate and anti-shogunate factions but you also have the French, the British, and the Americans. Then you have the drama! The western forces humbling the anti-shogunate factions into dropping the "expell the barbarians" part and keeping the restore the emperor. It's just all so rich and fascinating!

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Love it. Thanks for the info.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Oh good. Last time I was truly blown away by one was Unity. Would be nice to see a similar bump.

Gure

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's the first time since 2, that I'm actually hyped for AC! Don't let me down Ubisoft.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
What happened to the Mexico rumors??? I thought that was all but confirmed before the Japan rumor came around. Hoping this looks good tomorrow, would love another good, historical, open-world.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
What happened to the Mexico rumors??? I thought that was all but confirmed before the Japan rumor came around. Hoping this looks good tomorrow, would love another good, historical, open-world.
First time I'm hearing about Mexico. This has been confirmed, both in leaks a couple years back and by Ubi last year, as being Japan… sooo… yeah.

Next main one after this is Hexe, which will be in Central Europe around the 15th or 16th century, the witch hunts.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Based on what's been leaked and the quality bar Ubisoft set with Avatar expect the usual next gen bump. And probably the best recreation of Japan in any game visually speaking.
When they announced this project it was always advertised as the "AC game in Japan finally" game.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=gD_DemeUuy8

Oct 25, 2017
Based on what's been leaked and the quality bar Ubisoft set with Avatar expect the usual next gen bump. And probably the best recreation of Japan in any game visually speaking.

When they announced this project it was always advertised as the "AC game in Japan finally" game.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=gD_DemeUuy8

Has any in game leaked? All I know are the rumours that ray tracing is built in and the game seemingly has a bigger focus on stealth with darkness and light being gameplay mechanics.

Which makes the Shadows subtitle make more sense

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Has any in game leaked? All I know are the rumours that ray tracing is built in and the game seemingly has a bigger focus on stealth with darkness and light being gameplay mechanics.

Which makes the Shadows subtitle make more sense
Some people like Tom Henderson and Shinobi have said they've seen gameplay but no one has released any to the public as far as I know.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
It's silly, but I'm glad we're seemingly back to canon protags instead of what they did in Odyssey and Valhalla.

Not super excited if this is in the same vein as those two (don't like how the combat looks and feels among other things), but it's always cool seeing an AC being announced.

In any case, I'm curious to see what they'll do with Yasuke if that's indeed one of the playable characters (and not an original character based on the real man), as that'd be a novelty in the series.
Do you mean the Nebula rumours, perhaps?
Other projects include Obsidian (Black Flag Remake), Nebula (settings based in India, Aztec Empire, and Mediterranean), Raid (a free-to-play 4-player co-op that's PvE), Echoes (another multiplayer title), and another Assassin's Creed Remake which are all scheduled to release by the end of the decade.
Hope it's true, but I wonder what kind of game that'd even be like. Smaller stories with some kind of narrative link? Or maybe even the same protagonist travelling across the world?

The closest connection I can make of those three lands are, of course, Spain and Portugal's imperial years.

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018
Those codenames have virtually nothing to do with the story or gameplay of the games. The actual titles do.

Also, god forbid they pick a more marketable title for the game which they need to market and sell.

Nothing wrong with them - Syndicate in particular makes sense. Though I do find Origins or Revelations to be overused as videogame titles.

But what does Red even mean that makes it not generic?

Can't think of many examples of games with "Red" as their subtitle. I'm not saying Shadows is bad mind you (could've gone for something even more generic like "Rising Sun" or whatever), just that they were inevitably going to go for something more marketing-friendly.

Tony72495

Apr 26, 2019
Nothing wrong with them - Syndicate in particular makes sense. Though I do find Origins or Revelations to be overused as videogame titles.

Can't think of many examples of games with "Red" as their subtitle. I'm not saying Shadows is bad mind you (could've gone for something even more generic like "Rising Sun" or whatever), just that they were inevitably going to go for something more marketing-friendly.

I feel Shadows is the more generic option though, I mean "Odyssey" and "Valhalla" both pretty much give you a hint at the location without even having to see any artwork, Shadows doesn't really do that.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022

Because it doesn't mean anything unless you're doing split versions of the same game ala Pokemon and Battle Network.

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the rumours of Farcry moving to Snowdrop, kinda surprised they are sticking to Anvil for AC.

I personally don't think the games since Unity have been visually impressive. Unity came with the caveat of it running like shit.

I dunno how significant the jump will be, but I don't think I will find it as visually impressive as something like GoT but that was more due to GoTs stellar art direction

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018
I feel Shadows is the more generic option though, I mean "Odyssey" and "Valhalla" both pretty much give you a hint at the location without even having to see any artwork, Shadows doesn't really do that.

I guess it's supposed to refer to ninjas? Odyssey was definitely a great subtitle, though. Probably my favorite of the bunch.