• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Observer also says that AEW will be running another PPV before the end of the year

who are these "ROH stars" you speak of

sounds like a made-up term

Rush and...Jay Lethal? Do The Briscoes count?

But yeah, not the best of times at ROH right now. I'll always wish them well.

Not a big surprise at all that there will be at least one more big PPV for AEW before the end of the year.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Rush and...Jay Lethal? Do The Briscoes count?

But yeah, not the best of times at ROH right now. I'll always wish them well.

Not a big surprise at all that there will be at least one more big PPV for AEW before the end of the year.

ROH are deliberately allowing Delirious and Bully Ray to run their company

I can't have any sympathy

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So if Dave's matches are all that is left to be added, these are the 14(!) Summerslam matches:

- Seth vs. Brock for the Universal Title
- Kofi vs. Orton for the WWE Title
- Finn vs. Bray
- Reigns vs. Bryan
- Goldberg vs. Ziggler
- Cedric vs. McIntyre
- Kabuki Warriors vs. Mandy and Sonya vs. Bliss and Cross vs. Iconics for the Women's Tag Titles
- Black vs. Zayn
- Shane vs. Owens
- Gulak vs. Lorcan for the Cruiserweight Title
- AJ vs. Ricochet for the US Title
- Trish vs. Charlotte
- Becky vs. Natalya for the Raw Women's Title
- Bayley vs. Ember for the Smackdown Women's Title

Idk, card looks pretty alright. Nothing that really jumps out as bad. Goldberg/Ziggler will probably be short. Women's Tag could fall apart if they don't lay it out right. Everything else seems solid.
That's a good card. Will be a long show so there will have to be a couple of squashes. I think the women's tag title match will be good, they made that elimination chamber match work somehow with 2 extra teams and the fact a lot more can go wrong with the chamber shenanigans.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
From Mave Deltzer:

WWE popularity metrics all on the downswing despite record profits, though with minor percentage drops. Spending has been cut back.
World Wrestling Entertainment's second quarter numbers largely exemplified the pattern that the company will continue going forward.

Financially, things look great. The company will set profit records starting with the third quarter and particularly quarter four on top due to the new television deals with USA and FOX.

But product popularity continues to fall, slowly but steadily. Every legitimate measure of popularity is down, network subs, house shows, merchandise, PPV, licensing and television ratings. The only revenue segment up is worldwide rights fees for Raw and Smackdown, which by contract escalate each year. Even television advertising revenue is down.

Some other AEW things...

-looks like AEW on TNT is now expected to do 500,000 to be considered successful/worthy of TV. Their shows will be treated "as live sports events" by TNT
-on AEW: "The reality is that every number to date, whether it be T-shirt sales during the first Hot Topic run, and live attendance for every show, both major and minor, since All In, has made no sense based on wrestling history." LOL
-mainstream interest in AEW isn't there right now (Double or Nothing is the only show that came close with 200,000+ Google searches, beating some WWE events and lower level UFC events)
-basically, nobody knows anything and all predictions are shots in the dark when it comes to AEW right now
-about All Out day 1 ticket sales: "A first day ticket sales number under 6,000 would be another lesson. Anything north of 6,000, which is about what a first day ticket sale for a Raw event would do, but not a sellout, would be good, and north of 9,000 would be great."
-the current AEW/TNT deal is already a multi-year deal
-"Just as important, if not more, is the quality of the show itself. That doesn't mean **** matches, although that would be good. It means the show has to look major league and not have gaffes. While some will jump on minor issues, they won't make a difference. The key is a crowd that looks good on television, and WWE has made 4,000 fans in NBA arenas look fine through clever ticket distribution and shooting, reacts well, star reactions to the stars, good promos before the live audience, good storylines and no embarrassing storylines. It's a balancing act because this is not and can't be a show for the few hundred thousand BTE fans who know all the inside references. This has to be an introduction show. And you can't introduce 30 new characters in one week and have any of them get over. "

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Some other AEW things...

-looks like AEW on TNT is now expected to do 500,000 to be considered successful/worthy of TV. Their shows will be treated "as live sports events" by TNT
-on AEW: "The reality is that every number to date, whether it be T-shirt sales during the first Hot Topic run, and live attendance for every show, both major and minor, since All In, has made no sense based on wrestling history." LOL
-mainstream interest in AEW isn't there right now (Double or Nothing is the only show that came close with 200,000+ Google searches, beating some WWE events and lower level UFC events)
-basically, nobody knows anything and all predictions are shots in the dark when it comes to AEW right now
-about All Out day 1 ticket sales: "A first day ticket sales number under 6,000 would be another lesson. Anything north of 6,000, which is about what a first day ticket sale for a Raw event would do, but not a sellout, would be good, and north of 9,000 would be great."
-"Just as important, if not more, is the quality of the show itself. That doesn't mean **** matches, although that would be good. It means the show has to look major league and not have gaffes. While some will jump on minor issues, they won't make a difference. The key is a crowd that looks good on television, and WWE has made 4,000 fans in NBA arenas look fine through clever ticket distribution and shooting, reacts well, star reactions to the stars, good promos before the live audience, good storylines and no embarrassing storylines. It's a balancing act because this is not and can't be a show for the few hundred thousand BTE fans who know all the inside references. This has to be an introduction show. And you can't introduce 30 new characters in one week and have any of them get over. "

It definitely means no fucking librarians.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I popped for Fandango. Genuine nice surprise.

Also, after his appearance last week, I've realised how much I've missed that son of a bitch Cena.

Last edited:

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
From Mave Deltzer:

WWE popularity metrics all on the downswing despite record profits, though with minor percentage drops. Spending has been cut back.

Some other AEW things...

500k?
Well it's good they don't have insane expectations. I hope they get there.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
about All Out day 1 ticket sales: "A first day ticket sales number under 6,000 would be another lesson. Anything north of 6,000, which is about what a first day ticket sale for a Raw event would do, but not a sellout, would be good, and north of 9,000 would be great."

Slight correction, that wasn't about All Out, it was about the first TV taping

500k?
Well it's good they don't have insane expectations. I hope they get there.

He didn't say that was AEW or TNT's expectations, just general TV media people who are paying attention to the story.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Unrelated. My Windows 10 WWE app stopped working. It was fine just a week ago. I guess the new version killed it.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to look at the ROH roster page and see who is on there I like
I do still

Ok

Alex Shelley was great
Bandido is ok I guess
Brody King I think I liked the one time I saw him
Cabana can be very fun
I always loved Dalton Castle's entrance but never saw him work
I'd watch a Jay Lethal match
Lmao Jay White is still on the roster page
Like Jeff Cobb
Like Gresh
Like Haskins
Like PCO
Rush I've not seen but everyone seemed to love him
Tracy Williams seemed neat the couple EVOLVE shows I watched
Hahahaha Ospreay and Sabre are still there too

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a terrible transmitter of information, clearly.

It's funny because the number that was floating around before was 350,000 a month or two ago. 500,000 makes me anxious, but I might not be giving AEW enough credit.

I think anything above 300k they can work with and try to grow it

Anything above 500k is a really good starting point

Anything 1 million or above is a complete home run

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Btw, peak TNA viewership was around 2 million when they had Hogan and Sting. Wouldn't be fair to expect that any time soon out of AEW.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
Oh wait Lucky Kid/Gresh/Brookes vs Kingston/LAX is on the Natural Progression show, not the Alexandra Palace show? Wierd but OK, I'll happily take Kingston up close

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tracy Williams is the driest, most bland milquetoast "just a fucking guy" wrestler in any major company right now

dude inspires no strong feelings in any direction to almost anyone

if you didn't watch ROH you wouldn't know he exists because he never does anything notable in a positive or negative direction

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I kind of expect somewhere inbetween 300 and 500K. It is super hard to tell though and is hard to predict until we see how TNT promotes it.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of expect somewhere inbetween 300 and 500K. It is super hard to tell though and is hard to predict until we see how TNT promotes it.

They're gonna push it hard, I can guarantee that

Timing is kind of a bummer because AEW starts before the NBA season does, but once that's going they'll benefit from plugs during those broadcasts every week.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I do still

Ok

Alex Shelley was great
Bandido is ok I guess
Brody King I think I liked the one time I saw him
Cabana can be very fun
I always loved Dalton Castle's entrance but never saw him work
I'd watch a Jay Lethal match
Lmao Jay White is still on the roster page
Like Jeff Cobb
Like Gresh
Like Haskins
Like PCO
Rush I've not seen but everyone seemed to love him
Tracy Williams seemed neat the couple EVOLVE shows I watched
Hahahaha Ospreay and Sabre are still there too

I looked at their page a few days ago too and also laughed at some of the names still on there.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Is Ticketmaster only given a certain number of seats they're allowed to sell, or is their info 100% accurate for how many seats are actually left for a show? Just wondering because after scrolling across the All Out seating chart for tickets, looks like there are around 300-something tickets available if this chart is to be believed:

hXeaYHA.png

Most of the top rows say anywhere between 4 and 12 tickets left. But also wonder how many were picked up by scalpers.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Looking at the MSG seating charts for WWE Raw and Smackdown on September 9th and 10th, and going by the "x tickets left" info for each section, looks like there are still about 1,500+ available for Raw, and 1,700+ available for Smackdown. Many sections say "100+ tickets." I just counted those as an even 100.

Raw on September 9th:

Smackdown on September 10th:

Not sure if that's good or bad.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the MSG seating charts for WWE Raw and Smackdown on September 9th and 10th, and going by the "x tickets left" info for each section, looks like there are still about 1,500+ available for Raw, and 1,700+ available for Smackdown. Many sections say "100+ tickets." I just counted those as an even 100.

Raw on September 9th:

Smackdown on September 10th:

Not sure if that's good or bad.

considering part of the reason they booked those was so they could have "sellout" MSG headlines like ROH and NJPW did last year

bad

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
considering part of the reason they booked those was so they could have "sellout" MSG headlines like ROH and NJPW did last year

bad

Do you know if they made the same amount of seats available as those shows, or did ROH and NJPW maybe make fewer seats available for a quicker sellout?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
It's interesting to read and hear reactions to this week's Raw and Smackdown from a variety of different sources. Twitter makes you think they were the best shows ever. And then Pollock and Wai make you feel like they were alright and an improvement in general. And Keller is mostly in line with that.

...but they all mostly agree that the Maria/Mike stuff is outdated and needs to go.

Still, the tide seems to be moving in a positive direction for the WWE. It's just going to take them a long long time to win back the goodwill of lapsed fans.

I watched the final 30 minutes of Raw this week. (the Brock/Seth and Samoan Summit stuff) I thought it was quite good and made the show feel alive and unpredictable. A few months ago, that Samoan Summit would have just been a boring contract signing with a predictable pull-apart brawl. This week, what I saw actually felt interesting and like there were unpredictable moving parts. Basically, raw.

That said, I had zero interest in Smackdown and doubt I'll be tuning into any part of Raw or Smackdown next week.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Oh no another Taven head in the thread.

I've never seen what some people continue to see in Taven. If there was ever a case for "second-rate Shawn Michaels wannabe," he'd be up there before Ziggler for me. I don't know him as a person, but as a character and performer, he's never shown me much to make me care.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
They're gonna push it hard, I can guarantee that

Timing is kind of a bummer because AEW starts before the NBA season does, but once that's going they'll benefit from plugs during those broadcasts every week.

They'll certainly get some ads on TBS's MLB playoff coverage. They pushed that TNT Librarians show constantly a few years ago.

I've never seen what some people continue to see in Taven. If there was ever a case for "second-rate Shawn Michaels wannabe," he'd be up there before Ziggler for me. I don't know him as a person, but as a character and performer, he's never shown me much to make me care.
Sorry to slander you friend and beware some people will try to tell you CMLL Taven is good, don't listen to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.