• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
nGsW6hd.png

kVOgguN.png

Developer: Gust
Publisher: Koei Tecmo
Platforms: PS4, Switch, PC (Steam), PSVita (JP Only)
Release Date: March 27th, 2018 (US) / March 30th, 2018 (EU) (PS4 Digital version available March 27th)
Genre: Turn-based Role-Playing Game
Official Site: http://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/lydieandsuelle/index.html

7kbMf6B.png

Limited Edition available from NIS America and NISA Europe.
m6IPej9.png

Limited Edition Includes:
Atelier Lydie & Suelle (PS4 or Switch)
Official Hardcover Art Book
Official Soundtrack
Deluxe Cloth Poster
Collector's Box
Set of 2 Deluxe Alchemists Pins

NISA Store Links:
PS4 (US)
PS4 (EU)
NSW (US)
NSW (EU)

About Atelier games

The Atelier games are Slice-of-Life RPGs that focus on the every day lives of fledgling yet ambitious alchemists and their dreams of grandeur.
In (most) Atelier games, there's no need to save the world from some looming apocalyptic threat. Instead, your goal is the grow as an alchemist and create new items to help yourself, your friends, and the people of the town you reside in.
The latest Atelier games have evolved synthesis of items by adding puzzle elements, allowing even greater control over the traits and effects of the items you create.
Atelier games feature turn-based combat with a timeline, allowing players to see the order of turns in battle and directly affect them via skills and items.
Over-the-top animations, explosive skills, and flashy specials add a bit of flair to the otherwise modest and light-hearted exploratory nature of the gameplay.
9tZ2UHB.png

This story begins in a small atelier
in the town of Merveille, the capital of
the Adalet Kingdom, where two young twin
sisters live. They study alchemy while helping
their father, an alchemist, to run the atelier, and
they share a common dream...

... to run the best atelier in the country.

However, there is a big gap between the reality of
their abilities and their dream. They have a long
way to go yet, and the days flow by while the girls'
impatience only grows. On one of such days,
the twins' path leads them to a certain painting.
Inside that painting, they find a mystical unknown
world. A world full of various ingredients for their
craft. Perhaps, this chance meeting with a mysterious
painting is about to bring them drastically closer to
turning their dream into reality...

Lydie and Suelle spend their days helping out their father in the atelier and working hard
to become the best alchemists in the country. However, in truth,
their atelier is not even doing good enough to put food on their table every day.
These hardships have created a special bond between the sisters, tying them closely together.

While they were working on their synthesis one day,
the twins heard a strange voice coming out from
the basement. Even though they were strictly forbidden
to enter the basement by their father,the twins could
not contain their curiosity and headed out to investigate.

What they found in the basement was a single mysterious
painting. They stared, captivated by it, and before they
could even realize it, they were pulled inside. And yet,
instead of being scared, the twins found themselves very
excited by this mystical world they have discovered,
and they set their minds on exploring,
while searching for the way back.
S86xWuM.png

Exploration
nh0ozw8.jpg
1tQGd2t.jpg

Explore mysterious paintings. Gather rare and unique ingredients.
Encounter dangerous monsters that roam the lands.
Time gradually passes as you explore the world, with various changes to the locales as dusk falls or dawn nears.
Different monsters and materials may come out at different times of the day, so try to spend as much time as you can in the field!
In the field, you can gather plants, destroy obstacles, fish, catch bugs, whack monsters in the head, and more.

Synthesis

V652tx0.jpg
osBs1mp.jpg

Creating items is the name of the game! Craft new sundries for use in combat, create new equipment, synthesize potions, and progress the story with hundreds of unique items.
There are many effects for the items you create, allowing you do extend the effects of healing items to the whole party, level down enemies and decimate their defenses, or indulge in a bit of overkill upon a poor puni with the biggest explosive you can craft.

Combat
sXvqXOV.jpg
1UsnhaA.jpg

Characters in Atelier Lydie & Suelle fight in pairs, for a total of six combatants in battle.
Pairs are comprised of a main attacker and a support.
Occasionally, the supporting character will act on their own, influencing and enhancing combination attacks via Follow-up Skills.
When either Lydie or Suelle are supporting, either can synthesize via the new Battle Mix command.

Battle Mix
7WmOnhx.jpg
ksydC4Z.jpg

Battle Mix allows you to synthesize in the middle of combat.
Now you can craft specific items in combat to give you an ever greater advantage over the enemy.
While both sisters can use this command, each will have their own exclusive items that they can craft in battle.

You can even enhance these items further by utilizing the Extra Mix command, allowing you to add status effects, increase power, or even expand the range of the item.

Combination Arts
EzeRiTy.jpg
XRjMWsz.jpg

Certain characters have special attacks when paired with one another.
These Combination Arts are flashy yet devastating attacks that can turn the tide of battle.
Mix and match pairs to find which work best together!
NRWAFoM.png

Brand new characters and familiar faces fill out the roster in one of the largest Atelier casts yet!
(Click the character to be taken to the official profile!)

SWywWvc.png

Calm but slightly air-headed older sister

Lydie Malen

One of the twins living in a penniless atelier.
She is calm, kind and easily likable,
but she also has a little air-headed side to
her and likes to do things at her own pace.
She is good at studying but not fond of
exercise, and has a slightly unique taste in art.

tR3vswt.png

Impish tomboy little sister
Suelle Malen

One of the twins living in a penniless atelier.
She is a tomboy with a cheerful personality,
and can be rather mischievous. She is a prodigy and
the type who doesn't worry about details.
She is terrified of insects, and will throw a tantrum if
one as much as even lands on her shoulder.

ou75hSu.png

Traveling master alchemist
Sophie Neuenmuller

An alchemist who has been traveling for a very long time.
As their senior, she helps Lydie and Suelle with some advice, yet she is not too dependable.
Sophie's alchemy skill is great beyond doubt,
and it has almost reached the extraordinary level
of the one who taught her.

ak8toGg.png

Grown-up "Alchemist of the Mysterious Journey"

Firis Mistlud

An alchemist with an immense love for traveling.
It is easy to see from her looks that she has matured
quite a lot on her journeys. Yet her friendly personality
remains unchanged. She is a very skillful alchemist,
and as soon as she opened her atelier in the city,
she has become rather popular among citizens
of Merveille. Firis has also learned
how to use a bow from her sister,
and she comes around to help Lydie and Suelle
on a request from her long time friend, Ilmeria.

RWT3mSC.png

tkuSbzA.png

Mischievous loyal knight

Mathias Ferrier Adalet

A man who can be found walking around Merveille.
He is known for his frivolous and playful personality.
However, he is much more reliable on the inside,
and he volunteers to protect Lydie and Suelle.
He is a member of a knight's order,
and is rather skillful with his sword.
He also has an older sister who completely
holds him under her thumb.

5GKHEKI.png

A levelheaded young man,
surrounded in mystery

Alt

A young man, with a genderless appearance,
who has been quietly keeping his atelier in Merveille.
It would seem his knowledge and skill in alchemy are rather high,
and his atelier ranks among the top ones in the capital.
He sports a cool personality and a sharp tongue,
and prefers to keep his distance from the others.

As Atelier Lydie & Suelle hosts one of the largest cast of Atelier characters so far, there are many supporting characters who will help you along in your adventure, as well those who will fight by your side in combat.
(Click the portrait to be taken to that characters official profile!)

4q9wYHC.png

Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings - Announcement Trailer

Atelier Lydie & Suelle Character Feature Trailer

Additional Videos
[Game Informer] RPG Grind Time - Atelier Lydie & Suelle
[ContraNetwork] - Atelier Lydie & Suelle | Comparison | Nintendo Switch vs PS4

LEmmky7.png

[Reviews]
Famitsu - 9 / 9 / 9 / 8 [35/40]

Digitally Downloaded - 100 / 100

"Go into this game with an open mind, and allow the game's pleasant charm, sweet characters and storytelling, and light, graceful approach to JRPG action to wash over you, and you may just find yourself as in love with the utterly refreshing and pure experience that Atelier Lydie & Suelle has to offer you."

IGN Japan - 7.9 / 10

"This game is true to the Atelier series, and while including plenty of fan service, the game makes sure that newcomers have an idea of what's going on. While it lacks in many departments, the great finale of the trilogy more than makes up for it."

We Got This Covered - 7 / 10

Despite lacking the variety of previous Atelier games, Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings has a happy charm that makes it hard to put down.

Push Square - 6 / 10

Atelier Lydie & Suelle isn't as innovative as its predecessors, but that doesn't mean you should write it off entirely - it tells a charming and captivating story that ends up being the best tale in the whole Mysterious trilogy. There are plenty of enchanting areas to explore as well, and as always, there's a deep alchemy system for you to master.

Links
http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2018/03/review-atelier-lydie-suelle-alchemists.html
http://jp.ign.com/atelier-lydie-and...s-and-the-mysterious-paintings/21014/review/3
https://www.hardcoregamer.com/2018/...chemists-and-the-mysterious-paintings/294477/
http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/p...e_the_alchemists_and_the_mysterious_paintings
https://wccftech.com/review/atelier-lydie-suelle-the-alchemists-and-the-mysterious-paintings/
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/03/27/atelier-lydie-and-suelle-review/#/slide/1
http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/atelier-lydie-suelle-alchemists-mysterious-paintings-review/

[Metacritic]
JhDs71I.jpg

http://www.metacritic.com/game/play...e-the-alchemists-and-the-mysterious-paintings

hp6Fdie.png

I've never played Atelier before. What kind of games are they?
Atelier games are typically slower-paced and light-hearted turn-based JRPGs.
They focus on crafting, exploration, and a slice-of-life story that typically doesn't include saving the world.

Can I start with this one?
Absolutely. While Atelier games usually come in trilogies, each entry is a self-contained story.
You may see characters from previous games in the trilogy (and even characters from previous trilogies), but knowledge of prior events is not needed.

Does this have Dual Audio?
No. For reasons (officially) unknown, KT has decided against dubbing this entry in English.
Sophie and Firis (the two previous games) both have English voice acting.
Lydie & Suelle will only have Japanese voices with English subtitles and text.
There are no plans to dub this title.

JKZm4b1.png

Atelier Community OT
RPG Community OT
Atelier Marie + Elie (PS2) Fan Translation Patch

Enjoy the game!​

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed the JP version (no point in getting the NA version if it still has JP voice) to play along with everyone else. This will be my first time playing an Atelier game at the same time as everyone else, so hopefully that helps with staying interested.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Really want to hear how the Switch version works out... and if they swapped B/A again in localization, as that's kind of a deal breaker for Nintendo versions.

MotherFan

Oct 27, 2017
I dont see this in the coming soon section for switch, is it digital?

Also how does the switch version compare to ps4?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Random thoughts before tomorrow:
  • Somehow that's Plachta's most practical outfit in the entire trilogy.
  • The crop on Cornelia's portrait is such a tease. She totally still has the dumb droopy arm dress things.
  • GTFO Logy, HAGEL IS BACK
I really need this to be good after the minor letdown that was Firis. The lack of English VA isn't a great start but it's definitely not a dealbreaker. Fingers crossed...

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
As have mentioned before, I really enjoyed this entry (outside of the somewhat scummy DLC character stuff). Hoping it satisfies the folks who were down on Firis.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
ON SWITCH!? I've been dying to play one of these games. I guess it's time :D

Yup! Maybe they'll port Sophie and Firis, but I'm not certain how feasible that is as the team is already working on the newest Atelier. It should be announced in May or June, but I bet Switch will be in the plans.

I dont see this in the coming soon section for switch, is it digital?

Also how does the switch version compare to ps4?
It should be live tomorrow in the US. EU owners have to wait it seems.

As for the Switch version in comparison, ContraNetwork on youtube has a comparison video.

Random thoughts before tomorrow:
  • Somehow that's Plachta's most practical outfit in the entire trilogy.
  • The crop on Cornelia's portrait is such a tease. She totally still has the dumb droopy arm dress things.
  • GTFO Logy, HAGEL IS BACK
I really need this to be good after the minor letdown that was Firis. The lack of English VA isn't a great start but it's definitely not a dealbreaker. Fingers crossed...

You can click the portraits to see their full version on the site!
Also HAGEL FOREVER. I will riot if A20 is not Atelier Hagel!

Nice OT, Lumi!

I'll probably be sitting on this one for a bit while I wait for the likely absurdly expensive DLC and finish up other recently released games, but I'm gonna need my yearly dose of Atelier sooner or later.

I've missed him so much!

Thank you! If, for some magical reason, they price the season pass at something normal people can afford, I may bite. Til then, LUCIA AND ILLMERIA ONLY.

isual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
day 1 definitely. going to be pretty packed with this, witch and the hundred knight 2, botw on wii u and vermintide 2 - also got farcry 5. what a list of new vidya to play !

also, can't wait for endgame in this game.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Nice OT, looking forward to getting it tomorrow. Might put Ni no Kuni 2 on hold since I don't like playing multiple RPGs at once.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT, looking forward to getting it tomorrow. Might put Ni no Kuni 2 on hold since I don't like playing multiple RPGs at once.

Thanks! In a poorly thought out and misguided effort, I thought I could clear Ni no Kuni 2 before Lydie & Suelle came out. Naturally, I've failed. I'll juggle the two.

day 1 definitely. going to be pretty packed with this, witch and the hundred knight 2, botw on wii u and vermintide 2 - also got farcry 5. what a list of new vidya to play !

also, can't wait for endgame in this game.

I've yet to play Witch and The Hundred Knight 1! Vermintide looks great, as does Far Cry 5...but I've spent a little too much on games this week, eheh...

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
You can click the portraits to see their full version on the site!
Also HAGEL FOREVER. I will riot if A20 is not Atelier Hagel!

Heh, yeah, that's how I discovered Corneria still has her ridiculously impractical sleeves! I just appreciated that you cropped the portrait in such a way that one might think "oh look, Corneria looks like a proper adult with proper adult clothes that actually fit her properly!" NOPE.

I have legit wondered if there was space for a blacksmith offshoot of the Atelier series. I guess we kinda sorta got that with Escha & Logy already. I don't know if Atelier Hagel is a joke that can sustain a whole game but I'd totally play it!

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, yeah, that's how I discovered Corneria still has her ridiculously impractical sleeves! I just appreciated that you cropped the portrait in such a way that one might think "oh look, Corneria looks like a proper adult with proper adult clothes that actually fit her properly!" NOPE.

I have legit wondered if there was space for a blacksmith offshoot of the Atelier series. I guess we kinda sorta got that with Escha & Logy already. I don't know if Atelier Hagel is a joke that can sustain a whole game but I'd totally play it!

Ehehehe, I can't take credit for the crops. I ripped them from the character page. Someone at KT knew what they were doing.
http://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/lydieandsuelle/character.html

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I've yet to play Witch and The Hundred Knight 1! Vermintide looks great, as does Far Cry 5...but I've spent a little too much on games this week, eheh...

Just as a warning, don't play Witch and Hundred Knight 1 and 2 back to back. One will be enough for quite a while.
You can start with 2 too because the stories are standalone.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Just as a warning, don't play Witch and Hundred Knight 1 and 2 back to back. One will be enough for quite a while.
You can start with 2 too because the stories are standalone.
Ah, gotcha but...I already own 1 and never opened it so....

I may or may not have purchased too many games at once.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Pumped for this - I wish it was up for preorder on PS4 but I've looked the last week and never found it. I assume this won't be out at midnight tonight? I have no idea when PS4 games release is there a specific time tomorrow it will pop on the store? Want to use that 20% off coupon I got the other day before it expires!

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just started this and am really looking forward to playing more.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Anyone have footage or screenshots of the game after the Image Enhancement patch on Switch? Because the pre-patch footage looked really bad and to be blunt it could make or break a purchase for me.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I want to buy the Switch version but I wish we could get some reviews already to be better informed.

Also, does anyone know how many GBs this game weights? I might get it digitally.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Their decision to drop the dub, especially at the end of a freaking trilogy with returning characters, kinda pisses me off tbh since I always go with English when it's an option. Still, I've picked up every Atelier since Iris and I've always been drawn to their simple charm, so I'm in it for the long haul. I mean it's not like the voice acting was ever amazing anyway, but I don't like change so I felt like expressing my frustration. Sorry for being the grumpy one. :p

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna keep an eye on this. Never played one of these, but assuming the Switch port is solid I might take the plunge

Oct 26, 2017
Note: The Switch version got an image-quality buff in a patch (1.2 IIRC), so the comparison by ContraNetwork is outdated. I don't know if the patch in on the cart or will be maybe a day 1 update or something in the west.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Should i try the PC versions of sophie and firis before getting into this game?

Not strictly necessary, but given how many characters are from the previous games in the trilogy, it does seem like you'll miss out if you don't already know them before playing Lydie and Suelle.

If the question is whether to go with PC: I think the Sophie port was supposed to be decent. Firis, on the other hand, is rougher; I played Firis on PC and the image quality is noticeably worse than on PS4 even when it's not glitching out (certain types of lighting leave nasty black stripes everywhere), plus it's locked to 16:9 resolutions because Koei Tecmo. That said, it's at least playable. If PC is your only option I think it'll be fine.

MotherFan

Oct 27, 2017
Note: The Switch version got an image-quality buff in a patch (1.2 IIRC), so the comparison by ContraNetwork is outdated. I don't know if the patch in on the cart or will be maybe a day 1 update or something in the west.

Ok that's good because it seemed like a huge difference. Really wanted to get switch version but after video was not sure. If they bumped the visuals a little I am gonna go switch.

isual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! In a poorly thought out and misguided effort, I thought I could clear Ni no Kuni 2 before Lydie & Suelle came out. Naturally, I've failed. I'll juggle the two.

part of the hobby. i have shekels, but not a lot of time. top kek

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
My Limited Edition still hasn't shipped. Preordered it a while ago but after their payment issues my Credit Card was compromised so I had to cancel it. I emailed them and updated the payment last week using PayPal but so far still no update.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Did they change the artist? I prefer the look of Shallie and Eschalogy.

The game was announced during the Atelier 20th Anniversary Presentation, where it was said that it's part of the Mysterious series but is being made differently from the previous entries of the aforementioned series.[19] NOCO and Yuugen both return as the illustrators for this entry, and designed one protagonist each.

Seems like NOCO and Yuugen have been designing the Mysterious series.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
That's unfortunate, I thought they nail the design especially on Escha/Logy (Logy, Linca, Threia and Marion). Logy is the best designed protagonist in a JRPG imo.
A FELLOW MAN OF TASTE.

I loved Hidari's Atelier designs too (his work in general - his Echoes of Valentia stuff is the best Fire Emblem has seen in forever). I think NOCO and Yuugen are still doing a good job, but yeah... No Threia level designs yet :P

Jake

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't happy about this game having no dub, but I decided to go ahead and get it digital for switch tomorrow. I'm still playing through Firis right now, but may drop it to play through Lydie & Suelle.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I want this, but the lack of dub + me not finishing Firis yet is holding me back. Looks really good though.

KingLear

Oct 25, 2017
Not strictly necessary, but given how many characters are from the previous games in the trilogy, it does seem like you'll miss out if you don't already know them before playing Lydie and Suelle.

If the question is whether to go with PC: I think the Sophie port was supposed to be decent. Firis, on the other hand, is rougher; I played Firis on PC and the image quality is noticeably worse than on PS4 even when it's not glitching out (certain types of lighting leave nasty black stripes everywhere), plus it's locked to 16:9 resolutions because Koei Tecmo. That said, it's at least playable. If PC is your only option I think it'll be fine.
Ok, cool! I've got pc and ps4 so i'll probably play Sophie first to see if it's my kinda game and then move on to ps4 for firis and switch for the new one down the road.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play beyond the second city (not including the home town) of the previous game. I recently started it again in preparation for this game, though. This game is $85 here so I'll wait since I would probably be disappointed at that price, judging by the previous game.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Have it pre-ordered for Switch since December, hasn't shipped yet but I just got an email from Amazon with an eshop promotional code for "bonus DLC costumes inspired from legacy alchemists Marie and Erie. The bonus content also includes an item set full of useful alchemical ingredients and battle-themed music."

Will be my first Atelier!

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Does this game have time-limits like some of the previous games? I remember trying a previous game on the Vita and was a little stressed out by the time-limit there.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Probably skipping out on this due to the lack of dub, I hope if they bring another one of these to the west that they decide to dub it. This is unfortunately why I also had to skip out on the last Blazblue game. I like my anime subbed, but I lose immersion/feel distracted if a game isn't dubbed.