• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
It is. But the fact it's the 458 platform is a problem. McLaren and Lamborghini have newer platforms.

If I were in the market it would take a lot of convincing for me to buy a Tributo over a 720S or Performante.
The 720S Spider is so much fun and, even though I still love our 650S Spider, it'll be a worthy upgrade when we chop ours in for the 720S Spider as it feels like a different car. The 458 was fun, but McLaren are ahead of the game and it would take a revolution for me to choose a prancing horse over a Mac now.

I still prefer the 650's front end over the 720's though I'm sure those lights will grow on me. :/

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 720S Spider is so much fun and, even though I still love our 650S Spider, it'll be a worthy upgrade when we chop ours in for the 720S Spider as it feels like a different car. The 458 was fun, but McLaren are ahead of the game and it would take a revolution for me to choose a prancing horse over a Mac now.

I still prefer the 650's front end over the 720's though I'm sure those lights will grow on me. :/

A friend recently traded his 570S for a 720S. I'm hoping to get a crack at comparing it to the 600LT, because a different friend is getting one of those on loan for a day.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, some of you guys drive cars I could only dream of. I just picked up a 2014 335i a few weeks ago.

Here's my baby on the first drive we had together. <3

DdIB266.jpg

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
but McLaren are ahead of the game and it would take a revolution for me to choose a prancing horse over a Mac now.

Give em a year.

This car will compete with the Mclaren on numbers and probably real world performance (it won't lose as badly as the Ferrari does in those 720 vs 488 drag races you see) but it's stop gap. Next year we'll see the reveal of the 488 successor as well as their hybrid super car AND their LaFerrari replacement.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Give em a year.

This car will compete with the Mclaren on numbers and probably real world performance (it won't lose as badly as the Ferrari does in those 720 vs 488 drag races you see) but it's stop gap. Next year we'll see the reveal of the 488 successor as well as their hybrid super car AND their LaFerrari replacement.

Think about what mcl can do a year, though. They're not just going to wait for ferrari to catch up, they're going to keep improving as well. They'll probably slot the 7xxLT right below the senna and that will be a bargain(lol) compared to the million dollar cars.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Eh. Car companies have different release schedules. Someone is always gonna get stuck holding the bag of "We're slightly out of date and slightly slower".

The Pista was already toe to toe with the 720s, so it's not like there's a huge gulf between the two marques.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
720s in dark blue is stunning, I would take that over any rival car on the market at the moment. It would take about 8 years wages to afford one of course...

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I would also choose mclaren right now over ferrari - but only in my dreams lol

my next upgrade would be a nice P car in a year or so.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Pininfarina have revealed the 2020 Battista and it's.. like a McLaren and a Ferrari got mashed together, and is essentially a RiMac Two underneath (same 1900HP EV base; ~45% similar parts underneath)?

pininfarina-battista-1.jpg

pininfarina-battista-1.jpg

At least the rear 3/4 view is stunning. Even though I'm a bit underwhelmed, I think I'd still rather Pininfarina be penning Ferraris again instead of their in-house design which has floundered since they deaded the partnership.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for debadging? I stupidly didn't ask for it to be removed when I bought it, and nobody needs to know I'm driving a diesel...

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Any tips for debadging? I stupidly didn't ask for it to be removed when I bought it, and nobody needs to know I'm driving a diesel...
Heat gun or blow dryer, then use dental floss in a sawing motion to cut the badge glue, the finish with some goo gone to clear the residue.

Last edited:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
thinking about powder coating my stock gsr wheels.

which do you prefer, white or gold?

Gold IMO, I think white on white is a tough look that really depends on wheel design. Some white TEs would look good, something with enough negative space to counteract all the white.

Driving a F150 this week. The prospect of a truck is always exciting to me - the ride, the view, the space - but any decent gas milage requires such a soft touch on the gas. On the flip side, driving becomes more about cruising. There's a zen in keeping the truck as steady as possible.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone see the new mazda cx-30 reveal? Looks pretty sweet for a small ute.

Friend drives the old one - it's basically the most adaptable small car I've ever seen. If you live near the mountains and you don't want a Subaru or an SUV then it's a winning combo of size price and practicality. And like most Mazdas the loaded cabin feels about ten k better than it is.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Friend drives the old one - it's basically the most adaptable small car I've ever seen. If you live near the mountains and you don't want a Subaru or an SUV then it's a winning combo of size price and practicality. And like most Mazdas the loaded cabin feels about ten k better than it is.

Yeah I felt the same... got the wife a 2017 3 HB GT and 2018 CX-5 GT for myself. Both are leases so wife likely will get CX-30 next and I am eyeing the new turbo version of the CX-5 :D D :D

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Any Era member have a turbo setup that passes emissions? I bought an RX8 a couple months ago and have been planning out a build for it, then I remembered emissions tests are a thing.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any Era member have a turbo setup that passes emissions? I bought an RX8 a couple months ago and have been planning out a build for it, then I remembered emissions tests are a thing.
What's your location? A stock rx8 should still pass and the renesis doesn't handle turbos well tbh

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
What's your location? A stock rx8 should still pass and the renesis doesn't handle turbos well tbh
Texas. Yeah I've been researching and Renesis doesn't take well to a turbo from stock. I intend to bore out the rotors for larger apex seals and port what's possible of the exhaust and intake ports regardless, but I'd like to eventually get a safe level of boost for some added kick on pulls. But I'd also like to be street legal, and FI is expensive.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas. Yeah I've been researching and Renesis doesn't take well to a turbo from stock. I intend to bore out the rotors for larger apex seals and port what's possible of the exhaust and intake ports regardless, but I'd like to eventually get a safe level of boost for some added kick on pulls. But I'd also like to be street legal, and FI is expensive.
For that level of work/money it'll be cheaper to swap in a 13b or just sell the rx8 and buy an rx7 so you're emissions exempt. If you're dead set on boosting a ported renesis you'll want a professional tune and some very good highflo cats to keep it emissions friendly.

Oct 25, 2017
Debating putting an MAPerformance cold air intake in my Si.
Mostly just to hear the turbo spool up nicely and also because the factory cold air intake just kind of sits a bit too low to the ground I feel. This would sit up top.
Does anyone have any experience doing installs on these? It seems to be a bolt on kit but I haven't done one before and I am wondering what the chance of disaster would be.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
12 months till my lease is over, I cant wait to get out of this car. Never again Subaru! In my 24 years of driving getting a new car every 3 years, this has been the least enjoyed.

Im going back to a 2 seater ASAP. I would rather have a 124 Abarth, than my WRX?

Oct 30, 2017
I forgot all about this thread...I'm a monster...

Thinking really hard about a used Giulia, but afraid to bite the bullet because Alfa Romeo. Reliability seems to be...okay-ish so far though?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
For that level of work/money it'll be cheaper to swap in a 13b or just sell the rx8 and buy an rx7 so you're emissions exempt. If you're dead set on boosting a ported renesis you'll want a professional tune and some very good highflo cats to keep it emissions friendly.
FI would be the last thing I do to it if I decided to. Yeah it's expensive...would rather keep things NA if a turbo shoots me into non-legal territory.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FI would be the last thing I do to it if I decided to. Yeah it's expensive...would rather keep things NA if a turbo shoots me into non-legal territory.
RX8s/the renesis sadly are probably the worst rotary to really build power on.... Porting and a tune might be your best bet.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I actually never thought I'd see a car OT on here. So I will occasionally post in here (mostly for fully modded aftermarket cars).

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
lol.
But since you have emissions, any engine swap would need to be obd2 right? At least in AZ it does.
I'm not too fussed about making huge power, it was the handling that convinced me to buy the car. Swapping for a big V8 would make it faster, but the weight balance gets thrown off. And I like the buttery sound of the Renny haha. I just want to address the torque issues the motor has, especially low end.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
20B swap. No replacement for displacement, even applies to spinning Doritos :)

I love the RX-8 but I have a hard time justifying one. I drove a 2004 once and the shifter, the willingness to rev, how flingable the car is, it all hooked me. Despite that, a used FR-S seems like a much more practical buy for purported very slightly less fun.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RX8s are so cheap and a brand new drop in engine is <5k from Mazda tho

For low end torque - just rev that engine, it goes to 9k for a reason and past 4k is where the engine starts being fun

Yeah if I ever get an extra 20k lying around I'll put a 20b in my RX-7 but that dream is a long ways away