• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Think about it: we've only actually had 8 or 9 FF games that are actually good-to-great.

Most of them are so poorly-written or just plain embarrassing. ("You don't understand, MOM!!!" --Fatlus)

Prove me wrong, nerds.

01210d5352934b4414060a0c149adaaa.jpg

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
There are only two types of Final Fantasy fans- those who plays FFXIV and are happy, and those who still haven't played FFXIV and are miserable.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
FFXV felt very weird to me. Like they made a completely different RPG, then changed their minds and added some Final Fantasy hallmarks like summons and chocobos and then called it a Final Fantasy game.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just sick to death of the menus in all the games. They've sucked since 9. Too slick for their own good. 7R made me die a little inside every time you have it upgrade a weapon. Just put it in a fucking simple menu why does it have to look "cool"? Fuck.

its really the Simpsons of video games. after 9 it's all downhill with some brief sparkling yet imperfect moments That never quite reach the same highs.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
The only final fantasy games i really dont like are 8 and 13

4,6,7,9,10,11,12,14, and even 15 isnt bad.

Then all the spinoff like tactics, and 7 remake. I mostly love Final Fantasy because they take risks and change every iteration, for better or worse.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
never played these games but i grew up with a ton of people who played the first disc of vii

Negaduck

Oct 26, 2017
14 is one of the most rewarding and impressive story to me personally in any RPG i've played in a very very long time maybe ever.

the problem is that in order to experience that immense reward and see the insane presentation of storytelling, you have to go through the journey of 14, at the very least in getting to Heavenward where the story really tends to capture people.

I wish I could explain to people why 5.0 and 5.3 are some of the craziest and most awesome gaming moments to me personally.

trying to explain ff14 to people who haven't experienced it is like the Lost boys trying to get Peter to eat the imaginary food in hook. The magic is there friends.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I can't say they're bad games at all, but I personally lost interest in the series since X which I couldn't connect with at all and only was somewhat re-interested with XII even if it was a bit rocky too in places. XVI kind of has me intrigued so far, but I was never able to muster even the slightest interest in the XIIIs or XV. VIIR even if it's doing something new with the story doesn't really interest me until it's finished. III-IX were my jam, especially VII, VIII, and IX. Something about their presentation, pacing and overall gameplay/story structure just hits all the right elements for me.

MMOs were just never worth it for me, no matter how singleplayer friendly they claim to be, so XIV might be awesome from a story perspective, but I'll never be able to get into it.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying that....there hasn't been a good single player mainline entry since 12. 13, 15, 7R....so fucking bad. Spin offs haven't been good since FFTA2!

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
I just want them to do a weird/cartoony FF again where I don't play exclusively as teen fashion models.

Even FF14 die hards openly admit it has parts that you have to grind through to "Get good"
Honestly, XIV is a YMMV case when it comes to when you'll get hooked. For me? Back in A Realm Reborn with the Titan trial and then the post-trial events. It's different for everyone.

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
Even by your own standards, 8 or 9 good to great games is pretty damn good and a lot better than most long running franchises

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
to be fair, they literally had to make the game twice because they fucked it up so bad the first time

you kind of have to count XIV in the win column and the loss column
it's really hard to express just how bad 1.0 was

but it's easy to remind everyone that it ruined the trajectory of the whole company for a few years while they panicked to fix it

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If you mean single player ones then yes I think you're right. Hopefully 16 is good.

e: Still no PC port of 7 remake so can't play that yet despite really wanting to. Maybe it's good.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
i am a simple woman with simple tastes, i enjoy pretty people, and thus this makes my favorites be 7, 8, 13, 14, and 15.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
to be fair, they literally had to make the game twice because they fucked it up so bad the first time

you kind of have to count XIV in the win column and the loss column
2 years of 1.0 versus 8 amazing years of 2.0~on. I think the "win" column has a lot more check marks at this point.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say any of them have been bad. But, yeah, it's been a long time since they really knocked one out of the park.

Outside of XIV, of course. That game is indeed perfection.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Everyone can have their opinions, but I would consider the majority of mainline games great.

XIII and XV are the only ones I don't consider at least good.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I mean if you didn't play XIV I can see how one would have this opinion.

XVI is gonna change the perception of so many people.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, XIV is a YMMV case when it comes to when you'll get hooked. For me? Back in A Realm Reborn with the Titan trial and then the post-trial events. It's different for everyone.

Yeah, but its also basically a WoW inspired MMO, meaning if you're not into that kind of thing I doubt it will convince you, especially A Realm Reborn.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Kyoufu, you're my friend and I love the band... but I don't really like MMORPGs (my loss, I know..) and FF15 had me UN-hyped for FF16.

x_X

Final Fantasy is wackadoodle!

15 has literally nothing to do with 16.

Strange thread ngl