• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Now that Endgame has had a re-release, at what stage are you that Avatar will remain #1 of all time?

• Acceptance

Votes: 142 68.9%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 64 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Avengers: Endgame is destroying presale records left and right.

It is on track to potentially make $1billion opening weekend worldwide, destroying the previous record of $640m set by Infinity War.
It will almost assuredly set a new record for highest grossing weekend in two territories when it opens this week (China and the US).
It is going to print money like nothing else this year will.

It will also still fall short of Avatar's worldwide gross.

We have several members in multiple threads saying that Avatar is going down. They think it is a foregone conclusion.

Humungus.jpg

So let's make this interesting. Who is willing to make an avatar bet with me about it? I say that Avatar will keep its crown as the highest grossing film worldwide.
If Avatar remains the champ by the end of the Endgame box office run, I win, and those that lose this bet have to wear an avatar of my choosing for 3 months.
However, if I lose, and Endgame becomes the new worldwide box office champ, the people that went in on the bet can collectively decide on an avatar that I will wear for 6 months.

Schlorgan , OwOtacon , and Pop-O-Matic have already said they are in and believe Endgame will take the crown.
Benji was saying it but once the possibility of a bet came up he backed off, so he is not as confident.

So what say you, Era? Who is willing to put their avatar on the line? Deadline for entering is by this Wednesday the 24th. I will then post the names of the future victims.

tumblr_ohfbhl1DgS1u2ragso2_500.gif

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
why are you so obcessed with this PhoncipleBone and more importantly, why are you trying to make bets going into it from the winning side? NOBODY out there is saying it will outgross Avatar and yet you keep pretending there is?

Like I dont get it, is this a meme?

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Im drunk as fuck but I'll make avatar bet on my fucking life about this. Avengers Endgame will beat the shit out of avatar.

#RocketIsTheBestAvenger
I bought telltale guardians or whatever the fuck just because of my undying love of Rocket.

Era I love you. I fucking love you. Im puking my guts out tommorow but I love you so fucking much

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
The stakes make no sense now that you have made a thread entirely about this. You will have way more power if you win the bet than if all the people betting against you win (you change all their avatars and they can only change yours, and a vote at that for them). If you are doing this and Endgame outgrosses Avatar, then it should be 1 month for each person betting against you. So if people 20 bet against you, that's 20 months that you're stuck on an avatar of their choosing.

Edit: just saw you choose their avatar for 3 months - so make it 3 months of your avatar for each person betting against you. Make it interesting. Otherwise all this confidence makes no sense :p

Last edited:

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
lemme think about it OP.

also would the avatar swap be permanent?

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The hardest choices require the strongest wills--wait, wrong thread.

I'm in. Avengers will beat Avatar.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Disney owns both now so its not really a competition.

It really depends if Endgame is a good/satisfying movie that people want to see over and over. Even if it is this summer is pretty packed so who knows.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
why are you so obcessed with this PhoncipleBone and more importantly, why are you trying to make bets going into it from the winning side? NOBODY out there is saying it will outgross Avatar and yet you keep pretending there is?

Like I dont get it, is this a meme?
Because it is all in good fun to make avatar bets.

And a quick glance at many of the threads talking about ticket sales for endgame have posts like these:

ADIOS AVATAR

TA TA TITANIC
It's going to beat Avatar, I'm sure of it.

Hell, it's almost as if people were in a DISCUSSION forum to DISCUSS things. One of those things happens to be sales.

I am simply livening up the conversation and finding some goofy fun in it is all.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In 2009, even people who didn't like sci-fi watched Avatar because was marketed as a revolution regarding 3D. These people who gave the movie the record (among others factors). Endgame don't have this. It's a superhero movie, and the end of a 10 year storyline. It will broke many records, and reach the second place, but will not attract people that aren't already invested in MCU.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, the bets are off.
1 guy having some anime avatar for 6 months vs x people having anime avatars for 3 months. So you potentially change this forums reputation over some measly 1 person 6 months avatar change.

OP, I say, you go permanent or go home.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Wait, the bets are off.
1 guy having some anime avatar for 6 months vs x people having anime avatars for 3 months. So you potentially change this forums reputation over some measly 1 person 6 months avatar change.

OP, I say, you go permanent or go home.
Please. I am not that mean that I would give anyone an anime avatar. That is just too cruel and unusual to do to anyone.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Domestic, it's possible. Too early to tell - Avatar had a lot of rewatches. A-List and Sinema make it easier for a lot of customers to watch multiple films compared to even this time last year.

Worldwide, now that's a tough nut to crack. I'll be shocked if Endgame does collectively better in foreign markets than Avatar.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
But, like... why is this such a thing. Damn. If it were like a small time movie that was expected to be far more successful than planned, but this is like who of these incredibly rich things is gonna get even richer?

For real??

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Feb 1, 2018
Texas
Anyway, beating Avatar isn't in the cards realistically, but I do believe Endgame definitely can beat Titanic.

Or is that opinion still too controversial?

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think about what you just wrote and now look at what the topic is about.

Marvel movies being pretty much a sure thing in terms of success doesn't really negate what I wrote. I can enjoy seeing marvel movies do well even if I know they will. I knew captain marvel would do well, yet I still enjoyed seeing it reach a billion dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.