• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 64517

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2020
Once I've finished it on XSX I can lend it to my brother for his X1 who won't be getting a XSX straight away, this one sku for both gens is great!

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Great news and it's not just cross buy. It also means that each version will take advantage of the respective hardwares. Otherwise the Series X would get a mere back-compact port of the One.

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
No.

Crossbuy means you still download 2 versions of the game, one packaged for X1 and one for XSX. They exist as two separate games on your system even.

Smart Delivery means the same game will install the X1 or XSX version depending on console you are playing on.
Thank you for explaining this, I was going to but then you did a better job than I would have

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
I understand that part, but what's the difference between the two versions is my question and who is paying for it? And if it's MS who is paying for it, then is it only exclusive to them?
We don't know yet but there is usually quite a few - see shadow of Mordor where it didn't have a nemesis system on cross gen , and no both next gen versions are the same (well other than resolution performance type stuff) but Xbox will not be any extra charge , Sony we have no idea yet

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I understand that part, but what's the difference between the two versions is my question and who is paying for it? And if it's MS who is paying for it, then is it only exclusive to them?

What do you mean "Exclusive for them"? It's a Xbox feature and it's, obviously not limited to in house games.

The difference? The same as with other gross gen titles in the past or even Xbox One/Xbox One X versions. Better graphics, better effects, better performance, better resolution with some times monumental differences between these versions (Super Sampling was a f'n game changer with the X patched games).

Edit:

Oh yeah and where someone mentioned Shadow of Mordor, of course, one game, one save game, no 2 different games.

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
So, Series X version will probably run better than any PC to date, right? My 1080 Ti would maybe make 1440-1800p 60fps, depending on the scenes.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it like Play Anywhere? The only difference here is it's on an old console and a new console instead of a console and a PC.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dont understand this feature...

Wouldnt Assassins Creed Valhalla be backward compatible anyways?

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
That is pretty cool. I hope the PS5 supports something like this as well.
I don't think they will, because I think MS is paying for this feature. Both Cyberpunk and AC are already partnered with MS with their marketing and I think this whole smart delivery thing is part of that deal. They aren't doing this out of the kindness of their heart, MS is incentivising them big time on this and I doubt Sony will get into a bidding war over this.

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
I was expecting new engine for the next gen, such a shame. Now we have to wait for another 3 years for a proper AC with new engine an trully next gen.

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
I hope this becomes the standard for the next generations. Everybody wins.

Sony, please announce your version of Smart Delivery already.

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017
No.

Crossbuy means you still download 2 versions of the game, one packaged for X1 and one for XSX. They exist as two separate games on your system even.

Smart Delivery means the same game will install the X1 or XSX version depending on console you are playing on.
Not the same version, an upgraded version. Since Series X will have better graphics and run better. Its like owning a PC version of a game and later a remaster is released and you get that update for free on PC. Happened with Borderlands the Handsome Collection and Borderlands 1

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I don't think they will, because I think MS is paying for this feature. Both Cyberpunk and AC are already partnered with MS with their marketing and I think this whole smart delivery thing is part of that deal. They aren't doing this out of the kindness of their heart, MS is incentivising them big time on this and I doubt Sony will get into a bidding war over this.

Well, I mean, this is essentially crossbuy (I mean, not exactly, but the same general concept), so that would be odd to have as an exclusive, but I guess anything is possible.

If PlayStation charges players twice for the same game while Xbox supports buy once have every version that would be a disaster PR wise.

I don't think that really factors a lot into the decision, tbh

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
I have a feeling if Sony does announce a smart delivery thing, it will be with select games that they are marketing, and not the same games that MS is backing.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Nice, though I'm likely to just buy for next gen (as one of the first games I get).

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017

9315.jpg

perfection

...but from xbox.com
Smart Delivery:
This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you're playing on. We're making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.

If the developer did not choose to use Smart Delivery, then yes, your question would be a yes.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

You are getting a real next gen version for free if you buy the One version and smart delivery recognizes the system you play your one time bought game on so you don't have to download or install twice.
Think about last gens and their cross gen titles. A Shadow of Mordor on 360 wasn't Shadow of Mordor on One, same with the Tomb Raider games or even stuff like Splinter Cell 4 for original Xbox and then the 360 version.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing. I hope every publisher supports this feature

In what world were you installing cross buy games twice on one system?
For games that support smart delivery, on the XSX it would be one SKU. If a platform/game did not support a feature like this, imagine the game on your next gen system potentially having two versions of the game installed: the last gen version (backwards compatible) and the next gen version.

It means the distinct current gen and next gen versions of the game will be different, which could affect how saves work, purchased DLC, etc.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I don't really get what is so special about this, with the next generation being practically fully backwards compatible from the get go. I've always just assumed that games will just work when they also release on the older generation.

Did people really expect 2 versions? How would that work in that case? Would the X1/PS4 disc contain the "bad" version and the XSX/PS5 disc the "good" version? So you would pay the same, but get to play a game with last gen graphics? How would that work? And with digital purchases? Did people really expect we could buy 2 versions in the digital stores and one of those versions work on both consoles, while the other one doesn't? That makes no sense at all.

This is such a mind blowing system seller feature, but I still have the feeling that like 80% of all people haven't even recognized this being a thing or still didn't understood what it does.
This deserves so much more hype, it's a game changer.

Specially if the One version comes out before the next gen release.

But the One version will just work on Series X..? Why is that weird? It's pretty much already happening with 1X and PS4 Pro.

It will probably be cheaper for Ubisoft to just let the next gen patch automatically be pushed to the next gen consoles, then to divide the market with printing 2 totally different versions on different discs and let this huge shitstorm commence when people get confused buying the wrong version.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
So just another term for cross buy?
No it's not.

Cross platform games that you can purchase from MS are labelled as "Play anywhere". Which I love because I play them on another platform (PC).

They have stated multiple times that the platform is simply called just "Xbox", with series X just being the latest version.

Smart delivery will just give you the version needed for your version of "Xbox", if there was like for example 3 versions of the game (Xbox One, Xbox one X enhanced, Series X).

Publishers doing this should be the way moving forward on Xbox as there should be no need to really try to milk customers out for the same game, but that's up to the publisher.

It's not like PS3/PS4, which are different platforms by the same company.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Every game coming out is going to be cross-buy/smart delivery, right? I mean, both Xbox Series X and PS5 will have BC, so these games will be playable on next gen consoles if you buy them on current gen. I don't see any publisher taking the risk to keep next gen versions hostage.

I honestly don't understand why they're making such a fuss about it because BC already implies the same thing.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
I don't really get what is so special about this, with the next generation being practically fully backwards compatible from the get go. I've always just assumed that games will just work when they also release on the older generation.

Did people really expect 2 versions? How would that work in that case? Would the X1/PS4 disc contain the "bad" version and the XSX/PS5 disc the "good" version? So you would pay the same, but get to play a game with last gen graphics? How would that work? And with digital purchases? Did people really expect we could buy 2 versions in the digital stores and one of those versions work on both consoles, while the other one doesn't? That makes no sense at all.

But the One version will just work on Series X..? Why is that weird? It's pretty much already happening with 1X and PS4 Pro.

It will probably be cheaper for Ubisoft to just let the next gen patch automatically be pushed to the next gen consoles, then to divide the market with printing 2 totally different versions on different discs and let this huge shitstorm commence when people get confused buying the wrong version.
Did you experience the start of this generation? Systems in games are different it's a different exe on the disc at times half the time older gen versions done by a third party - this stops the double dipping and is great

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
Well, I mean, this is essentially crossbuy (I mean, not exactly, but the same general concept), so that would be odd to have as an exclusive, but I guess anything is possible.
I don't think it's odd at all. I think this is part of MS' strategy to get people out of the PS ecosystem or to keep X1 owners from jumping ship. I bet they are making this whole program exclusive to them, by paying a shit load of money to these publishers. I just wonder how many games they are doing this for.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
No it's not.

Cross platform games that you can purchase from MS are labelled as "Play anywhere". Which I love because I play them on another platform (PC).

They have stated multiple times that the platform is simply called just "Xbox", with series X just being the latest version.

Smart delivery will just give you the version needed for your version of "Xbox", if there was like for example 3 versions of the game (Xbox One, Xbox one X enhanced, Series X).

Publishers doing this should be the way moving forward on Xbox as there should be no need to really try to milk customers out for the same game, but that's up to the publisher.

It's not like PS3/PS4, which are different platforms by the same company.
You just explained what crossbuy is, but with added marketing buzz. You buy one copy of the game, you can play it on the old gen or the new gen.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I don't know but this should be standard on next gen and even syncing ur game settings across the devices