• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
I really don't understand why astrology produces such strong reactions and everyone has to beat up on how stupid everyone is who reads it. It's just for fun. My girlfriend is into astrology and people love to "explain" to her how it's all made up, as if she genuinely believes that the position of a planet is directly going to change something in her life. We are aware that all horoscopes are broad enough that anyone can see themselves in it, it's still usually decent life advice packaged in a fun way that can spur a thought or conversation. She recently gave me a tarot card reading for fun and it sparked a really great conversation about my brother. Neither of us were thinking that the cards were literally destined to come up in a specific way, but it was a good vehicle for creating a productive conversation so why bash it?

The placebo effect is also real, and there is some evidence that just by reading and believing your horoscope you are more likely to act it out.

I'm sure everyone here does all kinds of odd behavior daily out of superstition, so I'm not sure why astrology attracts so much hate. I always suspected it has a lot to do with how women are typically much more interested in astrology. When men talk about superstitions in sports no one tries to explain away their superstitions, they get that it's just silly and fun. When astrology comes up though, it's about stupid illogical women believing nonsense. Meh.

Oh God this so much

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My wife and daughter and super into astrology. I've just learned to nod my head when they're talking about planets ascending and stuff.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hear too many people say they ironically read astrology because it's fun but they don't trust it. Bullshit you're just ashamed.

Nah, there is a huge group of people who use Astrology as entertainment. The same way you check your disbelief at the door of a theater they do when reading about their signs and shit.

They can pretend there is some kind of cosmic guidance that explains all the bullshit for a few moments before coming back into reality and realizing everything is futile and garbage.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I am very surprised about that stat in the OP regarding guys of any age group reading their horoscopes -- even if it's only once a month. I thought this was more or less exclusively a female phenomenon. Pretty surprising.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
iirc there is a Radiolab episode that gets into how your birthdate correlates to success in sports, because it determines if you are bigger or smaller for your age group.

I dont believe that Im defined by my astrology sign, or that any horoscope meant for millions of people could accurately apply to me, but I do believe that there could be some Farmer's Almanac-esque correlation between the time of year when you are born and personality traits in a much larger population.

Otherwise, yeah, astrology its just icons and symbols we ascribe meaning to, and in turn buy into in order to ascribe meaning back on ourselves. Like a lot of culture is.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand people who read horoscopes for entertainment value. At least with fortune tellers there's the performance aspect, is reading some farted out copy in a newspaper that could mean anything all that interesting?

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand people who read horoscopes for entertainment value. At least with fortune tellers there's the performance aspect, is reading some farted out copy in a newspaper that could mean anything all that interesting?
Even worse, ask yourself this: if you took the same text and replaced the title with "General Well being Advice" would most people still read it? I think the answer is No.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Any time someone asks me what my sign is, I ask them to guess. No one gets it right because my sign doesn't describe me at all. Way, way off. It's fun.

But then, I am also that asshole who, when asked what my Meyer-Briggs type is, responds with "Depends on if I take it in the morning or the evening, if I've gotten enough sleep, and if I'm hangry." All of which is true! I can get 4-5 different types off that thing depending what mood I am in when I take it.

I did used to do tarot reading when I was younger, not because I believed in mystical forces changing the order of the cards to give me a message, but because the cold/warm reading and performance aspects of it were interesting to me. And it does tend to provoke odd and fun conversations. So that one I don't mind as much.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I was never into this as meaningful, but I think the signs have cool looking avatars.

I do look down on people who take it seriously.

But my own weakness is Meyers-Briggs. I guess it's based on *something* but it's not really meaningful either. But I think of it as fun the way I suppose people who think astrology is fun do.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Hunh, interesting. My sister-in-law runs an online business with an astrology base, I wonder if this means she's been seeing a rise in how busy she is.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Determinist sillyness. The article does make a point that the current uncertainty of events and destabilization of nations may be fueling this revival. Determinism is a great way to rationalize not taking responsibility for oneself.

A man can change his stars.
hqdefault.jpg

The origins of astrology seem to be developed from observations of the seasonal/tidal effects of sun and moon against the background of stars. Like an agricultural calendar that over time became extended to encompass many things in the natural world as humanity gained technique and understanding of the observable universe and studied ways to predict and control the world.
There may be some value in it.
I generally like to keep astrology to the agricultural aspects with a poetic religious twist. Sometimes it's fun to spin up a birth chart or use an astronomy app to look at the astrological weather of someone's birth and chat about it.
The passion for astrology did a lot to advance the understanding of astronomy if some of the history about Kepler and others is true.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the people around me in college are "into" astrology in that we just use it as an ice-breaker on Tinder. Comparing it to flat-earthism is a lil bit overboard. But I do know chicks that go the full nine yards with it: tarot readings, healing crystals, sage, etc. I call one of my friends Dr. Strange because of it. I don't really let it bother me though, seems harmless.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Do people really think that the month you were born in, completely determines your own personality as well as the millions of people who were born in the same month?

I'm sure that everyone who says Scorpios are X,Y and Z knows someone who is a Scorpio but has none of those personality traits.

Astrology is just random traits that we want to be true about ourselves. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnum_effect

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
My ex is really into it but would consider herself half the next sign because it was like a week away when it suited her. Fucking joke lol.

In that case I'm half-Pisces because I'm on the last day of Aquarius. In fact, I've seen at least one astrology column that said Pisces starts on February 18th, or even the 20th.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've noticed it too. I try not to engage, but it's whatever. People will always find something on the edge of knowledge to believe in. it's human nature

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand that:

I found that 70% read a horoscope column once a month and 51% valued its advice.
45% thought it described their personalities
25% said it can make accurate forecasts
VS
20% think the stars influence life on Earth.
So, some people don't believe the stars influence life, but think the horoscope and sun signs are legit? How does it work?
(Except if they make the distinction between "stars" and "planets+sun+moon", in which case, fair game.... though I doubt it).

Not that it'll matter with the scientism in these kind of threads, but people serious about astrology actually know horoscopes published in newspaper/clickbait sites are bullshit and sun signs are just a fraction of what you need to do an accurate reading.
Charlatans screw us up hard.

Regardless, the only horoscope that gives accurate readings is this one.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World should be mandatory curriculum for all public grade school students. Make them read it in elementary, middle, and high school. Write reports on it, do projects on the material, create speaches about it, do everything, drill it into their heads until they understand it completely.

I swear, nothing makes me more frustrated than this type of pseudoscience bullshit. Just the other day I had an argument about homeopathic remedies with a coworker who is otherwise brilliant, but was spending hundreds on allergy cures. Ahhhhhh makes me want to scream.

I'm sorry to rant but I'm primed to explode on this particular topic. It's not harmless fun either, it belies a fundamental misunderstanding of how to process information and how to reason properly. If someone cant think clearly on topics such as astrology, then I cant trust them with anything. I should add this to my round of interview questions.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
Myers-Briggs craze was the warning, basically astrology for boring people
Yes my god, that mess is worse because instead of fun little symbols and animals and shit you have a bunch of nonsense acronyms and some people genuinely expect you to know what they mean when they tell you "I'm an ENTJ, we're like that sometimes lol"

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never felt it go away to be honest. Since I was a kid I have always known people that are totally into it.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes my god, that mess is worse because instead of fun little symbols and animals and shit you have a bunch of nonsense acronyms and some people genuinely expect you to know what they mean when they tell you "I'm an ENTJ, we're like that sometimes lol"

For real though. I don't know what the fuck that all means, least of all what every combination is supposed to be?

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most people don't even know their actual sign because the books are centuries out-of-date.
That alone should make anyone stop believing, but they don't want to face how dumb they've been acting.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand why astrology produces such strong reactions and everyone has to beat up on how stupid everyone is who reads it. It's just for fun. My girlfriend is into astrology and people love to "explain" to her how it's all made up, as if she genuinely believes that the position of a planet is directly going to change something in her life. We are aware that all horoscopes are broad enough that anyone can see themselves in it, it's still usually decent life advice packaged in a fun way that can spur a thought or conversation. She recently gave me a tarot card reading for fun and it sparked a really great conversation about my brother. Neither of us were thinking that the cards were literally destined to come up in a specific way, but it was a good vehicle for creating a productive conversation so why bash it?

The placebo effect is also real, and there is some evidence that just by reading and believing your horoscope you are more likely to act it out.

I'm sure everyone here does all kinds of odd behavior daily out of superstition, so I'm not sure why astrology attracts so much hate. I always suspected it has a lot to do with how women are typically much more interested in astrology. When men talk about superstitions in sports no one tries to explain away their superstitions, they get that it's just silly and fun. When astrology comes up though, it's about stupid illogical women believing nonsense. Meh.

I mean in your own words men are doing it for fun and games while women are using their superstitions to get life advice.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Something good may happen, but watch out for the thing. You know...the thing.

Congrats please read my horoscopes for all of you.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
What do astrology people do when the stars in their constellation move or die? Many could've died a thousand years ago but the light hasn't reached us yet.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Do environmental factors have an effect on personality development? Whilst the predictions and exact personality profiles are utter shite, I do wonder if it came about due to certain personality traits coming out dependent on the season someone was born. So someone born at the beginning of Spring, spends the first 6 months of life warm and bright, born at the beginning of Autumn (Fall) and spends the first 6 months of life cold and dark. Would this have an impact on personality? Studies done on this subject suggest it does.

Thousands of years ago it may have been used to explain away certain personality traits that were just a factor of environment. In today's world, at least in developed nations those environmental impacts would be much less noticeable. And even if there was any truth in the personality types that Astrology talks about it would change depending on location.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
is it based on the positions of the stars, or are the positions of the stars merely a time measurement indicator for the belief system?

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people my age look it up "for fun" and laugh it off but I'm sure a sizable amount of them really believe it and are just lying about it.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
is it based on the positions of the stars, or are the positions of the stars merely a time measurement indicator for the belief system?

It's supposed to be based on the positions of the stars. In practice it's based on dates derived from the positions of the stars 3,000 years ago.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe in horoscopes but I still read them because they give me hope that something might get better in a world that treats me like shit