• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I'll use this post as a springboard, my intent is not for you to feel as if I'm personally criticizing you.

When I said "sounds about right," I'm criticizing her. That dream of hers is very much idealized white girl who has zero issue going back in time to the "glory days." Nothing about the rest of her verse in that song acknowledges that...privilege of that desire.

What else is there in the 1830s but racism and sexism? An America unmolested by urbanization? Highways? Just white folks doing whatever they wanted in a world bent completely around them.

I doubt Taylor Swift thought three seconds more about this lyric than whatever her idyllic version of life would be in soon-to-be Civil War America (or imperial England). And it's not overly offensive to my tastes. But the reason why some black folks myself included, bristle at this line is because it's yet another telltale example of white folks having zero grasp of the topic, and it's coming from the most popular musician in the world.

The height of chattel slavery in America is a minor moral inconvenience to her otherwise idyllic dynastic dreams, which sounds about right.
What? The entire point of those few lines is pointing out how shitty that time was. That taking all that shit stuff away basically ruined the entire concept of wanting to pretend to go back to those times.

Posts in this thread are wild, like congratulating each other for these takedowns that aren't even reading the content correctly?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
i wasn't trying to imply it was weird, i'm implying its a bad lyric
Guess that's just up to personal opinion.

In a song that is specifically about feeling like you're in high school and it talks about watching American pie, etc etc. It's not that bad of a lyric to me.

If it was out of the blue in a more serious song then I would agree.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Not really a huge Taylor Swift fan or anything, but I don't get why this would be controversial. Bad song lyrics, maybe but I don't find them especially problematic.

Seems to me she's saying that the game of looking back at previous eras is bad because most people are looking back at those time periods as idyllic while ignoring the problems that existed in that society hence why saying this would kill the game for her friends. Seems really odd to me that people are interpreting this as her saying the 1830s would be a great time period to live in.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
The line gets criticized on the internet for the exact same reason she herself brings up as a counterpoint to the first line right in the next lines within the same verse. It's the internet and current media literacy in a nutshell, to see a line taken out of context and starting a whole discussion as if the next lines don't even exist, which of course would make the previous line problematic.

Never listened to a Swift song by choice in my life, btw.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
Context is important, i hope people learn that lesson for the next time they see a single answer/quote.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
It's not uncommon to hear people say that the 70's or 80's were better times when the world itself was a much more difficult and poorer place lol

fairwxfriend

Jan 31, 2021
This controversy feels pretty manufactured

There's a bunch of TikToks talking about this with people "reacting" to the lyrics out of context and it's obvious that the vids are just trying to drive views and the comments are already from people that don't like Taylor

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Nothing weird about those lyrics, people force themselves into getting offended. The context is crystal clear, she wants to live in a time described to her through fantasy as a perfect time for lovers but the reality is that the time in question was pretty rotten to.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Don't see it tbh. She's referencing the silly games played when you're younger where you pick a period of history to live in and commenting on how naive it is to have such a romanticised and nostalgic view of the past.

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
It's a very clunky sounding line, but the intent seems fine when it is specifically calling out how nostalgia blinds people to the issues with the past.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
True, she could have picked a better year as an example. Dunno why she chose that decade.
It's the Antebellum (pre-Civil War) South era, which is very idealized in the south.

Ex: Taylor Swift is a wealthy white woman from Tennessee--she almost definitely has had friends who got married on plantations.That's almost explicitly what Swift is saying with the lyrics, they're nostalgic for that period but would say "of course we don't like slavery, but look how beautiful the building is!" (literally 1830 without the racism) but of course that's just a blatant whitewash because the plantation wouldn't exist at all without slavery.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
2d2a7c4c1579ac751964f7a86eb528d1c830e8bf.jpg

no don't feed your golden retriever bf chocolate taylor he's going to die

greatest lyricist of our time lmao. also CHARLIE PUTH????

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are people really being this dense about this? The context of this line in the verse is important. It's talking about how shitty the 1830's really were not looking back on it fondly or wishing to be there. The lyric feels a bit out of place I'll admit but the vitriol I've seen from people misunderstanding this shit is wild.
The point is getting engagement online. Reality is irrelevant.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Twitter gotta be obsessed with drama. Reminded of the guy who tried to cause a thing with Jewel by taking a snippet out of Piece of You out of context.

Kurt Loder. Instead of asking her about it off camera he sprung it on her that she had a line that ended like "...with such casualty." He's like "that's not what casualty means" as if poetic license hasn't resulted in the repurposing of words since time immemorial.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

ok i have read the grand theft auto song, it's not that bad but it does read like fanfic from a high schooler written on a glittery journal, which... is perhaps the point.. not sure... like is the title of the album "tortured poets" about emo kids that write things like "you hurt me like a rose, i kiss your flower but touching you hurts"

the other curio is "you know how to play ball, i know aristotle" like yeah aristotle is perhaps the philosopher name that a high schooler knows, but i have to say this does not read like an adult dexterously writing as a younger person

but i won't really listen to her music anyway so this exercise is pointless and i'm not interested in meanness coming from simple curiosity, so as aristotle said "let dragons lay" or some such

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
So I'll use this post as a springboard, my intent is not for you to feel as if I'm personally criticizing you.

When I said "sounds about right," I'm criticizing her. That dream of hers is very much idealized white girl who has zero issue going back in time to the "glory days." Nothing about the rest of her verse in that song acknowledges that...privilege of that desire.

What else is there in the 1830s but racism and sexism? An America unmolested by urbanization? Highways? Just white folks doing whatever they wanted in a world bent completely around them.

I doubt Taylor Swift thought three seconds more about this lyric than whatever her idyllic version of life would be in soon-to-be Civil War America (or imperial England). And it's not overly offensive to my tastes. But the reason why some black folks myself included, bristle at this line is because it's yet another telltale example of white folks having zero grasp of the topic, and it's coming from the most popular musician in the world.

The height of chattel slavery in America is a minor moral inconvenience to her otherwise idyllic dynastic dreams, which sounds about right.

I'm pretty sure that's the entire point of the lyrics though. She's not whitewashing the 1830s by saying they would be fine without the racism and sexism. She's saying the 1830s suck and games like this where people look at the past through nostalgic and idealistic eyes are childish, naive, and stupid.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
ok i have read the grand theft auto song, it's not that bad but it does read like fanfic from a high schooler written on a glittery journal, which... is perhaps the point.. not sure... like is the title of the album "tortured poets" about emo kids that write things like "you hurt me like a rose, i kiss your flower but touching you hurts"
The song is called 'So High School', it's pretty obvious it's the point. It's about how being in love with Travis is making her feel like she's in high school with a new boyfriend again.

Dis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The lyrics suck imo, but if people like her music that's fine, personal choice on what people like in music etc.

Putting aside the lyrics being weird or dumb to me, the line itself on its own sure sounds bad, but then that's what happens when you remove context from actual things being said. There seems to be an coming thing these days with taking one line or two out of a paragraph that gives those lines context that's perfectly fine and then acting like there's a huge issue because the context has been removed.

Don't remove context from things said if you have an issue with them. It's fine to have issues with what's said but if you want others to have a comment on it too then don't go around stripping context from it and expecting others to not treat it as click bait etc.

fairwxfriend

Jan 31, 2021
Are people being deliberately obtuse lol Does media literacy disappear for some people when it comes to Taylor Swift?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Would talking about children pining for a bygone era of America without mentioning slavery sort of be rose-tinted glasses? You don't think people would be livid at her for not pointing out something so monstrous, no matter her background?
They definitely would, because people are intent on finding the worst possible interpretation of what others say.

It would also entirely change the context of what she's saying if she did that.

julia crawford

Oct 27, 2017
The song is called 'So High School', it's pretty obvious it's the point. It's about how being in love with Travis is making her feel like she's in high school with a new boyfriend again.

I wouldn't say it's obvious, but i don't really know her work, the only song i actually know is Shake It Off, and with that song in mind it seems like that's just how she writes and the adolescent style can just as well be her style instead of another part of the artifice. But again. My posts are dismissible because i'm not invested or investing in this enough to say one way or the other.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
ITT: 'Taylor Swift lyrics aren't that complex or interesting'
Also ITT: People utterly failing to comprehend basic literary concepts or ordering of words and sentences

ffs, this is embarrassing.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I wouldn't say it's obvious, but i don't really know her work, the only song i actually know is Shake It Off, and with that son in mind it seems like that's just how she writes and the adolescent style can just as well be her style instead of another part of the artifice. But again. My posts are dismissible because i'm not invested or investing in this enough to say one way or the other.
I figured the song 'So High School' that you picked up sounded like it was written by someone in high school with the lyrics...
I'm watchin' American Pie with you on a Saturday night
Your friends are around, so be quiet
I'm trying to stifle my sighs
'Cause I feel so high school (Feel so high school) every time I look at you
...would be kinda obvious that it's written about how being in love is making her feel like she's back in high school. Maybe I'm just so used to her lyrics that I can decipher it though.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I figured the song 'So High School' that you picked up sounded like it was written by someone in high school with the lyrics...

...would be kinda obvious that it's written about how being in love is making her feel like she's back in high school. Maybe I'm just so used to her lyrics that I can decipher it though.

You need to have a high IQ to understand Taylor Swift lyrics, apparently.

julia crawford

Oct 27, 2017
I figured the song 'So High School' that you picked up sounded like it was written by someone in high school with the lyrics:

would be kinda obvious that it's written about how being in love is making her feel like she's back in high school. Maybe I'm just so used to her lyrics that I can decipher it though.

Hum, i can tell what the song is about....

You need to have a high IQ to understand Taylor Swift lyrics, apparently.

So this is what being subtweeted feels like

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
Her lyrics are corny, hackneyed and shitty per usual, but the outrage is really forced and ignores the next stanza.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
This, exactly. The entire Antebellum period has secured a deep place in a lot of middle-to-upper-class white peoples hearts (whether they're from the south or not) for one reason or another and it gets romanticized incessantly. 1830s falls right in there and is as good a decade as any to point out for the purposes of shooting holes in an unwarranted fantasy.

I'm surprised more people aren't catching this. The 1830s is squarely in the Antebellum period. When people are romantic over "the Confederacy" what they're likely actually romantic about is the Antebellum period, i.e. the period the Confederacy was formed to preserve. And of course that romantic vision of the Antebellum South is one that scrubs all of the evils of the period away, leaving behind a period of rich white folks living their own form of high-class life in their rich plantations with all their rich clothes.

A girl wanting to live in "the 1830s but without the racists"....is a girl wanting to be Scarlett O'Hara. Maybe not the actual character so much as the general cultural image of her. Old-fashioned as hell but Swift's still got country roots so it tracks.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised more people aren't catching this. The 1830s is squarely in the Antebellum period. When people are romantic over "the Confederacy" what they're likely actually romantic about is the Antebellum period, i.e. the period the Confederacy was formed to preserve. And of course that romantic vision of the Antebellum South is one that scrubs all of the evils of the period away, leaving behind a period of rich white folks living their own form of high-class life in their rich plantations with all their rich clothes.

A girl wanting to live in "the 1830s but without the racists"....is a girl wanting to be Scarlett O'Hara. Maybe not the actual character so much as the general cultural image of her. Old-fashioned as hell but Swift's still got country roots so it tracks.

And it's all before the Civil Rights movement. Honestly it's all "not a good time" no matter where you put your historical marker.

Status
Not open for further replies.