• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
After even just playing an ok chunk of Persona 3 remake, Atlus has shown me they are willing, to some extents, remain faithful to the original even if it doesn't match modern Persona standards. A remake of 2 could make the game actually tolerable for new players and bring back old ones.

4 was just a given. Though I think they'll get a lot more pushback if they try to make Golden content DLC.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they'd remove all the bigoted shit in 4, but I'm guessing they wouldn't and that the game would still be praised regardless.

Feb 16, 2022
After even just playing an ok chunk of Persona 3 remake, Atlus has shown me they are willing, to some extents, remain faithful to the original even if it doesn't match modern Persona standards. A remake of 2 could make the game actually tolerable for new players and bring back old ones.

4 was just a given. Though I think they'll get a lot more pushback if they try to make Golden content DLC.
I think the reason they're making the Answer/Episode Aigis DLC is that they're basically remaking the whole thing from scratch. The Answer needs a complete overhaul as a concept, tbh. Both narratively and mechanically, some things didn't work. They're better off taking the idea of "what happens next" and redoing the whole thing from scratch.

Feb 16, 2022
I think you add:
1) The original (superior) music
2) Voice acting
3) Letting people turn off encounters and make themselves invincible in combat at will

That is how you get people to play Persona 1 in 2024+.
Probably better off just remaking everything from scratch, keep the characters, maybe cut off some or at least make them non-Persona users. Have brand new storylines, add in new NPCs.

CosmiKu

Jul 9, 2023
If they are making P2 and P4 remakes, I wonder what teams are working on them.

I'm not an Atlus expert but they've not got unlimited resources…

Presumably the P3 Reload team is working on DLC and support while getting Persona 6 off the ground.

Then there's Studio Zero, making Metaphor.

The Persona 5 Tactica team - just finished that so it's not out of the realms of possibility they're working on one of them.

Do we know what the Soul Hackers 2 team is working on?

What about the Etrian Odyssey team?

And I'd guess the SMT V team are working on SMT VI or some sort of "Apocalypse" second version of V.

Am I missing any teams, or do Atlus not work in set groups like that, with teams just coming together when a project begins?

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I know literally nothing about P2 so it will be a brand new game/experience for me. P4? OK I guess

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
I'm up for all of these (never played P1 or P2 and having them in the post P3 style would be amazing).

But, what does this mean for P6? Are still a ways out?

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I'd be interested in any console form of a release for Persona 2. Whether it be a straight port, HD remaster, or remake.

Same could be said for Persona 1 as well tbh. I enjoy the DRPG side of SMT/Persona.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
If they are making P2 and P4 remakes, I wonder what teams are working on them.

I'm not an Atlus expert but they've not got unlimited resources…

Presumably the P3 Reload team is working on DLC and support while getting Persona 6 off the ground.

Then there's Studio Zero, making Metaphor.

The Persona 5 Tactica team - just finished that so it's not out of the realms of possibility they're working on one of them.

Do we know what the Soul Hackers 2 team is working on?

What about the Etrian Odyssey team?

And I'd guess the SMT V team are working on SMT VI or some sort of "Apocalypse" second version of V.

Am I missing any teams, or do Atlus not work in set groups like that, with teams just coming together when a project begins?
Yeah I was wondering this too. Who is working on P6?

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Having only play P4G last year, I'm of the opinion there's plenty that could be refined for a remake. I'm fully on board.

P2 is the higher priority though, but I'll gladly eventually play the originals even if it never happens.

Feb 16, 2022
jason-momoa-chair.gif

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
P2 needs an overhaul. Yes, it's story and characters have their strengths, and the "rumor" system was novel for its time, but absolutely everything else about it would not fly among at all to engage with mass consumers.

The combat is both sluggish and dense in the worst ways. Very high encounter rates and long protracted fights, it's just droll. It's tactical grid-based system is neither interesting or engaging and there is a reason most players recommend persona guides to effectively bypass the poor pacing of it all. The tarot system and demon conversation system is antiquated, irrational, and focuses on luck with trial and error sussing out keyhole responses over thoughtful engagement. These aren't real conversations to win over demons but rather dumb and repetitive memory games to suss out which coded response works among dozen of identical word choices. It expands on P1 by merely increasing the number of variables to choose from, which just bloats the design methodology in a poor manner. Pick the wrong combo of words and sorry! Try again next time!! It's vague and illogical in practice to woo over demons. Again, people recommend guides for a reason to smooth out the actual act of playing. It's the worst playing Persona of all I'd argue.

Not sure if an overhaul that reworks everything into the press-turn system with a normal "fusion" system would be the right call as it saps the identity of P2, but I'm not sure how you even rebuild the old game design without going bold and new entirely. Modern fans may reject how distant these game function from how P3-5 play(social links, time mgmt, press-turn), but it will take real risk and imagination to transform the bones of these games into something modern audiences flock to.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
P2 not being a remake would make me instantly more interested. Because a remake would almost assuredly scrub the amazing Kazuma Kaneko art from it. I just want a remaster for modern systems.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i doubt p2 remake is a thing. it would cost more to remake than p3. not to mention p2 remakesters already bombed on the psp before

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
I don't trust the people behind the modern Persona games to do anything worthwhile with 2, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

Dreamyard

Jul 15, 2020
Huh. I mean, I'd still be interested, but there would need to be both Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. Including P1 as well would make it ideal, but I wouldn't say no if we finally got ports of both P2 games in English on one console(s).

Remaster with both games. New translation is the selling point and it'll be on every console including Switch 2 and next gen xbox.

Sold! I'll be there day one for the collector's edition, or if they go the P3P/P4G route, digital when it goes on sale and the collector's edition day one when LRG puts it out.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
P2 isn't a remake while 4 is hgnnnnn. I have zero interest in a 4 remake after 3 (not enough new content / just a weirdly uninteresting approach imo).

Jun 9, 2023
Crossing fingers for a secondary-yet-very-there selling point being "no more loading bar before and after battles"

I can look into that. Never played P2 but I heard there's dozens of quality changes along with the new translations.

The plan is digital only release but again, things can change considering it's a couple years out.

Sadire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 31, 2017
P4 would be okay and all, but it's P2 I really want.
Never played it and only got to read about it, I really want to experience that one.

Although, I'm not sure how that'll look and feel when all is said and done.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
P4 does seem strictly unnecessary. I'll play it, but it's clearly not at all needed outside of some... adjustments that they should but won't make to certain bits of the narrative. P2 is extremely hype, though.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
atlus will remake p3 reload before they remember p2 exists

flew too close to the sun this time icarus