• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Like, what's the point of no return in which people of sound mind and rational risk aversion would throw that all away and put guns in their home?

Personally, trump wins 2020 again, im just assuming the American project is over, and I'm gonna make sure I can protect myself.

Or, I don't want to hypothesize something that actually comes to fruition, but what if when trump actually does lose 2020, his cult starts attacking people on the streets with higher frequency than they already are?
Was El Paso just the beginning?

Please lock if too paranoid of a thread

Edit: some of y'all ain't reading this anyways, but I'll add:
About 25 percent of this country doesn't care about "society", they just want their people to win all the time. They don't care about us joining together and pooling our resources for the common good.
Those people are in the best position of power that they've ever been in, they been riding that maga high for 3 years now, and they MIGHT not be happy when it ends.

If WORST CASE scenario things do go down the bad way, would people who don't usually buy into that paranoia, start buying weapons to defend against those that always aligned themselves with "guns protect me" way of thinking?
That's what this thread is about.

Last edited:

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
What kind of demented literature are you reading that is giving you the impression they'll be some kind of armed liberal rebellion?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
1.You're more likely to harm yourself or your family with a gun than you are to protect them from an intruder
2.Conservatives don't use direct murder tactics most of the time, they use legislation, which guns can't protect you against.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Dan Harmon talked about this on his podcast when he got a gun 2-ish years back. He wants gun control but Trump winning the election, and all the fuckery in America, scared him into feeling like he needed a gun to protect himself.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of demented literature are you reading that is giving you the impression they'll be some kind of armed liberal rebellion?

There is a whole book and Kevin Sorbo film based on this very thing called "The Reliant". Basically it is a 2nd Amendment person's wet dream with liberal/Antifa people arming themselves and going after all the "Real Patriots".

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You think there's going to be such ferocity if trump wins 2020 that you'd need a gun to protect yourself? I don't live in America but that thought seems absurd.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If you live in fear of being shot I would suggest moving rather than arming yourself.
I see you live in Austria so maybe you don't understand but I think everyone in America lives with a little bit of anxiety over getting randomly shot. There's no place in American that I can move to that will remove that fear.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
No, we actually have an answer to this. While the majority of these populations are pro-gun control, there are black gun clubs and gay gun clubs in the Trump era.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You think there's going to be such ferocity if trump wins 2020 that you'd need a gun to protect yourself? I don't live in America but that thought seems absurd.
I would think moreso if he loses and has the ability to further radicalize his cultists through lying about a "stolen election" or whatever shit he would say

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all are so overdramatic, the American project isn't over if Trump wins again. We may be at a bad point, but things can and will eventually get better unless you subscribe to that exact attitude. It's just like with those people who say they'll move if he wins; stay and fight for what you believe in.

And there's no need to arm yourself if Trump wins again unless maybe you're a minority deep in Trump land cause there are bound to be a spike in hate crimes again

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can we stop with equating everything left with the term liberal, and left doesn't always=anti-gun either.

I'm pretty far left and I shudder at the term liberal especially when people try to apply it to me, at least in the American political sense, and while I believe in major overhauls to the laws concerning them and think less types should be legal I am nowhere near anti-gun, especially as someone from a hunting family.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I mean, you're still more likely to blow your own head off than actually use it for self defense (among other reasons, like supporting extremely unethical companies, or the fact that having even more guns out there isn't going to make things safer) so it's a big fat nope for me.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Don't you see that this exact thinking is the issue in the first place?
I get that

But the other folk just want guns because they're scared that they won't be able to buy guns anymore.

I'm scared that there's potential for some folk to use guns to attack people they disagree with, or wish to ethnically cleanse.

I think my reason while hopefully unlikely to happen AGAIN, is more rational than theirs.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
Actually, we have some documented evidence that groups who fear a lack of safety will sometimes reach for guns. The Guardian newspaper has covered black gun clubs as well as a leftist gun group that has recently appeared at events where participants are usually right wing targets. NPR covered the Pink Pistols after Orlando's Pulse shooting and WBVR in Boston covered the local chapter in 2019.

The common thread seems to be: these people live in areas where they aren't going to be protected by gun control (Boston being an exception but the Pink Pistols operate elsewhere) they're demographic targets, and they've lost faith in the system meant to protect them and provide justice if something does go wrong.

I don't think these groups are the mainstream of their demographic groups: Gays Against Guns seems to be for queer Americans. But the answer isn't a knee jerk "no". Some people feel they have no choice but to say yes to guns.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Look at the Black Panthers.

Another major Civil Rights movement or an economic down turn would increase liberal ownership of weapons.

Oct 25, 2017
I see you live in Austria so maybe you don't understand but I think everyone in America lives with a little bit of anxiety over getting randomly shot. There's no place in American that I can move to that will remove that fear.
Fair enough, really. I can't even begin to imagine what this feels like.
I was on vacation in the US for a month last year and I left a store when I just saw a dude with a gun walking around. I knew this is probably normal here and there was no reason to worry (the dude was even with his family) but it freaked me out way too much, so I just decided to leave. I don't even know what's worse, knowing that a person has a gun or not knowing whether they have one or not.
It's really weird cause a gun for me is basically a thing from movies or games and something that technically some police officers here might carry as well. So just seeing one in public stressed me the fuck out.

It's why I could never move to the US, I would live in constant anxiety.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could at least have a modicum of consistency in your thinking. You just come across as extra juvenile, reactionary and unthinking.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
trump could abolish term limits and get 8 more years and it'd be horrible but not Walking Dead. 'arming yourself' wouldn't be necessary even then

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hmm, losing the war on guns, or winning an imaginary thought experiment where we all shoot each other. 🤔

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The only reasonable answer from me:

If the situation turns so bad there is legitimate reason to fear for life because the prejudiced are out for blood or they plan on forcefully uprooting people and there is no legal recourse or help from law enforcement, then yes, arm yourself.

It would require failure on multiple fronts for this to happen in a country like the US.