Assuming that Insomniac goes for Gwen Stacy next in their Spider-Man universe, who should voice her?

• Dove Cameron (Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, Marvel Rising)

Votes: 22 3.2%
  • Allegra Clark (Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3)

Votes: 23 3.4%
  • Laura Bailey (2017 Spider-Man cartoon)

Votes: 58 8.5%
  • Hailee Steinfeld (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)

Votes: 318 46.8%
  • Someone entirely new to the role

Votes: 237 34.9%
  • Lacey Chabert (The Spectacular Spider-Man)

Votes: 22 3.2%

• Total voters

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
God, I'd love to have a Spider-Gwen game. Pick someone who's never voiced the character before as well, let them mold the character as their own, rather than reproducing what they do in another medium.

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
Honestly I'd rather we get Silk than Gwen. We need more Asian representation in games.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but now you're just giving multiple people in the same universe similar spider powers and suddenly Spider-Man isn't as unique anymore. It works in the comics because they're alternate universe versions replacing Peter rather than existing alongside him; Miles is an odd case and still feels a little weird to me to be existing alongside Pete.
I mean it really isn't weird. This is its own thing, and it's a comic book game. Literally anything is possible.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The Spectacular Spider-Man I miss that show... its 2 seasons were really good. I'm going with Hailee Steinfeld here though, since I thought she did a fine job in into the spider-verse.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Here I was thinking Laura Bailey is overused af already, yet in here people want her to play MJ and Gwen Stacey.

I think she's really talented, as long as she plays white characters I don't have an issue with it really. But I do understand that having more opportunities for lesser known voice actors would do wonders.

Sure, but now you're just giving multiple people in the same universe similar spider powers and suddenly Spider-Man isn't as unique anymore. It works in the comics because they're alternate universe versions replacing Peter rather than existing alongside him; Miles is an odd case and still feels a little weird to me to be existing alongside Pete.

Spider-Man has a billion supervillains, let the guy have some backup!

Aki

Mar 20, 2020

i think the way they introduced Miles in the games was great. Peter can fill out the mentor role and grow from there, it's a unique dynamic since he's been fighting crime alone for 8 years.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

I sort of get you but I totally disagree. Remember that Spidey isn't even the only super hero in this universe. And Spider-man's whole idea was never for him to be special, on the contrary, it's that everyone should feel like they could be Spider-Man/Woman.

I wonder if Jstevenson read these threads lol

Nov 14, 2017
I read her comics with Laura Bailey's voice in my head, but since she already plays MJ, that's a no go.

Her VA from MUA3 did a good job, so I'd say her. Especially since Miles' VA reprised his role in MUA3 before Insomniac even made his game.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I read her comics with Laura Bailey's voice in my head, but since she already plays MJ, that's a no go.

Her VA from MUA3 did a good job, so I'd say her. Especially since Miles' VA reprised his role in MUA3 before Insomniac even made his game.
But Miles' VA was already in the PS4 game prior to MUA3.

Someone new, easily. I think Insomniac's characters are their own and they don't want to use previous actors for the same roles
*points at Nadji Jeter*

Nov 14, 2017
I could actually see Gwen as a means of keeping the symbiote stuff around if they go with her instead of Venom.
Yep, I agree. Pete gets the symbiote suit in SM2, Gwen gets her symbiote at the end of that game, and then you build upon the symbiote powers from SM2 in her solo game so that they can stick around for SM3.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
In the comics there are about 6 or so(is Kaine alive?). in the main universe not counting time travel.As much as I like a lot of them but believe there are too many spider people in the 616, it mostly works because they don't all have books and just come back every once in a while.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
That reminds me do they also call him Spiderman or is his hero name something else?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Anyone but Laura Bailey.
Thank you.

Also, is Gwen alive? I thought this took place in a late-state canon, albeit a new canon from the comics or any of the TV shows.

But a Gwen would be nice.

I'll admit though, while I don't really mind following Peter I feel like Miles Morales paved the way for a better protagonist in this canon. Peter was fucking boring in the first game. He's overly concerned, overly safe, and he doesn't have a lot of actual flaws. They try hard to display sympathy and struggle by having him ruminate over meakly things while swinging about, but not by way of something seen in the Sam Raimi films that was effective, like wrongly thinking he's supposed to be a hero and miss out on relationships, or getting too much fame.

Morales was cool because he has yet to learn what being a Spider-Man entails, so you see him do kind of reckless things where he enjoys the coolness of his powers, and that has a bigger potential to cause character growth than having Peter dwell on old well-established relationships, or putting his loved ones in danger (yet again).

I did not feel much when Aunt May died. It was sad, but that entire part of the story just felt forced to me. You could feel them trying so hard to make an emotional finale to the game by having Oc scream "Peeeeteeeeeer!" and having a big loss where Peter cries. It was forced.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you.

Also, is Gwen alive? I thought this took place in a late-state canon, albeit a new canon from the comics or any of the TV shows.

I'll admit though, while I don't really mind following Peter I feel like Miles Morales paved the way for a better protagonist in this canon. Peter was fucking boring in the first game. He's overly concerned, overly safe, and he doesn't have a lot of actual flaws. They try hard to display sympathy and struggle by having him ruminate over meakly things while swinging about, but not by way of something seen in the Sam Raimi films that was effective, like wrongly thinking he's supposed to be a hero and miss out on relationships, or getting too much fame.

Morales was cool because he has yet to learn what being a Spider-Man entails, so you see him do kind of reckless things where he enjoys the coolness of his powers, and that has a bigger potential to cause character growth than having Peter dwell on old well-established relationships, or putting his loved ones in danger (yet again).

I did not feel much when Aunt May died. It was sad, but that entire part of the story just felt forced to me. You could feel them trying so hard to make an emotional finale to the game by having Oc scream "Peeeeteeeeeer!" and having a big loss where Peter cries. It was forced.
Gwen wasn't mentioned at all in 2018, so it seems like wanted to leave that open on purpose.

I get what you mean about Peter's character, but they wanted to play it safe. With Harry coming into the picture, I think that will add way more to him on an interpersonal level.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I get what you mean about Peter's character, but they wanted to play it safe. With Harry coming into the picture, I think that will add way more to him on an interpersonal level.
IMO they tried to do way too many story threads for a single game, but then again, Marvel Games is involved and I imagine, like Marvel Studios, they run an apparatus where they plan all kinds of "long-game" ideas. I strongly dislike MCU but I think thanks to Insomniac I liked Spider-Man more than I usually like those productions. But I also got a feeling that Insomniac were building to some sort of "Marvel plan" because it has that convoluted "out-of-game" reaching feel that those movies did.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

Like Yuoke said, Gwen wasn't mentioned once in the first game. Pretty much every character tied to Peter or Spidey was either mentionned or referenced somewhere except for Gwen and her father, which is really odd.
Also, there was this tweet :

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Like Yuoke said, Gwen wasn't mentioned once in the first game. Pretty much every character tied to Peter or Spidey was either mentionned or referenced somewhere except for Gwen and her father, which is really odd.

Yea, tweet all but confirms what they are doing.

Unless they were planning on a Spider-Man 3 love triangle....which please no.

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
Yep, I agree. Pete gets the symbiote suit in SM2, Gwen gets her symbiote at the end of that game, and then you build upon the symbiote powers from SM2 in her solo game so that they can stick around for SM3.
This is the way I see it happening as well. Gwen getting the symbiote would make an easy transition into her solo adventure if that's the direction they choose to go.

That reminds me do they also call him Spiderman or is his hero name something else?
In Miles they just called him Spider-Man.

Nov 14, 2017
They call him Spider-Man for the most part, but they do occasionally call him "the other Spider-Man", or in Roxxon guy's case, "Kid Spider", which is a cheeky reference to what I believe is his name in one of the cartoons.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I rather not have Laura Bailey considering she plays Mary Jane Watson in the games lmao. 😂

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whoever voiced/portrayed Dina in The Last of Us II.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Weird poll. They've made pretty clear they're doing their own thing. It'd be an entirely new actor

(If they were doing Gwen in this relatively "grounded" version of Spider-Man, which I don't think is as guaranteed as some say it is)

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Thank you.

How dare you. That ending made me tear up. Haha

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They should go with Dove Cameron. She's both familiar with the character and have plenty of acting experience.

Weird poll. They've made pretty clear they're doing their own thing. It'd be an entirely new actor

(If they were doing Gwen in this relatively "grounded" version of Spider-Man, which I don't think is as guaranteed as some say it is)

Except both Peter and Miles actors have voiced their characters many times before.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

They did get a returning actor for Miles Morales (Nadji Jeter, who first voiced Miles in the 2017 Spider-Man cartoon), so it's not impossible.

Kasai

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
The VA from Spider-Verse.

Her just going on and on when she starts with "Gwanda" just kills me on every rewatch.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark

If so I'm hopeful. My guess is we'll have Spider-Gwen in a third game, but honestly, I just want Gwen to be great, cool, and the main love interest :P

I was always more invested in Gwen and Peter's relationship in the Spectacular Spider-Man Cartoon and those mediocre Marc Webb movies than I was about Mary Jane in the other canons. And every reboot is a opportunity to change the rules on the mythology.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I would love a Gwen game. Honestly all I can think of with this questions is "as long as it isn't Ashley Burch" 😅

As for the Tokyo "rumour" I would love that too. I think it's definitely a good approach to change cities between mainline games just to keep the exploration aspects fresh. Or at least change timelines. 2099 cityscape would obviously look pretty unique too. But I think there is a serious risk of fatigue if every Spider-Man going forward is set in NY. Miles at least made it wintery but I feel like it's already hit its limit.

How dare you. That ending made me tear up. Haha

Same. First game ever to do so too...and it was a fucking Spider-Man game...I was pretty surprised by that. Such good performances.