• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it has all of the modern flashy easy shit. Tired of playing the same people or nobody for 30 years. This game deserves a robust community of all skill levels.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it has all of the modern flashy easy shit. Tired of playing the same people or nobody for 30 years. This game deserves a robust community of all skill levels.

The game already has easy inputs. The only hard flashy moves are Akira's knee and I guess the just frame-ish stuff like spod, gbod, etc.

I want the game to have the success the series deserves too, but I think that can be achieved with its classic realistic approach if they just go all out with phenomenal mocapped animation. Like make even the block animations look crazy. My dream would be for it to look like the Lei Fei vs Lau section of the VF5FS announcement trailer. New sound effects and VO too, since I guess the iconic whoosh bothers people.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
Hopefully it will be announced at one of these events soon like Summer Game Fest, Xbox/PS Showcase or Evo USA. Very curious to see what VF6 will look like, its characters and content.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
I have been playing VF since the first game dropped in the arcade, I play VF3tb online in Japanese arcades almost every night, and they have my okay to just burn it to the fucking ground and reboot it. Yeah the characters are "classic", but they're corny as hell and the only thing that will get people playing VF again is way better characters and presentation.

Now, God knows if they'll mess it up or not, but seriously, I'll take anything.

Edit: if they keep using those same sound effects I'm OUT

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
I have been playing VF since the first game dropped in the arcade, I play VF3tb online in Japanese arcades almost every night, and they have my okay to just burn it to the fucking ground and reboot it. Yeah the characters are "classic", but they're corny as hell and the only thing that will get people playing VF again is way better characters and presentation.

I like how each character has a unique fighting style, they just need story and maybe some new looks. As for the sound effects, I think there could be an option between modern and classic sounds.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC

If you are just referring to characters, then yeah, they definitely need to be redesigned. I think they could easily do that mostly by giving characters cool new costumes. VF5 already did a good job in this direction.

But I think the thing that would really help tue franchise out, is to bring in characters from Yakuza. Bring in Kazuma Kyriu, Goro Majima, Ichiban etc.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
If SEGA is really going super game on this and wants to to be big I feel like they have to aim bigger then Evo or Tgs. The fgc and Japan will take notice regardless where it debuts.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017

It just depends what they change for me. Presentation stuff then sure whatever they wanna do but If it ends up playing very unlike Virtua Fighter then I may question what's the point. It's my favourite fighter for how it is to play and I don't want them to crib too much from Tekken or whatever because then, well I may as well just play Tekken.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
If SEGA is really going super game on this and wants to to be big I feel like they have to aim bigger then Evo or Tgs. The fgc and Japan will take notice regardless where it debuts.
Depends what we're getting - an announcement or a reveal. Both SF6 and T8 were announced at Evo but revealed at a State of Play

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
More interested in the price point they'll be aiming for. Could we get a F2P Virtua Fighter? Will it be $60-$70 along with the top dogs? Very curious the type of content the game will have if they go the latter route.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
If you are just referring to characters, then yeah, they definitely need to be redesigned. I think they could easily do that mostly by giving characters cool new costumes. VF5 already did a good job in this direction.

But I think the thing that would really help tue franchise out, is to bring in characters from Yakuza. Bring in Kazuma Kyriu, Goro Majima, Ichiban etc.

I wonder if they're still going to avoid that because of the "Kiryu doesn't hit women" thing.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Id really rather get a few Shenmue characters in VF ahead of Yakuza. Lan Di for one (yeah yeah he's Lau, but Im a Lau main so gimme gimme!)
Xiuying as well would be a terrific character that would slot perfectly into the game. Id rather Yakuza either stay out of the game, or just be added as a guest DLC down the line, something just doesnt really sit right with them getting included with me for some reason...
Like, Majima should be included over Kiryu (because Kiryu doesnt make sense as a choice with me - him not hitting women is a whole thing - even in 7 he flat out wont do it), but problem with Maijma is, his most famed fighting style is with a dagger, so that doesnt really "work" either. Him basically being his 0 thug self would be a boring move set for me...
(which is why Jo Amon from Yakuza 5, or Komaki from the earlier games is the real correct choice of character to use!)

Alamak Sirrah

Feb 21, 2021
"Kiryu doesn't hit women"
SadR2.gif

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

I never really get this kind of animosity against VF's presentation and characters. prpbably a big factor is that I'm a huge VF fan but really don't play other fighters so that probably explains it but I def don't find anything lacking about the characters designs - I've always loved them - and i find the over the top shit in Tekken off putting. The focus in VF is on the mechanics, everything else has intentionally been minimized from the beginning. Obviously the market loves the OTT shit in Tekken though, so I understand Sega having to pay attention to that

I'd be completely fine with them just continuing where they left off in VF5FS though and just continuing to refine the best fighting game mechanics in the business

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
As much as I would love some character from Like a Dragon or Shenmue as guests, I don't think Majima and Ichiban would fit in very well and Shenmue wouldn't have much appeal nowadays.

FamilyTeam

Mar 19, 2024
Brazil
Virtua Fighter arguably needs some polish in presentation, but we don't need crazy character designs, superpowers or anime tropes or whatever. I'd much rather VF just bring its already existing presentation up to par, as pretty much the last remaining fighting game that is still firmly rooted in the style of Hong Kong martial arts movies, than trying to chase this sort of Shounen anime style we have with almost every other fighting game at this point.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017

Just wanted to quote myself here. Give me the gimmicks. Whatever. I want to play more people. If gimmicks or a change in game play philosophy a la Tekken 8 brings in a wider audience, then please do that.

Apr 21, 2018
not sure if you did but VF5US used the Dragon Engine so it wouldn't be surprising. If anything, that game was likely a testbed.
Yeah, i know for VF5US. It was a quick port though. I wonder if they'll keep it (Yokohama said they'll reuse it for next LAD games but didn't mention other projects with it so i don't know.)
A new engine would be dope. (i hate UE in Tekken 8)

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
While I dont think it will be revealed at TGS, I think there is good chance it is revealed during a september state of play.
Evo is also a strong possibility, especially since sega is planning a huge esports push for the game.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Let's hope they're right. Any guesses at when/where it'll get revealed? TGS? random state of play?
TGS for sure. There's an outside chance of Evo but I'd bet money on TGS.

please don't be comenack mechanics and cinematic moves
Cinematic moves? Definitely not. That said, I would not rule out a come back mechanic. Fighting games without them just aren't a thing these days. I could see something like the Tekken Rage system minus cinematic moves like Rage Arts. Explained away as an adrenaline surge.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
TGS for sure. There's an outside chance of Evo but I'd bet money on TGS.

Cinematic moves? Definitely not. That said, I would not rule out a come back mechanic. Fighting games without them just aren't a thing these days. I could see something like the Tekken Rage system minus cinematic moves like Rage Arts. Explained away as an adrenaline surge.

I'll take anything new. In my heart of hearts, I don't want a VF. I want a Sega 3d fighting game. Vf has too many expectations to be a certain way. Even after they gave us another port of FS. You can't go into this new game hoping it's FS2. That's the vibe I'm getting and I don't like it. Let this be a new thing.