• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
So, yesterday, Marvel wrapped up their newest weekly comics event, Avengers: No Road Home. Seemingly, to little fanfare, which is criminal, because it and its predecessor, Avengers: No Surrender, are some of the absolute greatest Avengers epics ever put to the page.

It's really easy to be cynical about comics. I'm a huge fan and I try to be an optimist, because even though editorial usually fucks things up more often than not, I feel like the writers and artists really do put a lot of effort and care into the work they do. So I try to approach stuff without an open mind, especially when it's by creators I enjoy. And these events have a great team of creators.

So, I'm not going to spoil the stories at all, but if you're not familiar, No Surrender and No Road Home are weekly events. As such, three writers (Al Ewing da gawd, Mark Waid, and Jim Zub) and a rotating team of artists (Pepe Larraz da art gawd, Kim Jacinto, Paco Medina, and Sean Izaakse) are necessary to plan it all out and illustrate it, and share the load. The stories are sweeping, with loads of wonderful characters, large stakes, beautiful art, and seriously some of the best character work in comics. Some of the characterizations and interactions in No Road Home are among the best I can remember in Marvel comics. If you watch Endgame and you're interested in picking up some comics to read, I wholeheartedly recommend these two. No Road Home should be hitting trade shortly, and No Surrender is already available.

I'm really sad that these have been dismissed. Weekly series are largely miss, in my experience, and the numbering, particularly on No Road Home (which is really a miniseries with a different team of Avengers, but they include Legacy numbering concurrent with Jason Aaron's main Avengers run), has led some point to shrug the book off. Also, No Road Home

introduces Conan the Barbarian into main Marvel continuity for real

Which had some enthusiasts groaning. But it plays SO WELL, and the creative team has so much love for the source material, it oozes out of the page.

Please give these a chance. I really hope more are on the way, and when you've got a comic fan actually asking for MORE of a certain event, I think you can agree that something's being done right.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Crom and Hyberoa was already in marvel history. Crom even had beef with Odin

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard No Surrender was quite good, I might pick up the trade or buy it digital for cheap. I've more or less dropped out of monthly comics entirely now so I didn't even know they were doing another weekly book.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed both series a lot, and I really do hope we get more. Ewing, Zub, and Waid have a good rhythm going.