Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, branches of the main timeline.

Of their main timeline.

This would be like the 2014 timeline is Earth-1, 2012 is Earth-2, 1970 is Earth-3.

The Main MCU timeline of 2023 is Earth-0.

Each timeline has a main timeline. However that timeline can branch in an unexpected way if the Infinity Stones are removed from play.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Well then...

Correct me if this is wrong:

1. 2024 Cap goes back to 1950.
2. At that time, OG Capsicle is frozen and stays frozen the entire time 2024 Cap is there living out his dream life with Peggy Carter. There are TWO Steve Rogers at this point; a frozen one and the one that time-traveled from 2024. Both would have been close enough in age that nobody would probably tell the difference, assuming he did pull off a switcheroo.
3. 2024 Cap leaves 1950's Peggy 70 years later to return to 2024 and sits on a bench, wrinkled and gray and frail, with a shield, which since it's 2024 when he left the branched timeline as well, he could have gotten from either Howard Stark, Tony Stark or Wakanda or maybe even just made a new one himself for giggles. He had 70 years, afterall, to do a lot of stuff.

--Makes you wonder - what was the fate of OG Capsicle? Was he ever found and rescued? 2024 Cap seems to have been there beyond the point that OG Capsicle was rescued in the current timeline. Does he prevent Capsicle from being found and just leaves him for dead the whole time while he lives out the life that he would have lived had he not been frozen??

There are of course a million other questions relating to Steve Rogers and the whole Marvel universe now, in that branched timeline. Like, do the Avengers even exist there? Did Steve Rogers continue to be Captain America Superhero when he was there all those years schmoozing peggy Carter? Does he fight Thanos AGAIN in that branch?

There is so much stuff to think about. But I'm mostly wondering what happens with OG Capsicle in the branched timeline.

Popsicle Cap had two fates, either main line Cap was selfish and hid his dirty little secret from that world so popsicle Cap was never found; or main line Cap unfroze pop cap in order for pop cap to do all the super hero work while main line Cap enjoyed the good life growing old with his love. Either way, Cap was up to no good rewriting his own history!

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Of their main timeline.

This would be like the 2014 timeline is Earth-1, 2012 is Earth-2, 1970 is Earth-3.

The Main MCU timeline of 2023 is Earth-0.

Each timeline has a main timeline. However that timeline can branch in an unexpected way if the Infinity Stones are removed from play.
It's basically this. The main timeline is the one we follow through the MCU movies, the black line. Stones are taken, and branching timelines appear. Putting them back in place like Steve did, would close those branching timelines and it's like they would have never existed.

avengers_timeline_2c3ka6.png

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I didn't understand it that way. I thought the point was to return everything so they would branch, but the same way. Returning Mjolnir to make the timeline functionally the same as the original for instance.

But, yeah, Steve's return would suggests that time becomes a closed loop when things are returned to what they were. But if there's one timeline then Steve would effectively erase Sharon Carter in the main timeline, unless he was always part of her family tree? It doesn't seem like Old Steve could return to a seperate main timeline without someone bringing him through on that end.

Anyway I don't think it was trying to be a coherent time travel plot.

Let's say you pulled out a Jenga piece and then went back and put it back in the same spot. The outcome shouldn't change, if no one knew you did it. Should continue along the same timeline. If you don't go back, something changes, and branches to a different line. The goal was to put all the Jenga pieces back so there was only one Jenga game.

With Cap, he took out that piece with Carter and never put it back so to speak so lived out in that branch, until after she died. Then he went back to the original game.

We have no idea how the Avengers seemed to know how to set the time jump to specific times/space. But as far as the movie is concerned, they did.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the only other two people who may have survived it were Captain Marvel and Thor, but they likely would have been fucked up. As Hulk explains, he only survived because the radiation is similar to the kind he's made from.

And it's poetic it's Tony who does it. He started the whole MCU, and he's ending it. Sure he has everything to lose, but that's self sacrifice for you. Ultimately it's his technology and his gauntlet. Tony being the one to use it was fitting.

He is ending the phase, allowing for the rebalance of the entire MCU. It opens new slots for heroes, new Avengers arcs, soft-resets the powerlevels (Thor, Iron Man, Captain Marvel) got waaay too strong for the Earth level. I feel like the next phase should involve the team of villains going against the reforming Avengers, there is always a gang of supervillains in comics.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Popsicle Cap had two fates, either main line Cap was selfish and hid his dirty little secret from that world so popsicle Cap was never found; or main line Cap unfroze pop cap in order for pop cap to do all the super hero work while main line Cap enjoyed the good life growing old with his love. Either way, Cap was up to no good rewriting his own history!

Old Cap let frozen Cap visit Peggy in the hospital while he played golf with Mjolnir, while changing Peggy Carter's family tree, meaning frozen Cap never meets Sharon Carter, which results in a hit squad getting to Bucky before frozen Cap does.

I hope he enjoys his dance.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Bucky is a man frozen in time just like Steve. Passing the title to Sam is passing it to the new generation that can actually represent the modern "America".

And, as has been mentioned before, Bucky has the personality of a plank of wood. One of my pet peeves of the MCU, Sebastian Stan's performance has always irritated me, so lifeless. Don't @ me with "but he's been brainwashed!".

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In my mind Steve met up with Peggy, kept a quiet life and worked a regular job to keep things under wraps and hopefully not screw up time too much. That way icey Cap still gets rescued later on and no one but Peggy/ close friends knew the wiser.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible that Steve and Peggy lived in the Prime timeline and it was ALWAYS like that (and thus she was talking about him in the museum exhibit recording in Winter Soldier when she kept saying "my husband")... and that ALL the branched off alternate timelines DID in fact get pruned off by Cap's repair job tour, replacing the stones (as explained/illustrated by The Ancient One)?

The Mind Stone/scepter he could replace where it goes. With Shield I guess, even though he knows they'll immediately pass it along to Von Strucker.
The Reality Stone/Ether he could replace if he took Rocket's tool along Rocket told him what to do
The Soul Stone he'd have to give back to Red Skull, which he'd hate
The Power Stone just goes back in the thingy while Quill is still KO'd. Hopefully Steve brought a shrunk down spaceship along
The Time Stone he just hands back to The Ancient One
The Tesseract goes back in the base with Howard. Maybe minutes later. Yes, there's the matter of Loki still fooling around with it 40 years later in 2011, but that's a story for another day. This fall.

I don't think ANY alternate timelines necessarily need to exist now, do they?

EDIT: Oh wait, except that 2012 Thanos has now traveled to 2019 and got dusted before he could return. Welp. :(

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Old Cap let frozen Cap visit Peggy in the hospital while he played golf with Mjolnir, while changing Peggy Carter's family tree, meaning frozen Cap never meets Sharon Carter, which results in a hit squad getting to Bucky before frozen Cap does.

I hope he enjoys his dance.
Lmao!!!!!
That Mavel What If series better cover this.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's basically this. The main timeline is the one we follow through the MCU movies, the black line. Stones are taken, and branching timelines appear. Putting them back in place like Steve did, would close those branching timelines and it's like they would have never existed.

The problem is that the movie says that didn't happen.

When Peter Quill entered the temple to get the Power Stone in the Main MCU timeline he never got knocked out by Rhodey.

People are trying to apply the rules of Time Travel of Back to the Future to Endgame despite them literally saying nearly word for word that it doesn't work like Back to the Future.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017

Theres waaaaay too much branches for Cap to fix by simply giving the stones back.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
How does Sharon get assigned to spy on Steve and end up making out with him and never think you look just like my uncle.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
just finished

I can't read over 100 pages of thread

I assume Spiderman will explain how school systems handle this

And that their are students who didn't get snapped that are now adults and kids who were 11 that are now in the same grade as these unsnapped.

I do like that they didn't just time travel to wakanda and stop the snap from ever happening

have to deal with actual consequences still

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So did I miss something or was there no payoff to loki stealing the tesseract in this movie? Shouldn't that have changed the timeline?

Now that I think about it, remember in Ragnarok when Loki just materialized the Tessaract out of nowhere?

That's the payoff with him escaping with the Tessaract if you want to believe/it's not addressed in the Disney+ show.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Scott Lang didn't know, I don't think. He was operating on a 'You could become your own grandfather' theory of time travel, but Bruce was explaining that time would splinter when changes were made.

Bruce's theory explains returning the Infinity Stones and Mjolnir but I'm not sure how it explains Old Steve. Returning to the present time seems to require going through a doorway, so did he approach the Avengers in that alternate time and ask them to send him, as an old man, to the point he left?

What you bring up is correct.

Personally I was thinking of the previous conversation when he was trying to get across how the rig wasn't a time machine. He definitely had some sense that time travel wouldn't be the correct application of the set up but he didn't know how to get that across so he relented.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
In my mind Steve met up with Peggy, kept a quiet life and worked a regular job to keep things under wraps and hopefully not screw up time too much. That way icey Cap still gets rescued later on and no one but Peggy/ close friends knew the wiser.
I would love if the writers had the foresight to pull something off of this magnitude, and when you watch the old movies you realize there were glimpses of an older couple in the back ground details during various events.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, remember in Ragnarok when Loki just materialized the Tessaract out of nowhere?

That's the payoff with him escaping with the Tessaract if you want to believe/it's not addressed in the Disney+ show.

...What?

I'm assuming your talking about Infinity War.

In Ragnarok when he goes to revive Surtur he stops in front of the Tessaract.

IW then reveals that he took it and used his powers to hide it.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Is it possible that Steve and Peggy lived in the Prime timeline and it was ALWAYS like that (and thus she was talking about him in the museum exhibit recording in Winter Soldier when she kept saying "my husband")... and that ALL the branched off alternate timelines DID in fact get pruned off by Cap's repair job tour, replacing the stones (as explained/illustrated by The Ancient One)?

The Mind Stone/scepter he could replace where it goes. With Shield I guess, even though he knows they'll immediately pass it along to Von Strucker.
The Reality Stone/Ether he could replace if he took Rocket's tool along Rocket told him what to do
The Soul Stone he'd have to give back to Red Skull, which he'd hate
The Power Stone just goes back in the thingy while Quill is still KO'd. Hopefully Steve brought a shrunk down spaceship along
The Time Stone he just hands back to The Ancient One
The Tesseract goes back in the base with Howard. Maybe minutes later. Yes, there's the matter of Loki still fooling around with it 40 years later in 2011, but that's a story for another day. This fall.

I don't think ANY alternate timelines necessarily need to exist now, do they?

you're overthinking it. Occam's Razor.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rescue was about 25 times cooler than Captain Marvel in this movie 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tho when she tanked that head butt it was pretty hype

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that the movie says that didn't happen.

When Peter Quill entered the temple to get the Power Stone in the Main MCU timeline he never got knocked out by Rhodey.

People are trying to apply the rules of Time Travel of Back to the Future to Endgame despite them literally saying nearly word for word that it doesn't work like Back to the Future.
Yes. It's so funny that they specifically say this and people can't wrap their heads around it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
No.

There isn't. The movie established this. Sorry, but that's how it works.
It really doesn't work as clearly as you think because the movies main logic is you can't change the past in order to change the present or future. So returning stones to the past doesn't even deter the alternate realities from transpiring when they're removed to begin with.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible that Steve and Peggy lived in the Prime timeline and it was ALWAYS like that (and thus she was talking about him in the museum exhibit recording in Winter Soldier when she kept saying "my husband")... and that ALL the branched off alternate timelines DID in fact get pruned off by Cap's repair job tour, replacing the stones (as explained/illustrated by The Ancient One)?(

I can see this theory working, like Hidden Csp was always in the main timeline. After all, why Peggy had a picture from Steve in her desk in 1970? She should be married by that time.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
"Asgardians of the Galaxy"

-is my favorite line.

And Peter's inferiority complex is pure gold. Thor's fucking around with him is even better.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was fine until they showed Tony's daughter reacting to his last message.... and the cheeseburgers.

All that shit brought me down to a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.