• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil director and Hi-Fi Rush producer Shinji Mikami recently commented on his departure from Tango Gameworks and the establishment of his new company Kamuy. Mikami founded Tango Gameworks in 2010 and left it last year, after having been involved in the development of titles such as The Evil Within, Ghostwire: Tokyo and Hi-Fi Rush.

The influential creator recently made a guest appearance on a talk show hosted by Byking, during which he was asked about what led him to leave Tango Gameworks. Mikami responded by clarifying his status within his former company, commenting, "I had only been CEO for 6 months. I think a lot of people were under the impression that I was the representative, but I was very close to a rank-and-file employee. I had "___ producer" attached to my name, but I wasn't an executive or anything of the sort."

The same year it was founded, Tango Gameworks encountered financial difficulties and was acquired by ZeniMax Media. This acquisition changed the status of the company, as Mikami comments, "Tango Gameworks is not the name of a company, it's the name of a department. The name of the company is ZeniMax Asia K.K." The creator had apparently gone through negotiations to keep the name "Tango Gameworks" and ultimately received permission to preserve it in the form of a brand.

Mikami further reveals that he had planned to leave Tango Gameworks for 8 years before finally doing so, but that the responsibility he felt towards ongoing projects prolonged his stay. As his main motivations for leaving, he mentions wanting to create an environment that would allow young game creators to have more frequent opportunities to gain experience, i.e. an environment with shorter cycles between new projects. At the same time, he felt that there was an audience out there for unique, smaller-scale video games, which led him to see an opportunity to link these two factors.

The second reason Mikami mentions is his personal wish to break free from the survival horror game genre that he has come to be associated with. As existing companies have established styles and workflows, he decided to set up a company from zero to accomplish everything he's set out to do. This is how the new company Kamuy came to be established.

automaton-media.com

Resident Evil director Shinji Mikami explains why he left Tango Gameworks and founded Kamuy - AUTOMATON WEST

Resident Evil director Shinji Mikami recently commented on his departure from Tango Gameworks and the establishment of his new company Kamuy.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
>The second reason Mikami mentions is his personal wish to break free from the survival horror game

people aint gonna be happy bout this. fuck those people tho. too many creators are stuck trying to make the same shit again cause there fans or the market/buisness forces

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
>The second reason Mikami mentions is his personal wish to break free from the survival horror game

people aint gonna be happy bout this. fuck those people tho. too many creators are stuck trying to make the same shit again cause there fans or the market/buisness forces
The same could be said about Kojima but he's coming back to stealth for perhaps the final time. It sucks as a creator to be forced to be stuck to one particular genre due to a segment of fans.

Bizkit Krueger

Powered by Friendship™
Sep 8, 2022
I'm here for whatever kamuy and mikami do

man has an incredible track record both as director and when it comes to fostering new talent

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder what kind of game will he do next if he don't want to be associated with survival horror anymore. Hope it's a smaller scale project that will be able to put his studio on the map!

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I can't imagine how creatively and emotionally limiting it is to work on the same thing for four, five, six years without seeing it in player's hands. That desire to make smaller projects with quicker turnarounds that really rely on creativity to make those projects work must be extremely enticing for lots of developers beyond Mikami. I do think there's an opportunity for major publishers to embrace this and build these projects into studio schedules and people development, particularly with recent critical successes with the likes of Pentiment or Hi-Fi Rush.

AmAsuT

"This guy are sick"
Jan 24, 2021

The thing I don't get is Tango's last two games weren't Survival Horrors so there definitely was an opportunity for him to make something else. I guess maybe he felt something like Kojima Productions; with his name at the top, would help more with this image change.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022

This, this this
Let him do what he wants, it will mean a better product.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Acquisitions suck. Doesn't stop you from making a good piece of media. People only seem to do them out of survival. The financial security can help you focus on creating.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Acquisitions suck. Doesn't stop you from making a good piece of media. People only seem to do them out of survival. The financial security can help you focus on creating.

Getting acquired is the only source of survival for dozen of studios in today's market, we can all agree on acquisitions being bad but you are either getting acquired or you'll die.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

Given that God Hand and Vanquish are two of my personal favorites from him, I look forward to seeing him get to make more of what he wants to make.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

This is why I was happy FromSoft took a break from Souls type games at least once to make AC6.

I hope Naughty Dog's next IP is a sharp turn away from the seriousness and violence of their latest titles.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes Mikami, please make a game like God Hand again. You can leave survival horror behind, I don't mind.

Jul 24, 2018
There are still so few survival horror games and I imagine that's the reason so many fans want Mikami to make a new one. Resident Evil is generally the only one out there still going.

At the same time when creators get to work on a thing they are passionate about usually means we'll get a better game out of it. Mikami was very enthusiastic about God Hand and really wanted to see it ported and I hope he can make something like that again.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember him saying years ago that he doesn't want to be the survival horror guy but ended up making evil within anyways, probably the only way to get the publisher to agree

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
When famous devs leave their studios people on social media and forums often go "I'm sure there is some secret drama behind the scenes/ he must have gotten fired/ he must be fighting with the publisher" but oftentimes like in this case it can just be a case of wanting to do something new/different or getting a cool offer they can't pass out on.

Plague-Doctor

Oct 23, 2023
I remember him saying years ago that he doesn't want to be the survival horror guy but ended up making evil within anyways, probably the only way to get the publisher to agree

Kojima said he was done with Metal Gear like 5 times. Must be enormous external pressure when you basically create your own genre and it takes off. Pretty sure Miyazaki said something along the lines of being tired of making souls games too.

Either way Mikami is one of the creatives in the industry who will get my money whenever his next game is ready

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Every reason he mentions for founding, staying and then leaving Tango sounds absolutely legit, thoughtful, professional and yet like he still has the drive to be creative and create opportunities for young developers.

Or as the kids would say, based. Probably. Ok, I'm old.

Oct 27, 2017

This. Kojima broke free from the Metal Gear bagage and went to create Death Stranding with his studio which is one of the best (if not polarizing) game ever made. I'm ready for whatever Mikami wants to do next.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I love Mikami's work in horror above his other work, and even I want this for him.

Let creatives pursue what they're passionate about *currently*. Don't leash them to what they were successful at in the past.