• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Released in 1989, The Atari Lynx certainly didn't have the huge success of its rival, the Nintendo Game Boy.
nVz6WSD.jpg

And there are a bunch reasons one could cite. It lacked major advertising, had a high price tag, the Atari name was associated with a bygone era, it sucked batteries like crazy, it didn't have game with the type of mainstream appeal Tetris did, etc..

Still, it was an impressive piece of hardware (developed at Epyx by RJ Mical and Dave Needle of Commodore Amiga fame) and home to several quality games.

- It was the first true colour handheld system with interchangeable cartridges.
- It had arcade-like hardware sprite scaling prior to any TV console.
- It had a backlit screen that was sharper than the Game Gear's despite coming out first.
- It had a screen/controls that were "flippable" so games could be designed for horizontal and vertical screen configurations.

Hey, that's Toby Maguire in a Lynx commercial.

1991 saw the release of a more compact Lynx model.

What I loved about the Lynx is that in some ways it offered a more unique experience than the Game Boy and Game Gear despite having less third-party support. The games on Nintendo and Sega's portable looked and felt very similar to what was on their 8-bit consoles. The Lynx's smooth 3d arcade ports and original titles were filling a void that console gaming currently wasn't.

Back in the day, I kept expecting Atari to drop dead and buy the Lynx dirt cheap so I ended up getting a Game Boy and Game Gear first. I suppose that didn't help support the Lynx but I bought a great bundle deal at EB in 1994. It was a model 2 Lynx with Shadow of the Beast, Pit Fighter, Checkered Flag, and Pinball Jam included. I still have the same unit working great all these years later.

Here are 20 cool games. They look better in motion on a real system with scanlines given the resolution but you get the idea somewhat -

Blue Lightning
This was the technological showcase of the launch titles, and a damn good flight combat game.
Weh3jES.png

S.T.U.N. Runner
q4YwuCt.png

Road Blasters
gfwZRjt.png

Hydra
Between S.T.U.N. Runner, Roadblasters, and Hydra, the Lynx kicked ass for racing shooters.
hiQRdRs.png

Toki
This was much closer to the arcade experience than the NES and Genesis Toki games.
x3mU0gB.png

Klax
It is the Nineties and there is time for... Klax!
3DSq00p.png

Battlezone 2000
This was based on the 1980 arcade classic but strangely including a much more modern game that was hidden inside instead of being advertised/accessible directly.
14xbsNx.png

Gates of Zendocon
I always loved the Defender-style laser in this. This shooter had a huge amount of content for its time. Thankfully it had password saves.
WXRgwHt.png

California Games
Fitting for the system's Epyx roots, California Games was the original pack in title.
rjCiBtf.png

Electrocop
Originally conceived as an Impossible Mission follow up, this was an action-adventure where you move into the background and foreground. Given the rarity of games like this in 3d, it stood out on the market.
vA5g2qj.png

Raiden
G9Lo5Xz.png

Chip's Challenge
Every portable needs a great puzzle game and this was an early one on Lynx.
Zp06Xvn.png

Rygar
XPCX1BG.png

Ninja Gaiden
Like Rygar, this was the closest you could get to having the arcade version at home as the NES versions took different paths.
xXhWqQr.png

Rampage
Arguably more of a sequel than a port of the arcade game.
bs3TbSS.png

XY Bots
3d corridor shooting.
QECm8uc.png

Robo Squash
First-person Breakout style action.
6V7xNOK.png

Battle Wheels
Vehicular combat goodness in a pre-Twisted Metal world.
hnVegla.png

Cyber Virus
Released in 2001, this commercial homebrew first-person shooter managed to live up to the quality expected from classic Lynx games.
vBi3Vbt.png

Zaku
Inspired by Air Zonk and classic 16-bit era games from Irem and Treasure, this was another quality shooter to come out of the homebrew scene of the 2000s.
ISHZJIw.gif

The IGN Buyer's Guide by Travis Fahs goes into more detail on great Lynx games. http://ca.ign.com/articles/2008/04/09/atari-lynx-buyers-guide

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Played the shit out of California Games ( came with mine), Gauntlet and XY Bots

S02B5qM.jpg

Also have Rygar, but I think it fell behind my shelf I'll have to dig it out later.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Still got mine!

Anyone up for some 4 player WarBirds ComLynx action?

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Oh, I LOVED the sh*t out of the Lynx! I still have a near-complete collection of retail titles for it, along with two systems (one classic and one Lynx II) and the necessary cables and cases.

Will gush some more when I get behind a keyboard...

MXAGhost

Nov 3, 2017
Sears Tower | Earth 616
Atari Lynx was a fun game system. I still remember playing Batman Returns. Buttons were a little soft on mine. The battery life was cruel. Good thing I invested in the ac adapter.

My brother told me it was the next generation in gaming. His recommendation sold me; buying it at the local Venture.

Last edited:

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Fun thread.

One of the few portables I still dont own - despite nearly buying one tons of times.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I own a Lynx and it's pretty toss BUT Electrocop is absolutely fantastic. Particularly considering it's age and what the Gameboy was doing at the time. Cool game.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I remember a lot of Slime World and California Games. I'll never forget playing Batman in the back of the car and the system just crapping out for good all of a sudden. Eventually got a Game Gear, and although in my mind the games looked worse, at least it kept trucking years later.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
First system I ever owned, my dad bought me one when they were on clearance. California games blew my mind as a kid

Syncro

Oct 27, 2017
Screenshots never do the Lynx justice.

It wasn't very portable as the battery life was diabolical but I loved the crap out of mine. I got the original model when it came out then replaced it with the revised model when one of my mates broke my OG model.

I had a lot of the games for it and the highlights for me include Blue Lightning, Ninja Gaiden, California Games (BMX) and Checkered Flag.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I remember a lot of Slime World and California Games. I'll never forget playing Batman in the back of the car and the system just crapping out for good all of a sudden. Eventually got a Game Gear, and although in my mind the games looked worse, at least it kept trucking years later.

Yeah, they were really easy to break. The games on it though are amazing with some really well done ports like Paperboy and XY Bots.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Traded in my Game Boy for this. Not the best move. Impressive hardware, but the game were a bit simplistic compared to the action-adventures on Game Boy or the Game Gear.

I have Rampage, Roadblasters, Awesome Golf, Electrocop, Rygar, and Gauntlet. I only enjoyed the three first of those really.

Kinda wish I had gotten Slime World. The Bill & Ted game looked interesting in screenshots too.

Oct 27, 2017
Where is the Warbirds love, OP?
Also, Rampart is really great in Lynx.

What was the lowest ammo setting on Warbirds? 60 rounds? I used to set the game to 3 on 1 Red Baron difficulty with pilot hits (small chance of 1 hit kills) with the 60 rounds for the main guns. Could only win that on random starting positions.

The Lynx was a gift I didn't ask for, but it hit right at the time that Atari was making some really great arcade games. The Lynx versions were surprisingly solid and really tapped into that small moment of Atari's resurgence.

I still have one, but only a couple of games. I really want to find Rampart again. And the cool little outdoor sun visor, lol. Never did get to play Warbirds multiplayer...

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Also, Rampart is really great in Lynx.

What was the lowest ammo setting on Warbirds? 60 rounds? I used to set the game to 3 on 1 Red Baron difficulty with pilot hits (small chance of 1 hit kills) with the 60 rounds for the main guns. Could only win that on random starting positions.

The Lynx was a gift I didn't ask for, but it hit right at the time that Atari was making some really great arcade games. The Lynx versions were surprisingly solid and really tapped into that small moment of Atari's resurgence.

I still have one, but only a couple of games. I really want to find Rampart again. And the cool little outdoor sun visor, lol. Never did get to play Warbirds multiplayer...

Rampart is a damn good game.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Let's not forget Steel Talons, pretty ambitious arcade port and actually good fun.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Remember played it on display at an electronics store we'd frequent as a kid. Just remember it being huge and liking California Games on it. Outside of that I had one friend in a sea of Gameboys and Game Gears that had one in grade school and he'd bring it from time to time. Had some first person Dracula game. I always wondered had the system been a bit more of a success, how some of the third party stuff we started seeing on GB and GG, like Mortal Kombat or NBA Jam or Street Fighter, would have ran on it.

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
I never wanted one as a kid but somehow ended up with a free one. I only owned two games (and it was hell to even find them), Blockout and Checkered Flag, which were decent I guess.

One day I was playing while charging, my sister was running around, tripped on the cable and my Lynx flew away. That was it.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Really love the screenshots and some of those games like Toki are originally legit amazing but looking at videos online it seems that everything on this thing run at really low framerates. Impressive for the time still but I'm not sure I'd enjoy those games in that state even though other than that they do look really faithful in gameplay/levels etc to the arcade counterparts (again going by Toki).

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
A 16-bit handheld in the 80's.

Let that sink in..... 16-Bit HANDHELD in 1989......
With HARDWARE SCALING and 8-PLAYER LOCAL MULTIPLAYER! EEEEEEE!
Yo! But you gotta also throw in 6-player Checkered Flag and 8-player Slime World, too!
Let's not forget Steel Talons, pretty ambitious arcade port and actually good fun.
Damn straight -- the game runs at a laughably bad 5 FPS, yet somehow manages to be completely playable and worth the price. What kind of voodoo is this?!?
Zarlor Mercenary was the first shooter I ever played. I have very fond memories of it.
Gates of Zendocon is also a solid shooter, despite the goofy name and unappealing graphics.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
No love for Awesome Golf? First game I played with speech in. Had a bunch from the OP. Highlights were Electrocop, Chips Challenge and Stun Runner. Kung food was a fun wacky beat em up as well

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I still havey old lynx 2. It's in great condition. With lots of accessories. I always wanted more games for it. I had maybe a dozen.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
The Atari Lynx was the devil's spawn, and you had to sacrifice batteries by the hundreds to feed its never ending hunger!

That said, I liked the Ninja Gaiden port and my father loved surfing on California Games.

Unfortunately the AC adapter pin broke off shortly after I got it, so the only way to play was with batteries, and eventually my parents got fed up with spending so much on batteries lol

Syncro

Oct 27, 2017
The Atari Lynx was the devil's spawn, and you had to sacrifice batteries by the hundreds to feed its never ending hunger!

That said, I liked the Ninja Gaiden port and my father loved surfing on California Games.

Unfortunately the AC adapter pin broke off shortly after I got it, so the only way to play was with batteries, and eventually my parents got fed up with spending so much on batteries lol

I almost exclusively played mine via the AC adapter because of its battery addiction.

I was very envious of my friend who could bring his Gameboy into school everyday. It was portable enough to fit in a jacket pocket and the batteries lasted considerably longer. I did eventually end up selling my Lynx to get a Gameboy although did pick up another Lynx (my third one) many years later for European Soccer Challenge, Steel Talons and APB.

I wasn't lucky enough to have friends who also had a Lynx so I never got to try linking them together for some multiplayer.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
I almost exclusively played mine via the AC adapter because of its battery addiction.

I was very envious of my friend who could bring his Gameboy into school everyday. It was portable enough to fit in a jacket pocket and the batteries lasted considerably longer. I did eventually end up selling my Lynx to get a Gameboy although did pick up another Lynx (my third one) many years later for European Soccer Challenge, Steel Talons and APB.

I wasn't lucky enough to have friends who also had a Lynx so I never got to try linking them together for some multiplayer.

Yup, got extremely unlucky with the AC adapter pin, the system was unusable otherwise. I got 4 or 5 games but shortly abandoned it. The way the system ate batteries just wasn't sustainable, plus I already had a Gameboy and that thing could run on 4 AA batteries for forever

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I really loved my Lynx. I got it before I got any other 16 bit system (except the TI994a). Great times. System was really impressive for its time. Way, way better than Game Gear (which I got later). Had lots of friends play it in the day, everyone wanted to play it so much.

I think some of those games still hold up, too. Best versions of Rampage and Xenophobe (for all the extra content and how much more varied the gameplay is).

Eventually (circa 1995) my dpad left (or was it right?) button started to be less sensitive (had to push really hard to get it to work). I tried to fix it but screwed everything worse in the process. Since it was borderline unplayable at that point, I could take the loss, but it stung. Nowadays I play on emulation.

Atari Lynx was a fun game system. I still remember playing Batman Returns. Buttons were a little soft on mine. The battery life was cruel. Good thing I invested in the ac adapter.

My brother told me it was the next generation in gaming. His recommendation sold me; buying it at the local Venture.

Batman was fucking brutal. I only ever made it to the 2nd level (rooftops where countless guys shotgun you with realistic-to-human damage).

Last edited:

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Any of you fine folk able to help me? I just bought a game lot which had a broken Lynx Model 1 with California Games, Electrocop, Todd in Slime World, Zygar.

I bought the lot for the Pokemon games, gamecube and Xbox. I wanted to move the Lynx to make my money back.

It dosent work via battery. I have no AC to test that. I can't solder either lol. What would be a good price to pay to have it fixed and what is it along with those games worth?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Any of you fine folk able to help me? I just bought a game lot which had a broken Lynx Model 1 with California Games, Electrocop, Todd in Slime World, Zygar.

I bought the lot for the Pokemon games, gamecube and Xbox. I wanted to move the Lynx to make my money back.

It dosent work via battery. I have no AC to test that. I can't solder either lol. What would be a good price to pay to have it fixed and what is it along with those games worth?

I don't know about repairs, but you should check the atariage.com forums, they have a Lynx board that should be helpful.

You can also use their rarity guide, found here: http://atariage.com/software_search.php?SystemID=LYNX
Does not mention price, but should be something to know about your games.

Altough, to be honest, the games you mention are not really uncommon. Maybe Rygar is the least common of the ones you mention since it's suppoused to be a good game, altough Todd in Slime World does have it's fan I have discovered.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Rising this thread from the grave to ask if there is a recommended online shop that can also repair consoles? My Lynx I has a busted AC port and rarely works using batteries. Luckly my Lynx II still works.

Also, check out the Analogue Pocket thread, since it will be compatible with the Lynx games.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
We've got a real blast from the past for you this week—which is kinda the point of Retronauts, but our newest episode is a blast from the past in an entirely different way. We originally recorded this one on December 6th, 2015, exclusively as an episode for our Kickstarter backers, but now so much time has passed that we feel it's the right time to release this podcast to the general public. So join Jeremy Parish, Bob Mackey, and special guests Steve Lin and Jaz Rignall as the crew discusses Atari's oversized handheld and says things they likely don't remember in the distant year of 2020. Transport yourself back to a time when we were still excited for more Star Wars and get ready for this week's episode!

Retronauts Episode 276: Atari Lynx

Also, check ths weeks DF Retro for a video of a good looking homebrew version of Mortal Kombat for the Lynx. I always wondered how it would look, and it has exceeded my expectations.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
My Atari Lynx I LCD screen finally failed (display a white screen with many multicolores vertical stripes). Don't think I can afford to change it for a modern LCD, but guess I'll see if I can find a spare link cheap enough.

Today I received a new copy of Dracula The Undead. One of the best looking games on the platform I think, and maybe one of first console or portables to have a "warning" that the game is for teens. Originally it was meant to be the first 4 Megabit title, but at the last minute they changed it to less, meaning that a huge amount of content was lost (more than half of it apparently) letting Pit-Fighter be the first (and only?) 4 Megbit title.

Retronauts' Jeremy Parrish just did an excellent Atari Lynx video covering 1989 releases.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Oh wow, that's really tempting. I still have my Lynx, although the buttons don't work so well any more. I should really get it fixed up before buying something like this.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
AFAIK, the flip function is for swapping which side the d-pad is on rather than swapping between horizontal and vertical. It was supposedly meant for left-handers, but I'm left-handed and I'd always want the d-pad on the side where I have more dexterity.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Recent threads on Gaming Forum about the Sega Saturn and the Neo Geo got me wondering...how did the sprite scaling capabilities of the Lynx work?

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
modoversus Not sure if you ever got your screen repaired, but I recently had a Benn Venn LCD installed in my Lynx I and had a good experience with Starfiremodz:

www.starfiremodz.com

Custom Sega Game Gears

I fix/sell/upgrade video game consoles and handhelds with the best parts. I take requests and do custom designs. Have an idea? Let's chat!

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
modoversus Not sure if you ever got your screen repaired, but I recently had a Benn Venn LCD installed in my Lynx I and had a good experience with Starfiremodz:

www.starfiremodz.com

Custom Sega Game Gears

I fix/sell/upgrade video game consoles and handhelds with the best parts. I take requests and do custom designs. Have an idea? Let's chat!

Thanks for the recommendation! Will check, I do need to repair the Lynx I and maybe recap the Lynx II.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
That device had a loooooooot of face real estate that wasn't screen.

I remember when Lynx was coming out and after its launch, it was never really a serious contender for my or my friends' Christmas lists. Atari already had the reputation of a bygone also-ran next to Nintendo and Sega, and there was just no beating Game Boy's price and game library, even if it meant sticking with monochrome games.