• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was probably the anniversary of her death which is why people knew to check on him.

Yea it was. His mom goes into the other room and suddenly stops making any noise. You see the day go by as it begins to get a bit darker outside because he's been lounging on the couch all day. And then Earn calls him to check up on him.

Then the homeless dude mentions his mom and it completely catches him off guard.

Rewatching it made it super obvious to me now lol

Oct 25, 2017
Yea it was. His mom goes into the other room and suddenly stops making any noise. You see the day go by as it begins to get a bit darker outside because he's been lounging on the couch all day. And then Earn calls him to check up on him.

Then the homeless dude mentions his mom and it completely catches him off guard.

The only time I think she was mentioned before was the first episode of season 1 when Al called out Earn for not coming to the funeral. So when she popped up I was like, um ... she's dead.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017

Well damn I missed all this, I am gonna need to do a rewatch

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just started up the episode and within a minute or two I know what its about :(

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This episode went in a different direction than what I had expected based on the first couple of minutes but still managed to come back around to it. Somewhat. The AV Club review nailed it.

Great episode.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Another classic. Surprisingly emotional too. The more surreal it gets the better. I'm curious about how PB and Earn's relationship will develop from here regarding Earn being his manager.

The way this show plays with horror is incredible. It's gone full Twin Peaks.

And yeah, the dream with his mom, the humming tune, and the forest crackhead mentioning him being like her are all connected.

"I told you, like, 50 times, man. There are no zero gravity scenes in Star Wars."

I love the little touches, like when he's sitting alone on the sidewalk and receives a message with "Thinking bout you today <3", but it's just a number because it's from someone he deleted the contact long ago. It adds to the feelings of disconnection and loss.

dhTBBrA.jpg

Adding to that, when it shows his phone on the table it has 3 missed calls. I like it how the scene makes it seem like it's still the same call from before it gets darker, because that's how disorienting it feels when you're passed out like PB was.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I couldn't disagree more. In fact, I'd say this is the best episode the show has done.
Yeah, this episode was beautiful. Almost no laughs but it's okay.

The scene at the start with this mom was really touching. I love how all the light goes out when she exists frame and he wakes up and all that's left is just darkness.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
Just watched it. That was reminiscent of Twin Peaks 2017 in the best way. (It hit me the hardest at those long, patient overhead shots of the forest.) Beautiful stuff.
I love that we can have television like this.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Another slam dunk episode, I'm actually surprised people didn't pick up on his mother being dead from the start. It seemed communicated very clearly. It's why Earn asked if he "was good today?" And, Al just kind of cuts him off and hangs up the phone. I'll echo another user's thoughts in that I think he'll fire Earn by the end of the season, the end of this episode has him realizing the truth about his career. Either he's all in or all out, you can't "be real" and "be famous." And Earn is a bad manager, if he's going to take his career seriously then he needs a real manager.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Donald making good on Hip Hop meets Twin Peaks in season 2, jesus christ.

This episode felt like it was only 5 minutes long.