• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gacha Santa Alter

"This guy are sick"
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
As a rule of thumb, I don't mess with wild animals. I really don't mess with wild animals close to my weight. And I really, really, really don't mess with animals, wild or otherwise, three or four times my weight.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
I vividly remember when my dad and I learned that crocodiles/alligators could run: we were watching one of the Planet Earth documentaries and it had one on land just doing it's normal crawling thing. But then it stops and lifts itself up and just starts to run. We were both rather disturbed by this.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I guess that's part of the problem, yesterday I saw a Tiktok of a guy running around grabbing all sort of wildlife from snakes, deers, turtles and more relevantly alligators and it didn't seem like some human eating machine. But it wasn't anywhere close the size of the one from the cheetah video

Just going by Wiki to give an idea of how large they can be:

The saltwater crocodile is the largest living reptile. Males can grow up to a weight of 1,000–1,500 kg (2,200–3,300 lb) and a length of 6 m (20 ft), rarely exceeding 6.3 m (21 ft).

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to OP, a crocodile didn't kill the crocodile hunter. It was a sting ray.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Depends on what they bite no? If it gets my leg or something it'd hurt like hell but not kill me. If it gets my neck or something sure but I meant more so a limb.
They don't nibble and release. They bite your leg? They hold on, death roll, and you either get your entire leg torn off and bleed to death almost immediately, or you drown, no option C.

JSRF

"This guy are sick"
Aug 23, 2023
Ok, but why do 28% think they can't beat a rat?
My imagination of a fight with a rat would be:

It bites me and is way too fast for me to do anything about it. It runs away into some hole in the wall and I die from the infection I got from the bite.

It's not like the rat is going to square up and trade blows

Nov 4, 2017
*Laughs in Queenslander* Its the croc/gator you can't see that you need to worry about.

We just had a croc fatality during the week :(

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Well, where are we fighting the rat? I'm 100% sure a rat wouldn't beat me, I don't think I could beat one either. I'd just scurry off somewhere as soon as it felt threatened, unless there was no way out.
I feel like it being a fight implies the rat isn't running away. But fuck it, you're in an arena with no escape until one of you are dead. I would just step on the rat, it might take some attempts and chasing, but I'm winning.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Depends on what they bite no? If it gets my leg or something it'd hurt like hell but not kill me. If it gets my neck or something sure but I meant more so a limb.

How high were you when you wrote this?

A cursory google image search for alligator/crocodile wound pictures would shut this goofy shit down, lmao.

As a rule of thumb, I don't mess with wild animals. I really don't mess with wild animals close to my weight. And I really, really, really don't mess with animals, wild or otherwise, three or four times my weight.

My rule of thumbs is "fuck nature". I don't fuck with nature cause I don't want nature to fuck me. I don't go ANYWHERE where nature can drop trout and go to town. No thank you.

Even then, nature has no borders. So sometimes wild animals will come to my area. Nope. I leave em be.

Gacha Santa Alter

"This guy are sick"
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I feel like it being a fight implies the rat isn't running away. But fuck it, you're in an arena with no escape until one of you are dead. I would just step on the rat, it might take some attempts and chasing, but I'm winning.

It's the only scenario where I can see able-bodied people saying they can't beat one. Maybe someone with some sort of phobia, I dunno.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
If this approaches you, it feels like it could hardly do any damage. Just manage to stay away from its mouth, jump on top of it or something and problem solved? I promise I'm not trying to sound like a "I could kill a bear" dumbass but I don't understand how these can be threatful to humans. Am I missing something?

Logic applies to literally anything

Just manage to stay away from [dangerous physical features] and problem solved. I don't understand how [thing with dangerous physical features] can threaten humans.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
What? They don't look nearly that fast. That's pretty surprising.

About the jaws, I remember reading some time ago that the jaws are powerful but only in the close direction so a human can easily keep them shut. Worst case scenario they get one bite maybe.
One bite is enough to completely remove an arm or leg, and that's if you're lucky. Hopefully it'll take the leg as its meal and there are folks nearby who can help you with a tournquet. If it grabs you and you're going along for the ride, there's really nothin you can do. Gators will roll even on land. You'd get rolled under an animal that weighs as much as a car repeatedly until your body starts coming apart.

R.58cb9b92fabe3a21d9b70b5f37c5ba20

Last edited:

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Predators like bears and wolves were wiped out in the UK, and I understand the high ideal of letting nature and innocent wild animals thrive - but at the same time, I'm kinda glad we don't have bears and wolves to worry about. I wouldn't want alligators either.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Think about it this way:

Animals are way faster and have better senses than you and they get fucked up all the time. Crocs been around for a long ass time, they're good at what they do.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
Lol

I remember seeing my first crocodile, they seem pretty chill, and suddenly the come running to you, it was really unnerving, like, you know they are fast on water but they are *very* fast on land too and it takes you by surprise.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
They literally have a special move called the 'death roll'

What other animals get a special move...

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
No, if it gets your leg, you're dead. If it gets your arm, you're dead. If it closes its jaws on any part of you, it has you. Their bite force is enormous, so you won't be getting free of the jaws. You'll either be dragged underwater to drown, or they'll death roll with whatever part of you it's got a hold of and tear you asunder, or both at once. I don't think you're going to be boxing with them with your arm torn off.
Now a "little" alligator, I guess, or a caiman, maybe. But a full size alligator, not looking good, and a grown crocodile, it's done. They crush bones with those jaws and swallow prey nearly whole, and their hide is thick and strong.

If you watch nature footage of crocodiles in African safari or wilderness, when they ambush animals at the edge of a river or lake, they're pretty much invisible underwater til they burst out for the grab. Now antelopes and the like can do some pretty crazy instinctual acrobatics to leap away from it, but all the croc needs is to catch any part of it, even around the ankle, and it's over, it'll be dragged into the water and that's the crocodile's turf. And every animal's gotta drink sometime.

Good rule of thumb is if an animal has no natural predators, definitely give them a wide berth at all times.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
A well travelled friend of the family was talking about this with work once, and mentioned making sure to never take the same path near rivers/open water multiple days in a row, because they are smart as hell and will lie in wait for you.

nopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I guess that's part of the problem, yesterday I saw a Tiktok of a guy running around grabbing all sort of wildlife from snakes, deers, turtles and more relevantly alligators and it didn't seem like some human eating machine. But it wasn't anywhere close the size of the one from the cheetah video
Are you talking about the dude looking for the 20 ft anaconda in the everglades?
He knows a lot about animals and how to keep relatively safe.

What this thread feels like is those videos of tourists going up to buffalo thinking they're harmless because they're herbivores, without realizing they're incredibly dangerous. But now you know! and knowing is half the battle

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
On land, they aren't dangerous unless they surprise you in a short distance. They're extremely fast for a couple seconds, after that they can't keep up.

If you don't already understand how they are dangerous in the water, there isn't much I can say to convince you.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
*gets bitten in the leg by a crocodile*

"Ouch, wow, this hurts like hell, but I still got the upper hand here"

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure there's not many animals on Earth that can match the bite force of a crocodile/alligator. They will crush every bone they latch onto and they will not let go.

Be thankful they're not inherently aggressive toward humans (at least not the American Alligator I'm more familiar with). If you leave them alone, they'll usually leave you alone.