• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yesterday, during a livestream, Atlus confirmed that Shin Megami Tensei V will be coming exclusively to the Nintendo Switch.

According to GameSpot...

While Shin Megami Tensei IV took place in an alternate reality world, SMT 5 looks to return to the modern-day Tokyo environment of Shin Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. Of course, it's not SMT without a demon-filled apocalypse, and the trailer shows exactly that kind of thing happening. A young boy and girl are killed—and possibly awakened—by a pack of flying demons. The weird rose petal theme shown in the first trailer appears again here, when the girl is killed.

You can view the trailer below.

Source: GameSpot

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Slightly surprising to me as at first glance there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason to not also make it PS4. Of course I think that about most Japanese games and a lot of them are still skipping platforms.

Looks nice though- hope it isn't too far away.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Very promising! I do wonder how far along it is but it's great that the Switch is getting another big JRPG besides Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Slightly surprising to me as at first glance there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason to not also make it PS4. Of course I think that about most Japanese games and a lot of them are still skipping platforms.

Looks nice though- hope it isn't too far away.
I was kind of surprised it wasn't on the PS4, honestly. The coyness at the announcement of having a 3DS SMT and a "HD" SMT implied more than just the Switch.

Maybe the system is doing well enough that a PS4 version wouldn't add much more to it but a burdensome port job.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
SMT has felt like a handheld thing for the longest time, so I sorta get it is a Switch exclusive. But I would be surprised if it isn't just a timed exclusive and coming to other platorms sooner rather than later.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm down with this. I'd rather play RPGs of this scale on a handheld now anyway.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks so hype. Really hoping to a full return to the Nocturne style as well.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm super excited about this. Now I can get my demon capturing on the go. W00T

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Loved SMT IV looking forward to this. Hope it comes soon

Deleted member 59

I really liked what i saw in the short video. Art direction/style hooked me in. I'll deffo give this a go as my first SMT.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I've already watched this clip like 10 times lol

I can't wait. The music. omg.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The music, tone and visuals... It's everything I wanted from this. I got a lot of Kaneko vibes from the character designs. Hoping he is more involved as opposed to Doi.

Also in regards to exclusivity... I didn't expect that. With it being UE4 I thought they'd go PS4/Switch but guess not. Regardless this was a Switch purchase for me, I need that portability!

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played this series before but love persona. I have lived in the UK though so this series and localization has always been a pain in the ass. Hopefully this has changed now.

I have a switch and love jrpgs and good dark stories.

Will I love this game if I enjoy Persona?

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played this series before but love persona. I have lived in the UK though so this series and localization has always been a pain in the ass. Hopefully this has changed now.

It depends on what you like about Persona. Gameplay-wise they are similar, but tone-wise SMT tends to be more serious/darker

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like how it looks. All I can hope for is that I like it even half as much as I did Persona 5

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
As said in the MegaTen Discord, I never played SMT until 3DS. I played halfway through Soul Hackers, and I picked up SMTIV and Devil Survivor Overclocked (the latter one is on sale in the EU eShop right now for €10,49). I'm new to the series, but I liked what I played so far. The atmosphere, story, characters, and battle system are all very good. I'm really interested to see where SMTV will take the series.

contologics

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully by the time I can get this by the time I get a Switch smh. I'm so happy it's going to be V. I LOVED IV and was half way through IV Apocalypse.

Ahri

Lying PR
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly shocked that this isn't coming to PS4 as well, but I'm not complaining one bit. Definitely going to run that Switch battery down often.

I feel that games are more & more optimized for it.

RE: the game, I never played any game in the series, but very looking forward to this one.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Really wouldn't be surprised if the game gets a director's cut or later port to PS4. But really cool to see it on the Switch. I'm hoping they port over some other games in the mean time, like SMT1 where the official localization is stuck on iOS still for whatever reason.

Eiderann

Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to this and the crowd reaction to the reveal was great. I'm holding out hope that Kaneko has returned from his calm walks through fields of flowers for this project.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017

Depends on what you enjoy about Persona. Most SMT games are much less character-driven and have more minimalist storylines. There's a much bigger emphasis on demon summoning and dungeon crawling, and no social elements at all. Your human party members often end up distancing themselves from from you as the story progresses instead of growing closer like in Persona.

Still an excellent game series, but if the social stuff is what drew you to Persona, you may not enjoy it as much.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
So hyped for this! Love how it's looking to be similar to SMT Nocturnes setting where Tokyo is already completely destroyed

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Really wouldn't be surprised if the game gets a director's cut or later port to PS4. But really cool to see it on the Switch. I'm hoping they port over some other games in the mean time, like SMT1 where the official localization is stuck on iOS still for whatever reason.

Yeah I'm really hoping they bring over the original titles in the lead up to release. It's wishful thinking but it would be amazing SMTI, II, If and Nocturne all got re-released

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad its been announced so fast after Persona 5. Even if it takes another 3 years. Looks great, can't wait to see the battle system.

SnowCrow

Oct 25, 2017
Not a Switch owner yet but this means I have to get one soon. SMT IV was easily my favorite game on the 3DS.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trailer looked creepier than any SMT game ive seen in a while. Corpses everywhere, an ordinary person getting swarmed and torn apart before turning into rose petals (?). Curious to see what the deal with the rose petals is.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Big year for SMT. Really excited this ended up being a mainline title, I can't wait.