g.a.u

Oct 31, 2017
if this can delay ff16 then release xbox and pc at the same time later then go for it

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is being temporarily locked in order to review a large number of reports

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is being re-opened now that we have caught up on reports. Try and get your points across without antagonizing others.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The most interesting thing to me is that Microsoft seemingly pressured lawmakers to go after Japan, but Japan is pretty hands off except for their national security companies (Can we please stop saying Japan would block any merger Microsoft would do? If that were true, that would be a legit concern from the US). The EU is a much smarter play if Microsoft does want regulators to crackdown on Sony's exclusive practices. There is a 80/20 split there, I believe the EC agrees with the "high-performance console market" definition, and the EU is far more likely to regulate stuff than the Japanese government IMO.

Well yesterday, they launched a new guideline package to address areas of exclusionary abuse of dominance.

This quote in particular seems to be very directed at gaming (even if it's not). Regulators have already determined that console gaming has a strong network effect (and seemingly a very high barrier of entry since regulators also determined that there are unlikely going to be new console makers anytime soon):
For example, the Communication clarifies that in markets characterised by network effects or other high barriers to entry, it may investigate practices by a dominant company which are capable of foreclosing competitors that are not (yet) as efficient as the dominant company. In addition, the Communication clarifies that it may investigate cases where a dominant firm imposes unfair access conditions to a particular input (so-called "constructive refusal to supply"), even if there is no evidence that such input is indispensable
ec.europa.eu

Press corner

Highlights, press releases and speeches

They're calling for feedback and I have to imagine Microsoft lawyers are ringing up their phones. Interesting times for the industry ahead.

Last edited:

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Honestly if it was any other company they may of had a point. But Microsoft?, they would do anything to protect their dominant markets in computing software and they have just bought 2 major publishers to pull games off another platform.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
The most interesting thing to me is that Microsoft seemingly pressured lawmakers to go after Japan, but Japan is pretty hands off except for their national security companies (Can we please stop saying Japan would block any merger Microsoft would do? If that were true, that would be a legit concern from the US). The EU is a much smarter play if Microsoft does want regulators to crackdown on Sony's exclusive practices. There is a 80/20 split there, I believe the EC agrees with the "high-performance console market" definition, and the EU is far more likely to regulate stuff than the Japanese government IMO.

Well yesterday, they launched a new guideline package to address areas of exclusionary abuse of dominance:

ec.europa.eu

Press corner

They're calling for feedback and I have to imagine Microsoft lawyers are ringing up their phones. Interesting times for the industry ahead.
So it sounds like ABK deal may go down in history as not only the biggest deal made in gaming but possibly the start of change in the industry instead.

Although I still think Sony buying Bungie and allowing them to be multi platform may factor into future acquisitions in the future.

Feb 19, 2023
It only backfires because the world is run by US.

Per Idas:

But complaining to the agencies also have risks:

- Third-party materials and testimonies that now are confidential could become public
- It's not cheap :p
- You are wasting time that could be spend on your business
- It's a one-way flow of information (the regulators will not provide a complaining third party with info about the investigation)
- It could affect future acquisitions: regulators could use arguments and information submitted by Sony in the future (market definitions, for example)

So, I understand what Sony is doing and it makes sense from their perspective. But if the trend of the industry is consolidation, they'll have to make more acquisitions too. And being so aggressive now could have unintended consequences in a few years...

No matter how you slice it, Sony drastically overplayed their hand.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Kinda funny that a pretty much European governance of US based SIE gave ammo to the congress for a trade deal with Jp
Jp trade minister probably woke up asking what the fuck happened
You'll probably gonna get a Midwest sirloin tariff removed or something

LDNStateOfMind

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Am I misremembering something here, didn't the CMA omit Nintendo because the internal docs MS supplied them omitted Nintendo?

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Per Idas:

I do not care how Sony overplay or underplay their hands. This lobbying is some nationalistic garbage when Microsoft made 0 efforts to not just the Japanese market but also the Asia market.

Put aside Sony themselves has a poor result there in Japan this gen, successful AAA Japanese games in the West are mainly made with white main characters for the audience.

Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid etc.

Wake me up when Microsoft put in equivalent efforts for the Japanese audience beyond a couple jrpg exclusives in their best era.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Sure both can be true, but are they? They have moneyhatted a couple of games - most for a franchise that is already largely linked to PlayStation anyway - and that's basically it?

The cultural barrier and general apathy from Xbox in the past is much more the reason than PlayStation is my argument.

The problem with this line of arguing though, is that you basically argue that the more dominant an entity is, and as such the closer to being an actual monopoly they are, the more excusable actions that deprive competitors become, because that's where the audience already is. It's easy to argue basically any multiplatform IP as being linked to PlayStation... because PlayStation is by default the dominant platform for 3rd party games. This is what made the whole RotR drama so ridiculous. Everyone was falling over themselves to say the reason why this specific example was unacceptable is because it was historically linked to PlayStation. Which is like... no shit it was after Sony paid to ensure the IP couldn't be on any other console for a full generation.

Even if exclusivity isn't the primary reason for Xbox not doing well in Japan, using a more dominant market position to systematically target a smaller platform in order to ensure it doesn't find an audience is a classic example of anticompetitive behavior. Relative market positions are important context here, because clearly a weaker platform signing a deal can't have the same "foreclosure" effect on a dominant platform, and a dominant platform shouldn't have the need to aggressively target a weaker platform in that same manner. If exclusivity isn't causing Xbox to fail in Japan, then why is Sony constantly targeting them with it?

That's the reason why Nintendo gets to sit on the sidelines without finding themselves embroiled in all this, even at the heights of their successes.... because (with the exclusion of the NES days) they don't act like they're trying to furiously stamp out the smallest market competitor.

Feb 19, 2023
I do not care how Sony overplay or underplay their hands. This lobbying is some nationalistic garbage when Microsoft made 0 efforts to not just the Japanese market but also the Asia market.

Put aside Sony themselves has a poor result there in Japan this gen, successful AAA Japanese games in the West are mainly made with white main characters for the audience.

Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid etc.

Wake me up when Microsoft put in equivalent efforts for the Japanese audience beyond a couple jrpg exclusives in their best era.

You're overthinking things.

This has nothing to do with any of the aforementioned, but moreso Microsoft using Sony's contrived "high-performance console market" against them for political points. Nothing more.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
do they know Japan has its own regulators that take care of this?
There is a reason the ABK deal got approved there without too many issues

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
They gonna ask Jim Ryan if the PS5 connects to your home wifi

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Per Idas:

You do understand the same goes for every company that goes through regulatory acquisitions, sony already had to deal with that with the FTC and the bungie buy as well, also Microsoft had to submit tons of documentation, are now agreeing with concessions that are now legally binding etc.

On top of that you keep spreading the misinformation that sony were the ones that created this market. The market slice was determined by the CMA first based on documentation they saw From Microsoft where it showed they were not following nintendo as closely as they did sony, and the FTC also adopted the same market definition.

Yoga Flame

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 8, 2022
This just sounds….so stupid…. Especially Nintendo is wiping the floor with both of them. They had nearly 20 years to establish some kind of foothold on the market. This is the oddest form of lobbying I've ever seen.
It's impacting Xbox content in other markets, it's very much something that needs to be looked into. Ultimately the decision is up to JFTC but getting more regulatory oversight is always a good thing.

Yoga Flame

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 8, 2022
On top of that you keep spreading the misinformation that sony were the ones that created this market. The market slice was determined by the CMA first based on documentation they saw From Microsoft where it showed they were not following nintendo as closely as they did sony, and the FTC also adopted the same market definition.
I don't know where to begin.... Even if we take you at face value Sony doubled down on it and convinced others that it's a valid market separation.

And CMA initial talking points mirrored Sony's talking points that CADE published. Go back and read the CMA PF, they used Sony response to form thier SLC

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
It's impacting Xbox content in other markets, it's very much something that needs to be looked into. Ultimately the decision is up to JFTC but getting more regulatory oversight is always a good thing.

If there is an information that Sony is using it's market position to force Japanese companies to sign exclusive deals, may be you are right.

But there is also another possibility. Sony and Japanese publishers are independent companies and they can make deals if they both have mutual interest and benefits. If Microsoft is using politics to block Sony's deals with other Japanese Publishers this may backfires and hurt Microsoft image in Japan.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Feb 19, 2023
You do understand the same goes for every company that goes through regulatory acquisitions, sony already had to deal with that with the FTC and the bungie buy as well, also Microsoft had to submit tons of documentation, are now agreeing with concessions that are now legally binding etc.

Your first paragraph is wholly irrelevant to what you're quoting.

What I'm saying is not misinformation and has been posted by hundreds of people on this forum over the past week alone. Just because Sony wasn't the first one to utter the actual term "HPM," that doesn't negate their tactical usage of the contrived term to argue their reasoning for blocking the deal, which they've done handedly to multiple countries. They've also said the same thing in other words previously. I've also said, over a dozen times, both Sony and the FTC created this narrative.

Yoga Flame

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 8, 2022
You arent people are selectively applying it and it's been misinformation this whole time. This is exactly the origins of it. And that was their justification.

Sony made the claim, MS said that's nonsense, CMA inspected MS internal docs and saw MS speaks about Sony more so which they said gives weight to SONY'S argument. CMA then used that as part of their PF. MS have comprehensive reasons why CMA and Sony were wrong, and Sony responded that "MS wants to make us like Nintendo"

www.videogameschronicle.com

Sony claims Microsoft’s ‘true strategy’ is to ‘make PlayStation like Nintendo’ | VGC

The company argues that Xbox will become the home of FPS games if its Activision deal is approved…

"Microsoft claims that Nintendo's differentiated model demonstrates that PlayStation doesn't need Call of Duty to compete effectively. But this reveals Microsoft's true strategy," SIE's statement reads. "Microsoft wants PlayStation to become like Nintendo, so that it would be a less close and effective competitor to Xbox.
"Ignoring these facts, Microsoft argues that Nintendo has been successful without access to Call of Duty," it continued. "This misses the point. The Decision identifies a wide body of evidence showing that Nintendo offers a differentiated experience to Xbox and PlayStation because it is focused on family-friendly games that are very different from PEGI 18 FPS games like Call of Duty.

"This is supported by Microsoft's internal documents, which, so the CMA found, show that: "In general, Microsoft's internal documents track PlayStation more closely than Nintendo, with Nintendo often being absent from any internal competitive assessment".

Let's not mischaracterised events

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know where to begin.... Even if we take you at face value Sony doubled down on it and convinced others that it's a valid market separation.

And CMA initial talking points mirrored Sony's talking points that CADE published. Go back and read the CMA PF, they used Sony response to form thier SLC
You dont have to take me at face value, I read the documents. The entire definition came from the CMA. And CADE had different critieria, they ONLY considered the traditional way of looking at mergers which is solely consumer impact. I read them. You all conflate these things as if they are working in concert for something and its not the case.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Wait, you realize that could still be a concern, right?

This is being reviewed by regulators and the DOJ:
economictimes.indiatimes.com

'Google pays enormous sums to ensure search-engine dominance'

DOJ attorney Kenneth Dintzer didn't disclose how much Google spends to be the default search engine on most browsers and all US mobile phones, but described the payments as "enormous numbers."

You are generally right, but in your particular example, Google secures literally full monopoly on Mobile Browsers.

Sony's deals with Square Enix for example are no different than Microsoft's deals for STALKER 2 or ARK 2 and etc.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
But there is also another possibility. Sony and Japanese publishers are independent companies and they can make deals if they both have mutual interest and benefits.
it's free market only if you buy third party publishers. It's anticompetitive and anti consumer when you sign third party deals for some timed exclusives.

It's really impressive how Microsoft managed to spin the narrative of Sony being a huge unbreakable monopoly while at the same time spending over a half of Sony's market share on buying third party.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Sony made the claim, MS said that's nonsense, CMA inspected MS internal docs and saw MS speaks about Sony more so which they said gives weight to SONY'S argument. CMA then used that as part of their PF. MS have comprehensive reasons why CMA and Sony were wrong, and Sony responded that "MS wants to make us like Nintendo"

Sony claims Microsoft’s ‘true strategy’ is to ‘make PlayStation like Nintendo’ | VGC

The company argues that Xbox will become the home of FPS games if its Activision deal is approved…

You are mischaracterizing it though. Sony did not coin the term high performance consoles etc. and the CMA had evidence to then carve it out as such.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
For me simply if playstation did not exist in japan, xbox still wouldn't be doing much better. Square and Capcom would just pivot to doing smaller titles for the switch and maybe PC stuff. The claims that Sony is hurting xbox in Japan I believe to be completely and utterly false, which is essentially what the premise of the thread is about. Could maybe make the argument for Europe, but Japan? Nah.

Sony has even decreased their focus on japan. We have had numerous threads about this. A lot of games don't even release on playstation, they are focused on switch and pc, and maybe release on playstation later. They are doing a really really bad job if they are trying to establsh some form of monolopy. Its ridiculous. Japan simply doesn't care about xbox for a variety of reasons.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
You are generally right, but in your particular example, Google secures literally full monopoly on Mobile Browsers.

Sony's deals with Square Enix for example are no different than Microsoft's deals for STALKER 2 or ARK 2 and etc.
If the concern is Japanese market, specifically with "high performance" consoles. Sony's deals with Square Enix are probably a bigger deal than Google search on Safari, especially since users can still change the default search engine, Xbox users only option to play FF16 is to get a PS5.

Oct 30, 2017
A serious acquisition of a Japanese publisher by either Sony or MS would absolutely draw Nintendo into the conversation.

The high end console business in Japan is such an irrelevant piece of the market comparatively to where the actual money resides.

The terms of such an acquisition would shift dramatically and would not need to operate under the same lens at ABK.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Again, they didn't need to "coin the term" if they were still using that argument previously. That's goalpost moving if I ever saw it.
Again. The CMA used it first.

look at the timeline.

The CMA issues statement came out in October Responses that you all say sony argued about previously did not come out before the CMA's issues statement.
So where exactly were they using this argument Before the CMA said so?

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
You are mischaracterizing it though. Sony did not coin the term high performance consoles etc. and the CMA had evidence to then carve it out as such.

I mean, you can dance around the semantics as much as you like, but Sony literally argued that bringing COD to Nintendo systems was meaningless because they don't compete within the same sphere. Who uttered a specific phrase first makes no difference here. Sony drove home the High-Performance Console narrative at every turn and it stuck as a metric that MS then had to justify potential COD foreclosure against. Now that MS has successfully done so, that definition and argument that Sony worked so hard to drill home hasn't simply evaporated.

I don't know what you're arguing so hard for who "coined" it, when there's been literally hundreds of pages of discussions, that you were part of, where we saw precisely which entities argued for and against the definition.

Yoga Flame

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 8, 2022
Read above, Sony came up with the idea, and then argued for it. They may not have coined the term but they were instrumental in defining it. No other party made this argument. Tell me, from what we know, who was pushing for this separation, Sony or MS? The evidence is widely available.

Focusing on who coined it is a strawman.

Feb 19, 2023

Now he's trying to argue that Sony didn't coin the term "HPM" so they didn't have a hand in anything, despite their previous arguments being virtually the same thing.

I mean, you can dance around the semantics as much as you like, but Sony literally argued that bringing COD to Nintendo systems was meaningless because they don't compete within the same sphere. Who uttered a specific phrase first makes no difference here. Sony drove home the High-Performance Console narrative at every turn and it stuck as a metric that MS then had to justify potential COD foreclosure against. Now that MS has successfully done so, that definition and argument that Sony worked so hard to drill home hasn't simply evaporated.

I don't know what you're arguing so hard for who "coined" it, when there's been literally hundreds of pages of discussions, that you were part of, where we saw precisely which entities argued for and against the definition.

Read above, Sony came up with the idea, and then argued for it. They may not have coined the term but they were instrumental in defining it. Tell me, from what we know, who was pushing for this separation, Sony or MS? The evidence is widely available.

Focusing on who coined it is a strawman.

Precisely, thank you.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
For me simply if playstation did not exist in japan, xbox still wouldn't be doing much better. Square and Capcom would just pivot to doing smaller titles for the switch and maybe PC stuff. The claims that Sony is hurting xbox in Japan I believe to be completely and utterly false, which is essentially what the premise of the thread is about. Could maybe make the argument for Europe, but Japan? Nah.

Sony has even decreased their focus on japan. We have had numerous threads about this. A lot of games don't even release on playstation, they are focused on switch and pc, and maybe release on playstation later. They are doing a really really bad job if they are trying to establsh some form of monolopy. Its ridiculous. Japan simply doesn't care about xbox for a variety of reasons.

If that were the case, then Sony would completely ignore Xbox within Japan, just as Nintendo does. They do not, and have not however... and so yes, Sony has hurt Xbox in Japan, consistently. It does not matter if they would not have been successful anyways. Actions were taken that have made them perform worse.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Well yesterday, they launched a new guideline package to address areas of exclusionary abuse of dominance.

This quote in particular seems to be very directed at gaming (even if it's not). Regulators have already determined that console gaming has a strong network effect (and seemingly a very high barrier of entry since regulators also determined that there are unlikely going to be new console makers anytime soon):

ec.europa.eu

Press corner

Interesting......😁

Per Idas:

exactly. They sure did..

Last edited:

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
If that were the case, then Sony would completely ignore Xbox within Japan, just as Nintendo does. They do not, and have not however... and so yes, Sony has hurt Xbox in Japan, consistently. It does not matter if they would not have been successful anyways. Actions were taken that have made them perform worse.
Can you list them for the sake of your argument? Because I can point to numerous self-inflicted wounds Microsoft has done in the past past.