• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
tr00per

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
The rolling ball levels WRECKED my nerves. Are there any other levels that have a similar effect? Are there more rolling ball levels? (i completely finished that "land" and got the PS1 at the end, btw)
Similar how? There's always the danger of falling.

I had a few people say no one is sleeping on it, but I had a friend that I had to convince to even try it. Perhaps it's not too common on Era, but it certainly happens in the mainstream

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
Finish it this morning! Got all the puzzle pieces and artifacts.

Such a wonderful game, had a smile on my face the entire time.

The rain and hail section was amazing!

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Late game question:
Is there a way to go back to the PS5 level without beating the final boss again? I see I missed two trophies there and I'm very curious what they are but when I google my question I see stuff about how to get them, which I want to figure out on my own.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
I think this does a good job proving that the charm of astrobot was never really the vr, it was just the fact that the studio behind the game is really talented and knows how to make a good platformer.

Feb 23, 2019
I think this does a good job proving that the charm of astrobot was never really the vr, it was just the fact that the studio behind the game is really talented and knows how to make a good platformer.

Yeah

I'm really curious about the history of this studio - Team Asobi.

They have created games that are basically on par with peak Nintendo in terms of attention to detail/charm.

Are they made up of ex-Nintendo employees? The charm/joy these games produce is unrivaled

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
Even after getting the platinum, I just can't stop playing it. I think it's because of the DS implementation

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The controller is the star of the show. The game itself is quite good, but can't match rescue mission without vr.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
I heard the people hyping up the rainfall and stuff and that was great, but I was not prepared for the spaceship. Wow, that was amazing.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone know if choosing New Game will reset progress? Are there multiple saves? I want to show this to my wife and have her start a new game, but I don't remember seeing a "Load" option, so I'm unsure whether you can have multiple files or not.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if choosing New Game will reset progress? Are there multiple saves? I want to show this to my wife and have her start a new game, but I don't remember seeing a "Load" option, so I'm unsure whether you can have multiple files or not.
Just make a new profile for her.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
My first ever Platinum, despite owning a PlayStation console since 1997 (the other 2 on my account are by my son completing the Telltales Minecraft games).

Such a great introduction to the PS5 and the DualSense controller. The way the controller represents the change in weather from wind to rain to sleet is just fantastic.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
My first ever Platinum, despite owning a PlayStation console since 1997 (the other 2 on my account are by my son completing the Telltales Minecraft games).

Such a great introduction to the PS5 and the DualSense controller. The way the controller represents the change in weather from wind to rain to sleet is just fantastic.

Right there with you. Just got the plat(my first one ever) a little bit ago. Felt like a little kid again while playing through it. Constantly smiling.

bagomagik

Jan 8, 2019
An absolute joy of a game. I platinumed this and thought I would come back to the Run Astro Run trophy bc it would be difficult, it actually only took me clearing each level once to get it. I actually wish it were harder, or that there were more levels to run through like that. Are there any games where I can get that same feeling from? I'm thinking of picking up Sackboy bc of how much fun I had with Astro. At least to hold me over until 3D World releases next year. This made me instantly want to play more platformers.

GOOCHY

Oct 29, 2017
This is my second platinum trophy after Ratchet & Clank PS4. Such a great game! It's a love letter to Sony past and present. The artifacts and comments about them are just awesome.

Please Sony, make a full sized Astro game in the same vein. You knocked it out of the park.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Probably the first thing I play while I wait for my other games to download. I probably won't play beyond the first level though as these are not my type of games. Will be a neat sneak peek at what the controller does.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine anyone who cares anything about anything Sony has done over the last 20 years will get a kick out of all the fan service and callbacks. It's really cute.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Got my 2nd platinum ever because of this game.

Astro's Playroom is fantastic. I hope for a sequel that expands on the concepts further. More varied worlds, different suits (The Frog and Monkey Suit were okay, also Ball form was neat too), I'd like to see something like Astro turning into Bird with some limited flight ability. Or larger creature which allows him to lift heavy objects that impede his progress.

Asobo have a winner here. This has fantastic potential to become a major platforming series for Sony, but some folks might think there might be too much overlap with Sackboy. Well I say this. If multiple 3rd person action series can co-exist in Sony's repertoire, then multiple platforming series can co-exist as well, just like how Mario, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, and Yoshi can co-exist at the same time being Nintendo platformers.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
Sony was so smart to bundle this in. They were able to accomplish 3 things:
  1. Demo the possibilities of the DualSense haptic feedback and adaptive triggers to the players.
  2. Demo the extents of what you can do with the new features to developers. Astro's Playroom will have a huge effect on developer's implementation of haptic feedback and adaptive triggers.
  3. Introduce tens of millions of players to Astro, who got to shine on PSVR, but only managed to reach a small percentage of the population.

Astro's positive reception hopefully means Sony will let Team Asobi loose on a AAA big budget platformer featuring Astro.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Second favorite pack-in game of all time! Everything is so well done and I love it!

First best pack-in game is the maze game that was on the Sega Master System if you started it without a cartridge.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Consider this post a petition for a fully fledged non-VR Astro Bot game, thank you very much.
giphy.gif
whether we got a full non VR title for Astrobot or not will probably depends on when Sony is releasing PSVR2. if it's in 2022, I imagine they're busy making Astro Bot game for PSVR2 launch title

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
  1. Demo the possibilities of the DualSense haptic feedback and adaptive triggers to the players.
  2. Demo the extents of what you can do with the new features to developers. Astro's Playroom will have a huge effect on developer's implementation of haptic feedback and adaptive triggers.
  3. Introduce tens of millions of players to Astro, who got to shine on PSVR, but only managed to reach a small percentage of the population.

Astro's positive reception hopefully means Sony will let Team Asobi loose on a AAA big budget platformer featuring Astro.
I would add a fourth point: 25 years of PlayStation history, easter eggs and brand awareness summarized in one game. Doing a bit what Smash Bros does but in a pack-in game.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the first thing I play while I wait for my other games to download. I probably won't play beyond the first level though as these are not my type of games. Will be a neat sneak peek at what the controller does.

Each of the 4 worlds shows off something new/different with the controller. Highly recommend you play them all. They are pretty short.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Got the platinum for the game, my profile says it took 6 hours. Absolutely loved it, please make a full game.

It kinda killed my Demon's Souls hype a bit though lol. Now I have to go back to a depressing world after Astro's playful and cheery world.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Got the platinum for the game, my profile says it took 6 hours. Absolutely loved it, please make a full game.

It kinda killed my Demon's Souls hype a bit though lol. Now I have to go back to a depressing world after Astro's playful and cheery world.

I still occasionally load up Astro Boy to go to the GPU Jungle starting area just to listen to the GPU song.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm glad people are finally discovering Astro Bot. Unfuckwithable charm.

I bet if we have a poll again about Sony's best mascot after the PS5 is out in all regions, the result will be quite different.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at this jungle level. The first couple of levels I played were cool, but this is the one that really wow'd me more than anything else. I want to see developers use this shit dramatically across all genres. You know what to do.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Do you like collectathons?
Do you have nostalgia for previous generations?
Do you enjoy unique gameplay experiences?
Do you like games with polish and charm?
Do you want a good demonstration of the capabilities of your new console?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, I implore you to not skip this game. It's not just a tech demo. It's amazing in every way.

Some of my favorite bits
-the recreation of popular playstation games
-the 3D sound in SSD Speedway
-all the different transformations and how they change up the gameplay and use of the controller
-The differences in "texture" of the surfaces
-the nods to rescue mission
-how the music in memory meadow changes
-I could FEEL the raindrops!
-playstation labo
Started it today and it oozes personality and i feel astro could be even better with a full fledged game too.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
The soundtrack is surprisingly great too. I've had that GPU level song stuck in my head since Thursday

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
My takes on it:

- The raindrops really feel real.
- The walking between grass, rocks, mud, snow, metal, ice, glass, . It all feels different. It is not obnoxious though.
- Wind/ sandstorms are felt hard.
- The resistance on the triggers is awesome. Will be cool for guns and bows.
- The nods to the playstation stuff is cool, i am looking for the socom easter egg though.
- walking on clouds is interesting and bubbly and light.
- Amazing and revolutionary overall.

Bloodshed

Oct 29, 2017
Is this my game of the year I was thinking tonight, maybe not but the fact that I'm even debating that is astounding

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

Agree. It's a blueprint for developers to understand how certain haptic techniques are implemented - not only on a technological level but also within the context of game mechanics.

I would also add that Astro serves as a digital museum of the history of Playstation. It's honestly kind of cool to just load up the game and walk around the trophy room and take it all in. Anyone who has owned a previous PS console, specifically older systems like the PS1 and PS2, will definitely get a kick of nostalgia and maybe become a little emotional at it all.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Rain drop, Drop-top...

If your game is not making rain feel like Astro's does on the Dualsense, you're doing it wrong.

Edit:

I have Demon's Souls and Miles. This is the most next-gen thing so far.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Team Asobi is the new king of platformers. I platinumed this today and the entire time I just had a huge smile on my face. It's fun without being frustrating, it's simply beautifully to look at, it controls like an absolute dream, the music is amazing, and all of the nostalgia hit me perfectly.

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I got the Platinum this morning and as a PlayStation fan I loved every second of it. The cameos, the nostalgia, the music... it's pure magic.

It also makes incredible use of the DualSense's new features. One of the things that impressed me the most was how you can actually feel the difference when walking across different types of terrain. This feels like true next-gen to me.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I would also add that Astro serves as a digital museum of the history of Playstation. It's honestly kind of cool to just load up the game and walk around the trophy room and take it all in. Anyone who has owned a previous PS console, specifically older systems like the PS1 and PS2, will definitely get a kick of nostalgia and maybe become a little emotional at it all.

I've owned all the PlayStations (and all at launch except the PS4) and was especially into the 1 and 2. I had a remarkable amount of the items from those two areas of the showcase. The multi tap, the mouse (why? I cannot recall), the PS2 network adapter. I know it's not a Sony product but I wish the NeGcon had made an appearance.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I just finished playing through GPU Jungle after setting up my PS5. This game is wonderful and a joy to play. My wife had a great time too, and she's not much of a gamer. The game is full of charm. I can't wait to play more tomorrow.

Also: the Dual Sense is a fantastic controller. The triggers in particular are incredible.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
It's mindblowingly good. It honestly makes me think PlayStation finally has its Mario. I would now kill for a full fledged platformer from that team. Like wow.

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic games. Game references are pretty funny.

It's kind of interesting that collectables that had production run in japan like ds3 has detailed "made in japan" stickers on the back but devices made in china like ds4 are blank.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Rain drop, Drop-top...

If your game is not making rain feel like Astro's does on the Dualsense, you're doing it wrong.

Edit:

I have Demon's Souls and Miles. This is the most next-gen thing so far.

I still boot it up to play with the rain levels. So good.

I want a detective noir game with these sorta haptics. I want to experience rain hitting my trenchcoat whilst investigating some murder scene in a dark alley somewhere.