Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They both made the right decision. There's a right decision for PlayStation and a right decision for Xbox and they aren't always the same thing.
Both have different strategies , doing different things. But I was talking about PlayStation and Jim Ryan here. Nothing else.
Therefore my answer "Sony made the right choice" ;)
Dang Jim Ryan is starting to get really annoying.
Wait for the next PS5 showcase where he says "Oh and one more thing" at the end and announces a new Socom ;P

Mar 8, 2018
This is all just marketing anyway. MS wants you to believe that Series S won't be a problem because they want you to have as low an entry into game pass as possible. Sony wants you to believe that it will be one, because they want to sell you on a higher priced console. They're both going to message back and forth on this for their own purposes. And just because either company says something doesn't make it true.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I think the prime example is the 360 Arcade edition. It's not quite the same case as PS3 20 GB, since the difference between no hard drive for streaming and any hard drive for streaming should not be insignificant. Would 32X vs. Saturn be applicable? Maybe. Not sure about anything else.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
In Sony's case, they're right. Their only real selling point is in their tech pushing blockbusters.

Microsoft is not chasing that carrot nearly as heavily, so they can afford to be more flexible with their hardware.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
In the past, had they tried a 720p spec of PS4, the 720p console would almost certainly look like shit to most people and probably flop. Now with Xbox Series S/X, it's Full HD vs 4k, the full HD option might be good enough for many people, considering the price differential.

We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The parity will pay off in less developmental optimizations related headaches in the long run no doubt.

But if history is to be a teacher then one ought to ask, if Jim is telling us this then what is or what he may be obfuscating. At this moment, I cannot honestly find anything given the prices are already announced.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I mean ... he's not wrong ..

but herr derr 'lyin Ryan and all that, mirite Era ?
Unfortunately, that's all this thread is.

It's not even controversial like at all. PS3 weaker/cheaper unit was ignored, devs didn't like (devs didn't like PS3 in general at first lol) 360 arcade ignored. All digital Xbox one didn't light any sales charts on fire, etc.. Then you got people out here talking about Wii like that wasn't Nintendo's targeted spec and a machine built off motion controls?

eh...all good, Jim Ryan will just be the new butt of jokes for a while, makes the thread ignoring process easier.

masterceewhy

Aug 4, 2020
Definitely agree with him, there was a study showing that most gamers come from well off families.
If you can't afford a $399 PS5 you definitely cant afford a $299 Series S either.

Think about it, if you're struggling to get an extra $100 then just stick to your XBONE/PS4.

To put into perspective $100 is an extra day or 2 of work at minimum wage.

MikeRahl

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to guess that this has something to do with market research into what people are willing to pay for a console they are expecting to last a number years.

We've seen a number of console launches that have a reduced price SKU at the start(Xbox 360, PS3, PS VIta, PS4 Pro/Slim). If your numbers shows that the higher end version is going to be bought in significantly highers numbers at the start, or the feedback is that most people wished they would have just bought the more expensive version, why split up your manufacturing and in the Series S case fragment the user base.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
They both made the right decision. There's a right decision for PlayStation and a right decision for Xbox and they aren't always the same thing.

XSS provides a low barrier to entry for Game Pass. And it provides MS a key differentiator against such a dominant brand.
Exactly. IMO a low spec discless budget console only makes sense in the context of game pass. Especially at launch when there is no way of getting the game cheap. I think XSS is targeting people who play FIFA or other yearly sports game exclusively and couldn't care less about the spec as long as it plays.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
CPU related, more often than not.
That's...not going to be a problem here.

I wouldn't say that necessarily the extent of it. PS4 and XB1 both have similar CPUs, and while both have problems, the One S has often had additional problems keeping up in terms of graphical performance as things have gotten more demanding. There's always a 'problem child' for developers, that gets more and more trying as the gen goes on. The One S was it... now imagine if there'd been a half-speed GPU One S in 2013, and how it would be doing now.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, that's all this thread is.

It's not even controversial like at all. PS3 weaker/cheaper unit was ignored. 360 arcade ignored. All digital Xbox one didn't light any sales charts on fire. Then you got people out here talking about Wii like that wasn't Nintendo's targeted spec and a machine built off motion controls?

eh...all good, Jim Ryan will just be the new butt of jokes for a while, makes the thread ignoring process easier.

1324596542030_7713053.png

Any Jim Ryan quote around these parts these days.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
He's wrong because there is no history to compare it to. What MS is doing now has never been done before.
And he wasn't saying they were wrong. He was saying their own data with lower specced systems. He is clearly talking about the PS3 lower end model. Read the article it will help you out.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If PSP Go was gimped (it wasn't!) then so is the PS5 DE (it's not!).

Not sure why anyone would point to that as an example. It had its pros and its cons. It was my favorite PSP model. Loved the dock. Loved the form factor. Loved the load times.

And he wasn't saying they were wrong. He was saying their own data with lower specced systems. He is clearly talking about the PS3 lower end model. Read the article it will help you out.
Sony barely made any due to taking a huge loss on them, then claimed no one wanted them cause sales were low. PS3 20 Gig version was purely a marketing ploy so they could market PS3 'starting at $499'. No more no less.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Not only me, you and him.
We already had devs talking about it from optimation problems to descope projects.
Yep, I think some projects wont suffer, But there will be some that do need to descope in the years ahead. I am very happy that if anything this system will last the whole Gen, and Even if they release a pro its optional and does the same thing the last pro did just Bump Resolution/Graphics.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
You know what? I change my mind. Jim Ryan is right. The lower-specced console IS a bad idea - For Sony. Sony's entire ecosystem has not been engineered to support a lower spec console, and nothing about their system is really about affordability (save for the excellent price point of $399 for the digital console - which they're not even making that many of). Sony hasn't put in any of the work to make a console like this work, and honestly, I'm not sure they have the engineering... time... to even create a lower-specced PS5 that could be expected to run all of the same games as the PS5. PS4 Pro (the easier direction to make a 2nd console) couldn't even guarantee compatibility with all PS4 games at launch. It worked out eventually, but..

But the fact that Sony probably couldn't get it done, does not mean it's a bad idea. Seriously, though. There are people who are going to be buying an Xbox ONE S - 1.3 teraflop console in Holiday 2020. Based on hardware more than 7 years old. Do you think that the Series S, which can play every next gen game the Series X can. Which is targeting 1080/1440p where the other consoles target 4k. It will still sell well. Even in the worst case scenario, where we're getting let's say lower quality textures and 720p resolution in 6 years (which I highly doubt), the things that make next-gen, next-gen won't be held back. You can still do your crazy AI and fast loading and SSD innovations and blah blah. And Series S will play all of those games.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know that I like much this guy says, but I agree on the notion that the Series S SOUNDS appealing... until you realize 4K TVs are pretty much dirt cheap and the vast majority of the inventory of all the places you'd buy a TV...

Just feels like it will be outdated very quickly but satisfy some segment of the audience. For $100 more, you get a digital only 4K console...

I know there's an audience for the Series S but I do wonder what people are saying about it 2 years down the road. As I person who was ready to go all in on a Series S, Series X just makes so much more sense for me.

My brother summed it up best for me specifically... "you wouldn't want a PS4... if it launched alongside the PS4 Pro."

/endstreamofconsciousness

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
If PSP Go was gimped (it wasn't!) then so is the PS5 DE (it's not!).

Not sure why anyone would point to that as an example. It had its pros and its cons. It was my favorite PSP model. Loved the dock. Loved the form factor. Loved the load times.
PSP GO was not successful in the slightest and perhaps devs did not like its internals? Either way, I'm sure he's talking about the lower spec versions of stuff Sony's released not being well received in various areas, which is true.

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
Both have different strategies , doing different things. But I was talking about PlayStation and Jim Ryan here. Nothing else.
Therefore my answer "Sony made the right choice" ;)

Wait for the next PS5 showcase where he says "Oh and one more thing" at the end and announces a new Socom ;P

Dude, I'm ready, I'm just really torn if I should get SOCOM 5 on PS5 or PS2.