• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I did not mention are the boss fights which are absolutely amazing and super fun. There is a world 5 boss that is one of the best bosses in any 3D Platformer ever. So So So creative and communicates how amazing VR can be.

World 5 boss is best spectacle, clever use of VR, jolly, terrifying, full of references all kind of great.
Also agree about moveset, Astro don't have much move, hopefully they'll add some moves for him in the sequel.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You know what, I haven't played Astro Bot yet, but after hearing great things about it I'm really considering trying to pick up this and Déraciné later this year in order to have some PSVR games to play, since I haven't really been using mine.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what, I haven't played Astro Bot yet, but after hearing great things about it I'm really considering trying to pick up this and Déraciné later this year in order to have some PSVR games to play, since I haven't really been using mine.

I'm calling police for any PSVR owners hat don't get Astrobot, it's a crime.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
Oh man, I love platform games... I'm going to end up buying a PSVR for this game, I know it..

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
3D platforming is my favorite genre and it's the best platformer ever on a Sony platform. Granted that's not saying all that much. :)

VR has the risk of being gimmicky but the game is just so full of ideas and so sweet and so fun.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is GOTY material for me. A huge joy to play and insanely creative.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Oh and VR is actually somewhat of a breakthrough in depth perception. Jumps are so intuitive. It's so easy to gauge where you are in 3D space.

I just wish you could go backwards and also you need a chair when you play this since you'll be turning around and standing on your tippytoes and crouching a lot!

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
PSVR owners that haven't played this yet: what have y'all been doing with your lives since launch?
Definitely check this magical game out. And if you truly enjoy it, demand more similar quality VR games.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Holy Moley! The OST is by Kenneth C. M. Young!? I freaking LOVE his work on the LBP Series!
On topic, I would really love to try this game from what I've heard of it, but I'm not gonna be able to afford a PSVR in a LONG while.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda stings having a PS4 right in front of me yet this game out of my reach.
No one told me VR would lead to quality 3D platformers!

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Not only this gen, it's the best since ages ago.. of course that's outside of Mario games

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

The amount of Super Mario and Nintendo references I read in reviews and on Twitter is astounding.

It's excellent. Looking forward to a more ambitious and bigger budget effort from Team Asobi.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
All the praise this game is getting I'm genuinely considering buying a psvr just for it
Ehhhhhh I've had one since launch. You need to be real comfortable with the idea that it will collect dust for months, HOWEVER when a big title comes out its always good fun to pop on for a few hours.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Ehhhhhh I've had one since launch. You need to be real comfortable with the idea that it will collect dust for months, HOWEVER when a big title comes out its always good fun to pop on for a few hours.
Yep i figured this would be the case, tbh i might just get it to play this and a few other games then sell it

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
that was a more room temperature take

3D World slander will not stand tho, that game is a masterpiece
Fair enough.
I am honestly dead serious lol.

I'm trying to remember what the wii u had that didnt/wont eventually make the switch.

And 3d world was honestly that bland. I've never played 3d land though
Some prefer 3D Land, some prefer 3D World. WiiU has still a few exclusives making it worth owning (not buying mind you, no point now) like W101, XCX, TMS, Pikmin 3, etc. But that's another topic.
Best game of the year. Best platformer of the generation. I agree, give them all the money for the inevitable sequel.

I mean, that would be a whole other game. It really wouldn't work outside of VR.
I also remember some saying that Tearaway couldn't work if not on Vita for example.
It would need to work differently for sure (from what I've seen, didn't play the game, I don't have PSVR), but there's always solutions that can be taken for new versions of a game, even if it removes some of the charm.
I think what some want in this thread anyway, is that if this studio have more freedom and a bigger budget, they could be capable of even more, VR or not.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very close to buying PSVR. Will probably buy one nearer Christmas and because of the feedback this will be one of the first games I buy and play.

I'm a bit confused, what does VR for a platformer add though? Just make you feel more part of the World. I thought most VR games were first person.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I also remember some saying that Tearaway couldn't work if not on Vita for example.
It would need to work differently for sure (from what I've seen, didn't play the game, I don't have PSVR), but there's always solutions that can be taken for new versions of a game, even if it removes some of the charm.
I think what some want in this thread anyway, is that if this studio have more freedom and a bigger budget, they could be capable of even more, VR or not.

You could absolutely make a non-VR Astro Bot, but both the level designs and several of he game mechanics in this game are explicitly designed for VR. It would more or less have to be a new game, and removing the VR aspect of the game would remove a lot of the magic.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Playing Astro remembers me of Mario, masterpiece level design, outstanding graphical style, smooth as butter controls.

10/10.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Saying it could be made without VR is like asking for Mario 64 to be made in 2D. Yes it's possible, but it's not the same game.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
When does Super Mario 64 moment thing happened a few weeks ago, I was cackling. I had never heard of the game. I took a quick look at it, decided it was cute, and went to make some jokes.

But that didn't get me to notice the game. Last night, I looked at NX gamers video about it, and that really showcased the game. This will be one of the first games I get four psvr.

I did notice the game has stuff ripped straight out of Mario 64, tho. Like, shameless lol. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Saying it could be made without VR is like asking for Mario 64 to be made in 2D. Yes it's possible, but it's not the same game.
True.

some quotes from different reviews:

Astro Bot: Rescue Mission is a showcase to how VR should be utilized moving forward.

A smart, funny, unpredictable game that testifies to how the VR can truly change any game.

Astro Bot Rescue Mission delivers on the potential of PSVR and is a must-buy for owners of the device.

Super Mario 64 showed us the possibilities of 3D platform gaming more than 20 years ago. Now, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission is finally here to do the same for VR.

A superb game; the promising result of tasking a group of clearly talented game designers and developers with building a game around a brand new medium like VR

Α condensation of brilliant ideas and decidedly inspired platforming, which, thanks to VR, acquires an enchanting dimension.

Astro Bot is really the PlayStation VR's killer app, and defines what VR can do, a bit like what Mario 64 did for the 3D.

In some ways, it is to virtual reality what Mario 64 was to 3D, as it uses a new technology to push new boundaries in the genre.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we should call it VR platformer so people understand it's hard to translate it into a 3D platformer.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I got a PSVR over the weekend and bought this just because of ERA hype... which is something I -never- do but I love fun, charming platformers.

Game is SO FUN. I can't play a lot because I'm getting used to VR but it's such a neat concept and I love it. Also, I'm having way more WOW moments with VR than I ever thought I would. I've never touched any VR related thing side from VR Troopers (lol) so this is all brand new to me. I can't wait to play more.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
You could absolutely make a non-VR Astro Bot, but both the level designs and several of he game mechanics in this game are explicitly designed for VR. It would more or less have to be a new game, and removing the VR aspect of the game would remove a lot of the magic.
That's what I said yeah. Just like Tearaway PS4 loses some of the magic of the Vita version.
But the point was for a game after that anyway, not a new version.
Cf reply above, but you're really exaggerating in your comparison.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
That's what I said yeah. Just like Tearaway PS4 loses some of the magic of the Vita version.
But the point was for a game after that anyway, not a new version.

Cf reply above, but you're really exaggerating in your comparison.

He is really not exaggerating that much.. Okay maybe a little but it would be such a fundamentally different game. Way more different than Tearaway vita and PS4. They would have to alter the design in a massive, massive way to the point that it becomes a completely separate entry.

Last edited:

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I shall try to play it entirely on the social screen, see how far I can go.
That should be real test on how much Astrobot can translate into none vr.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first game that really makes me want VR. Platformers are my favorite genre and we barely have good ones in the 3D space anymore. I don't want to miss out on this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Between this, Tetris Effect and (hopefully) Déraciné, PS VR will have a killer final quarter. Heard good things about The Persistence as well.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This game has made me regret selling my PSVR, although I got rid of it for not allowing my PS4 Pro to work with HDR (finally fixed a year later, early adopters screwed) and having such crap controls (PS Move). But I am not going to re-purchase a PSVR just for 1 game (and most VR games still use the horrible PS Move controllers which wont be fixed until PSVR 2.0 on PS5 ;p). Maybe I'll give in and rebuy the PSVR if there is ever a super sale to like $150 but it would probably be left over stock of the old version without HDR passthrough, which would be a big no for me.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017

The amount of Super Mario and Nintendo references I read in reviews and on Twitter is astounding.

It's excellent. Looking forward to a more ambitious and bigger budget effort from Team Asobi.

I can't tell if that's hyperbole or high praise. I wouldn't say that Nintendo platformers are infallible, but they've made groundbreaking games in the genre and to say that this game rivals all of them is intriguing to say the least.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
True.

some quotes from different reviews:

Astro Bot: Rescue Mission is a showcase to how VR should be utilized moving forward.

A smart, funny, unpredictable game that testifies to how the VR can truly change any game.

Astro Bot Rescue Mission delivers on the potential of PSVR and is a must-buy for owners of the device.

Super Mario 64 showed us the possibilities of 3D platform gaming more than 20 years ago. Now, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission is finally here to do the same for VR.

A superb game; the promising result of tasking a group of clearly talented game designers and developers with building a game around a brand new medium like VR

Α condensation of brilliant ideas and decidedly inspired platforming, which, thanks to VR, acquires an enchanting dimension.

Astro Bot is really the PlayStation VR's killer app, and defines what VR can do, a bit like what Mario 64 did for the 3D.

In some ways, it is to virtual reality what Mario 64 was to 3D, as it uses a new technology to push new boundaries in the genre.
That sounds like a lot of different reviewers pulling from each other and rewording lol.

Glad people are liking the game. I'm looking forward to someone critical breaking down what make the level design markedly better than other recent 3d platformers.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
He is really not exaggerating that much.. Okay maybe a little but it would be such a fundamentally different game. Way more different than Tearaway vita and PS4. They would have to alter the design in a massive, massive way to the point that it becomes a completely separate entry.

I just don't see it. It would lose all its magic and be too linear and straightforward but it will not be a massive departure.

I shall try to play it entirely on the social screen, see how far I can go.
That should be real test on how much Astrobot can translate into none vr.

That's a really interesting experience to make. The headbutt gimmicks will be a pain though and exploration will be very limited because you can't move the "camera".

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Also on a side note I hope Nintendo also develop a VR game eventually because just thinking of the possibilities of them translating some of their IPs to VR has me all giddy. That level design possiblities with their talent.....
Hope so too. It would be good for VR.

Kinda stings having a PS4 right in front of me yet this game out of my reach.
No one told me VR would lead to quality 3D platformers!
Nobody knew.

This isn't the same for everyone. Personally I've never gone more than a few weeks without using mine and I know quite a few regular users. Depends on the games you like to play and if they are available and plentiful.

That's a really interesting experience to make. The headbutt gimmicks will be a pain though and exploration will be very limited because you can't move the "camera".
Sounds like a nightmare...

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
This game sounds so good. I honestly wish my eyes didn't feel so strained from playing VR or I would have bought this already. It must be my contacts.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Word of mouth has sold me on the game, but I haven't been able to find a physical copy from the online stores I've got any credit with.

I just picked up Firewall Zero Hour, so hopefully that can keep my attention until availability increases. The fact that the OT for Astro Bot is outpacing Firewall's surprised me - seems like it could really be a hit in the VR space.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This game has made me regret selling my PSVR, although I got rid of it for not allowing my PS4 Pro to work with HDR (finally fixed a year later, early adopters screwed) and having such crap controls (PS Move). But I am not going to re-purchase a PSVR just for 1 game (and most VR games still use the horrible PS Move controllers which wont be fixed until PSVR 2.0 on PS5 ;p). Maybe I'll give in and rebuy the PSVR if there is ever a super sale to like $150 but it would probably be left over stock of the old version without HDR passthrough, which would be a big no for me.
I'm in the same boat. Those are the reasons I sold my V1 PSVR, aside from the HDR issues I just didn't use it much at all, hated all the wires, the camera, the clutter. But Moss and Astro Bot have made me regret my decision slightly. I'm going to try and be patient until a wireless PSVR exists next gen or whatever and then catch up on these games via the inevitable BC. That should be glorious time.

I've got to give such Kudos to Sony though for supporting it like they have with games like this - they surely must be loss making, but Sony is clearly playing the long game and building up a great library for more refined versions of the hardware in future.