• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Which review is this?
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...g-that-made-nier-automata-transcendent-review

I'm in conflict because I also really value Austin's opinion over other reviewers, his tastes tend to very strongly align with mine. I'm specially disappointed that he didn't find the cast or worldbuilding memorable, but I also know that he is very much into cyberpunk and some of the IPs the story references/borrows from so it makes sense he'd be critical of the missteps in that area. The other reviewers are so enthusiastic and effusive about the game and he is very clearly an outlier though, I feel like I might end up buying and enjoying it anyway. I think I'm gonna have to read/watch a lot of reviews today to make up my mind lol.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Platinum smashing it!
(like there was ever any doubt)
Well done to all the staff involved.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Jonneh in Gamexplain review: "Back on the WiiU--" BLEURGH

Oh, and great review, Jon! Liked your deep dive into legion development options a lot

Yes, I know I JUST said I wouldn't read any reviews, but I gotta support my favourite Youtuber channels, don't I?

Also MC back down to 88 after 29 reviews.
boooo 89 club let's go
What

What are the others ?

I'll be a first time Switch owner when the lite comes out.

Got Zelda already, getting Astral Chain and looking out for others which are in the back catalogue.
Fire Emblem at 89 (a must!!) and SMM2 at 88 :)

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I timed things really well with FETH. I finished my first playthrough (69 hours) and am at the final battle for my second playthrough (43 hours so far). Will finish that second playthrough in the next four days, and then I will be ready to move on to Astral Chain come August 30th.

I'm very hyped for this, and seeing high review scores only works to heighten my anticipation. Great work by Platinum and Nintendo, can't wait to play!

Whoops, nvm. Wrong quote lol

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I've always considered first party as something developed by a first party developer, God of War for example.

I'm not here to argue, just thought i'd missed some huge news or something.
- Fire Emblem was mostly made by Koei Tecmo with guidance from Intelligent Systems
- Luigi's Mansion 3 is being developed by 3rd party developer Next Level Games
- The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening is being developed by 3rd party developer Grezzo
- Yoshi's Crafted World was developed by 3rd party developer Good Feel
- Pokemon Sword and Shield are being developed by TPC and Creature's Inc.
- Super Smash Bros Ultimate was mostly developed by Bandai Namco and Sora Ltd.

Are all of those not first-party games as well?
As Piston said, a better definition of first party is imo probably IP ownership. Nintendo owns all of the IP in Piston's list, and we typically think of them as first party games.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent review scores. Nintendo is on fire.

On another note "It's not really first party" only seems to apply to Nintendo. Was Spiderman not Sony first party until this month?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that's some really good scores in there, I'm surprised.
Nice to see PlatinumGames deliver once again.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed to hear the story is middling - every game of theirs I've enjoyed has been due to the story (whether that's because it's truly good or simply outrageous and entertaining). I'll probably still check it out though, but expectations are tempered.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Excellent review scores. Nintendo is on fire.

On another note "It's not really first party" only seems to apply to Nintendo. Was Spiderman not Sony first party until this month?
They're both first-party games, the only people who refute this are shitposters and trolls

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
... Prove who exist?

giphy.gif

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Another fantastic game for the system, on its way to have one of the best catalogues ever.

Game already downloaded. Friday cant come soon enough.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Great review! Can you tell us a little more about the endgame content or is that all you can say about it? And that framerate in the city, jesus.

I think I can say that it takes the form of increasingly difficult arena battles in different stages of the main game, that's it so far. I haven't done them all (there are A LOT) so it's possible there are still new difficulty options or other secrets hidden there.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Had a feeling this would review very well. Never once thought it would be sub 80

RedFlo

Aug 16, 2019
Fantastic scores, exactly what I hoped for. Good to hear that its one of the best action RPG´s this gen.
Absolutely looking forward to play this in a few days!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sounds like a blast! Looking forward to it
As Piston said, a better definition of first party is imo probably IP ownership. Nintendo owns all of the IP in Piston's list, and we typically think of them as first party games.
Nintendo codeveloped this game and owns the ip just like Wonderful 101

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so disappointed with these reviews.

I was so sure the game was going to be 12-15 hours, and as a general rule I don't buy games at full price if they are shorter than 20 hours. Now I hear this is 25 hours long? It shakes my whole belief system, since I was sure I wasn't going to buy the game now with DQXI on the horizon, but now I will have to reevaluate my spending for the next couple of months. Thanks a lot Platinum.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reviewed well and even got criticized for not being like Nier Automata, a game that I hoped for Astral Chain to stay as far away as possible. Pretty nice.

Now just hoping good sales follow these reviews... please.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Astral Chain addresses issues that previous platinum games had, pacing. Most platinum games are just running from set piece to battle arena. It was always going 100. Astral Chain having investigations and slower moments makes the action sequences more appreciated.
This is a good move. Getting excited for this release.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Typical Austin Walker bullshit...you play this for the action and not the character development. Just stick to your intelligent hipster games.
Austin regularly enjoys big game releases, he was just super into Fire Emblem...
I have no intention to derail this thread, though, so I'd just like to remind people that Waypoint's lack of score means it's not even going to hurt its MC score. You can just ignore it y'all, and it's good to have a differing opinion people can read to help make up their minds about their game purchase.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any doubt this game won't be great?

Platinum + Nintendo collab delivers another action classic.