Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and again you can buy 24 fl. oz of Aunt Jemima for $3.50 or this product at $18 for 32 fl oz.
Your observation is as utterly missing the point as, "Why would you ever buy a lunch from a local Chinese restaurant and pay $8 when you can go to Fancy Ass Restaurant and pay $200 a plate? The food is so much better!"

It's more like why bother though? There's plenty of things you simply don't make without the right condiment. You don't make spaghetti when all you have is ketchup.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
About time. Shit should've been done a long time ago.

Uncle Ben's & Mrs. Butterworths needs to be next.
www.cnn.com

Uncle Ben's and Mrs. Butterworth's follow Aunt Jemima phasing out racial stereotypes in logos

Uncle Ben's owner Mars is planning to change the rice maker's "brand identity" — one of several food companies planning to overhaul logos and packaging that have long been criticized for perpetuating harmful racial stereotypes.

Oct 27, 2017
It's more like why bother though? There's plenty of things you simply don't make without the right condiment. You don't make spaghetti when all you have is ketchup.
Because it's good enough. This is like saying, "Well gee, why would you buy a Toyota instead of a Ferrari? Why not just don't drive if you don't have the better car?"
Do you think we were all set up with a trust fund where we can buy the best of everything or if not just do without some cheaper alternative?
I'll tell you why people bother. It's because they want to have a pancake or serve some to their kids but they can't afford or justify spending $18 or more on a bottle of pure maple syrup. This is not a hard concept to grasp.

Last edited:

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
I had no idea of the history, mostly because I never thought of looking it up. Damn, we buy the pancake mix and syrup.

Hopefully they change it to something good.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
www.cnn.com

Uncle Ben's and Mrs. Butterworth's follow Aunt Jemima phasing out racial stereotypes in logos

Uncle Ben's owner Mars is planning to change the rice maker's "brand identity" — one of several food companies planning to overhaul logos and packaging that have long been criticized for perpetuating harmful racial stereotypes.

Yeah, Uncle Ben's needed to change for a while. Even if the history says it was never meant to be a stereotype, it just is way too easy to be seen as exactly that.

At least for Mars, removing the stereotypical bits shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It is a good time for them to do it as well since grocery stores are pretty empty of Aunt Jemima product right now anyway with the pandemic. Stock back up with the rebrand.

All it took was a dumb fucking pig killing yet another black man in cold blood for America to be froced to address it's treatment and depiciton of black people aross the board. Racists should be super mad at these cops right?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea Mrs. Butterworth was modeled after a black actress from Gone With the Wind wtf

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Real talk, I had no idea Mrs. Buttersworth was supposed to be black.

I've always imagined her as a little house on the prairie white woman.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
Man, I kind of had thoughts about Aunt Jemima not being right when I was a kid but they changed her look and I kind of just went with it because I was young. WTF after reading the history. And I swear Mrs. Butterworth was a white granny when I was a kid. Burn it all down!

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Mrs Butterworth's and Uncle Ben's are now being targeted. Say your goodbyes.

nypost.com

After Aunt Jemima, people call to cancel Uncle Ben’s and Mrs. Butterworth’s

Social media is calling for brands to be re-evaluated due to “racist stereotype” origins.
I think they can revamp those two. Just update the iconography and make them look more modern, and they could probably maintain those two specific brands. Especially if they frame Mrs Butterworth as a grandma with a revamp.

I stopped caring about all of these brands though once I found out that both Walmart and Smiths (Kroger) both sell real maple syrup in glass bottles for relatively cheap prices.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
www.cnn.com

finally Spidey. We did it. We did it.
z8WTnNY.gif

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The more I think about this the angrier I get about other mascots as well. The Washington Redskins is literally a racial slur. Literally. The Notre Dame "fighting Irish" is some drunk Irish guy squaring up to brawl.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

Is this a serious post? Or am I missing sarcasm? You're really comparing syrup to ketchup on spaghetti? You realize tons of people use cheap shitty canned tomato sauce on pasta as well instead of a fancy fresh made sauce every night right?

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Costco syrup is solid and cheapish. You get a quart for like $12. I don't know what size syrup you're getting for $4 but it's probably small or you're in Vermont.
Or they buying fake maple syrup which is more than likely. Almost as bad as all the fake Extra Virgin Olive Oil but without the Mafia involvement.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
So this post has been making rounds around Facebook among some of my friends:

what part is so hard to understand? What part of racist stereotype Don't they understand?

edit: *pretends to be shocked moment* post was made by a white person, and every single share, is a white person

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It's like $2 for a box of pancake mix. People know the syrup that's $1 isn't the world's finest and are cool with that.

And many many people use ketchup to make spaghetti. Hyper-low-income recipes are a thing.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It's happening have some people i know blaming liberals for it. it's like uhh ok fuck off already.
I overheard someone at work complaining about it yesterday.

what part is so hard to understand? What part of racist stereotype Don't they understand?

edit: *pretends to be shocked moment* post was made by a white person, and every single share, is a white person

Send them this:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Old school Aunt Jemima on the right of that article gets a yikes from me but I'm fond of modern day Aunt Jemima.

Oh well, I'll live but I would hope they try to just offer a different black persona as the face of their brand.

That's really cool.

Would everyone be okay with renaming it as Nancy's?

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

LOL - I'm pretty sure the person in that picture is in blackface. Wow.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017

God dam I literally came hear to post this. All the racist white people are sharing this

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017

It may be the picture quality but that really looks like a white person in blackface
edit - like theOMan said

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
It may be the picture quality but that really looks like a white person in blackface
edit - like theOMan said
Yep, it's a white woman in black face...

https://www.truthorfiction.com/is-o...-green-being-erased-by-political-correctness/

"For all the lamenting of Pepsico's purported erasure of Nancy Green, those sharing the post couldn't even be bothered to notice they shared a modern photograph of a white woman — in a photographic commentary about racism in branding — in Green's stead."

and...

"Finally, the widely-shared image accompanying the post was of a modern photographer's satirization of a smiling, chained Aunt Jemima."

Oct 27, 2017

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/aunt-jemima-millionaire/
The actual story of the woman who played the part of the first Aunt Jemima. She wasn't "extremely well paid" and continued working as a cook and housekeeper until her death when she was hit by a car.
Not that any of the morons will be dissuaded from their made-up history of her. I'm related to one of these idiots and they're always like "Snopes is fake news! The owners of that website are crazy liberals!"

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
"What on flat earth!" fucking killed me lmao

LMAO that was good. so was the covid 19 cough at the end. The sad thing is that I'm sure some folks are taking this video seriously, and not as the satire it is.

"With great power, comes moderately priced, medicore rice, Peter. Remember that."

It's about damn time they ditched the Aunt Jemima character. Even when I was a little boy in the 80's, I never liked the character, and knew she was a racist stereotype. This country has always been A-Ok with racist stereotypes in their products and sports mascots, then want to feign outrage when it's called out. I may be misremembering, but I don't think this is the first time complaints about Aunt Jemima have been brought up. But it was a lot easier gaslight black people into second guessing their discomfort and irritation at the perpetuation of racist stereotypes back then.

Last edited:
Now "Pearl Milling Company"

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aunt_Jemima_rebrand-packaging-3x2b.jpg

www.cnn.com

Aunt Jemima finally has a new name

Quaker Oats is releasing a new name and logo for its "Aunt Jemima" products, finally retiring the racist stereotype that has adorned its pancake mixes and syrups for decades.

The new brand is scheduled to launch in June, one year after the company announced the change. Aunt Jemima was one of several food brands — including Uncle Ben's, Cream of Wheat and Mrs. Butterworth's — to announce redesigns as protests against systemic racism erupted across the United States this summer.

The story behind 'Pearl Milling Company'
The Pearl Milling Company was the late-19th-century business that created the original ready-made pancake mix, according to PepsiCo. It was founded in 1888 by Chris L. Rutt.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
I guess the added the word company to keep it from sounding like a name.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The Pearl Milling Company was the late-19th-century business that created the original ready-made pancake mix, according to PepsiCo. It was founded in 1888 by Chris L. Rutt.
I mean from a branding standpoint it keeps an association while removing questionable aspects. I'm sure marketing will remove confusion quickly

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like a local sawmill company in the backshoots of Oregon. They could have made it like "J's Pancakes" or something.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
That's...a terrible name. Not catchy and doesn't roll off the tongue either.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Aunt Pearl's.

Surely the term "Aunt" is not offensive if it isn't based on an actual person or a stereotypical caricature of a person, right?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck wow, Pearl Milling had been so reliant on Aunt Jemima for so long they just...STRAIGHT UP FORGOT how to market themselves huh.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
I think they're trying to hard to retain the "Old South" charm without being outright racist. Aunt Jemima herself could've have been the basis for a mascot without being problematic. Though I will admit that would've been tough given the history.