• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
keep an eye on prices around black friday/holidays. they run em for $79 some times.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I can wait a few weeks. I have a pair of old cheap Brainwavz as backup so they'll hold me over until then.

How's the bass on those headphones? I read a few comments that said the bass is a little weak. I listen to a variety of music including hip hop and though I dont need the bass to blow my ears out, I'd still like them to be punchy when needed.

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
Neither Red Dead Redemption 2 or Black Ops 4 are Atmos titles. By my count, there are only 6 Atmos titles. More importantly, setting your Xbox One to "Atmos" for sound streams a 7.1 output with no information coming out of the ceiling channels (ie, your receiver won't be doing any upmixing).

Are you talking about Atmos upmixing, then? It's not quite clear.

So, there's something else going on here. What AVR do you have? What do you have your Xbox One X's audio output setting set to during these games?
Denon AVR x6400h. Setting my receiver to Direct shows an output of Atmos from the XBOX, which could be forced through the XBOX itself I guess. Output shows Atmos as well. I am getting upmixing through all 11 speakers in BLOPS, but only 9 in RDR2.

For what it's worth, I get some audio stutter in Horizon 4 on XBX as well. Running it from my PC in Atmos doesn't have stutter though.

The stuttering doesn't occur on any other source, and after doing some searches, it seems this is a common issue with XBOX Atmos output.

Last edited:

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I can wait a few weeks. I have a pair of old cheap Brainwavz as backup so they'll hold me over until then.

How's the bass on those headphones? I read a few comments that said the bass is a little weak. I listen to a variety of music including hip hop and though I dont need the bass to blow my ears out, I'd still like them to be punchy when needed.
pretty good for their size

i always use Wiz Khalifa's "on my level" to test out low frequency on headphones, and they sound great imho, within what earbuds are capable of, of course. over ears will outperform them and something that's more, like power beats or something, would probably have more bass but i really like what they are for the price.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Hey audio experts! Decided to treat myself to a new AV receiver, sub and 2 front speakers. I have the following:

- TV is Samsung KS8000 (I think)
- Amp is Onkyo TX-L50
- Amp is Monitor Audio MRW-10
- Front speakers are Monitor Audio Bronze II

Everything sounds great and a huge improvement, I just don't know a lot about audio/visual setups and had a few questions:

1. The HDMI out on the receiver is labelled ARC, does this need to go into the TV HDMI labelled ARC? Does this really matter? I won't be using anything other than HDMI sources on the amp.

2. As this is a 2.1 setup, does the amp detect everything automatically? I've the option of music sound profiles such as direct, stereo, Dolby Surround, DTS Neural:X. To me, the latter sounds best for music (Spotify on my Nvidia Shield TV) What setting should I use?

3. Should I be going onto each setting menu of my HDMI input devices (Shield TV, Xbox One X, Virgin, Switch) and changing anything sound and visual wise?

4. On the sub I've the option to change volume (no issue here lol). Also have the option to change frequency, what should this be? Should phase be set at 0 or 180? Should mode be auto or on?

Any other general advice?

Sorry for the questions, just wanna make sure that I get the best out of it all!

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Denon AVR x6400h. Setting my receiver to Direct shows an output of Atmos from the XBOX, which could be forced through the XBOX itself I guess. Output shows Atmos as well. I am getting upmixing through all 11 speakers in BLOPS, but only 9 in RDR2.

For what it's worth, I get some audio stutter in Horizon 4 on XBX as well. Running it from my PC in Atmos doesn't have stutter though.

The stuttering doesn't occur on any other source, and after doing some searches, it seems this is a common issue with XBOX Atmos output.
Okay, here's the annoyingly odd thing about Red Dead Redemption 2: it is only in 5.1, regardless of what the system is set to.

How are you getting Atmos upmixing off of an Atmos signal? I have an x4400h and I can't do that.

I only ever turn my Xbox One X to "Atmos" output when I know I am going to be playing an Atmos game. Otherwise, I set it to 7.1 and then Neural X upmix the PCM signal. I'm giving Neural X a whirl, after using Dolby Surround exclusively for a long time. I don't know if I favor one or the other right now, but I do like how Neural X treats the overhead channels distinctly, whereas Dolby Surround on treats them as Overhead L/R, regardless of how many you have above. My opinion is purely from a technical standpoint; I haven't done a 1:1 test, though.

Last edited:

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
RedlineRonin can confirm the 5.1 on Kung Fu Panda is fun as hell. The scene when Poe enters the training room has so much subtle use of the surrounds, like arrows flying, etc.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
RedlineRonin can confirm the 5.1 on Kung Fu Panda is fun as hell. The scene when Poe enters the training room has so much subtle use of the surrounds, like arrows flying, etc.
Yeah that one is probably my favorite.

The entire scene is just perfectly encapsulated by him finally stumbling onto the little fire pit thing, and you just hear him solely in the right surround for five seconds as he's getting torched.

God that movie is just the absolutely best, technical achievements aside. Just a great movie.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that one is probably my favorite.

The entire scene is just perfectly encapsulated by him finally stumbling onto the little fire pit thing, and you just hear him solely in the right surround for five seconds as he's getting torched.

God that movie is just the absolutely best, technical achievements aside. Just a great movie.

It is a favorite of mine, for sure. It's just pure fun. It's a touching movie, really well written, etc...but in the end, it's just fun.

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, here's the annoyingly odd thing about Red Dead Redemption 2: it is only in 5.1, regardless of what the system is set to.

How are you getting Atmos upmixing off of an Atmos signal? I have an x4400h and I can't do that.

I only ever turn my Xbox One X to "Atmos" output when I know I am going to be playing an Atmos game. Otherwise, I set it to 7.1 and then Neural X upmix the PCM signal. I'm giving Neural X a whirl, after using Dolby Surround exclusively for a long time. I don't know if I favor one or the other right now, but I do like how Neural X treats the overhead channels distinctly, whereas Dolby Surround on treats them as Overhead L/R, regardless of how many you have above. That's purely from a technical standpoint; I haven't done a 1:1 test, though.
From what I've been seeing, it seems like XBOX is forcing Atmos on everything lately, even if not mastered for it. The result is the crackling and popping in games without Atmos support. I do not bother with switching the XBOX output based on what I'm playing or watching, I've just kept it on Bitstream for Dolby Atmos.

As far as WHY my 6400h is upmixing, I'm guessing it's because it's receiving an "Atmos" input and decodes it as if it were. They are sounding great as far as I'm concerned. To the point where I am not even sure what's a native Atmos game anymore.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Just out of curiosity, what's the verdict on sound bars? Are any worth purchasing?

I have a Vizio P-55 2016 TV that I absolutely love, but I've been looking for something just a bit better when it comes to audio.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Just out of curiosity, what's the verdict on sound bars? Are any worth purchasing?

I have a Vizio P-55 2016 TV that I absolutely love, but I've been looking for something just a bit better when it comes to audio.
Tons worth purchasing and, honestly, north of even probably $150 you're going to get objectively better sound than your TV is producing.
i like the sonos sound bar.
Yep, got a playbar in the living room and love it.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Thanks! I'll look in to the SONOS bar. I was also looking at the Vizio ones since I'm assuming they play nice with my Vizio TV.
Yeah, and to be entirely transparent, the Sonos one has tons of functionality that's more useful if you intend to do multiroom music at some point. If not, that same $700 can probably get you a same/better soundbar with a subwoofer (not included with the sonos bar, but you can get one) that will likely outperform the sonos bar, if you're really only going to use it for games/movies/tv type stuff.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Since this thread is being bumped, I have a question regarding headphones:
Currently I'm using a Mic + Headphone setup for playing games with a
- V-MODA BoomPro
- AKG K 240 Headphones
- custom mini xlr adapter to plugin my mic into the AKGs

That adapter broke and it costs roughly 50$+ with shipping, so I'm planning to get new headphones instead.
Now AKG is pratically irrelevant to me, since I need headphones with a detachable cable / 3,5 mm female jack.

Are there any good (preferably half/open) headphones + detachable cable for somewhere between 100-150 credits?
I heard Sony offers consistently good quality but I really dislike the design of their headphones.
Is the beyerdynamic custom one pro any good?

Thank you very much!

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Hooked up a Dot to my Denon / Harmony and it's bliss. Only thing that bothers me is that Amazon Music Unlimited only wants to play in 3.1 (would prefer it come through the surrounds and heights too). Any ideas?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Hooked up a Dot to my Denon / Harmony and it's bliss. Only thing that bothers me is that Amazon Music Unlimited only wants to play in 3.1 (would prefer it come through the surrounds and heights too). Any ideas?
5ch stereo should at least get it through all main channels. Not guessing you'll get heights tho. Not sure how 2ch source music works with Dolby surround

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
SVS PB-2000 was delayed (they e-mailed an apology, but didn't say why it was delayed) but it is plugged in finally and it is massive. Haven't been able to test it out really much but even when friends were over watching the Avengers last night it was shining. When the hellicarrier is lifting off when Hulk was running through it, the fighting in Manhattan. Mmmm, I can't wait to test some jucier stuff.

What are people's favorite movies / scenes? I heard the start of Edge of Tomorrow is fantastic.

Also, I see youtube has some tests, would these be good when running via my PS4?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
SVS PB-2000 was delayed (they e-mailed an apology, but didn't say why it was delayed) but it is plugged in finally and it is massive. Haven't been able to test it out really much but even when friends were over watching the Avengers last night it was shining. When the hellicarrier is lifting off when Hulk was running through it, the fighting in Manhattan. Mmmm, I can't wait to test some jucier stuff.

What are people's favorite movies / scenes? I heard the start of Edge of Tomorrow is fantastic.

Also, I see youtube has some tests, would these be good when running via my PS4?
Nice. I love my SVS. Nothing like a great sub to top off a great surround sound setup

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis

Any of the transformers movies are really good

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
SVS PB-2000 was delayed (they e-mailed an apology, but didn't say why it was delayed) but it is plugged in finally and it is massive.

I was utterly floored at how big the PB-2000 is. I just got one a few weeks back myself.

My girlfriend and I watched Logan over the weekend. There's a scene near the beginning of the film, when Logan flees the compound, and the bass hit so low and hard that I immediately turned to my girlfriend and said "did you feel that?!" She responded, "yeah! I felt it in my knees!"

Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 are going to make that subwoofer work.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I was utterly floored at how big the PB-2000 is. I just got one a few weeks back myself.

My girlfriend and I watched Logan over the weekend. There's a scene near the beginning of the film, when Logan flees the compound, and the bass hit so low and hard that I immediately turned to my girlfriend and said "did you feel that?!" She responded, "yeah! I felt it in my knees!"

Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 are going to make that subwoofer work.

How far do you sit from it and what is the volume set at on the back?

May 2, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am planning on buying some speakers now that my Logitech set is starting to die. I need to run my sound through my PC, PS4, and TV (Samsung KS8000). I believe I have narrowed down my speaker selection to the Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 and I will possibly pair this with the BIC America F12 subwoofer in the future.

I am not very familiar with audio equipment so I am open to suggestions on speakers and subwoofers if you guys believe there are better options for around the same price or possibly a bit more. My main concern is with the AVR however. I have been reading up on some different features and different models from various brands but I'm not really sure what I should be looking at power or feature wise. I know that I will need an AVR that supports 4k HDR at 60fps and I would like it to be able to support surround sound if I decide to upgrade to that in the future.

One of the AVR systems I have been eyeing is the Marantz NR1608. The brand seems reputable and it seems to have most of the features I need but I'm unsure if this is overkill. Are there better or similar options from other brands that will work for my needs and supply enough power for the speakers and subwoofer? Any suggestions you guys could give about alternatives or additional information in general would be helpful and appreciated. I could also use some help picking out wires/banana plugs and any other components I might need as I don't have experience with this kind of equipment. I will provide a link below to the receiver I mentioned above. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY7F6MJ/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017

Tron Legacy is an amazing showpiece for subwoofers. I have dual SB-2000s and they sound phenomenal, but tuning subs between music, games and movies is a serious challenge. A lot of older games' surround mixing is way, wayyyy too heavy on the subwoofer channel.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Heyo!

So I mistakenly posted my progress update in the TV thread, I apologize, haha.

I have tested the Marantz SR6013 with a stereo setup with 2 Dali Zensor 5 set as large (subwoofer not yet active) and damn, there is some kind of sound volume I guess I have not heard before with the Yamaha 467. I also installed the Oled E6 with a Vogel's Thin 545 and mounted my height speakers. Cable management and surround speakers still need to be done.

I have one question regarding the Rel-T Zero subwoofer. There is a 10 meter cable with it which I have never seen in my life regarding subwoofers. It is for the "high level input" on the Rel and has a red, black and yellow cable on the other end. Wtf is it? The manual says something about using this cable in stereo mode in combination with the speakers and using the LFE input with 5.1 home cinema. I am thoroughly confused.

Edit: I just ordered the BR2049 UHD, really excited to try it out.

Regarding Atmos and height speakers: Both avforums and an article I found testing it say that it is fine. Not exactly like ceiling mounted but good nonetheless. I will test them when I have the cables.

Pics:

axuOp5G.jpg

KcPCwYY.jpg

CMkh9zL.jpg

mqRoCnL.jpg

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I have one question regarding the Rel-T Zero subwoofer. There is a 10 meter cable with it which I have never seen in my life regarding subwoofers. It is for the "high level input" on the Rel and has a red, black and yellow cable on the other end. Wtf is it? The manual says something about using this cable in stereo mode in combination with the speakers and using the LFE input with 5.1 home cinema. I am thoroughly confused.
Behold, the glory of the Neutrik speakON connector!

You plug the other ends of that cable into the front left and right speaker outputs on your receiver. Yes, along with the regular speaker cables that are going to your front speakers. According to Rel, this ensures that "your sub gets the exact same signal as your main speakers, ensuring better integration." It doesn't add to the load that your AVR is dealing with, as the Rel is powered.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Behold, the glory of the Neutrik speakON connector!

You plug the other ends of that cable into the front left and right speaker outputs on your receiver. Yes, along with the regular speaker cables that are going to your front speakers. According to Rel, this ensures that "your sub gets the exact same signal as your main speakers, ensuring better integration." It doesn't add to the load that your AVR is dealing with, as the Rel is powered.
Thank you. This is a stupid question, but can one cable from the sub touch the cable from the speaker? Since both need to go in one hole...

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. This is a stupid question, but can one cable from the sub touch the cable from the speaker? Since both need to go in one hole...
When I used to hook them up, I'd try to put them in opposing "sides" of the binding post, but yes. They don't mention anything about "make sure they don't touch!" in the manual.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I'd assume still no earbuds to match Apple Earbuds that aren't ones you need to push into your ear canal?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume still no earbuds to match Apple Earbuds that aren't ones you need to push into your ear canal?

I can't answer the question but upon my own research on Apple Earbuds over the last weeks I'm genuinely surprised how seemingly good they are for 35€ compared to others in the same price-category.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I can't answer the question but upon my own research on Apple Earbuds over the last weeks I'm genuinely surprised how seemingly good they are for 35€ compared to others in the same price-category.
Yeah basically that's what I've seen that apple owns the out of ear buds market, and not a single person has made anything close to it. Maybe samsung with their earbuds paired with their phones, but past that? I can't find anything, but for 40$ and using my apple earbuds till the days done? They are so fucking worth 40$.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah basically that's what I've seen that apple owns the out of ear buds market, and not a single person has made anything close to it. Maybe samsung with their earbuds paired with their phones, but past that? I can't find anything, but for 40$ and using my apple earbuds till the days done? They are so fucking worth 40$.

Yeah, my only gripe is they break every year due to the cable so I'm actually considering to get Airpods since the under 70€ bluetooth earbud market also isn't too great.

Jul 26, 2018
I'm looking for a cheap soundbar for netflix and some casual and very sporadic gaming. Walmart will have LG SK3D soundbar at 99 for Black Friday. AmazonBasics 2.1 Channel Bluetooth Sound Bar with Built-In Subwoofer is currently at the same price and has recent review for its cost. What do you think about LG SK3D? Other 2.1 soundbar I should consider at the same price?

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
For those with a Denon what sound mode are you using?

I was using pcm multi in + Dolby surround. But then I heard that you should press the yellow pure button to select "auto" then it picks whatever is best.

When I did that it changed it to mutli ch in.

I tried listening but I couldn't tell the difference except it was louder. Can't seem to find that sweet spot. Should I leave it on auto? I have a 5.1 system if that matters.

Edit: Also feels like dynamic volume does a worse job when I switch to auto. Lots of louder sounds coming through now. Maybe it's my mind playing tricks though.

Last edited:

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017

I was using pcm multi in + Dolby surround. But then I heard that you should press the yellow pure button to select "auto" then it picks whatever is best.

I tried listening but I couldn't tell the difference except it was louder. Can't seem to find that sweet spot. Should I leave it on auto? I have a 5.1 system if that matters.

Edit: Also feels like dynamic volume does a worse job when I switch to auto. Lots of louder sounds coming through now. Maybe it's my mind playing tricks though.
I believe that Pure or Pure Direct mode turns off all of the Audyssey stuff, so I wouldn't use it in your situation.

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017

Don't use dynamic volume, as it will compress the signal. I tend to use Dolby Surround or PCM Multi In + Dolby as you are.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
I believe that Pure or Pure Direct mode turns off all of the Audyssey stuff, so I wouldn't use it in your situation.
The pure and pure direct do turn it off. But auto doesn't which was what I had set it to. I looked on info and it said dynamic volume was still at medium so I think it's all good.
Don't use dynamic volume, as it will compress the signal. I tend to use Dolby Surround or PCM Multi In + Dolby as you are.

Yeah I know, Unfortunate situation for me though I have ear issues and can't handle very much change in volume sounds so I have to keep DV on.

Ok sweet. Do you happen to know What's the difference between pcm multi in and pcm multi in + Dolby?

When I select auto it just picks multi in and not multi in + Dolby and I'm wondering why. Is it better quality or better for 5.1?

Edit : here's the sound modes from the manual http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3400H/NA/EN/DRDZSYyrtgycpw.php

It says pcm gets only 1 sound mode - multi in. But when I go to select sound modes I get way more options than that even though I selected pcm on ps4. Kind of confusing.

It also says for Dolby surround to use ceiling speakers to realize a 3 dimension sound field so I guess I should stop using it since I have only a 5.1? It's probably sending out some weird audio to wrong speakers for me.

Last edited:

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Do you happen to know What's the difference between pcm multi in and pcm multi in + Dolby?
The "+Dolby" is your receiver upmixing the source to include any additional speakers you have. This brief HighDef Digest article has the listener doing a quick review; I find it is a good starting point to understanding what Dolby Surround and DTS Neural: X.

PCM Multi In is the direct audio feed from the source. The audio display is in two parts: {Direct Feed from Source} + {AVR upmixing}

You say you have 5.1 speakers. I would think that you couldn't upmix a 5.1 feed to 5.1. How do you have your speaker configuration set up?