Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
www.abc.net.au

Woman drives ute with red-bellied black snake onboard after four failed attempts to remove it

Lisa Kournelis says she was shocked when she first saw the slithery stowaway last month and was forced to wear protective gear to stay safe while driving.

A Newcastle woman has opted to wear protective gear while driving after four failed attempts to remove a venomous red-bellied black snake from inside her car.

Lisa Kournelis said she was shocked when she first saw the slithery stowaway last month.

"Yeah, I was putting a box in my car and it was sitting on the back seat," she said.

"I believe it was in there for a good three weeks before that because I was finding snake poo everywhere."
Aussies are different breed

71652fdae451169bb732215a302d332d

Mar 11, 2020
What is failed to remove? I looked at the article and i feel like these details should be mentioned? Did they actually pull it out and it went back in somehow or they just can't find it every time they try? I don't get how you fail to remove lol

Said she got snake handlers but i'm kinda fishy at this whole story tbh

thillygooth

AVALANCHE
Jan 5, 2023
Better that than a pregnant Huntsman spider.

Or maybe it's not. I don't know the temperament of red bellied black snakes, or if they're venomous. I just know I can't fuck with spiders.

Now I'm thinking about spiders. FUCK.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017

Or maybe it's not. I don't know the temperament of red bellied black snakes, or if they're venomous. I just know I can't fuck with spiders.

You want to be head to toe in huntsmen before fucking with the vast majority of snakes here

Oct 25, 2017
The prevailing logic locally is to think of the safety of the animal too.

It being confined to that space for that long borders on cruelty.

Snake catchers here tell you over the phone "yeah that picture shows me it's not venomous" and then either tell you to basically leave it alone or if pressurrd (ie you have children or pets) they'll visit and transfer it into a similar environment.

Hardly worth taking it to a facility like it's needing to be studied.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This entire story is wild. She's had a venomous snake in her car for WEEKS and multiple snake catchers couldn't get the snake out.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

You want to be head to toe in huntsmen before fucking with the vast majority of snakes here
I did the googles, while it has some nasty venom, no one has recorded died from one. It accounts for 16% of all snake bites every year

thillygooth

AVALANCHE
Jan 5, 2023
I did the googles, while it has some nasty venom, no one has recorded died from one. It accounts for 16% of all snake bites every year

Well there you go. I'm assuming as a local the lady had that knowledge and decided to risk it based off of that. I hope she took the time to google via her phone before hopping in the car.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
They're very docile from what I understand, and there are no recorded deaths attributed to them. She was probably safe.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Symptoms for the black snake bite: bleeding and/or swelling at the bite site, nausea, vomiting, headache, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, sweating, local or general muscle pain and weakness, and red-brown urine, maybe a dead dog

Huntsmen: just big tickly bois

That said, yes, there are surprisingly few deaths from spiders and snakes in Australia. Primarily due to a combination of education and access to antivenom

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Symptoms for the black snake bite: bleeding and/or swelling at the bite site, nausea, vomiting, headache, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, sweating, local or general muscle pain and weakness, and red-brown urine, maybe a dead dog
i swear i seen the same side effects listed on a commercial for a allergy pill

Nov 4, 2017
We had one of those in our yard recently. They are venomous, but not particularly aggressive nor deadly. I still wouldn't want to corner one or piss it off. I'd rather have a red belly in my yard than an eastern brown or coastal taipan. They're absolutely stunning to look at in real life too, some of them look impossibly black, as if no light is escaping the surface.

I think a big part of living in Australia is just accepting that you're never more than a few hundred metres away from a snake. Fortunately, the snakes want nothing to do with us and are mostly good at evading us.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017

They're venomous but they aren't aggressive. They can/will bite, but you generally have to be perceived as threat to them (i.e. grabbing at them when they're just chilling in your car).

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

That's typically the case with spiders and snakes in Australia, they're very rarely fatal and in the case of spiders practically non existent. Id still be freaking out because of the potential pain, and maybe some hardwired nope factor. Americans idea of Australia being a hellish fight for survival will never not be funny though.

Last edited:

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I got a job offer to move to Sydney 15 years ago. I'm glad I didn't take it. I'm deathly afraid of snakes

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017

Why did you make this post? Now I am thinking about them too.

In addition to that monstrous snake

FUCK

šŸ˜­