CKT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 1, 2020
Top tier animation, and I didn't watch this show as a kid.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching it now with my 9&7 year old children and they fucking love it. Like EAT IT UP. It's a great show and even things like the cabbage merchant that some may find grating my son absolutely loves.

So ya know...it's a cartoon...that also happens to be really good.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
4 episodes in and it's alright at best
It's pretty low-key at the start. There are hints of the hights it would reach later but it's not on full display for the first bunch of episodes. I'd say The Storm is the first great episode.

edit: Just checked the episode list and there are excellent episodes before The Storm. I forgot it was 12 episodes in! ..but it's still the first top tier episode in a show that's drowning in amazing episodes.

Last edited:

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
It just does so much right woth exactly the structure, tone, pace, and imagination I want in my storytelling. Nothing has come close since then.

I actually really like the first season. I started to appreciate it more in rewatches.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lot of folk shrug off season 1, but the "Blue Spirit" episode is still one of the best of the series. I personally like all of season 1 save for that canyon episode with the two clans.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I loved both of them, but I remember the finale for Avatar airing the same night that The Dark Knight rises came out and being a lot more impressed with Avatar (TDK has definitely grown on me in the years since though).

I've rewatched it a few times since and the first half of season 1 is always a bit of a slog to get through, but then there's no looking back. It's an excellent show, especially since it wasn't afraid to death with a lot of themes you wouldn't normally see in a show coming out of Nickelodeon.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
lots of people shitting on season one. gotta disagree quite a bit on that one. sure it was a little slow, but i thought it was okay since it was helping introduce us into that world. even the filler stuff i didn't think was that bad in that season. plus it had a fucking epic two part finale, one that i personally liked way more than season 2's finale.

no, if you want to criticize the show, you do so with the first 1/3 or so of season 3. now a bunch of THOSE episodes were awful. the painted lady, the dancing episode, the beach episode, the bloodbending episode, etc. given how strongly season 2 ended, and to have it start off like THAT? yeesh.

Jul 5, 2019
The show is great, but like any media it's not perfect. Most of the romance in the show is pretty uninteresting and the humor is great at times but also a bit grating in a few instances. The worldbuilding, character development, and fight scene choreography are still unparalleled, though.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
well, i didnt like how they were still doing sidequests in random villages in season 3 even when they knew sozin's comet was coming soon

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rewatching the show as we speak.

Season 1 REALLY didn't age well. Its still great, but Book 2 is truly when the show was fully realized.

Uncle Iroh is still the greatest fictional character in existence. Fight me.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Rewatching the show as we speak.

Season 1 REALLY didn't age well. Its still great, but Book 2 is truly when the show was fully realized.

Uncle Iroh is still the greatest fictional character in existence. Fight me.
Season 1 ages fine. Great worldbuilding, fantastic action set pieces and strong introductions to all the major characters.

it's amazing that the show delivered a scene this cinematic and iconic so quickly.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Still one of the very few shows that treats children with respect and tackles so many important themes and lessons. I definitely feel like I'd be a different person had I not watched it.

Rewatching it with my SO, greatest show ever