• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's reported that the following six companies: AT&T, Coca-Cola, Walmart, Eli Lily, Pfizer and Aetna have donated money to politicians that advocated for and enacted abortion bans: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/war-on-women-backers-att?t=11&akid=32766.5501824.6OaZlw

It's clear that Republican lawmakers want to strip away women's rights and control their bodies. Their ultimate goal is to overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court decision that affirmed a woman's constitutional right to an abortion. With two Trump justices – one a known sexual predator and both anti-choice extremists – we've never been closer to a Supreme Court decision that could weaken or even strip away a woman's constitutional right to abortion.

The right-wing extremists responsible for these attacks in Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri and Ohio are in office in part thanks to campaign contributions from:2

• AT&T, which donated at least $196,600 to anti-choice Republicans in those six states
  • Coca-Cola, which gave $40,800 to right-wing campaigns in five of those states
  • Walmart, which made $57,700 in contributions across the six states
  • Eli Lilly, which contributed $66,250 to anti-woman extremists in five of the states
  • Pfizer, which donated $53,650 in the six states
  • Aetna, which put $26,600 in the coffers of right-wing Republicans in the six states

This report details the contributions from six corporations that showed up frequently in the recent campaign finance reports of the politicians in these six states leading the charge to ban abortion.

AT&T: $196,600 across six states
Walmart: $57,700 across six states
Pfizer: $53,650 across six states
Eli Lilly: $66,250 across five states
Coca-Cola: $40,800 across five states
Aetna: $26,600 across four states

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
What, no Chik-fil-a? Or is it just safe to assume that they have also at this point?

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
thats an easy blame game. The question is did the companies know that these politicians were planning to pass an abortion ban? if yes then fu** those companies if no then its not fair to blame them i think ?!

its like you going to vote and 2 years later that political party comes up with a terrible abortion ban. Something you didnt know before you voted. I hope my comment makes sense.

Crocks

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I suspect they've mostly all given loads of money to pro-choice politicians too. I doubt Coke have a stance on abortion, they just want friends in legislative places.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I honestly think those companies donated for the tax breaks, rather than for the abortion ban. The latter is something they merely got on the side. Corporations donating to republicans is nothing new.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I'm not surprised. I mean I sorta figured most organizations are for something fucked up.

So what we doin here? What yall doin?

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yep. I'm not surprised. I mean I sorta figured most organizations are for something fucked up.

So what we doin here? What yall doin?

do you really think Walmart or coca cola donated money to get an abortion ban signed? come on :/

as somebody here said. Most likely it was to get tax brakes not to ban abortions.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think most of these companies really care one way or another it just so happens that the same politicians who vote in abortion bans are most often also republicans who are very pro corporation anti-consumer. All those companies want favors in this corrupt administration wich is republican with a republican senate so that's where the money will flow.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
thats an easy blame game. The question is did the companies know that these politicians were planning to pass an abortion ban? if yes then fu** those companies if no then its not fair to blame them i think ?!

its like you going to vote and 2 years later that political party comes up with a terrible abortion ban. Something you didnt know before you voted. I hope my comment makes sense.
These companies aren't donating blindly to politicians...

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
do you really think Walmart or coca cola donated money to get an abortion ban signed? come on :/
I'm not sure if it's that exactly but I don't necessarily trust big companies like that lol. I don't think there's 1 huge company out there that isn't for at least 1 crazy messed up thing.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

as somebody here said. Most likely it was to get tax brakes not to ban abortions.
"Come on man, don't be mad about them trying to screw over women... They were unintentional consequences of fucking over the working class and poor!"

You've convinced me!!!

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I am willing to bet that many of these corporations have donated to pro choice politicians as well because they are donating to "buy" access not a specific social policy. For the most part, if it doesn't directly affect their bottom line. They don't care.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think those companies donated for the tax breaks, rather than for the abortion ban. The latter is something they merely got on the side.
We're long past the point when anyone can maintain any pretense of plausible deniability for actions taken by the team they're on. Not in this political climate. No one's using dog whistles anymore; they're parading their corruption and cruelty in plain view. And people are trying to make the case that these companies didn't know whose beds they were crawling into? Even if we take that ludicrous claim at face value, though this is as silly as the Loch Ness monster, oppression "merely got on the side" remains a thoroughly indefensible position. If you're making political donations, it's your duty to know.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think those companies donated for the tax breaks, rather than for the abortion ban. The latter is something they merely got on the side. Corporations donating to republicans is nothing new.

Yeah, Coca-Cola for example donates to all the frontrunners I imagine. Not that it lets them off the hook for this.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Narrative is strange here. They donated because the GOP is hyper pro business. The abortion stuff just comes with the meal. But they care more about the business benefits.

The "narrative" is that Republicans aren't hiding this shit. They are body slamming reporters, they are openly rigging elections and they are telling us that they will take our rights away. The tax cuts came with the meal, the "abortion stuff" was the main course because they know now if their chance.

I'm not about to start cutting corporations any slack, because hey, they're people. They should be criticized just like anybody else.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, donating to shitbag politicians is one thing.

But I feel this is just more along the lines of these companies have donated to Republicans who just so happen to have also enacted anti-women abortion laws.

I don't think these companies donated to these shitbags while stating "Ban abortion or the gravy train ends."

But yes, being critical of these companies is a good thing. As if anyone need more reasons than just this hate companies like WalMart, Pfizer, and AT&Tz

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The dollar amounts aren't high enough to have any real conviction behind them; this looks like standard pay to play.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
We're long past the point when anyone can maintain any pretense of plausible deniability for actions taken by the team they're on. Not in this political climate. No one's using dog whistles anymore; they're parading their corruption and cruelty in plain view. And people are trying to make the case that these companies didn't know whose beds they were crawling into? Even if we take that ludicrous claim at face value, though this is as silly as the Loch Ness monster, oppression "merely got on the side" remains a thoroughly indefensible position. If you're making political donations, it's your duty to know.
I mean 'insert your favorite politician' is in the same bed. These companies make million dollar donations to the DNC and the GOP, so pretty much every politician out there is getting their beak wet one way or another.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Disgusting how much power and influence all those corporations and brands have over society. It's completely fucked up.