hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I recently started playing the PC port of AC: V with all settings maxed. I really like it (I am shocked cause I wasn't a fan of the change of direction to an RPG). I however have noticed on PC the draw distance is pretty bad and there is a lot of pop in right in front of me. I am reading others seeing the same. I also read the PS5 version didn't have this issue possibly? Can anyone confirm this? Also graphically how does the PS5 port compare to PC?

For clarification all settings are maxed at 1440p.

Specs:

Intel 8700k
32 GB RAM
Nvidia RTX 3080
SSD

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Can you clarify if the pop in is the same?
Draw Distance / Density on grass is higher on PS5, equivalent to an Ultra setting that doesn't exist.

You can open the config file in your Documents/Assassin's Creed Valhalla folder and increase a few settings.

Character=2 can be increased to 4. It's for NPC LOD's and is not a setting in the menu, but was for ACO.
SSAO=2 can be increased to 3, which would be Very High in ACO
Rain=2 can be increased to 3, not sure if it does anything, but it doesn't revert.

Tessellation, Fog, Terrain none of those work and may even crash the game.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The port is pretty bad, stuttering on slower DDR4, utterly poor performance on Nvidia & the settings are tuned lower than Odyssey's PC version which makes the PS5/SX versions of Valhalla graphically better, honestly Ubisoft probably did the last part on purpose.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Always go with console for Ubisoft games
The port is pretty bad, stuttering on slower DDR4, utterly poor performance on Nvidia & the settings are tuned lower than Odyssey's PC version which makes the PS5/SX versions of Valhalla graphically better, honestly Ubisoft probably did the last part on purpose.
I'm playing on PC(3090) and to me, it's better than the console version. They patched just about all the problems and it runs looks much much better than the console version; Image quality is much much better on PC. I have the Series X version to compare against.

I wouldn't go by this vid because it's 7 months old. A lot has changed.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I mean the console version runs at dynamic res between 1440p and topping out at 1800p at the best of times. If you can live with that, have at it.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on PC(3090) and to me, it's better than the console version. They patched just about all the problems and it runs looks much much better than the console version; Image quality is much much better on PC. I have the Series X version to compare against.

DumpsterJuice
Are you seeing the texture pop in i am describing? If I am in the boat when first arriving in Europe textures aren't on the ground on the far bank and the textures pop in constantly.

jerkalerk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had a similar issue with it recently. When I went into the settings I found the game had reverted a few of the settings back down to medium for some reason. I remember World Details specifically was lowered.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
It is for the most part...Rainbow Six Siege is the exception.
Really?

Far Cry, Watch Dogs, AC Origins and Odyssey are superior on PC. Most users with decent PCs are going to get superior frame rates at higher resolutons and graphic settings. These games, other than Watch Dogs Legion for some people, also scale so if you have a low powered mobile CPU/GPU you can still play the games with low settings.

It seems like, and i'm probably crazy, Ubi doensn't give a shit about their PC ports right now due to Epic exclusivity deals. If AC Valhalla was on Steam in the state it was/is in would be a much bigger deal. Steam reviews would have roasted it and there would be a big stink all over the internet.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I am playing with a DAC and it sounds great?

I am so on the fence on if I should buy the ps5 version.....
It's been a talking point of the game for a while

www.gamepressure.com

Gamers are Irritated by Sound Layer in AC Valhalla

Assassin's Creed Valhalla players complain on the Internet about the quality of the game's sound layer. Users indicate that files are overly compressed and some sounds are unnecessarily loud.

www.resetera.com

Did you realize how bad the sound quality in Assassins Creed Valhalla is?

Please only vote if you played the game! "No, I didn't notice it because I didn't play it" isn't helpful. Thanks! First of all, I want to clarify I don't want to shit on the game in general. I just can't believe how bad it sounds and I am curious if this is something Ubisoft can do without any...

jerkalerk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Triple checked that. All are maxed out.
Weird, I've got similar specs just with a 2080ti instead and have seen no noticeable pop in outside of when it dropped my settings down. Maybe the settings didn't save correctly, have you tried resetting everything back to default and then changing them up to max again?

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
The sound drove me madddddddd wish I'd googled it 40 hours earlier as I thought it was me / my system.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, I've got similar specs just with a 2080ti instead and have seen no noticeable pop in outside of when it dropped my settings down. Maybe the settings didn't save correctly, have you tried resetting everything back to default and then changing them up to max again?

I'll try deleting the configuration files and recreating them. If it continues I'll record and post here. I really don't want to go ps5 version and go through the opening again.

Has ubi ever fixed the fact you can have more foilage on the ps5 version than the highest settings on pc?

AshGambit

Sep 4, 2019
I have some fairly decent headphones with a separate amp and dac. I legitimately thought someone had sat on my headphones or something when I booted the game up. Awful sound.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Really?

Far Cry, Watch Dogs, AC Origins and Odyssey are superior on PC. Most users with decent PCs are going to get superior frame rates at higher resolutons and graphic settings. These games, other than Watch Dogs Legion for some people, also scale so if you have a low powered mobile CPU/GPU you can still play the games with low settings.

It seems like, and i'm probably crazy, Ubi doensn't give a shit about their PC ports right now due to Epic exclusivity deals. If AC Valhalla was on Steam in the state it was/is in would be a much bigger deal. Steam reviews would have roasted it and there would be a big stink all over the internet.

It's hit or miss for me and my personal rule is to always go with console versions of UBI games.

Far Cry 4 had stuttering issues that I could never get rid of
Far Cry 5 seemed fine
Far Cry ND performed far worse that FC5 for me
The new AC trilogy requires insanely high specs for what it does compared to console versions

Thinking more about it though their ports aren't terrible, it's just that UBI games just feel more tailored to consoles for some reasons. Plus there's the EGS thing.

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
It's hit or miss for me and my personal rule is to always go with console versions of UBI games.

Far Cry 4 had stuttering issues that I could never get rid of
Far Cry 5 seemed fine
Far Cry ND performed far worse that FC5 for me
The new AC trilogy requires insanely high specs for what it does compared to console versions

Thinking more about it though their ports aren't terrible, it's just that UBI games just feel more tailored to consoles for some reasons. Plus there's the EGS thing.
I mean until the PS5 / X Series X came out it was the choice between 60+ fps and 30 fps. If your pc could run the games at 60 fps then there is literally no question which platform is superior for their games.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I'll try deleting the configuration files and recreating them. If it continues I'll record and post here. I really don't want to go ps5 version and go through the opening again.

Has ubi ever fixed the fact you can have more foilage on the ps5 version than the highest settings on pc?

Anyone know about the foilage?

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
It's a shit port I will rip on.

Seriously ubisoft the crew games feel better on my pc than valhalla does.

Horrible framepacing to the point 90-144fps isn't smooth on any machine. This is pathetic in light of what flight simulator is about to give gamers.

Neither platform is getting what they could.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shit port I will rip on.

Seriously ubisoft the crew games feel better on my pc than valhalla does.

Horrible framepacing to the point 90-144fps isn't smooth on any machine. This is pathetic in light of what flight simulator is about to give gamers.

Neither platform is getting what they could.

Neither platform? What's wrong with console version LCGeek ?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I tried both the PC and PS5 versions. Ended up sticking with PS5, got around 40 hours in it now.

The PC version is fine and performed "ok" - unlike Origins and Odyssey it doesn't seem like a cpu killer, it seems very gpu dependant this time around, although I've heard people say the game shits itself with lower RAM speed. Mine is 3200, paired with a 10700k and rtx 3070. At 1440p it was running at around 75-80 fps with near max settings IIRC. Was a good time.

but I dont really like buying non steam games, only tried the game using the ubisoft sub service. Bought it on PS5 and it runs fine. Its 60 fps most of the time, although there is definitely drops here and there. Some bizarre screen tearing in places too where it feels like it shouldn't be doing that. And micro freezes that last half a second here and there, usually 15-20 mins apart - apparently this is likely caused by the online services so it might affect other platforms too, dunno. Doesn't always happen though.

graphically i honestly couldn't tell the PC and PS5 versions apart. The PS5 foilage detail may still be higher but it's hardly something that you notice unless you have 2 instances of the game running. Ground detail pop in is pretty bad on both versions, although it's honestly mostly noticable in Norway... in England, you have a lot of foilage which side steps this issue imo.

Oct 27, 2017

nah. Console version for this one is superior

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I tried both the PC and PS5 versions. Ended up sticking with PS5, got around 40 hours in it now.

The PC version is fine and performed "ok" - unlike Origins and Odyssey it doesn't seem like a cpu killer, it seems very gpu dependant this time around, although I've heard people say the game shits itself with lower RAM speed. Mine is 3200, paired with a 10700k and rtx 3070. At 1440p it was running at around 75-80 fps with near max settings IIRC. Was a good time.

but I dont really like buying non steam games, only tried the game using the ubisoft sub service. Bought it on PS5 and it runs fine. Its 60 fps most of the time, although there is definitely drops here and there. Some bizarre screen tearing in places too where it feels like it shouldn't be doing that. And micro freezes that last half a second here and there, usually 15-20 mins apart - apparently this is likely caused by the online services so it might affect other platforms too, dunno. Doesn't always happen though.

graphically i honestly couldn't tell the PC and PS5 versions apart. The PS5 foilage detail may still be higher but it's hardly something that you notice unless you have 2 instances of the game running. Ground detail pop in is pretty bad on both versions, although it's honestly mostly noticable in Norway... in England, you have a lot of foilage which side steps this issue imo.

I am trying to figure out if what I am seeing is normal. On PC When you first sailed into England and don't have control of the ship did you see an obvious blurry texture like maybe 10 feet from you and as you got closer the grass and other foilage would appear out of nowhere? Does it do this on PS5 too?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I am trying to figure out if what I am seeing is normal. On PC When you first sailed into England and don't have control of the ship did you see an obvious blurry texture like maybe 10 feet from you and as you got closer the grass and other foilage would appear out of nowhere? Does it do this on PS5 too?

Sorry, I don't really remember specifically stuff like that, but I can't say I noticed too many "obviously" blurry textures (at least up close). Not really related but Odyssey's PC version has a bug that I still don't think got fixed where certain armours will switch to lower quality versions in cutscenes (you can actually see them go in a lower quality state when the camera switches) which was pretty annoying. The console versions didn't have this issue. Ubisoft pc ports tend to be not the best.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I don't really remember specifically stuff like that, but I can't say I noticed too many "obviously" blurry textures (at least up close). Not really related but Odyssey's PC version has a bug that I still don't think got fixed where certain armours will switch to lower quality versions in cutscenes (you can actually see them go in a lower quality state when the camera switches) which was pretty annoying. The console versions didn't have this issue. Ubisoft pc ports tend to be not the best.

I had actually restarted cause I stopped playing for months after getting to England and don't remember pop in being this bad.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
nah. Console version for this one is superior
Not from my experience it isn't. I like the PC version better.
DumpsterJuice
Are you seeing the texture pop in i am describing? If I am in the boat when first arriving in Europe textures aren't on the ground on the far bank and the textures pop in constantly.
I'll check tonight.

My PC config for reference:
3090 FE
32GB 3200
2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME drive
ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero

Last edited:
OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017

You can see what I am talking about in this video. Look at the ground and hills on the left after the chain is broken and they are sailing. The textures look like a blurry mesh textures and the grass and such appears the closer you get.

That isn't my stream so maybe its not my game having an issue?

Dec 2, 2020
Their rendering pipeline isn't as good as the likes of Rockstars for RDRII when it comes to open World lod. But then again not many companies are. Hopefully this improves with next gen games. I think Valhalla looks astounding overall though. One of the most under rated games this gen visually. They absolutely nailed the English countryside.

The sound quality is horrifically bad.

Has to do with early covid recording restrictions I'm guessing.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Their rendering pipeline isn't as good as the likes of Rockstars for RDRII when it comes to open World lod. But then again not many companies are. Hopefully this improves with next gen games. I think Valhalla looks astounding overall though. One of the most under rated games this gen visually. They absolutely nailed the English countryside.

I could see that being the case for the compressed dialog since they probably recorded it all remotely. For the other sound effects I'm not sure that was the issue. It's not like this is the firs time. Odyssey and Origins in particular both had bad sound mixing and compressed audio but Valhalla takes it to another level of awful.

Dec 2, 2020
I could see that being the case for the compressed dialog since they probably recorded it all remotely. For the other sound effects I'm not sure that was the issue. It's not like this is the firs time. Odyssey and Origins in particular both had bad sound mixing and compressed audio but Valhalla takes it to another level of awful.

Ah didn't realise the other two suffered the same issues.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017

The open world looks very good but the characters look awful. And the clipping is atrocious.