Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Final day in the thread before I bounce to avoid spoilers (and general warning for others).

Comes out Friday here so I'll be back that night and ready to soak in the afterglow with everyone. Hope everyone has the best time between now and then, enjoy being back on Pandora ✨

🐟🌊🐬💙🐋🌊🐠

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
yeah i'm going mid 80's RT... which i think will be excellent because there are some long in the tooth naysayers out there who just won't be convinced no matter what

what you do notice from the early reactions though is even those who have genuine issues, still praise the film...

all hyperbole aside, it sounds like avatar 2 is in fact worthy of its existence, and cameron was justified in going again... even after all this time

personally i can't wait

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Imagine being one of those poor bastards (there are lots here - hi guys!) that has spent the past 13 years saying no one cares about Avatar, it had no cultural impact (lol) and that the sequel will bomb because of a combination of those factors and Cameron can no longer being able to get by on a "gimmick". Also, these folks often are vehemently stating that they will not, under any circumstances, see A2. They will, of course, see it theatrically like 3 times like the rest of us lol.

Flash forward 13 years and the rave reviews and award buzz keeps rolling in and its set to assault the box office again. But hey, go ahead and make that super clever and always hilarious Ferngully post again!
Why let critics take up so much of your mindshare?

Dissociation

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Why let critics take up so much of your mindshare?
There is some degree of satisfaction when for 13 years, people wouldn't miss out on any opportunity to shit on the first movie, and whenever you mentioned that you liked Avatar, people would say how it's just "Pocahontas dances with the smurfs in space" or whatever (which by now is even more derivative than Avatar 1's plot). Soo yeah, let them eat a bit crow lol

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's OK for people to dislike Avatar guys lol. Every franchise has its dissenters.
Of course it's fine to not like it. I'm not taking issues with people that don't like it. I'm taking issue with the folks that have spent 13 years LOUDLY holding a grudge against it for reasons unknown and exclaiming at any opportunity that not a soul alive cared or remembers the movie, and such the sequel was doomed to bomb. Those completely out of touch with reality people will be getting a well deserved dunking on in the coming months.

But yes, it's 100% fine to have not liked Avatar as it will be 100% fine to not like Avatar 2.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I have to wait until the the 19th to have seats together with my small group because I didn't expect them to basically sell out all showings two weeks in advance.

I don't have a lot of hype, but I expect to be blown away by the spectacle and maybe moved by the story - I'm one of the weirdos who enjoyes the overall emotional ride and pro-environment message of the first.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'm predicting similar reviews as the first around 85%, 7.5/10 average score. RT is way more generous than it was back in 2009 due to all the youtubers on the site now + people seem way higher on Avatar these days so a little higher makes sense, with criticisms for runtime/storytelling issues.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
There is some degree of satisfaction when for 13 years, people wouldn't miss out on any opportunity to shit on the first movie, and whenever you mentioned that you liked Avatar, people would say how it's just "Pocahontas dances with the smurfs in space" or whatever (which by now is even more derivative than Avatar 1's plot). Soo yeah, let them eat a bit crow lol
I don't understand why people can't just enjoy a movie and not use it as some weird proxy for arguments they had with internet randos back in 2012, but okay. It was never in doubt by anyone serious Avatar 2 would be a big hit. The whole casting of Avatar and its fans as some sort of underdog is super weird.

Lizard Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
Good visual aid from Reddit on IMAX Formats. You can check your theater type here.

Fj1re52VsAAM5I5

Fj1re51UUAEO8R-

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Dusted of the glasses of my 3D TV (yeah, I was a believer) yesterday and rewatched the original for the first time in years.

That movie just slaps. It was way better than I remembered. Maybe because I'm accustomed to the current blockbuster landscape of legacy sequels which take cheap nostalgia for true emotions and cinematic universes where the release slate dictated the need for a movie in stead of the story, but it felt good to see a blockbuster that felt genuine in its storytelling and themes, and has a director behind the camera that knows how to squeeze everything out of the medium.

Not perfect in any way (cardboard villains, the voice over was pretty grating to me, even if it was diegetic in a way; and the script takes some easy shortcuts regarding character motivations), but I was engrossed.

Got my seat booked for tomorrow 9.15 am, first showing of the release day, and I can't overstate how much I'm looking forward to it.

Dissociation

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I don't understand why people can't just enjoy a movie and not use it as some weird proxy for arguments they had with internet randos back in 2012, but okay. It was never in doubt by anyone serious Avatar 2 would be a big hit. The whole casting of Avatar and its fans as some sort of underdog is super weird.
It's really not that deep, but because of Avatar's immense success along with its very basic, but serviceable plot line, it almost became a public sport to shit on Avatar whenever it's mentioned, go to any comment section on Avatar related news and see people going on about how terrible of a movie it was, and it largely still is like that, it's not a 2012 thing. People are really salty about avatar not satisfying their taste for sophisticated movie plots.

Dec 11, 2017
People are really salty about avatar not satisfying their taste for sophisticated movie plots.
If people actually wanted complex plots in their blockbusters then Tenet would have done a lot better.

I honestly don't think most people are properly articulating what they don't like about Avatar. I think people are put off by the film's sincerity. It doesn't have the ironic detatchment that most blockbusters have today.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that is super weird are the nerds that shat on the movie ad nauseam acting like it's one of the worst things ever made.

If people actually wanted complex plots in their blockbusters then Tenet would have done a lot better.
People don't want nonsense either

Teusery

"This guy are sick"
May 18, 2022
Cameron claims to have purposefully made a simple plot in the first one to introduce us to the world. He's aware of what he did.

I don't think looking at the first one's story reception makes sense to anticipate what we're gonna get this time around. But we'll learn some more in a few hours

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

I honestly don't think most people are properly articulating what they don't like about Avatar. I think people are put off by the film's sincerity. It doesn't have the ironic detatchment that most blockbusters have today.

I can articulate why I don't like Avatar just fine, thanks. It's not its sincerity that bugs me, either.

And people don't say "no one liked Avatar". It's perfectly valid to say it had very little lasting impact given its lack of presence in fan spaces and among fan creators.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if my cinema will have breaks. Looking forward to the visual marvel this weekend!

EDIT: Oh it's only 3hrs. Thought it was 4

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I can articulate why I don't like Avatar just fine, thanks. It's not its sincerity that bugs me, either.

And people don't say "no one liked Avatar". It's perfectly valid to say it had very little lasting impact given its lack of presence in fan spaces and among fan creators.
Measuring "lasting impact" by fandom doesn't make any sense for Avatar. Something like Top Gun (huge blockbuster/cultural zeitgeist of its time) to Top Gun Maverick (decade's later return) is the impact to compare to, not to franchises that saturated every form of media for decades to ensure you never stop thinking about them. Avatar isn't Star Wars. Avatar is Independence Day, Top Gun, Inception, The Matrix pre-sequels, etc.

A reminder: Untagged spoilers will be allowed tomorrow morning. Reviews going up shortly.
OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone. Going to threadmark this so anyone not actively following the thread can see.

Two things:
- Reviews will be going live today. There will probably be a separate thread for it. That thread will most likely have spoiler tagged discussion. So if you're not going to see the movie for awhile, consider moving over to that thread to avoid spoilers.
- Untagged spoilers will be allowed the second the general public can watch the movie in any country. If any members here says the movie is now screening in theaters in their home country, they can immediately begin talking about it with no restrictions.

It is highly recommended if you care about spoilers to consider bailing very soon. You have a few more hours left, so you don't need to right this second. But I strongly advise you prepare to do so.

That's all I have to say. Enjoy the movie!

Last edited:

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unmarked spoilers as of tomorrow? Sheeeeittt. I'm not seeing it til Saturday, goddamn gotta tread lightly for 4 days!

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Measuring "lasting impact" by fandom doesn't make any sense for Avatar. Something like Top Gun (huge blockbuster/cultural zeitgeist of its time) to Top Gun Maverick (decade's later return) is the impact to compare to, not to franchises that saturated every form for media of decades to ensure you never stop thinking about them. Avatar isn't Star Wars. Avatar is Independence Day, Top Gun, Inception, The Matrix pre-sequels, etc.

Those all have still penetrated the public consciousness in ways that are pretty positive. There's nothing in Avatar that people positively remember like "I feel the need, etc.", "You can be my wingman anytime", "welcome to Earth!" or the deal with the tops in Inception. There's no shots in it that have proven enduring, like the White House being blown up or the first uses of Bullet Time. The most I've ever seen that people remember from Avatar are the fact it used 3D and the use of "unobtanium" as a plot device.

Can you really tell me that Jake Sully is in the pantheon of great film heroes as people remember like Neo, or Maverick? Or that Quarich is as enduring a villain as the likes of Agent Smith? Is that even his name? I struggled to remember it.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I remember the first Avatar had an embargo and then Hollywood Reporter said fuck it and posted their glowing review a day or two before and Fox said whatever embargo is over. Anyone remember that?

Oct 27, 2017
Those all have still penetrated the public consciousness in ways that are pretty positive. There's nothing in Avatar that people positively remember like "I feel the need, etc.", "You can be my wingman anytime", "welcome to Earth!" or the deal with the tops in Inception. There's no shots in it that have proven enduring, like the White House being blown up or the first uses of Bullet Time. The most I've ever seen that people remember from Avatar are the fact it used 3D and the use of "unobtanium" as a plot device.

Can you really tell me that Jake Sully is in the pantheon of great film heroes as people remember like Neo, or Maverick? Or that Quarich is as enduring a villain as the likes of Agent Smith? Is that even his name? I struggled to remember it.
I'm not sure how you can type that and think it seriously; I don't think any particular characters in Avatar have been particularly endearing, the ingenuity of the plot line certainly isn't going to wow audiences for decades to come, nor is there a specific scene (akin to 'bullet time', the White House being destroyed, etc.) which people point towards but the one aspect which absolutely undeniably endures is Pandora as a setting, which the film went to great pains to establish over it's run time.

I think there are very few people that have seen the movie who 'forget' the world that the movie created over its runtime, whether that's the ponytail connection 'thing', the various creatures, the floating mountains, the woodsprites, the Navi, the humans' tech (planes, armoured suits) etc., and it's very telling that the trailers for the second has once again been about recapturing and reminding people about Pandora, and the entire Disneyworld Park capitalising on people remembering (successful results in terms of membership beyond other parks' similar rises and also avoiding a cannibalisation of other parks' numbers) is a testament to the enduring impact it had. People largely remember the 3D (beyond it being an incredible technical showcase) specifically because of how it aided in immersing people into Pandora and completely buying this world .

While people like to try and detach 'setting'/'lore' from plot, creating a setting is inexorably part of storytelling and creating a plot line. While there's little complexity in the plotline, the world it builds in such a limited runtime is (arguably) far more fully-realised even if rather detail-scant than most movies.

I think you can try to pretend Pandora didn't leave a lasting impact, and you can completely ignore the success of the Disney World Resort, the continued legs of Avatar (in it's initial run and its many re-releases), and the marketing strategy of the sequel essentially focusing entirely on capitalising on people's memory of Pandora, but your imagination needs to do a lot of work to try and legitimise that to oneself.

Last edited:

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not sure how you can type that and think it seriously; I don't think any particular characters in Avatar have been particularly endearing, the ingenuity of the plot line certainly isn't going to wow audiences for decades to come, nor is there a specific scene (akin to 'bullet time', the White House being destroyed, etc.) which people point towards but the one aspect which absolutely undeniably endures is Pandora as a setting, which the film went to great pains to establish over it's run time.

I think there are very few people that have seen the movie who 'forget' the world that the movie created over its runtime, whether that's the ponytail connection 'thing', the various creatures, the floating mountains, the woodsprites, the Navi, the humans' tech (planes, armoured suits) etc., and it's very telling that the trailers for the second has once again been about recapturing and reminding people about Pandora, and the entire Disneyworld Park capitalising on people remembering (successful results in terms of membership beyond other parks' similar rises and also avoiding a cannibalisation of other parks' numbers) is a testament to the enduring impact it had. People largely remember the 3D (beyond it being an incredible technical showcase) specifically because of how it aided in immersing people into Pandora and completely buying this world .

While people like to try and detach 'setting'/'lore' from plot, creating a setting is inexorably part of storytelling and creating a plot line. While there's little complexity in the plotline, the world it builds in such a limited runtime is (arguably) far more fully-realised even if rather detail-scant than most movies.

I think you can try to pretend Pandora didn't leave a lasting impact, and you can completely ignore the success of the Disney World Resort, the continued legs of Avatar (in it's initial run and its many re-releases), and the marketing strategy of the sequel essentially focusing entirely on capitalising on people's memory of Pandora, but your imagination needs to do a lot of work to try and legitimise that to oneself.

Just personally speaking, as someone who saw the movie, you had to remind me of everything except the USB tail thing.

And considering Avatar 2 is all about new parts of Pandora, with new creatures and settings to make toys of (which by the way didn't sell well the first time around), I'm pretty sure the new movie isn't banking as much on people's nostalgia of that world as you think.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017

If you don't like a film, offer up some real critique of it, but this just feels like the same wishy washy critique most people offer up because it's difficult to refute (and equally to prove too).

How does anyone begin to prove something has penetrated the public consciousness?

Edit: You could maybe look at something like this I suppose, but it kinda refutes your point.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=/m/0bth54,/m/018js4

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Just personally speaking, as someone who saw the movie, you had to remind me of everything except the USB tail thing.

And considering Avatar 2 is all about new parts of Pandora, with new creatures and settings to make toys of (which by the way didn't sell well the first time around), I'm pretty sure the new movie isn't banking as much on people's nostalgia of that world as you think.
Were there toys to sell well to begin with?

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I would say that was in doubt, and there's been a lot of ink spilled on this forum over the years making that argument lol

I agree it does seem silly to frame the biggest film of all time as an underdog, but that is generally how this community has acted toward it for the past decade. If I were Solo or Sculli I'd be taking a victory lap around the doubters too lol

Yams

Oct 25, 2017

I see you

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
If you don't like a film, offer up some real critique of it, but this just feels like the same wishy washy critique most people offer up because it's difficult to refute (and equally to prove too).

How does anyone begin to prove something has penetrated the public consciousness?

Edit: You could maybe look at something like this I suppose, but it kinda refutes your point.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=/m/0bth54,/m/018js4

I see it rising very modestly as the sequel approaches. Is this the smoking gun you wanted it to be? I'm not very good with these kinds of graphs.

But nevertheless, I have given a "proper" critique of it. I'm only bringing up stuff like this because that's what the original post I responded to talked about. Multiple people in various threads have complained about Avatar's use of white savior tropes and clumsy attempts at colonialism criticism.

But in all seriousness, I need to duck out here. I'm not trying to stir up shit and run, it's more I've been supposed to trying to stay out of arguments like this. It's seriously bad for my health. x_x

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
I see it rising very modestly as the sequel approaches. Is this the smoking gun you wanted it to be? I'm not very good with these kinds of graphs.

But nevertheless, I have given a "proper" critique of it. I'm only bringing up stuff like this because that's what the original post I responded to talked about. Multiple people in various threads have complained about Avatar's use of white savior tropes and clumsy attempts at colonialism criticism.

I was looking at the average, but you can look at the yearly data if you want to.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2022-01-01 2022-12-31&q=/m/0bth54,/m/018js4

I have read your posts about your bolded critique before, and while I don't agree with it, it's at least something that can be discussed.

Oct 27, 2017

Well there's nothing to really discuss when it comes to what you or I personally remember, that's a very different topic to the lasting impact it has where I think there are many indicators that make it quite clear people do remember Pandora; they may not remember specific parts, but absolutely remember the world that was created.

You can try to mischaracterise the marketing focusing on the world as a cynical attempt to sell merchandise, but it reveals a fundamental misunderstanding of why the original was so successful (which was specifically around the world), why the Disney park is so successful, and why there is anticipation about the sequel (which is specifically about returning to Pandora, and seeing more of Pandora). The merchandise's lack of success further highlights that again, it's not about a specific individual character, or creature, that people cared about in the original, it was explicitly about how immersive the world was, and that's what people remember and why the movie had the legs it had and why it had such a massive impact on the industry in the years it followed (massively influencing 3D development in the time surrounding its releasing and shifting TV manufacturer focus for almost half a decade).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Avatar not engendering hordes of fanboys can only be seen as a positive as far as I'm concerned

Last edited:

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Sooo uhh, how impossible is it going to be to just roll up this weekend and get tickets to this lol?

Edit - Ah, it's literally all reserved seating at my nearest theater.

Last edited: