• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EndlessSummer

Mar 21, 2022
Apologies for the delay but now I'll be available to take this to a conclusion.

For Avatars we had two suggestions:

5kG7rvH.jpg

&
U2fa3v7l.jpg

For the user tags we've had the following suggestions:

"Actually, the bet is still going"
"I just blue myself"
"Somehow, Quaritch Returned"
"Faithfuls stick together"
"Well ackshually, I never lost because the Avatar bet is still going"
"We won the moral victory. It's what matters I swear!"

If I missed one let me know but if not I'll open voting with those options tomorrow.
My vote goes to the first avatar and the second tag.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
For real though, can we do both those avatars, so that women can choose the feminine one if they want (or if men want the feminine one!)? Lol. I seriously just want a feminine avatar, it can still be ugly (and you can make it uglier, I don't care). It just sucks that we're apparently only catering to men when there were at least some women participating in the bet :p
Can confirm that having a gender dependent avatar might be ideal hahaha.

EDIT: Still feeling a bit silly I entered without reading the avatar part. I genuinely wouldn't have entered otherwise hahaha.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
No matter what avatar and tag I get at least we all got to post in a thread that ended up having a hilarious self-exile from reset in it
Careful, the last guy who referenced that got a permanent thread ban, but he was being way over the top with it.

For me, I'll always remember this thread as the thread where like 3-4 people got banned trying to bait me lol

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Like one person was claiming moral victory, don't put that on all faithful.
More than one person tying to play a grab at a non-victory for the faithful.
But I believe the film will be way more succesful than many faithless believe, which would make the celebratory posts after the weekend pretty funny in hindsight. After years of 'no one wants this!' and 'no cultural relevance!' and 'name one character, lolz!' it will be a moral win, yes.
I'd say faithless are also on track for a pyrrhic victory although not sure if that would make it 2:2 or 3:1!
It's been quite the mad bet to watch whatever happens in the end.
Even if we lose we still won.
It surpassed all of the faithless expectations
Does this work both ways? If it ended up doing 2.6, would I, as faithless, be able to claim some kind of moral victory for coming close?

Sure...its a bet on an internet forum.

It's going to fall short, it is going to be one of the top earners in modern history in the post/pre pandemic era. Its absurd that its even reaching 2.5B. Give me a pink tag for the rest of my life, turn Bernie into an avatar.
if it falls anywhere near 2.5b i'm taking this as a moral victory. most of the faithless thought it would barely get a billy.
Let's be honest - Most people who were Faithless were mostly predicting it would not hit 2.5 because they felt Avatar was lightning in a bottle and cannot possible be as powerful a brand as their favourite cape movie. Not because of covid concerns.

Sure technically you win if it does not hit 2.5 bbillion because of 'pandemic' but this result shows Avatar is still most powerful movie franchise on the planet.
Watch it stop at $2,499,999,999.99 . lol
All those people that whined about the bet being so high? I'll serve them one hell of a plate of crow.
We win by moral victory aswell by being the nicer bunch😊

jett said:
Why would a re-release count for this bet? It'd be long over by that point
Moral victory never ends

Team Faithful en route for moral victory

YES. A moral victory and a pink tag!

Who's jealous of us faithful now?

Teusery

"This guy are sick"
May 18, 2022
The delays on this thing are hilarious haha. No one's going to comment on how we already basically voted a winner among the avatars and tags a few days ago?

Actually, the process of selecting the avatar and tag is still ongoing.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Can confirm that having a gender dependent avatar might be ideal hahaha.

EDIT: Still feeling a bit silly I entered without reading the avatar part. I genuinely wouldn't have entered otherwise hahaha.

Thanks—it's also no fun being ignored as well. But I guess this forum is always a bit of a boys club…

Let's just keep our new feminine avatars ✊ haha

I don't mind changing the avatar, maybe I'll even keep this one longer if I forget, who knows. But I always like having a lady avatar to go along with…being a lady lol.

It's only two months, at least! It will be okay haha.

OP
OP
less

less

Oct 25, 2017
So do mods change the avatar or do we have to do it our self. Can we get a mod that sponsors these next time if we have to change it ourself.

Is it...that much of a hassle to change the avatar yourself?

The delays on this thing are hilarious haha. No one's going to comment on how we already basically voted a winner among the avatars and tags a few days ago?

Actually, the process of selecting the avatar and tag is still ongoing.

A small portion of the faithless selecting a title when not all titles were grouped together is perhaps not the best way to do thing.

Thanks—it's also no fun being ignored as well. But I guess this forum is always a bit of a boys club…

I don't mind changing the avatar, maybe I'll even keep this one longer if I forget, who knows. But I always like having a lady avatar to go along with…being a lady lol.

I'm perfectly fine with have two avatars to pick between and the faithful selecting whichever one they prefer. But I think the faithless probably need to chime in.

Marengo

Shinra Employee Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 28, 2017

Yup I've no problem with there being a male & female avatar. They're both awful 🤡

Oct 25, 2017
More than one person tying to play a grab at a non-victory for the faithful.
Lol you quoted me as an example of moral victory, touch grass. What I said was seriously the mildest comment in this entire thread. Oh the horror I said it was going to fall short, that it is still exceptionally successful. Said give me the tag now, I'm wearing the avatar now and have for nearly a week.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
some people seem salty that abadar deux wasn't the bomba they were hoping

edit: as soon as I get the tag I'll put on one of those avatars. Honestly the fact they're AI generated is probably the most damning thing about them.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Is it...that much of a hassle to change the avatar yourself?

A small portion of the faithless selecting a title when not all titles were grouped together is perhaps not the best way to do thing.

I'm perfectly fine with have two avatars to pick between and the faithful selecting whichever one they prefer. But I think the faithless probably need to chime in.

No I guess not

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Lol you quoted me as an example of moral victory, touch grass. What I said was seriously the mildest comment in this entire thread. Oh the horror I said it was going to fall short, that it is still exceptionally successful. Said give me the tag now, I'm wearing the avatar now and have for nearly a week.
I just meant because you replied 'sure' to having a moral victory.

edit: as soon as I get the tag I'll put on one of those avatars. Honestly the fact they're AI generated is probably the most damning thing about them.
If you don't like the avatars, mission achieved.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

Remember some specific posters that were certain it wouldn't even crack a billy? Good times

I'll wear the tag/avatar with pride knowing I'll get to watch Avatar 3-5 in theaters

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
More likely the bet dragged on for so long everybody took their ball and went home

Seriously it's been like half a year

And it still couldn't make 2.5. James losing his touch

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If we wear the avatar early that means we get to start the bet earlier too right.

Wait I only get the tag for two weeks? Can I have the tag for two months too?

To Quote the Terms and Agreements to the bet.

If Avatar: The Way of Water grosses less than $2.5 billion worldwide, those who bet otherwise will be forced to suffer the same fate. The faithful will have to wear an avatar chosen by the faithless for at least two months. A humiliating custom hot pink user tag, picked by the faithless with approval from the staff, will also be placed on the faithful for two weeks.

As the AI Avatar... avatars got the most votes from the faithless, I do believe those to be the collectively chosen ones. And the requirement is to have them for at least two months.

The Tags I see as their own separate part of the bet and I'm just waiting for whenever those go out.

RobotsAnger

Oct 29, 2017
Dunno how a hot pink user tag is humiliating, anyone who participated should get that pink user tag.
Btw, like everyone else I vote for 1st avatar and 1st tag.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What would be the next upcoming films to run an Avatar Bet on? Can we get one going for Oppenheimer VS Barbie since they are coming out on the same day? Which grosses more and which reviews better? That'll be a fun one to do.

Avatar Instructions For Faithful
OP
OP
less

less

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, since Faithless are fine with the Faithful being allowed to select between the two proposed avatars depending on their preference we'll go with that.

Faithful, please select between one of the two avatars below for what you would like to wear for the next two months:

5kG7rvH.jpg

or
U2fa3v7l.jpg

While the official start will be when the user tag is applied...you can wear it now if you prefer.

User Tag Voting Instructions For Faithless
OP
OP
less

less

Oct 25, 2017
Now for the user tag.

User Tag Voting

Faithless, please vote for one of the following as the user tag you would like the Faithful to wear:
  1. "We won the moral victory. It's what matters I swear!"
  2. "Somehow, Quaritch Returned"
  3. "Actually, the bet is still going"
  4. "I just blue myself"
  5. "Faithfuls stick together"
  6. "Well ackshually, I never lost because the Avatar bet is still going"
Faithless have until May 23rd to make their vote known.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
ive got no bone in this race but "actually, the bet is still going" is hilarious

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, since Faithless are fine with the Faithful being allowed to select between the two proposed avatars depending on their preference we'll go with that.

Faithful, please select between one of the two avatars below for what you would like to wear for the next two months:

5kG7rvH.jpg

or
U2fa3v7l.jpg

While the official start will be when the user tag is applied...you can wear it now if you prefer.
Are there any rules here? Like I currently have one exceptionally similar...can I also switch the other one?

less, really appreciate you keeping this fun. Hope everyone had a good time.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Now for the user tag.

User Tag Voting

Faithless, please vote for one of the following as the user tag you would like the Faithful to wear:
  4. "I just blue myself"
Finally! #3 Please and thank you

harleyvwarren

Oct 31, 2022
Illinois
Now for the user tag.

User Tag Voting

4. "I just blue myself"

#3.