Audience reactions?

• I like it! Ima get my moneys worth, huzzah, encore!

Votes: 249 52.1%
  • Would you please just shut the hell up!

Votes: 229 47.9%

• Total voters

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
It depends on the movie. It made Endgame opening night an absolutely amazing experience! Easily the most fun I've had at the theater.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, I don't mind some laughter and noice. But these reactions from super fans that are popping up on YouTube just seems really annoying. As in it would be annoying to be trying to watch a film while people are behaving like their favorite team just scored in overtime.
Tell filmmakers to stop making moments with that exact same energy.
The other thing I find unnatural is to not laugh in a comedy film. Like you're literally there to find humour and then you don't laugh....wut?
6d852fd31f852d7d8cc424ee44f43dbec205cd78.png

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the movie, but if it's a fun dumb movie that isn't artistic or important, like any marvel or Star Wars or Godzilla movie, then yeah I like some involvement by the audience.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
They're designing scenes to make audiences excited. That's all. Stop pretending they're specifically trying to trigger certain motor functions and vocal chords like master neurological masterminds.

Again, it's how people choose to react to being excited. And if you DECIDE that you need to whoop and clap like a moron behind the person sitting quietly in front of you, you're making the communal experience all about yourself and saying Fuck It to considering anybody else around you.

So no, saying Erm, actually, the Russo Bros specifically design this scene for me to let out my Marvel war cry doesn't really pass mustard. You're just being inconsiderate to others who have paid the same money as you and might be feeling even more excited by the goings-on on screen, if they knew what the character on screen had just said, instead of being distracted by you.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
They're designing scenes to make audiences excited. That's all. Stop pretending they're specifically trying to trigger certain motor functions and vocal chords like master neurological masterminds.
People tend to make some noise when they're excited. When the intention is, get the audience as excited as if they're watching sports, then ofc people are gonna cheer. Frankly, if a scene like this was not designed to get a reaction of the audience

Then by all means. What do you think the intent is here? The music, the framing of the characters, the editing, etc.

Again, it's how people choose to react to being excited. And if you DECIDE that you need to whoop and clap like a moron behind the person sitting quietly in front of you, you're making the communal experience all about yourself and saying Fuck It to considering anybody else around you.
This doesn't really seem like an issue when 99% of the audience reacts as intended. That one party pooper watching an avengers film on opening night seems like the issue in that equation. You're talking as if 25% of the audience cheers and ruins it for other people who are just trying to blankly stare at their super serious comic book movie. That's not at all the case. You know it. I know it.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

So no, saying Erm, actually, the Russo Bros specifically design this scene for me to let out my Marvel war cry doesn't really pass mustard. You're just being inconsiderate to others who have paid the same money as you and might be feeling even more excited by the goings-on on screen, if they knew what the character on screen had just said, instead of being distracted by you.

Considering how the ubiquity and popularity of reaction videos to popular media these days I think Marvel and Disney know exactly what they're aiming for in terms of reactions.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the brothers have said it themselves that they made the scenes in Endgame for that after they saw the reactions in Infinity War, there's no pretending.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends; the hyperspace kamikaze scene in The Last Jedi got universal silence, and then a kid went 'whoa'.

'twas only proper.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Depends on the movie...Endgame or TFA, cheering and whatnot during big moments is cool. Literally any other movie that you're just randomly talking through, shut the fuck up.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the brothers have said it themselves that they made the scenes in Endgame for that after they saw the reactions in Infinity War, there's no pretending.

Shit just look at how people reacting like crazy to something like the Tournament of Power in Dragon Ball Super can propel something out of its niche into a much more well known phenomenon. Heck you could say the same thing about people reacting to the Red Wedding from GoT. People might not care for such overwrought and over the top reactions to media but its something that a lot of creators are aiming to bring about because they know what it can do for an IP.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Shit just look at how people reacting like crazy to something like the Tournament of Power in Dragon Ball Super can propel something out of its niche into a much more well known phenomenon. Heck you could say the same thing about people reacting to the Red Wedding from GoT. People might not care for such overwrought and over the top reactions to media but its something that a lot of creators are aiming to bring about because they know what it can do for an IP.
And it's sorta crazy to think about. GoT's final two seasons were all about exploiting the anxiety about character death the audience felt due to the earlier seasons. And thus something that would be typical like the reinforcements arriving to save Jon or yet another Dany dragon riding scene are given much more weight.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Listen ...some of the kills in a John Wick movie are GOING to get a reaction.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
When the Godzilla 2014 came out, during the ending where Godzilla Kils the last kaiju by hitting them with a point blank Atomic Breath right down their face I got so hyped I clapped and might of shouted. It was openning night. I was not the only one who did this.

I still feel shame for this.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I'm yeah I guess. It's just weird to me, I've seen all kinds of films opening week but never been in an audience like that.
It's rare for people to even applaud at the end of a film over here. I think I've only seen that happen once.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
People tend to make some noise when they're excited. When the intention is, get the audience as excited as if they're watching sports, then ofc people are gonna cheer. Frankly, if a scene like this was not designed to get a reaction of the audience

Then by all means. What do you think the intent is here? The music, the framing of the characters, the editing, etc.

This is silly. Your argument falls apart the moment you realize no one cheers on repeat viewings because it is designed to up the scene, not you.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This is silly. Your argument falls apart the moment you realize no one cheers on repeat viewings because it is designed to up the scene, not you.
People don't tend to have reactions as visceral the next time through on any piece of media. It's funny cause the Russo brothers themselves recorded crowd reactions

www.cheatsheet.com

'Avengers: Endgame': The Russo Brothers on the Fan Reaction That Made Them Emotional

Fans of 'Avengers: Endgame' have many notable moments that touched them. The directors, the Russo Brothers, reveal which struck a chord with them, too.

They got this down to a science and don't make these moments unaware of the reactions it'll get.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
People don't tend to have reactions as visceral the next time through on any piece of media. It's funny cause the Russo brothers themselves recorded crowd reactions

www.cheatsheet.com

'Avengers: Endgame': The Russo Brothers on the Fan Reaction That Made Them Emotional

Fans of 'Avengers: Endgame' have many notable moments that touched them. The directors, the Russo Brothers, reveal which struck a chord with them, too.

They got this down to a science and don't make these moments unaware of the reactions it'll get.
Man I can imagine the feeling the brothers must have been experiencing while they see audience react that way to their work.

If it's ok to cry in a film during an intense emotional scene, and even laugh during an intensely humorous scene (though like I previously said some people don't even do that), then why is it unnatural to not have the same intensity for the feeling of excitement? All of these are feelings afterall. Like Black Panther is literally screaming and doing a war chat right there with hero music, hero shots, and the audience is suppose to go mm ok? lol

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

www.cheatsheet.com

Them recording reactions isn't anything, though. Nothing about the scene was designed to get people to scream incredibly loud at the screen. The scene was designed to up the action scene, not get people up to scream.

You have zero evidence to prove the scene is meant to illicit music / sports / live entertainment type of cheering. You can say basically any third act big bang is designed for that, but saying that is meaningless because the film makers aren't making this to get you out of your seat that one time. They are doing it to actually make the film, ya know, have elements that ramp up and make sense. Heck, live theatre discourages that behavior (except for certain shows) even though they have hype moments within the piece.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Cheering during an epic scene or laughing at a comedic scene is one thing. Cheering loudly to the point that I can't even hear the dialogue is where I draw the line. I missed the "I am Iron Man" line during Endgame because some fucksticks cheered all the way through that scene once Tony got the gems.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Them recording reactions isn't anything, though. Nothing about the scene was designed to get people to scream incredibly loud at the screen. The scene was designed to up the action scene, not get people up to scream.

You have zero evidence to prove the scene is meant to illicit music / sports / live entertainment type of cheering. You can say basically any third act big bang is designed for that, but saying that is meaningless because the film makers aren't making this to get you out of your seat that one time. They are doing it to actually make the film, ya know, have elements that ramp up and make sense. Heck, live theatre discourages that behavior (except for certain shows) even though they have hype moments within the piece.

And I'd argue that they don't have to design it for people to scream. People scream because that's how reactions are often being framed these days. As I said go watch people from all walks of life and all countries reacting to something like the ToP in DBS. Whatever you think the natural reaction to Goku powering up yet again to beat up yet another giant muscle guy people's reactions were very over the top in one way or the other. As I said people might not like this here but its often becoming the norm, just watch any reaction vids and a lot of folks act like this, hell some of the most popular people get that popular because of these over the top reactions and its nothing new. Shit's been going this way since Let's Plays became popular.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I really like it. I have only lived in countries where it does not happen though. Stone cold silence both in Japan and where I grew up, so I have only really experienced it once.

When I was in my late teens, I went to see my cousin in Canada. We didnt have any better ideas to pass the time so we went to see Mission Impossible 2 at what she said was a "dollar theatre" so late run movies at next to nothing ticket price, and I was interested to see the movie because it was directed by John Woo and I liked The Killer etc. The movie is what everyone knows it to be but the audience was going absolutely batshit. The experience of watching it with people up out of their seats at different action moments is actually a cherished memory.

Conversely, I also remember when I was studying film at university, watching some of the most incredible movies that have ever been made, turning round to other people in the theatre only to see that they were all asleep with their lunch on their chest.

I think if people are enjoying themselves, whats the harm? That being said, I have never experienced it with a movie that I really wanted to see to the point that it got in the way of me watching it.

^edit^ as for designing movies for reactions, they definitely do but they definitely have for ages. If you watch a Marx brothers movie, especially the first lot, they pad out time after jokes with reaction shots so people can laugh, and they specifically tested that and that is almost 100 years ago now.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I don't mind it on opening night watches but like 3 weeks after a movies out gtfo. Opening night it's fine because you're there for the experience.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
It's always a matter of appropriateness - screaming in response to jump scares, laughing in response to punchlines, yelping in shock in response to sudden events, and yes, even cheering and whooping and clapping during crowd-pleasers. Like we have this thread every time an MCU movie comes out and every time it has to be explained that yes, a blockbuster movie explicitly sets up and frames moments in such a way that it gets crowds to applause, this ain't rocket science and it certainly ain't new rocket science.

You know what is inappropriate? Having a bunch of dorky manchildren attempt to roast a movie live like they're the goddamn Nostalgia Critic. No, dipshits, you ain't that funny, so please shut the fuck up.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm usually seeing movies in Minnesota where people are more socially reserved but I don't mind a bit of audience reaction, that's part of the fun of going to a theater. It would be weird if people didn't laugh at jokes or react a little at big turns of events in popcorn action-adventure movies.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I paid my money and I'll enjoy the movie however I want. Especially if it's a movie I have been waiting a long time to see.

If people wanna see a movie in complete silence then they can wait till it's available to buy or stream.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Audience reactions are usually pretty sparse unless you go to an opening night showing, in which case you should be prepared for what you signed up for. I've personally gotten into the habit of watching audience reactions to a movie on youtube once I've watched it myself first, it's pretty damn entertaining. Except for Indian audience reactions, they overdo it way too much and whistle incessantly whenever a character so much as moves a finger.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

If they aren't designed to create a reaction and they're not expecting it, then why are they filming ahead of time expecting a reaction? They know what they're doing and what they expect it to invoke in the audience. That's why they're purposely recording it.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Depends entirely on the film.

If I'm watching my arthouse weird shit at my local indie cinema I'd rather not have some chap hooting and hollering at the existential dialogue,

This has actually happened.
I'm sorry but this is funny to picture. But also would have been annoying for that kind of movie.