• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In case you were under any illusion that this was going to be a real product.

Via Reddit and AtariAge.
https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogamin...ew_game_that_atari/?utm_source=reddit-android

To keep it short, the Atari SA (company behind the VCS) showed footage of Tempest 4000 running on the VCS. The developer of Tempest 4000 had no idea about this, never developed a port, and has never even seen the VCS hardware.

Oh and they also faked the footage of Yar's Revenge shown in another video.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Isn't it just a PC? Couldn't the PC version of Tempest 4000 just play on it?

Either way, starting to look super shady. Easy avoid for me.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bloody hell, it's the Retro VGS/Coleco Chameleon all over again
images

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Just to clarify, the developer of Tempest 4000 (Jeff Minter) did not say anything about this. The guy who was contracted to port the game from PC to various consoles did. It's very possible Jeff Minter knows what's up and has been involved. And also possible that the game is running in WINE, which allows Windows apps to run in Linux. Since the game has a year to be released, it's not really a big deal, it's a test to see how well the controller works and maybe to see if the system is powerful enough.

Last edited:

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify, the developer of Tempest 4000 (Jeff Minter) did not say anything about this. The guy who was contracted to port the game from PC to various consoles did. It's very possible Jeff Minter knows what's up and has been involved. And also possible that the game is running in WINE, which allows Windows apps to run in Linux. Since the game has a year to be released, it's not really a big deal, it's a test to see how well the controller works and maybe to see if the system is powerful enough.
Wait, please do correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Giles/Ivan Zorzin one of the main Llamasoft people together with Jeff?

Edit: Ok, yes he is.
I live in beautiful surrondings in rural west Wales with my partner Giles and four sheep, two goats, two llamas and a small mad Border Collie named after a curry.

Working with Giles is pretty much the first time I have shared the burden of development with anyone and again I feel that the results speak for themselves. Giles' excellent coding abilities and expertise in all kinds of highly relevant areas, and his highly mathematically informed creative vision broaden greatly the strength and scope of Llamasoft's development abilities, and together we are ideally placed to drive forward the development of our Neon technology in many interesting ways in the years to come.

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
So Atari can't have shown the PC version running on a bristol bridge APU because?

Running win32 apps on linux is unheard of and this very specific verdion of the A-10 9700E can't run windows 10 either

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Raised a lot of money super quickly
2. Indiegogo
3. Flexible goal
4. Now this

I'm not saying it's a scam but the writing's on the wall.

Mar 26, 2018
Ironically, this sounds much more in line with how the original Atari Jaguar was handled than the 3DO. Check out these bullshots for what eventually became Checkered Flag:

pElfH1h.jpg

LMAO yeah right. For the record, here's what the game shipped as:

New Atari, same as the Old "New" Atari.

Its before my time but i was thinking along the lines of doom.

Atari was before my time but wish i couold have seen it . Born in 83 puts ps1 much more solid in my memory

I see that you mean jaguar. But yeah, seens to be a part of all games at some point.

I was thinking of games that dont exist.

The doom game that didnt exist at all but was hyped up.

Not sure how often games are hyped that arent even coming at all.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its before my time but i was thinking along the lines of doom.

Atari was before my time but wish i couold have seen it . Born in 83 puts ps1 much more solid in my memory

I see that you mean jaguar. But yeah, seens to be a part of all games at some point.

I was thinking of games that dont exist.

The doom game that didnt exist at all but was hyped up.

Not sure how often games are hyped that arent even coming at all.

Er, what? Doom was released on the 3DO. It sucked a lot, yeah, but it was definitely released.

Mar 26, 2018
Er, what? Doom was released on the 3DO. It sucked a lot, yeah, but it was definitely released.
Do you not know the story ?

It was hyoed without any official or actual development. It was in magazines and was a pretty big deal.

I suggest to watch the youtube video by the person who ported it and through it together to releqse it.

The main point is how it was confirmed to be comimg when there was nothimg at all. Just one mans dream cause the game was popular.

Not completely the same as this atari story, but some similarities.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is this why Tempest 4K has been in weird "it's done but Atari has decided not to release it yet" limbo?

Because they want it to be a launch exclusive for this trainwreck?

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
If Atari are the publisher of Tempest 4K, is it not possible they have a separate team working specifically on the VCS version?

If not, they are still the publisher and they put the specs of the VCS together, surely they know if they plan to port it and what it should run like even if the specific video in this case was faked. I don't think this is that shady at all, tbh. MS, Ubisoft, Sony, etc have all been caught faking demos more than once for real products that certainly did release.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Incredibly sketchy project continues to be sketchy .

Not sure why anyone would give this company hundreds of dollars at this point instead of waiting for reviews.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you check the indiegogo the majority of people backed the most expensive SKUs for like $350 or something like that

Considering almost all of the media was extremely skeptical on this and a simple Google search would be enough to dissuade most sensible people, I'd say these people knew they were taking a chance.

Doesn't make this any less scummy.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of surprised this is news, honestly. When I wrote up the VCS (apologies for the spam) I even mentioned Tempest 4000 had to be running in WINE, and that was Day 1 of the campaign. Honestly, so long as the game runs at full speed in its wrapper/emulator/whatever I don't see the issue. I mean sure, I'd rather play it on PC or a console I already own than buy a VCS for it, but if Atari releases a fully-functional version of Tempest 4000 for the system I can't imagine why it would matter that it's not a native application. If it ends up a framey, laggy mess then that would be a problem.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Do you not know the story ?

It was hyoed without any official or actual development. It was in magazines and was a pretty big deal.

I suggest to watch the youtube video by the person who ported it and through it together to releqse it.

The main point is how it was confirmed to be comimg when there was nothimg at all. Just one mans dream cause the game was popular.

Not completely the same as this atari story, but some similarities.
The Doom 3DO story was absolutely amazing. Some random Company funded by people from a church were hyping the hell out of this game saying they had tons of new weapons and maps and made Doom way better with all these new things. Turns out they had no programmers, so 3DO helps them out by giving them an actual programmer. So they hand over some files with images of the weapons they'd been putting in magazines to the Programmer all. "Yup that's it hit the make game button and put them in!". I swear Rebecca Heineman is a saint for dealing with that.