• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
www.gamedeveloper.com

Atari relaunches Infogrames, immediately buys Totally Reliable Delivery Service

Infogrames has returned and is eager to acquire some franchises.

Atari has revived the Infogrames publishing label and intends to expand its portfolio "primarily through acquisition."

The company has already made good on that pledge after purchasing Totally Reliable Delivery Service from Tinybuild. Infogrames has acquired the game, trademarks, and underlying property from Tinybuild (which previously published the title) for an undisclosed fee.

In its heyday, Infogrames was known for developing and distributing titles like Alone in the Dark, RollerCoaster Tycoon, Driver, and Oddworld: Abe's Odysee through its various subsidiaries.

The company had a huge influence on the game industry throughout the 80s, 90s, and 00s, making a number of significant acquisitions–including the purchase of Interplay Entertainment, GT Interactive, Hasbro Interactive and the Atari brand.

Eventually, Infogrames chose to rebrand under the Atari banner. That decision was made a few years before the company declared bankruptcy, sparking an IP fire sale and years of corporate reshuffling that eventually saw Atari reemerge in its current guise.

Atari CEO and chairman Wade Rosen said the newly-revived Infogrames will publish titles that fall outside of the "core portfolio of IP associated with the Atari brand."

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
Ok, I don't get these operations. Why not publish everything under the far more recognizable and iconic Atari brand?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Oh jeez. I thought i would never again struggle to pronounce Inforgames... shit i mean Infrogames.

Shit.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would explain it. Glad it wasn't just me losing it lol.
I think the rainbow logo might also lead you there somewhat

infogrames.svg

Ym2ThKO.jpeg

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
youtu.be

V-Rally 2 Intro

One of the best and memorable intros ever made for a video game. They did an amazing job.The music is a remix called "Painful Morphium Mix (Oomph Remix)" by ...

We bringing back V-Rally?

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Why. Ain't nobody with any kind of nostalgia or warm happy feelings about.. Infogrames.

They were always, at least to me, the textbook definition of a faceless commercial enterprise with zero DNA founded in appreciation of the artistic medium itself.

Now that I think about it, wasn't that why they bought the Atari name themselves back in the day? To have a brand that at least has some cache and recognition?

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
For me it's because France and Driver.

EDIT: oh wow Vash great minds think alike

Hell yes! :D

The current Atari seems to be a much better entity than it was a few years ago. It's like they have people in place who know what the industry is like and aren't completely overtaken by the endless greed moniker. The phrase "If you built it, they will come" seems to be apt here. After years of mismanagement of the brand, we now have some several good things and more upcoming, such as Yars Rising, and Neo Sprint.

Let's see where they go with Infogrames.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I am hoping they re-release the bugs bunny games on PS1.

I wonder if they own the games or just the name

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Infogrames buys Atari. Infoframes changes name to Atari. Atari relaunches Infogrames in the year 2024. Dinosaur eats man and woman inherits the earth.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda actually like the new Infogrames logo, usually a thing not said when it comes to new logo changes in the current landscape.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
They should find and buy Backyard Sports franchise back, that was my favorite Infogrames/Atari series.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Think I remember them most for Hogs of War. Don't think they own that though as I'm sure someones been tinkering with that IP for some time promising a remake of sorts.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Why. Ain't nobody with any kind of nostalgia or warm happy feelings about.. Infogrames.

Sure there is, although you have to go back to the home microcomputer era.

Alone in the Dark
The Vera Cruz/Sydney Affair
Captain Blood
Murders in Venice/Space
Purple Saturn Day
Kult

Tons of games that always stood out because they were interesting and different.

Not, of course, that that means all that much in terms of what the label is *today*, but at least there is that affectionate association.