• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I remember something about Monster Hunter World not being available in Xbox One in Japan or something like that, but I can't really think anything more than that.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
So Microsoft can buy any publisher because Sony has more market share. Sony can't outbid Microsoft on any studio because Microsoft is one of the richest companies on the planet and now Sony can't even make any deals with Japanese developers because they don't sell many consoles in Japan. Nintendo basically has a monopoly in Japan.

So much for we just want to expand gaming. Sounds like they want to use their war chest to crush Sony.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Eh. Even if we, unlike these representatives, include Nintendo a duopoly in Japan going unregulated and one of the companies making the most anticipated game in Japan for like the past two years exclusive (specifically targeting Xbox) would receive a lot of criticism from this forum if it was any other industry.

Microsoft did not agree to this. They fought pretty hard against it, Sony agreed with it though.
They publicly denied it but im fairly certain their written statements echoed it. Just another example of everyone involved talking out of their ass

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like regardless of whether you even buy into this rhetoric, Sony opened themselves up for this after their silly behavior during this whole ABK saga. I'd be surprised if this leads to much of anything substantial though, Japan never cared much about Xbox.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Stating the obvious is console warring now?

I can understand that this part is damning, but that does not necessarily mean that it's obvious. If it was a bit more blatant, I would be criticizing Microsoft as well.

While Microsoft isn't saying just how involved it was in orchestrating this push, its government affairs team has discussed these issues with members of Congress, Axios understands

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
IDK what would even be the ask. Just not allowing Sony to secure exclusive game contracts? Studios could still make exclusives, if they chose to, but just not sign exclusive deals like with Deathloop, Ghostwire, FFVII, etc, if those games can be made on an Xbox? Like how else can "non-discriminatory treatment of digital products" be applied? Just Japanese studios? Just distribution in Japan (meaning you could sell a Japanese version of FFVII on Xbox...? lol)

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
It is extremely funny how we have somehow gone from Sony abandoning Japan and being doomed there, to becoming some kind of domestic juggernaut virtually overnight.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
have those congress people ever seen a japanese sales chart in the last 5 years?

Sony themselves barely register over there.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
They publicly denied it but im fairly certain their written statements echoed it. Just another example of everyone involved talking out of their ass
Microsoft had internal documents (as well as testimony in the Epic/Apple case) that showed that they competed with Sony and Nintendo, but Nintendo "to a much lesser degree".

Microsoft fought hard to include Nintendo because it would've been an easy slam dunk to show that a platform doesn't need CoD to be successful. Sony said Nintendo was for kids and serve a different audience than Sony/Microsoft.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This specific thing likely doesn't matter. However, it definitely seems like a canary in a coal mine in regard to regulators and the games industry. After this whole ABK business, Sony and Microsoft have aired enough dirty laundry that I have a feeling EU/UK regulators might take a deeper look into the game industry and its practices.
Nah. This is just MS being extremely desperate to have some publicity wins to close ABK deal. MS not supplying Japan with more than 15 units/month vs Sony struggling to chart in top 10 games list in declining home console market is not exactly a fierce competition.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Setting it up so when Microsoft puts in the offer on both Capcom and Square Enix, the Japanese government will have to let it happen.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's alleged interference with Microsoft's Xbox efforts in Japan?

Is this related to ABK or is Microsoft having lawmakers proactively raise an issue before Microsoft announces another acquisition?

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
i do wonder what business practices they're referring to then because...it does somewhat reek of lobbying, especially considering all that's going on with the AB acquisition

It could very well be lobbying, but we don't know yet. I would rather wait until one of the center says "we were talking to Microsoft and —" instead of some of these remarks that sound like angry Sony only folks.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I can understand that this part is damning, but that does not necessarily mean that it's obvious. If it was a bit more blatant, I would be criticizing Microsoft as well.
They arent denying it is enough. For most people to realize that this is clearly a lobbying full court press and I dont think anyone can be denying this, id be saying the same thing if a congress person was coming out in support of sony directly or nintendo. Its all lobbying which has been a totally insidious industry esp in the US.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Nah. This is just MS being extremely desperate to have some publicity wins to close ABK deal. MS not supplying Japan with more than 15 units/month vs Sony struggling to chart in top 10 games list in declining home console market is not exactly a fierce competition.
Well, these regulators are viewing this from the "high end console market" that the FTC, CMA, and EC laid out. In that case, Sony dominates like 98% in Japan. In any other market a company with "98%" market share that is buying the most anticipated product for that market in that region would be superrrr anti-competitive.

Of course, there are more things to consider like Nintendo but none of this exactly surprises me. I expect at the very least an EU investigation into the gaming industry in the future, especially since the EU the "high end console market" is 80/20 PlayStation.

Sep 13, 2022
I mean Sony kind of got this ball rolling with their duck tales to the regulators.

Not sure if this will go anywhere but here for the ride none the less.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
It seems that they are preparing the ground to buy a Japanese company.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well, these regulators are viewing this from the "high end console" market that the FTC, CMA, and EC laid out. In that case, Sony dominates like 98% in Japan. In any other market a company with "98%" market share that is buying the most anticipated product for that market in that region would be superrrr anti-competitive.

Of course, there are more things to consider like Nintendo but none of this exactly surprises me. I expect at the very least an EU investigation into the gaming industry in the future.

"We want a bigger share of the 60,000 'high-end console' units sold per week in Japan" is a pretty pathetic thing to go to war over. Like nobody in Japan wants to buy expensive consoles or software to play on them right now. It's a dead market.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
While Microsoft isn't saying just how involved it was in orchestrating this push, its government affairs team has discussed these issues with members of Congress, Axios understands
It's quite obvious what Microsoft is trying to do here that even Stephen makes the connection in his tweet thread lol.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why, since I care so little about this in the grand scheme of things, but all this console war nonsense between the two really stress me out.
Sorry. I know that's probably really weird and off topic, I was hype for the acquisition to succeed/fail soon, so I'd hopefully have to see shit like this less.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
What are they going to do to make the market in Japan more favorable for Xbox? They had actual JRPG in the platform and not on PS and changed nothing lol

MS lobbies in full force, the classic

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
$110 billion dollar market cap Sony is getting too big against trillion dollar MS lol Yeah this is a joke. Not Sonys fault is Japanese consumers don't care about Xbox.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft had internal documents (as well as testimony in the Epic/Apple case) that showed that they competed with Sony and Nintendo, but Nintendo "to a much lesser degree".

Microsoft fought hard to include Nintendo because it would've been an easy slam dunk to show that a platform doesn't need CoD to be successful. Sony said Nintendo was for kids and serve a different audience than Sony/Microsoft.
Sorry this is what i meant. Basically saying what they needed to say to their audience bssed on what they wanted them to hear. They weren't consistent with what they were saying. Sony doubling down seems to have screwed them here although there has to be some real evidence to make a claim like this

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
They have a point. The ABK deal is essentially what Sony is doing in Japan. They are obviously the leader in the Market Sony defined and likely gained that foothold due to those exclusivity contracts. If Microsoft doesn't matter in Japan why pay to make sure they don't get games . If it's okay for those games to be exclusive then why wouldn't it be for CoD in the west?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's quite obvious what Microsoft is trying to do here that even Stephen makes the connection in his tweet thread lol.
I mean even this article came out damn near a year ago.
www.wsj.com

How Microsoft Became Washington’s Favorite Tech Giant

President Brad Smith has taken an amicable role with regulators. Rivals say he also directs negative attention toward them. Microsoft’s Activision deal, under FTC review, will test the strategy.

its not any secret.

GlobeGamer

Aug 26, 2021
I see this as MS setting up the stepping stones for them for to acquire a Japanese Video Company in the future.