• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
And seriously go fuck yourself telling me I'm fine with pregnant women being bullied when the entire time I've spoken about the issue it's been about Barnaby and saying that the focus on the affair itself was off base.

Maybe you'd have a chip on your shoulder against people that told you that actually the 120 million dollar taxpayer funded public debate about your humanity was a good thing too if you had to go through it, you sanctimonious shit.
So, I'd love to hear how you think the paternity of the baby is in any way in the public interest and why you think it should be reported?

Oct 27, 2017
seems like such a weird cause to fight for. but whatever does it for you mate.

personally, i feel like barnaby is a homophobic cunt and i'm ok with seeing him and his mistress/mediaadvisor getting a little bit of embarrassment. he is corrupt and she was complicit in that too. they will both survive like the cockroaches they are. let us plebs have our fun.

Oct 27, 2017
and i'll just say. this dumb cunt just needs to shut his mouth. the paternity was a nonstory until HE brought it up. dude is so used to playing the victim.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
seems like such a weird cause to fight for. but whatever does it for you mate.

personally, i feel like barnaby is a homophobic cunt and i'm ok with seeing him and his mistress/mediaadvisor getting a little bit of embarrassment. he is corrupt and she was complicit in that too. they will both survive like the cockroaches they are. let us plebs have our fun.
I don't give a shit about Barnaby. He made his bed and he will have to lie in it.

I do have a problem with the media's role in this and you should take the time to read the Peter Hartcher article I posted earlier to get a better understanding about why I dislike this whole situation and the media's behaviour.

and i'll just say. this dumb cunt just needs to shut his mouth. the paternity was a nonstory until HE brought it up. dude is so used to playing the victim.

But it wasn't because he received a bunch of questions from the media about the topic in the days leading up to that interview.

Oct 27, 2017
hey good for you. you read an editorial and agreed with it. doesnt mean you have to come in so hot with the ad hominems and emotive language. calling people disgraceful and disgusting. implying that people love bullying pregnant women.

you need to go outside and go for a walk. maybe consider that you're off base on this one.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So, I'd love to hear how you think the paternity of the baby is in any way in the public interest and why you think it should be reported?

And I'd love to hear you say something about Barnaby living rent free in a donor's house for six months, or how that donor's house received permanent upgrades paid for by the taxpayer because Joyce was living there at the time, but you seem keen to talk around those parts of the story.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
And I'd love to hear you say something about Barnaby living rent free in a donor's house for six months, or how that donor's house received permanent upgrades paid for by the taxpayer because Joyce was living there at the time, but you seem keen to talk around those parts of the story.
Did his living arrangement break any parliamentary rules? If it did, then he should be investigated and face the relevant punishment. My opinion hasn't changed on this. If the arrangement didn't break any rules, then what's the problem?

As far as permanent upgrades to the house, this is the first I've heard of it so please feel free to link to a story if there is one out there.

Now, just for the record, do you think there was any justification for the media going after Barnaby about the paternity of the child?

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
It's hard to know, as Deputy PM he does need a little extra protection so I have no issue with that. Now, did the upgrades increase the value of the apartment? Will they be removed once he goes somewhere else? Not much to this part of the sorry tale, a bit of a storm in a teacup really.

Claiming living away from home allowances while at his pregnant non-partners place, yes. Knowing he is going to face a by-election where he and the National Party will have to foot the advertising bill so spending vast amounts of his office allowance on new material just before getting chucked, yes. Moving his totally not a partner around between offices at a greatly inflated salary where there wasn't even a job opening, yes. Drunkenly Touching up every woman he runs into, yes.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The lead is holding strong, but the preferred PM is an even bigger deal. What little of Turnbull's luster is gradually wearing off. If he drops below Shorten, he's in deep shit.

That being said, there's also nobody else other than Bishop popular or competent enough to replace him, and there's no way the sexist scumbags in the Libs will permit her to be leader, so it's a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation for them.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Bishop is also getting damaged by this partner travel expense thing.

Problem is people don't like the party or the policies. New leader won't fix that.

tri_willy

Oct 28, 2017

Did his living arrangement break any parliamentary rules? If it did, then he should be investigated and face the relevant punishment. My opinion hasn't changed on this. If the arrangement didn't break any rules, then what's the problem?

As far as permanent upgrades to the house, this is the first I've heard of it so please feel free to link to a story if there is one out there.

Now, just for the record, do you think there was any justification for the media going after Barnaby about the paternity of the child?

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2018/02/12/barnaby-joyce-housing-hypocrisy-accusation/

Cant find a link, but it is alleged that the security upgrade occurred when he was disqualified as an MP so yea there would be some contention

$3 million security upgrade paid for by the taxpayer, US!

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...ns-are-nobody-s-business-20180305-p4z2v1.html

Barnaby Joyce says baby questions are 'nobody's business'

pohm0s4VmBPYO-hiQV0A6TA3TH8e4mFQx2IqWRKC6u7LKrx9OGs3_jmMhY-ANdMSvoCBCqDKHyZZrzoY1De8vBmFMsTxzRrgKE6PdIjQgjg=w200-h235-nc

30yearsofhurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile, remember when the proposal to let NSW and Victoria have more water from the Murray-Darling was voted down, the NSW government threatened to pull out of the agreement?

Except WaterNSW has done absolutely nothing to combat illegal water pumping by irrigators, and has only now prosecuted the ones exposed in that Four Corners episode now that their shit has been exposed. A spectacular egg on the face of the state Libs, with Labor smugly (but rightfully) saying they did the right thing by voting down the water changes, and handing ammunition to state Labor to shoot at the already embattled state government.

Nov 14, 2017
Meanwhile, remember when the proposal to let NSW and Victoria have more water from the Murray-Darling was voted down, the NSW government threatened to pull out of the agreement?

Except WaterNSW has done absolutely nothing to combat illegal water pumping by irrigators, and has only now prosecuted the ones exposed in that Four Corners episode now that their shit has been exposed. A spectacular egg on the face of the state Libs, with Labor smugly (but rightfully) saying they did the right thing by voting down the water changes, and handing ammunition to state Labor to shoot at the already embattled state government.
If you've ever listened to the Country Hour on ABC radio you can imagine some of the reasoning being used to justify this. "NSW needs more water because irrigators are already doing everything they can to comply." "Weren't they illegally stealing heaps of water?" "That just shows much they need it!"

Also on the topic of the NSW Government's environmental policies:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-...clearing-law-quashed-in-court-invalid/9531640
NSW Government's land-clearing law quashed in court, deemed invalid
In a breakthrough victory, the Land and Environment court today ruled the NSW Government's land-clearing laws were made unlawfully, and were therefore invalid.

The Nature Conservation Council fought the legislation made by the Berejiklian Government, which had permitted private landholders to carry out large-scale clearing of native vegetation without prior approval or environmental assessment.

CEO Kate Smolski said the government "bungled" the introduction of Native Vegetation Code 2017, claiming the process "demonstrates its careless disregard for nature in NSW".

Given they can't even make their own legislation properly, maybe the bungling of the water thefts issue was just an honest mistake.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
speakes volumes on how shit the nsw libs are when a complete nothing like foley can get labor on an even level

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The beginning of the end was Baird backing down on the Greyhound ban. Up until then they were very popular.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Yeah Baird's backdown on greyhounds was a pretty good reminder to everyone how beholden the NSW LNP were to special interests. The gaming hotel lobby in NSW is HUGE.

NSW has the second most slot machines in the world behind Nevada, and even at the Federal level my MP in inner Sydney Craig Laundy is from a prominent hoteller family.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The complete banning of greyhound racing was ridiculous to begin with. No matter what sins the industry is guilty of, you can't just go and ban it like that without any consideration of the effects.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of greyhound OR horse racing, but when that was announced, it sounded like one of the worst political knee-jerk reactions of all time.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The fact that there is a whole industry built around the sport. As I said, the whole racing industry is not for me, but you can't just go and ban a whole industry with no consultation and no attempt to transition those heavily invested in it into something else.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
I kind of agree, they first should have place onerous restrictions on the industry with a warning that this was their last chance. Full dog life tracking, lifetime bans for misbehaviour, a strict inspection schedule paid for by competitors etc... Hopefully that would have weeded out the bad ones.

Now Jumps racing, fuck them, ban it all.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Now Jumps racing, fuck them, ban it all.

Yep, this.

I can understand horse and greyhound racing. Horses and greyhounds are built for running and it is a beautiful spectacle to see either animal in full flight.

However, horses don't want to run at full speed and then have to jump a fucking hedge. It's not natural and they are simply not built for the task.

Jumps racing is purely a spectacle of man's dominance over an animal. Basically, "I can force my horse to do unnatural shit better than you!" There's no teamwork, there's no willingness from the animal and it's not replicating anything that the animal would do in its natural habitat.

Plus, it's not like there aren't other options for people involved in the sport. If you want to jump, do show jumping, if you want to race, go racing.

Ban that shit.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Jumps racing as a thing totally made sense to me when I played Empire Total War and watched all the cavalry vault over fences and walls. Suddenly you realise European aristocracy probably prized warhorses that could vault for Millenia.

Which is to say yeah fuck that noise.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
SA state election next weekend. It's likely my last time voting in Florey and I'm looking forward to guy Labor sent out to die in place of Snelling getting rightfully fucked.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Andy has got himself in a bit of trouble in Canberra.

I understand the sentiment, the Canberra Times local political reporting is dire, but he could have used a little more tact.
As someone who works in communications, I find it hard to believe that any government would be brave enough to embrace the kind of paradigm shift in communication that he's talking about.

Plus, if he hates the filter that the mainstream media puts on his messages, just wait until he gets a load of the kind of filters that people on social media with real extreme agendas will inevitably put on his carefully constructed spin.

Nov 14, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...tralian-plan-to-fast-track-white-farmer-visas
Gareth Newham at the Institute for Security Studies, one of South Africa's leading authorities on crime statistics, said there was no evidence to support the notion that white farmers were targeted more than anyone else in the country.
Fact-checking organisation Africa Check, in a detailed report on the subject of farm murders in general – not just of white farmers – suggested that another credible estimate of the farm murder rate could be as low as 0.4 murders per 100,000 people. But it too concluded that an accurate figure is "near impossible" to determine.
Last month, South Africa's parliament passed a motion to begin the process of amending South Africa's constitution to allow for the expropriation of land without compensation. If followed through, this motion is likely to disproportionately affect white farmers, given that this group enjoys a disproportionately large share of land ownership. But no farms have yet been seized, nor is there any immediate plan by the government to do so.

"The people we're talking about want to work hard, they want to contribute to a country like Australia," Dutton said.

"We want people who want to come here, abide by our laws, integrate into our society, work hard, not lead a life on welfare. And I think these people deserve special attention and we're certainly applying that special attention now."

But but economic migrants aren't real asylum seekers

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Reason #13257689653 that Dutton is a cunt.

The government and the country would be better off if we deported him to Manus Island.

Yes, we should be helping these people, just like we should be helping all people who are being forced off their land and who are threatened with violence, murder and genocide. What Peter fucking Dutton doesn't understand is that the colour of someone's skin and their perceived "worth" to the country shouldn't make a difference to who we decide to help.

Nov 14, 2017
Reason #13257689653 that Dutton is a cunt.

The government and the country would be better off if we deported him to Manus Island.

Yes, we should be helping these people, just like we should be helping all people who are being forced off their land and who are threatened with violence, murder and genocide. What Peter fucking Dutton doesn't understand is that the colour of someone's skin and their perceived "worth" to the country shouldn't make a difference to who we decide to help.
Why should we be helping these people? Their status as refugees is far from certain.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Why should we be helping these people? Their status as refugees is far from certain.
Because a refugee is:

"A person who has been forced to flee their country in order to escape war, persecution or violence. A refugee has a well-founded fear of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership of a particular social group."

Taking someone's land with no compensation and threatening violence based on someone's skin colour is a textbook definition of someone with "a well-founded fear of persecution for reason of race".

Nov 14, 2017
Because a refugee is:

"A person who has been forced to flee their country in order to escape war, persecution or violence. A refugee has a well-founded fear of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership of a particular social group."

Taking someone's land with no compensation and threatening violence based on someone's skin colour is a textbook definition of someone with "a well-founded fear of persecution for reason of race".
But is the fear well founded if the rates of violence are not actually significantly different from those of the general population? If the expropriation of land without recompense is valid grounds for asylum, then all black South Africans should be granted refugee status.
South Africa has criticised Australian home affairs minister Peter Dutton's offer to fast-track the visas of its white African farmers, saying his comments on the supposed threat to their lives and land were "sad" and "regrettable".

A spokesperson for international relations minister Lindiwe Sisulu, said: "There is no need to fear … we want to say to the world that we are engaged in a process of land redistribution which is very important to address the imbalances of the past. But it is going to be done legally, and with due consideration of the economic impact and impact on individuals."
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada...osted-case-with-white-supremacist-information
A white family from South Africa has had their refugee claim for asylum in Canada rejected, having been accused of submitting "white-supremacist hate literature" to bolster their claims of violence by the black majority in their homeland.
The Immigration and Refugee Board denied them refugee protection, saying there was no reliable evidence they were attacked due to their race, and it was more probable they were attacked for economic reasons — to steal their possessions.
Defending the IRB's decision, the government argued concerns for the children were based on "patently unreliable racist propaganda."

A government lawyer said the fear of white children being raped by blacks was highly offensive as the information the family relied on was "white-supremacist hate literature" that should be ignored.

The government also said the Endres' claim was based on a risk of generalized crime in South Africa, meaning that it could impact almost anyone, not only those who are white or Afrikaners.
Refugee status is not meant to protect people who face problems the general population of a country faces, but only fears of persecution specific to race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion.

The international refugee system is not meant to offer a safe haven for all suffering people, the IRB's published guidelines say.

In deciding the appeal, Justice René LeBlanc, said the refugee claim offered no evidence the state of South Africa is incapable of offering protection for their children from rape or murder.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
But is the fear well founded if the rates of violence are not actually significantly different from those of the general population? If the expropriation of land without recompense is valid grounds for asylum, then all black South Africans should be granted refugee status.
The definition is quite clear in that it only requires a well-founded fear of persecution. When you have elected politicians promoting violence against white landowners, then I'd say that's a well-founded fear.

Anyway, this is not the place to discuss this as there is already a thread on it. All I'm saying is that Dutton should remember what the definition of a refugee is and apply it fairly to ALL asylum seekers. Even the ones that he doesn't like.

Nov 14, 2017
The definition is quite clear in that it only requires a well-founded fear of persecution. When you have elected politicians promoting violence against white landowners, then I'd say that's a well-founded fear.

Anyway, this is not the place to discuss this as there is already a thread on it. All I'm saying is that Dutton should remember what the definition of a refugee is and apply it fairly to ALL asylum seekers. Even the ones that he doesn't like.
I can't see the other thread, but I don't see how this isn't relevant to this one. I just posted that my argument was that the fear is arguably not well founded, and posted an example where Canada's immigration system found the same, so I'm not sure why you're clarifying that. I'm far from an expert on "farm attacks" but I am aware that a) it's been an ongoing issue for decades b) the rates of such attacks are generally in line with crime in SA in general and there isn't compelling evidence that they represent organised persecution and c) the narrative surrounding them is frequently sensationalised by far right groups. I think that even if you're arguing that they should receive the same treatment as other legitimate refugees you are uncritically accepting said narrative, which supports arguments like Dutton's indirectly. By all means they should be allowed to seek asylum, but given our current system/climate, having anything other than skepticism of their refugee status as a default position represents favourable treatment.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
https://www.resetera.com/threads/au...-visas-for-white-south-african-farmers.29474/

Here you go. Started by Noroi_Kisaragi from this thread.

As far as being an expert on farm attacks goes, I'm not one either, but from what I've read, the data is unreliable and apparently it's impossible to tell if there is greater levels of violence against white farmers or not.

As far as having scepticism of any possible refugee claims, the default position that we should have is to always accept someone until it can be proven they are not genuine refugees. To not do so may endanger their lives.