• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Are we sure they weren't making any money from this? Reading the complaint Atlus seems to think they were. Also it seems they had a big issue with them basically cloning the website and adding their information to the copyright signature.

It's always funny reading these lawsuits because of how dramatic they are. Atlus claims they have been irreparably harmed by this game being hosted and that Atlus has no other remedy but to sue.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure they weren't making any money from this? Reading the complaint Atlus seems to think they were. Also it seems they had a big issue with them basically cloning the website and adding their information to the copyright signature.

It's always funny reading these lawsuits because of how dramatic they are. Atlus claims they have been irreparably harmed by this game being hosted and that Atlus has no other remedy but to sue.
No money was made from it. As for the copyright signature, jumping from nothing to a lawsuit is HUGE leap. If anything, they should have issued a C&D instead before going straight for a $25k lawsuit.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Sega usually cool with that sort of thing? Private PSO servers have been a thing longer than official ones.

EDIT: Just read about the distinction between them

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
A lot of people complain about Atlus too much, and give them flack that they don't really deserve

This time is different. This is a really bad move for their PR, and very anti-consumer. They better be ready to remaster this on modern systems asap, or else they will have a nightmare on their hands for going after fans keeping the game playable with no money changing hands.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised and understand. It's a really shitty situation.

Yeah, for sure. I never got into Re:IMAGINE because I have too many games in my backlog, but the work they were doing seemed really good. It's a shame Atlus is pulling this.

At least they are making an offline version for people to play.

Is this sarcasm, or...? (I'm legit asking, idk if I've missed something or you're making a joke because they're suing)

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Atlus is so bloody garbage. After P5 completely faceplanted its narrative, I haven't bought or played an Atlus game since. And I'm not particularly optimistic they'll ever change my mind, if this is any indication. Such a shame, since I was all over Atlus's games during the PS2/DS/3DS/Early PS3 era. :/

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Good riddance.... everybody knows that if it weren't for these IMAGINE "fan" servers, Soul Hackers 2 wouldn't have bombed. /s

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIlGFOp__Cw

Larrue made a video with a summary of research done on the lawsuit and drama that inevitably led to it. It seems like it might be dropped on the condition of Rekuiem's stuff being taken down permanently, and unfortunately this led ReImagine taking their stuff down too.

It's a weird sequence of events for sure, but even with Rekuiem being in the wrong here, I think jumping straight to a lawsuit was extreme and this could have been settled with a C&D.