• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I mean the Series S is basically following the iPhone logic of making a cheaper more affordable version of the iPhone like the SE or R series and those sell pretty well.

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
What else is he going to say?

"Offering a low cost next-gen console with a payment plan and Netflix style games service seems like an excellent move and we're really worried it will cut into our ps5 sales."

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the PS3 being gutted to reduce to a lower price. And that console sold better. Options are nice sometimes.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Can anyone think of what past examples he's referring to? I can't think of any.

And do you think he's right? Wrong?

I personally think a $299 entry point + Game Pass will be an extremely popular option for parents and casual gamers.

This has never been done before, but reduced priced, low spec PC hardware has been working fine when built properly

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last time I checked the Wii outsold the Xbox 360 and PS3. Jim is just straight up lying. Either that or he is really uninformed.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I think the better analysis would be to see how much better a console sells at $299 vs a $399-499 console. Once the sales dip and the S needs a boost we will see it discounted, which considering Sony is likely losing more at $399, will be harder. That is when the S will really sell units.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
[TW : business talk, non-customer view expressed]
This has big "It's not the same game, it's not the same content" vibes.
It's easier to be fooled than admitting it. Beside that yes, the Series S is an attempt to bully developers while pleasing publishers who command them by hammering console development, with a Steam Machine made to soften contradictions of being the publisher of Windows and the owner of a staggering console brand. Dismissing qualified professional observations coming from top-tier devs at Remedy, ID or Infinity Ward won't erase the legitimacy of their concerns.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean one could argue the Nintendo Switch is a "low price, reduced spec" system as it came out after the much stronger XOne and PS4.

And last I looked, it's doing alright for itself lol.

ReggieBC

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys need to improve your reading comprehension.

Oct 28, 2017
XBOX 360 Arcade was the best chance of getting a Jasper, I remember it being pretty popular for that reason. It's when I got my own 360.

Edit: I think that system was even still working after over a decade. For years it was a dedicated TV setbox basically and on almost 24/7 every single day. Good job, Jasper.

People buying a gimped console for the chance to not get a gimped console, is like the perfect example of the height of the 360 crazy. Shit was crazy back then.

But how many people really did that outside of the big enthusiast crowd though? It's like saying the PS3 was a succes because you could install Linux on it.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever consoles in the past launched with multiple models (usually less storage), the more expensive one pretty much always sold better. That said, the price difference has never been $200

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
The Series S makes much more sense in the economy of today than whatever image Jim Ryan is basing his assessment on.

Again, Series S + Gamepass is a super enticing proposition if you like to play games. And yes, MS has work to do/prove when it comes to their 1P games but gamepass already offers variety of games and many can find gems that are good and which are not an ultra-mind-melting-blowjob-giving AAA game.

So my take is that Jim Ryan is not basing his comment on current world wide situation..

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
It will. I still can't fathom how they managed a 300 entry point into next gen. While people complain about a baseline they know nothing about being compromised.

Exactly. I've owned a base PS4 for the vast majority of this gen, and while I know it lags behind PS4 Pro and One X, it doesn't stop me from still getting wonderful experiences out of it. I just played through Death Stranding a few weeks ago, and the game still looks gorgeous. I'd have to go out of my way to watch 4k videos of it running on PC or PS4 Pro to start feeling inadequate about my version.

The average person isn't going to see the XSX as the baseline, and the XSS as some inferior version. They're going to see the XSS as the new console, and the XSX as the luxury version they don't really need. And short of Microsoft 4 years from now just throwing their hands up and going "Sorry, the Series S is too weak. We can't make any more games for it," most people will continue to be pretty happy with what comes out on that platform.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
If he wasn't concerned, he wouldn't comment.

The only thing I can think of that would be anything remotely close was Nintendo not going HD for the PsWii60 era. They didn't believe HD penetration necessitated them doing a high end model, and as much I would have appreciated the approach Microsoft are taking here, they were vindicated. The difference this time is Microsoft have both the cheaper model pumping out next gen visuals at 2K / 1440p and another model covering the high-end. Parents are definitely going to appreciate the options.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't compare. Lol. He's talking within the same model line. Not cross companies.
Oh, so he's just making stuff up then because I don't think there have been tons of examples of multiple console specs at launch (unless you want to count models with smaller storage space which I think would be a reach). So really that's not much of a better look.

plus that doesn't change the fact that the Wii is still a good example of a lower spec lower priced console being successful against higher priced higher spec competition.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
This certainly has never been done at launch of a new gen. MS is playing a different game than Sony... they know they wont outsell the PS so they are going after users. They have flat out said that.. they do not care where you play their games.. thats why they are pushing gamepass.

Jim seems to be fighting the old fights... his big ole console will sell.. and I bet you Phil congrats him on Twitter about doing so well. And then go about the plan he is putting in place. This is just an odd statement for Jim to say right now..

Oct 28, 2017
Even Sony's own PS3 with the sliding top didn't do well either, remember that one? Damn thing didn't have a hard drive or some ish lol

I was thinking directly of version's with less specs that came out at launch. If you include consoles coming out years later there's a lot more to choose from, but it's not really a fair comparison since the main console have been in the public eye for years, so people are much more likely to know about it and presumably buy it.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
It will be interesting to see how it plays out for Microsoft, personally I think there's going to be a big market for the S considering what's going on in the world. I don't expect we'll see huge price cuts on the other next gen consoles through their life either.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Oh, so he's just making stuff up then because I don't think there have been tons of examples of multiple console specs at launch. So really that's not much of a better look.

plus that doesn't change the fact that the Wii is still a good example of a lower spec lower priced console being successful against higher priced higher spec competition.
Okay so where is your market analysis?

Nov 11, 2017
Software
I think the point is, such a PS5 wouldn't be able to necessarily guarantee you that over the full cycle. Games will get more demanding, resolution on the existing PS5 will slip, a lower-spec PS5 will slip again. Would that be worth a $299 vs $399? Of course that's a different answer for every consumer.

From a Sony business perspective, part of the buy-in for a new console is getting a customer that will hopefully be engaged for several years. Selling them something that might age prematurely and result in a customer looking for a replacement sooner than they hoped, doesn't necessarily gel with that. Selling a box that will keep them satisfied longer, does.

There'll probably be a PS5 Pro in a few years, the resolution window will fall around that as the 4K high end. Some will feel the itch to upgrade then, but the current PS5 spec will hold up a lot better for a lot more people than a half-speed PS5 would.

I suppose the question is how many pixels that is at different points in the cycle and how happy people are with that if it changes or falls. And if it changes, how more likely would it make them to look elsewhere, for a new box, earlier. If games' demands are static such that the Series S can guarantee an absolute minimum level res/framerate performance (1440p) for 5/6/7 years, I think that would be a new trend.
You actually have a point.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Again, let Phil and Microsoft worry about these issues.

As a gamer just enjoy your options.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Have there even been past examples? I can't think of a single one either. Models with less storage space are nowhere near the same thing.

I mean I guess he's right - Consoles like the Series S have never done well in the past, because they never existed.

I think the Series S will sell like hotcakes over time. Especially because it's unlikely meaningful price reductions to the PS5 and Series X will come quickly this gen. A die shrink will be hard to accomplish.

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
The Series S makes much more sense in the economy of today than whatever image Jim Ryan is basing his assessment on.

Again, Series S + Gamepass is a super enticing proposition if you like to play games. And yes, MS has work to do/prove when it comes to their 1P games but gamepass already offers variety of games and many can find gems that are good and which are not an ultra-mind-melting-blowjob-giving AAA game.

So my take is that Jim Ryan is not basing his comment on current world wide situation..

Don't forget the all access plan. $25 a month for a console and tons of games? That's going to look VERY enticing to a lot of people in the current economic climate.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I mean the Series S is basically following the iPhone logic of making a cheaper more affordable version of the iPhone like the SE or R series and those sell pretty well.

I don't think he's questioning that a box like this can sell, but how long it can keep a user engaged.

Sony could put out cheaper consoles, but if they keep a user engaged in their ecosystem for shorter periods, that may not be how they want to approach things. The significance of selling a box isn't that sale, it's about starting a relationship for software sales, and they would like that to be undisrupted for as long as possible. A feeling that a box is no longer adequate is one possible threat to that engagement.

Microsoft is either betting that it can hold on to customers longer term with the Series S, or is less concerned about having 'high commitment' relationships with their customers in the first place. So much of their strategy suggests they're not as concerned about using boxes for longer term engagement, so this difference in approach isn't that surprising.

There's a relationship between engagement, hardware, the rate at which it needs refreshing etc. Between the data they have, and what each hopes for out of a hardware sale, Sony has a spot that they're comfortable with, Microsoft has another.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Jim Ryan, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO and president, has touched base on the concept of releasing cheaper, lower-spec consoles, noting they have not seen great success in the past. As such, the format holder decided not to pursue this avenue with the PS5.

One thing that can be said is that if you look at the history of the game business, creating a special low priced, reduced spec console is something that has not had great results in the past. We've considered that option and seen other executives who have attempted this discover how problematic it is.

Based on our research, it's clear that people who buy a game console want to continue using it for four, five, six or even seven years. They want to believe they have bought something that is future-proofed and not going to be outdated in two-to-three years.

https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-dualse...ttery-capacity-1-5x-greater-than-dualshock-4/

I agree with him to be honest.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, what is he supposed to say really?? Series S + Game Pass is an amazing value for those not wanting to spend $500 + $70 per game?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I think the better analysis would be to see how much better a console sells at $299 vs a $399-499 console. Once the sales dip and the S needs a boost we will see it discounted, which considering Sony is likely losing more at $399, will be harder. That is when the S will really sell units.

I feel the S is really geared towards big deals. Unless they manage lightning in a bottle that's when it it will do most of its sales

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Can anyone think of what past examples he's referring to? I can't think of any.
i'm guessing stuff like ouya and wii u

original wii is a successful example of this, but it had the motion controls as a unique selling point

it remains to be seen whether games pass will work as such a unique selling point to support an underpowered console, or if it will in practice turn out as more of a wii u gamepad feature that not a lot of people care about

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He needs to go back to doing what he does best, sitting behind a desk. What a change from Sony management from last gen.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lower spec pc is more in line with a consoles cost. Though.

But you also can do a lot more with a lower spec PC than a console, the value is much greater (work, video editing, etc...)

The thing is that gaming is an expensive hobby and in certain countries it has a prohibitive cost, even more with games cost raising in the current economic climate. I don't know if MS approach is going to work in the end, but the logic behind it, offering a next-gen experience to a cheaper cost making it more accessible makes a lot of sense and history showed us that lower priced consoles has done excellent, like the Wii.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
yeah i remain sceptical on that whole "series s will sell gangbusters" that gets thrown around here a lot.
history has shown that era posters have no clue what will be succesful anywyay.

not saying that i would be surprised if it does but i'm not seeing it as a surefire hit.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
The only direct analogy I can think of here is the 360 core (and later Arcade).

That was sold for $279/299 compared to the 360s price point of $399. Much like the Series S it was marketed towards the last generation's resolution and price sensitive consumers, since it didn't include a HDMI port and was more or less made for SDTV's.

And I think it's pretty safe to say the Core/Arcade was nowhere near a success even if calling it a flop might be a little harsh. After trying to make it relevant for years, Microsoft just quietly discontinued it when the S came out.

The big difference though, is that Core/Arcade didn't have a hard drive, which was a huge hassle for consumers and developers alike and made it a pretty terrible purchase.

So while Ryan may technically correct, trying to make it sound like it's impossible for a low end console to be successful when the sample size is so small, is a little disingenuous.
How is it disingenuous when it's clear he meant this in a gimped console terminology? Consumers have shunned consoles for having less or no features in the past. There is no guarantee Series S will be a hit especially considering it has to compete with PS4 at that $299 price point. If consumers dont care Series S is that much weaker then the Series X then they're not going to care that PS4 is weaker then the S.