Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's weird how you are aware that Hippos are considered dangerous, but not know about Gators and Crocs. I feel like if you are already down the deadly animal rabbit hole to know that, you would know the whys and hows of what makes the latter two dangerous to us.
3152-l.jpg

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
GLdQhCPacAEy6nX

Blackthorne: Tell them that alligators are weak-kneed, blunt-toothed cowards fit only for luggage and entertaining small children at birthday parties. Give me my ship and a stiff wind; I'll bring you back as many hides as you like, well-tanned and supple. Don't even get me started on pissing crocodiles. Cold blooded bastards, the lot of them.

Mariko: The Anjin says he could perhaps defeat an alligator with great effort and ingenuity.

GOAT post

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
GLdQhCPacAEy6nX

Blackthorne: Tell them that alligators are weak-kneed, blunt-toothed cowards fit only for luggage and entertaining small children at birthday parties. Give me my ship and a stiff wind; I'll bring you back as many hides as you like, well-tanned and supple. Don't even get me started on pissing crocodiles. Cold blooded bastards, the lot of them.

Mariko: The Anjin says he could perhaps defeat an alligator with great effort and ingenuity.

I could fucking HEAR this.

Best post in the thread.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If Steve-O has taught me anything it's that if you just hang a piece of meat from your ass you'll be fine.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
OP, you should go hang out with some friendly crocos and tell us how that went.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
OP: "At the risk of sounding stupid"

These are predators that haven't had to evolve much from their ancestors some 30 million years ago. We questioning if they're dangerous?? In the words of Sterling Archer "Maybe deep down I'm afraid of any apex predator that lived through the K-T extinction. Physically unchanged for a hundred million years, because it's the perfect killing machine."

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I don't think you realise how agile and cunning they are.

cgj9sQF.gif

Last edited:

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
When you think about dangerous animals, usual ones come up. Bears, Tigers, Lions, Hippos, Sharks, Snakes - but if I've learnt something from interacting with floridian-made content is that most people in florida are absolutely terrified of alligators.

This is the thing, I don't get it at all. Look at this little dude:

Alligator-Florida.jpg

If this approaches you, it feels like it could hardly do any damage. Just manage to stay away from its mouth, jump on top of it or something and problem solved? I promise I'm not trying to sound like a "I could kill a bear" dumbass but I don't understand how these can be threatful to humans. Am I missing something?

They're very fast, even on land. If they chase you you're in trouble, if they chase you in the water you're FUCKED.

What they do is grab you and twirl around thrashing the flesh they grabbed with their teeth in what's called the "death roll". They do a barrel roll and rip your flesh along with it. And their tail can break femurs if they snap it hard enough. They're very powerful.

Gacha Santa Alter

"This guy are sick"
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Real talk now, massive respect to the OP for wanting to read cool croc/gator facts but knowing if they asked for it they'd just get sent to Wikipedia so they sacrificed their pride and have been feasting all day long.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Real talk now, massive respect to the OP for wanting to read cool croc/gator facts but knowing if they asked for it they'd just get sent to Wikipedia so they sacrificed their pride and have been feasting all day long.
😐

Um yeah I don't get what's the big deal about Levar Burton I reckon I could beat him up as long as I didn't let him bite me twice.

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
Few threads are this simultaneously hilarious and infuriating, so thanks OP. Good luck out there 🫡

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
i dont think alligators are that bad on land if you keep your distance, but cant crocs outrun humans even on land?

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
GLdQhCPacAEy6nX

Era on a roll lol

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Please don't go to Florida with that type of attitude OP. Those are very very dangerous animals.

Oct 29, 2017
I would argue it is something like this.

image.png

edit : changed the graph from you swimming in the crocs on water scenario, to you walking on land in every case.

Compared to most big land predators having a healthy distance from them should be safe enough, mostly because they aren't really hunting when they are on land, but if you get close enough you quickly cross a threshold where they are capable of killing you.

On land they are dangerous in the same way electric current, land mines, and other proximity hazards are dangerous, or how venomous snakes are dangerous. They don't run after you, but being close enough for them to land one bite is more dangerous than any single bite of any high mobility mammal predator.

Last edited:

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a YouTube video from Billiam recently where he visited a Croc/Gator theme park in Florida. They had an attraction where you could "wrestle" a gator. There's a trainer, the gator has it's jaws taped shut, and you get to sit on it and take a photo. Billiam is a 6 foot guy, the gator was about 4 or 5 feet I think, not massive. Even then though when it struggled underneath him you could see the strength in it as he struggled to stay seated on it. They're tubes of muscle. I think many people underestimate the capabilities of animals and over-estimate just how well equipped we are to deal with them.

This is disgusting, animals should not be used as props.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Crocodiles are terrifying. Just watch one of many compilations on YT where they grab a gazelle by the limb and it is fucking over for the land mammal.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I vividly remember when my dad and I learned that crocodiles/alligators could run: we were watching one of the Planet Earth documentaries and it had one on land just doing it's normal crawling thing. But then it stops and lifts itself up and just starts to run. We were both rather disturbed by this.
dMnRgyz.gif

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
I have a zoologist friend who proposed the idea that the Alligator/Crocodile is the perfect lifeform. Evolution happens out of necessity. Alligators and Crocodiles are essentially unchanged for countless millions of years. They are better than everything.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I have a zoologist friend who proposed the idea that the Alligator/Crocodile is the perfect lifeform. Evolution happens out of necessity. Alligators and Crocodiles are essentially unchanged for countless millions of years. They are better than everything.
Evolution is constantly happening, even to crocodilians. When it's an improvement, the animal benefits and the mutation sticks around through subsequent generations. In the case of crocodilians and sharks, every random mutation they've had in the last 100 million years or so has been a downgrade, so.... yeah, they're pretty much peak. Evolution hasn't stopped, it just hasn't been able to improve on that design.

Dec 30, 2020
If Crocodile touches you with his hand, he can sap the moisture out of your body until you crumble to dust, it's pretty horrifying.

Nov 2, 2017

Wouldn't that make the humble horseshoe crab the perfect lifeform? Unchanged for like 450 million years.

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
This popped up in my feed today and all I could think of was this thread.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhzc5J1BJNU

This is evidence that OP is right, tbh... Person falls into the water and just gets up. If a gator rams your kayak just brush it off and leave...

Could the gator not find the human after the crash? Was probably drunk swimming in the first place, thus the hit and run...

If that nerd rammed my kayak I'd just punch him in the face. Call it "overconfidence" and "too many movies" but I think I'd be ok.

lmao holy shit