• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
What's the technical thing about 30fps vs 40fps vs 60fps again?

Technically 40fps is closer to 60fps than it is to 30fps isn't it? I remember learning it from a DF video but forgot the explanation.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the technical thing about 30fps vs 40fps vs 60fps again?

Technically 40fps is closer to 60fps than it is to 30fps isn't it? I remember learning it from a DF video but forgot the explanation.
30fps is 33.3ms frametime
40fps is 25ms frametime
60fps is 16.6ms frametime

25ms is the perfect middle spot between the 33.3ms and the 16.6ms (even if 40 is not exactly the middle point between 30 and 60), so it's way smoother than 30.

Lil Bee

Feb 13, 2024
Cool! Haven't played this and don't have a 120hz TV. Would love to try out a 40fps PS5 game and see/feel the difference. Hope it continues to become more of a widespread option for the people who can make use of it!

Oct 25, 2017
How hard would it be to
Implement this on a system level?

Steam deck system level framerate cap with perfect frame pacing is AMAZING would love this shit on consoles

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
I wish more devs did this.... Ubisoft is one of the very few to offer it some times...

I mean FFVII Rebirth with 40 fps... I am salivating over such a prospect...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is great. There's a huge gulf between the quality and performance modes in terms of IQ on the console versions, so having this 40fps mode at (I presume?) the Quality mode settings is amazing. Should instantly be the one to use for those with supported screens.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd like to try a 40fps mode to see what it's like, so pleased to see more games getting it patched in as an option

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to try a 40fps mode to see what it's like, so pleased to see more games getting it patched in as an option
It feels exactly how you'd imagine tbh. Noticably smoother than 30fps but noticably lower than 60fps.
IMO it does feel way closer to 60fps. You can still see it's not 100% there, but it's like fairly above 30fps in fluidity, shockingly so at times.

The best part is that you mostly keep quality mode settings, so it's the best of both worlds.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Finally, more studios adopting 40fps!

So far the vast majority of 40fps modes came from PlayStation Studios.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I keep getting discount notifications for this game. Outside of frames, is it any good.

I enjoy Far Cry, for the most part. Is it worth £40 though?

DocScroll

May 25, 2021
60fps image quality seemed pretty great to me but great to have another option. Hope Outlaws has these different performance modes available too.

camo

Nov 16, 2017
This is brilliant news.

I've had a 120hz TV for around 6 months now and have found myself purchasing games (that I wouldn't normally) that have a 40fps option. Those 10 frames really do make a difference.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
40 is the nice middle ground between 30 & 60.

Then again I/you need a120hz TV/monitor... ☹️

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Still an easy pass since the discs are coasters. Reprint them without internet requirements and I might play it at some point.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Love hearing this, I'll load it up and try it today. It's such a beautiful game and really fun so I'm happy that Ubi is putting in more work on it.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
The LG C series, no doubt. Best TVs in the market.

The C series isn't even the flagship series anymore for LG themselves that automatically gets the best panel and processing for the lowest price. That's in the past. So in what terms is it the best? The G series is now their true flagship, with MLA panel and the best processor. But Samsung and Sony are way better contenders these last few years then some time back, so it's not as easy to recommend the best TV anymore by just saying "buy the LG OLED".

I say that as an owner of a C8, C9, and who nearly bought a G4 recently.

Lynchian Anomaly
Your question is way too broad. Name a budget, size, and preferences and best go to one of the dedicated TV threads on here.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Also XeSS on PC:

wccftech.com

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora 3.2 Update Adds Intel XeSS Support on PC, 40 FPS Mode on Consoles

A new Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora update has gone live today, introducing Intel XeSS support on PC and 40 FPS mode on consoles

That said, since I'm still subbed to his stuff anyway, it does feel better with DLSS framegen vs FSR framegen.
Did they fix FSR FG with this update? Because it was completely broken as in not working at all in the previous two.

n0stalghia

Banned
Jan 26, 2023
Austria
Is this game available from a platform Ubisoft doesn't fully control? The recent news of The Crew are making me cautious buying from Ubisoft again, but this is the most excited I've been for a Far Cry game in a long time...

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this game available from a platform Ubisoft doesn't fully control? The recent news of The Crew are making me cautious buying from Ubisoft again, but this is the most excited I've been for a Far Cry game in a long time...
It's a single player game that is available on PS5, Series and PC through their store and EGS.

elPolloDiablo

Apr 9, 2021
the Netherlands
Also XeSS on PC:

wccftech.com

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora 3.2 Update Adds Intel XeSS Support on PC, 40 FPS Mode on Consoles

A new Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora update has gone live today, introducing Intel XeSS support on PC and 40 FPS mode on consoles

Did they fix FSR FG with this update? Because it was completely broken as in not working at all in the previous two.
No clue if they fixed it, didn't know it was broken, but it would explain why it felt and looked off.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
Will play this when it becomes really cheap and/or on a subscription service only for the graphics, so this is good news. 40fps modes are the best.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
Am I right in thinking that this would be only the second non-sony exclusive to have this feature on consoles? It is such a great compromise that when it first showed up I assumed it would get widespread support, but that hasn't happened.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
You are worried they are gonna take away a single player game? Wasn't the crew on Steam? A platform they don't fully control? The crew going down had everything to do with it being an always online multiplayer game right? This is a genuine question, I did not follow any of this closely. I never got the impression that we should be worried about them taking away other games. Aren't there way older Ubisoft games still available right now to purchase?