• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AllBusinessJr

Oct 27, 2017
My setup is over the top, especially considering the generally poor audio quality given the games these days. I wish PS4 would keep up with Microsoft's offering and give us Dolby Atmos headphone. Oh well, here it goes:

Optical out from PS4 Pro to Creative X7 (upgraded op-amps from Sparkos Labs). The X7 functions as a DAC and provides virtual surround sound via RCA out to my Schiit Jotunheim headphone amp. From there, I use a MrSpeakers Ether C Flow conntected via XLR.

When I need to chat, I can plug-in my Antlion Modmic to the mic in jack on the Creative X7.

Ya, it's overkill, but I love it. FWIW, I also send optical signal to the X7 from my Chromecast Audio and use the rig as a music listening setup, too. Sufficiently end game for me. I accumulated the gear slowly enough for my wife to sign off, and she can hear the difference in sound quality.

art_vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm trying to decide between the Bose QuietComfort 25 and the beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm. No amplifier or DAC on me if that helps.

These are two very different headphones, if I'm not mistaken. I've got both the Bose QC35's and the Beyer DT990 Premium, and assuming that their cousins that you're looking at are similarly styled (I know the 990's are open back vs. the 770 being closed back, but still), you'd be looking at different applications. You also need to ask yourself if you're looking for sound experience or usability, first and foremost.

The biggest question might just be whether or not you want active noise cancellation or not. If yes, then Bose, if not or you don't care, I might lean Beyer based on my experiences with the models I have. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my QC35's, but they have very specific applications for me. The good news is, both are extremely comfortable.

Ignoring the wireless functionality since the 25's are wired, the QC35 is my go to when I'm in noisier environments. So, when I'm out and about in the city I'll default to them, but also I do also make use of them and the noise cancelling at home when doing the dishes, vacuuming, etc. They have decent sound, but I don't find there's anything incredible or unique about them. They definitely don't sound bad, and I'd recommend them to anyone specifically looking for noise cancelling.

The Beyerdynamic experience would be different with a closed back design such as the 770 vs. the open back of my 990's, BUT I presume you'd still be getting a different audio experience. Beyerdynamic, much like other brands like Sennheiser, etc have a bit of a signature sound. They're usually pretty bright in general, and I find that they have a bit of a punch to their bass. Every pair I've heard has a very crisp sound profile. Because of this, I really love my 990's for gaming, as I just feel like I can hear everything, and very clearly at that. I probably lean slightly more to the warmer sound of my Sennheiser's for music, but even so, I do find myself wanting the Beyer sound here and there and I find them to be quite versatile as such. I do personally prefer the soundstage that open back headphones provide, so it could be swaying my judgement a touch.

I do recommend looking at getting a DAC/amp when you're able to though. At 80ohm you'll be ok for the most part, but the difference between on board sound and a decent DAC is huge, particularly when listening through a decent set of headphones. Even with the old pair of Sennheiser 598's I have, which I think are just 50ohms(?), and the difference between my DAC and on board is night and day.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks a lot for the detailed response mate -- i'll definitely be sampling the Z1R in the near future. What are your thoughts on comfort? I recently had a Focal Utopia but ultimately decided to sell it. The clamp pressure was a bit too much and comfort was good but not great.
With that being said, it's the best sounding headphones i've ever heard in my life, surpassing even the Abyss. Wish it was more comfortable.

Haha no opinion. My friend is looking at the exact model and thought i'd ask to get how you like it :)

They're extremely comfortable. One of the most comfortable headphones I've tested. Lightweight with just the right amount of clamp.

The only negative I have comfort-wise is that if it's warm or you're using them for hours on end in say a gaming run (eg Gran Turismo Sport coupled with using the steering wheel), it can get hot and sweaty around the earpad area.

I give the earpads a wipe down and apply this leather wax every now and again, which keeps the earpads looking and feeling as good as new.

Thank you for the pointer to Massdrop HD6XX headphone group buy. That likes like a great deal for amazing headphones for the price so I jumped in. I currently have a pair of audio technica ath-m50x cans and they are pretty great but I wanted to spice those up a bit and HD6XX for $200 fit the bill.

Can anyone recommend a good DAC for $200 or under? Preferably portable.

Grab the Objective 2+ODAC Rev B. You can grab B stock for cheaper with a rear mounted power jack here (scroll down on the web page).
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/169/objective2-odac-combo-revb-b-stock/

I have one among other DAC's and Amps and have compared it in blind tests to gear orders of magnitude more expensive, suffice to say it tussles with the best of them.

Massdrop does their own variant, but I haven't seen a drop on it in forever.

Last edited:

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
So I need to upgrade my older Yamaha receiver as I just bought an LG B7P.

Whats the best 400-500 dollar receiver out there right now? I

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I vote Bose... functions well for travel/on the go use.

By the time I was considering checking out it sold out :(

These are two very different headphones, if I'm not mistaken. I've got both the Bose QC35's and the Beyer DT990 Premium, and assuming that their cousins that you're looking at are similarly styled (I know the 990's are open back vs. the 770 being closed back, but still), you'd be looking at different applications. You also need to ask yourself if you're looking for sound experience or usability, first and foremost.

In the end I went for the Sennheiser HD1. They were being offered for $250 on Amazon and my friend was insisting I buy them. He's a bit of an audiophile so I went with it.

I mostly use my headphones at home And they're my primary listening device, be it for games, music, or general video media. For the past 6 years I have been using the Audio Technica ATHESW9A but it's been worn down and I guess I just felt like changing it up a bit.

However i have yet to be charged (and since I use free shipping I'll have a good amount of time to mull over this decision) so if you still have any feedback that would be great. I just noticed that they're on ear as well instead of over ear.

Last edited:

art_vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
In the end I went for the Sennheiser HD1. They were being offered for $250 on Amazon and my friend was insisting I buy them. He's a bit of an audiophile so I went with it.

I mostly use my headphones at home And they're my primary listening device, be it for games, music, or general video media. For the past 6 years I have been using the Audio Technica ATHESW9A but it's been worn down and I guess I just felt like changing it up a bit.

Enjoy! It's hard to go wrong with Sennheiser, and I'd personally feel that the HD1's would be a step up from more or less anything AT. I've got the 598's and 6xx (650's), and while the 598's admittedly collect dust for me now with the 6xx's, I've had nothing but good experiences with the brand. I've only sampled the HD1 in store, but they sounded great as demo units and review quite well so I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Grab the Objective 2+ODAC Rev B. You can grab B stock for cheaper with a rear mounted power jack here (scroll down on the web page).
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/169/objective2-odac-combo-revb-b-stock/

I have one among other DAC's and Amps and have compared it in blind tests to gear orders of magnitude more expensive, suffice to say it tussles with the best of them.

Massdrop does their own variant, but I haven't seen a drop on it in forever.
Interesting. I checked out the site and it looks like B stock with couple customizations will run about $270 or so with shipping. Is their B stock alright in quality?

Going to see if I can pull some reviews up. It's a bit more then I wanted to spend but $80 doesn't make a difference in the long run if it's a good product.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Any features you care about? What speakers will you be connecting?

Really want something with a good auto calibration system. Atmos would be nice to have but not a deal breaker. My current Yamaha RX-V1065 has around 105W a channel so I don't really want to go any lower than that.

I have a 5.1 SVS Prime setup that I currently have connected. I am running DTS out of my PS4 right now and while its okay, i still notice a clear loss of fidelity compared to the lossless stuff that I am used to.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. I checked out the site and it looks like B stock with couple customizations will run about $270 or so with shipping. Is their B stock alright in quality?

Going to see if I can pull some reviews up. It's a bit more then I wanted to spend but $80 doesn't make a difference in the long run if it's a good product.

Bear in mind that's an Amp and DAC combo. So you're getting two in one and can essentially sell on your current Amp. And B grade stock is usually fine besides very minor cosmetic imperfections. Eg a tiny scratch or mark, a font being off centre etc. You could always email them ahead of time to ask for the best B grade they have.

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
By the time I was considering checking out it sold out :(

However i have yet to be charged (and since I use free shipping I'll have a good amount of time to mull over this decision) so if you still have any feedback that would be great. I just noticed that they're on ear as well instead of over ear.
I purchased some Bowers & Wilkins PX yesterday. Take a look at those, they seem to be reviewing quite well and are comparable to the HD1 (Over ear).

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoy! It's hard to go wrong with Sennheiser, and I'd personally feel that the HD1's would be a step up from more or less anything AT. I've got the 598's and 6xx (650's), and while the 598's admittedly collect dust for me now with the 6xx's, I've had nothing but good experiences with the brand. I've only sampled the HD1 in store, but they sounded great as demo units and review quite well so I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

Thanks for the voice of confidence, I feel better about keeping them now.

I purchased some Bowers & Wilkins PX yesterday. Take a look at those, they seem to be reviewing quite well and are comparable to the HD1 (Over ear).

They look pretty nice and seem to be reviewed well. However they're also way over my budget. I originally put a ceiling of $200 and only broke it because the HD1 was being offered for $250 instead of $350 and seemed to have a lot of features when compared to the more basic functioning headphones I was planning on buying.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Bear in mind that's an Amp and DAC combo. So you're getting two in one and can essentially sell on your current Amp. And B grade stock is usually fine besides very minor cosmetic imperfections. Eg a tiny scratch or mark, a font being off centre etc. You could always email them ahead of time to ask for the best B grade they have.
Don't have an amp right now as I mainly use my ATs on the PC and sometimes on PS4. So that's a good point as this will allow me to have an amp as well.

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
earc.jpg

Mandatory lip sync correction for the new eARC HDMI 2.1 spec is huge, as is the audio bandwidth... AV Receiver upgrades may become a thing of the past!

taahahmed

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yo is there any way to make games output 5.1 surround sound on PC?

I'm sure some games have audio options to turn on surround sound but that's not the case for a ton of games. Is there any way from a computer driver perspective to activate 5.1 in PC games?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way from a computer driver perspective to activate 5.1 in PC games?
A game must be programmed with capability to use 5.1 sound. If it's not then there's no way to force it - other than just "upscaling" the number of output channels via AVR or something like CMSS but this won't give you true 5.1 output anyway.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

I'm sure some games have audio options to turn on surround sound but that's not the case for a ton of games. Is there any way from a computer driver perspective to activate 5.1 in PC games?

Eh? What games? I can't think of any recent games that have been 2.1 audio in a long while (minus maybe some indie games).

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Sound stuff, Awwwww Yis!

** Sorry for the big pics, i've just grabbed them from the web, i've not taken them my self **

Living Room Equipment

AV Receiver

Dennon avr-x2400h

AVR-X2400H%20E2_E1C%20BK%20photo_DNTXILofnjuxqn.jpg
de_avrx2400h_e3_re_lo-800.jpg

https://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/homecinema/avreceiver/avrx2400h

I bought this as the first piece of my new 4k HDR kit (not the thread for it, but i picked up the LG OLED55B7V - 55" as my new TV)

All eight HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs feature HDCP 2.2 compatibility and the latest HDMI specifications, including 4K Ultra HD 60Hz video, 4:4:4 Pure Colour sub-sampling, High Dynamic Range (HDR) and 21:9 video, 3D, and BT.2020 pass-through support.

I'm loving this so far. A much cleaner sound than my old Sony str-dn1000.

Speakers

i've kept my speakers from my last living room set-up which are a KEF "Egg" KHT2005.3 5.1 system with a Kube 2 Sub.

I have this in a regular sized London apartment living room, and even though they are satelites, they are perhaps still get a but loud for my gf (and sometimes neighbours).

$_86.JPG
6009514722_0fd3ca13b9_b.jpg

I love the sound out of these things.

PC - Office Equipment

Dac and Speakers

For my gaming pc i use the following:

AudioEngine D1 DAC connected to Audioengine A5+ 2-way Speakers (on the rubber wedge stands)

attachment.php
Audioengine_5+_35117206_02.jpg

Nice rich big sound out of these.

Headphones

And for when i need to be quiet or play on-line i use the Philips Fidelio X2 + Modmic 5

Philips_X2_Photo_Main.jpg
$_1.JPG

REALLY comfortable with incredible sound.

INCOMING

Next week i'm picking up a new pair of Bowers & Wilkins PX Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones to replace my Bowers & Wilkins P5 for my daily commute

bowers-wilkins-px.jpg

Quite excited about these.

Sorry fi the post was a bit long, but wanted to share what i was using. Happy to answer any questions on any of it (but i'm nowhere near the expert that Gn0mercy is)

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
This has been my audio setup for a long time, but I just recently moved so I snapped a cool shot.

audioengine D1 DAC -> 70's Marantz 2230 -> Fidelio X1 'phones.

UnqOQ54.jpg

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't had time to really mess with the Logitech G933, but I was wondering if your custom audio presets (using the PC software) carry over to the Xbox and other consoles.

backbreaker

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best sound I have experienced is 3D audio in Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4, those experiences being designed for the PS4 Plat headset is unmatched, and you couple that with a great transducer for low frequency sound/vibration.

Last edited:

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
My main Home Theater Setup
Denon AVR-S910W Receiver
7.1 PolkAudio Speakers (2 Towers for Fronts, Dedicated Center Speaker, rest are Bookshelves with a Subwoofer)

I have always wanted to upgrade my speakers as they are decent but not the best out there, but then I listen to them and they do a pretty good job. Besides the fact my wife is constantly asking me to turn it down, so really it would not matter what speakers I have, I almost never get to put them at a loud volume.

My receiver does support Atmos and I have to say AC Origins is the first game I have played that utilizes it and through a home theater setup the sound really is pretty damn immersive.

I also have headphones for each console. I have way too many headphones if I am being honest. My wife always falls asleep before me so I need to use headphones to play when she does.

taahahmed

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
United States
A game must be programmed with capability to use 5.1 sound. If it's not then there's no way to force it - other than just "upscaling" the number of output channels via AVR or something like CMSS but this won't give you true 5.1 output anyway.

Damn... Thanks.

Eh? What games? I can't think of any recent games that have been 2.1 audio in a long while (minus maybe some indie games).

Don't Source engine games have surround sound options? Not 100% sure.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
For some time I was pursuing virtual 3D audio (binaural, HRTF) through sound cards, specifically a Creative X-Fi SB Titanium. For games with hardware support through DirectSound3D or OpenAL, it provided a great experience with headphones. With the introduction of Windows Vista further native support ended, though with tools such as ALchemy you could still take advantage of the games with native support.

This is when we were left with using these algorithms with limited channel information. You no longer had ~128 channels coming from any point in 3D space to use, but had to make do with 5.1 (typically) channels and no height information. This is what most 3D virtual audio software such as Dolby Surround, THX TruStudio, Razer Surround, and CMSS-3D (this can be used for older native support, or the limited channel downscaled version). This is also when I started to upgrade to better headphones, and quickly came to the conclusion that this method wasn't worth it. It muddies the audio too much. With a good pair of open headphones with a nice soundstage, I find 2.1 is fantastic.

There have been two recent virtual 3D audio technologies that are different however, these are object-based, and supposedly similar to what was capable with DirectSound3D and OpenAL: Dolby Atmos and DTS Headphone: X. I've only had a chance to use it in Overwatch and Elite: Dangerous respectively, but it sounded good enough that it might be worth the trade-offs in clarity in some cases.

My current setup is an O2 + ODAC with HD600s and X2s. I love the HD600s. I use the X2s for certain genres, but they're fantastic as well.

audiosetupj6uai.png

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Open the sound control panel and make sure that your device is configured for a 5.1 output.
Most games automatically use that instead of having their own options.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
So I picked up a pair of Turtle Beach Stealth 600s for my Xbox One a week ago after reading up on them in another thread, and I had to exchange them yesterday because I thought the unit itself was experiencing audio issues--specifically, sound distortion, and variance in pitch at random intervals--but lo and behold, this new unit has the same damn problem.

I'm starting to think it might either be the console itself, bugs with the wireless protocol, or whatever else that may be happening. Because I really just want these fucking things to work right and sound good, like every review of the damn thing says they do.

Does anyone know what might be the real cause here? Because I'm tired of this shit already.

taahahmed

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Open the sound control panel and make sure that your device is configured for a 5.1 output.
Most games automatically use that instead of having their own options.

Here's the problem: I only have the option to enable Stereo :/

Right now, I have my PC connected to my TV via HDMI with my TV connected to my AV receiver via HDMI (using ARC).

What's interesting is that surround sound works automatically when I watch Netflix but not for games.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the problem: I only have the option to enable Stereo :/
Right now, I have my PC connected to my TV via HDMI with my TV connected to my AV receiver via HDMI (using ARC).
What's interesting is that surround sound works automatically when I watch Netflix but not for games.
It sounds like your TV is not capable of accepting a 5.1 LPCM signal and encoding it to a compressed Dolby Digital or DTS signal for output via HDMI ARC.
HDMI ARC only supports Dolby Digital 5.1 / DTS compressed audio, and I don't think there is a way to use Dolby Digital Live or DTS: Connect on PC via HDMI; only S/PDIF, and only if you have a sound card which supports it.
If you hook up your PC to the AVR, and then go from the AVR to the TV, you should be able to use 5.1 LPCM.
eARC in HDMI 2.1 appears to finally solve most of the problems with the original HDMI ARC spec. HDMI ARC is terrible and should be avoided whenever possible.

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
This has been my audio setup for a long time, but I just recently moved so I snapped a cool shot.

audioengine D1 DAC -> 70's Marantz 2230 -> Fidelio X1 'phones.

UnqOQ54.jpg

Holyshit...

That Marantz looks beautiful. That receiver has so much style, we need to embrace the design style of old. How does it sound?

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
Holyshit...

That Marantz looks beautiful. That receiver has so much style, we need to embrace the design style of old. How does it sound?

Thanks, it is real pretty! Older Marantz receivers had a warm signature. So combine that with the X1's and you're in warm, bassy heaven.

AllBusinessJr

Oct 27, 2017
The best sound I have experienced is 3D audio in Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4, those experiences being designed for the PS4 Plat headset is unmatched, and you couple that with a great transducer for low frequency sound/vibration.

It's really a shame that Sony has locked the best headphone audio encoding behind their own headset instead of opening it up to all users like Microsoft did with Atmos Headphone. As a PlayStation only owner and headphone gamer, I feel like we are missing out.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Not so interesting as Netflix is likely bitstreaming Dolby Digital which is then transferred without any processing via HDMI through your TV to your receiver. What does the AVR says when it gets such stream? It's probably DD 5.1 suddenly instead of PCM 2.0.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What kind of price would i need to pay to get 5.1 out of a Wii U/Switch?

I'm talking about HDMI in --> Jack/RCA out

Buddeh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My system consists of
AMR DP777SE dac - €5000
Marantz PM11S3 amplifier - $4999
Klipsch Cornwall III speakers - $4400

Will change the amp to a LM Audio 518IA tube amp.

hpiETuw.jpg

1-2.jpg

A picture of my next beauty
nKoTw5u.jpg

Last edited:

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
I need your help folks. I may sound a bit stupid asking this but whatever...

Just got my DT 770 pro headphones (250 ohm) and am a bit confused because no matter what I do I cannot get the sound really loud. Am I missing something or what? Granted, I am only using the onboard soundcard from my Maximus VII Hero mainboard but from what I read it's supposed to have a good soundcard. I mean, the sound is really good and all. I just want it to be.... louder. I turned everything to max in both Windows and the Supreme FX manager but I would still like it to be a notch good louder.

Now, I could and would also be willing to buy an additional amplifier but before I do I just wanted to confirm that I didn't miss anything. I'm a bit puzzled because I saw people claiming in other forums that the headphones are loud enough for them without an additional amplifier, which I find very hard to believe giving the sound I am hearing (and yes, I have a good hearing).

Did I miss some settings or is this normal? I never had problems getting loud sound with my old Stereo Headset from Sony - but that one had it's own volume regulator, which the DT 770 pro doesn't seem to have.

Would really appreciate help. Sorry for the (probably dumb) question. I'm an audio noob. :(

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Just got my DT 770 pro headphones (250 ohm) and am a bit confused because no matter what I do I cannot get the sound really loud. Am I missing something or what? Granted, I am only using the onboard soundcard from my Maximus VII Hero mainboard but from what I read it's supposed to have a good soundcard. I mean, the sound is really good and all. I just want it to be.... louder. I turned everything to max in both Windows and the Supreme FX manager but I would still like it to be a notch good louder.

Now, I could and would also be willing to buy an additional amplifier but before I do I just wanted to confirm that I didn't miss anything. I'm a bit puzzled because I saw people claiming in other forums that the headphones are loud enough for them without an additional amplifier, which I find very hard to believe giving the sound I am hearing (and yes, I have a good hearing).

Did I miss some settings or is this normal? I never had problems getting loud sound with my old Stereo Headset from Sony - but that one had it's own volume regulator, which the DT 770 pro doesn't seem to have.

Would really appreciate help. Sorry for the (probably dumb) question. I'm an audio noob. :(

Yeah, you would need an amp. The motherboard most likely can't give enough juice since the 770 Pro impedance is 250 ohms. There is an 80 ohm version of the 770, that is probably what people were talking about.

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017

I don't really know anything about that audio card but from what you're saying about the audio and with the headphones being 250 ohms it certainly sounds like it's just not powerful enough to drive them, You may be able to increase the volume via software but I wouldn't really recommend that as you'll likely start killing the sound quality if you force it.

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
Yeah, you would need an amp. The motherboard most likely can't give enough juice since the 770 Pro impedance is 250 ohms. There is an 80 ohm version of the 770, that is probably what people were talking about.
So less ohms means it's louder on it's own? If yes, what'd you recommend? Return the 250 ohm headset and take the 80 ohm instead or buy and additional amp for the 250 ohms? Money is not really the issue here. I just want to best sound.

If 250 ohms with amp is to be prefered, any amp you can recommend? I was eying with the Sennheiser GSX 1000. That solid enough?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So less ohms means it's louder on it's own? If yes, what'd you recommend? Return the 250 ohm headset and take the 80 ohm instead or buy and additional amp for the 250 ohms? Money is not really the issue here. I just want to best sound.

If 250 ohms with amp is to be prefered, any amp you can recommend? I was eying with the Sennheiser GSX 1000. That solid enough?

The "best sound" is subjective and something only you can decide. You can exchange the 250 ohm version for the 80 ohm version. I'd say keep the 250 and get an amp, which can help with future headphones you may buy down the line. There are a number of amps you can use: Schiit Magni 3, Little Dot Mk 2, JDS Labs O2, for example. I'm not too familiar with the Sennheiser GSX 1000.
There are more knowledgable posters in the official headphone OT: https://www.resetera.com/threads/he...rough-the-distortion-we-remain-lossless.2975/

Also, what are you using your headphones for? Gaming, music, both? With a good pair of headphones like the DT 770, music files less than 320 kbps might not sound as good.

BlueBikinis

Oct 27, 2017
Upgraded my Acoustic Research floor standing speakers from the 80's to some HTD level 3 bookshelf speakers and stands from their website. Out for delivery atm, cannot wait to watch some movies and listen to music this weekend!!!!

Quick edit: Anyone have any recommendations for a new receiver that has 4k @ 60hz 4:4:4 and all teh latest goodies for around $300? currently on an old Yamaha receiver and would like to take advantage of my 4k tv and other new features.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

Generally, the higher the headphone impedance, the higher the voltage required to play at a specific volume. Sensitivity of the driver is also a factor, but it's mainly impedance.
Low impedance headphones are easy to play at loud volumes, since they require less voltage.

So why aren't all headphones low impedance designs, and why do some studio headphones have different options for impedance?
Well high impedance headphones generally require that you connect them to an amplifier to play at good volume levels - which is going to be readily available in a studio environment.
High impedance headphones avoid picking up noise from the source, and are easy to drive without distortion.
You just throw voltage at them to solve the problem, and you generally don't have to worry about damping factor at all, since 1/8 of 250Ω is 31.25Ω, which is a very high output impedance.

Low impedance headphones have to worry about the output impedance of whatever they're connected to.
They're sensitive to noise (hiss) and require a well-engineered headphone output that has a very low impedance.
They also require a current-based amplifier rather than a voltage-based amplifier to be driven well without distortion. This will make them sound "less refined" than they could, rather than sounding bad though.

That being said, the 80Ω DT770s are what I'd call moderate impedance, not low impedance headphones.
If you have, or plan to use a dedicated headphone amplifier, the higher impedance headphones are what I'd recommend.
The low impedance headphones won't need an amplifier for volume, but would potentially benefit from one for audio quality.

Looking over the manual for the Maximus VII Hero, it appears that you have to install their software and be connected to the front headphone jack to use the "Sonic SenseAmp" feature.
It apparently detects the headphone impedance automatically and changes the headphone amplifier's output accordingly.