Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Just started watching it and yeah it's very good. Super awkward and uncomfortable so far. Great acting.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
I would highly recommend just watching it. There is a content warning at the front of the episode that should be taken heed of if it's the sort of thing you can't stomach.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I watched two episodes and thought it was funny. Spoke to people at work who had watched the whole thing and said I thought it was a funny show and they all gave me an odd/concerned look. Then I watched the rest of the show and holy fuck, it's not funny anymore and i spent today explaining to the worried people that I'd only watched a bit... Ffs
Yeah it goes from funny to fucked up real fast.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone just spoil to me what happens in the show and why it's so bleak and why episode 4 is so great?

The show is about a man dealing with a stalker, and it breaks down how things got that way, and what he's doing to get out of the situation. But instead of just solely demonizing said stalker, it does also show how he played a part in it in ignoring the blatant red flags (not as in victim blaming, he has numerous voiceovers explaining his thoughts throughout the entire show, some of which has him critical towards himself), as well as finding moments to sympathize with the stalker due to them clearly being mentally unwell. What also makes the show strike a particular chord with viewers is that this show is not just based on a true story, but the lead actor is literally the person that went through these events.

It's bleak because well, dealing with a serious stalker is still genuinely terrifying, one example is her sending literally hundreds if not thousands of emails to him, among other troubling things.

As for Episode 4, it's less about it being "great" and more that the subject matter is just really dark stuff, in that
he was repeatedly drugged and sexually assaulted by a man who was mentoring him in becoming a better comedian. They don't explicitly show anything, but it's enough for you to get the picture and as such it is extremely disturbing. The entire episode is basically a flashback that essentially sheds some light on how the sexual assault partly informs how he has been passive in handling his stalker in the present day.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Episode 1-3: Wow this is really good.
Episode 4 onwards: omg

Episode 6 had me tearing up. I can see some awards coming its way in the future.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
The "stalker" has gone public & is going to do TV interview today to tell their side of the story.

Pity it's Piers Morgan doing the interview but maybe that tells us something's about the real Martha.
I despise Morgan as much as anyone but it was a very telling interview. He leaned on her just hard enough. She came across as completely unhinged and very much like the woman that she claims not to be in the show. The section where she refuses to tell him what qualifications she earned in university was particularly bizarre. It is definitely worth watching.

Of course, she claims to have not even watched the series, though knows everything that happens in it.

p1geon

Jun 2, 2023
I don't know how I feel about the show and I'm kinda in two minds.

The show is fantastic as a piece of entertainment.

However I kinda hate the real story aspect of it, I hate that I watched Piers Morgan interview a woman that's clearly unwell. I hate that they've obviously exaggerated and or straight up made up stuff to do with Martha which makes me feel uncomfortable.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dropped out of this after episode 6, it was too uncomfortable for me and the story started to go around in loops. I had someone tell me what happens in the final 2 episodes and I'm glad I didn't watch it. Martha is obviously ill but, to be honest, isn't mentally healthy as well. It makes for a very disturbing watch.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Not happy with myself for giving him a view, but the curiosity got the best of me and I watched the Piers interview.

Firstly, I thought the way Piers interviewed her and tried putting words in her mouth to try and get a big "admission" for his show was disgusting, but really not surprising for Piers.

Secondly, she's quite obviously lying throughout the whole interview, and obviously unwell.

I think it's very irresponsible for the media to give her airtime. It's not going to help her and the pressure and spotlight for her are going to be even worse for her mental health.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed this but it is really heavy on the narrating/monologuing. Like, if the main character lays down in bed and it's narrated "I laid in bed thinking..." I think there could've been some more revisions to the final draft.

Anyway, powerful story regardless.

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed this but it is really heavy on the narrating/monologuing. Like, if the main character lays down in bed and it's narrated "I laid in bed thinking..." I think there could've been some more revisions to the final draft.

Anyway, powerful story regardless.

I get what you mean but I think that's more a remnant/thematically tied into the stage show this is adapted from.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
The first episode gave me very bad vibes and I dropped it. I'd be interested in seeing how the lawsuit pans out with the woman. To me it seemed like he led her on really hard. I don't know what is claimed past the first episode though.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I get what you mean but I think that's more a remnant/thematically tied into the stage show this is adapted from.

Yeah you're right. With the context that this was an adaptation from the original show does make some of its direction/writing choices more understandable. I wonder if some passages from the stage script were directly adapted to the show. This just makes me want to watch the stage version lol.

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
The first episode gave me very bad vibes and I dropped it. I'd be interested in seeing how the lawsuit pans out with the woman. To me it seemed like he led her on really hard. I don't know what is claimed past the first episode though.

Mate you have no idea… and also it's not just about that. Keep watching.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

It's actually really good at showing how he acknowledges that, and deals with the consequences. Fully admitting there's an element of fault and some sort of twisted co-dependence. It's well worth sticking with

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I have been stalked and harassed so I have been avoiding watching this despite everyone around me talking about it for weeks... I didn't watch the interview with the woman, but seeing that was being discussed made me realise this really wasn't going to die down for a while. So I thought fuck it, let's get this over with.

Watched the whole thing in one sitting, I'm not a binge watcher and don't tend to do that.
I held it together until episode 6 and the confession.

It's something that sits in your head every day of your life no matter what you're doing. I stopped all of my social media, left the country, and cut off all contact. Before I left I was getting letters to which I would burn and not read because I would not respond online.
And despite most of my head thinking, this forum is not a space they would ever know about. Your name isn't attached. Part of me still thinks they must be there, still watching.

I'll never forget when I deleted my completely inactive for a near a decade Facebook, before getting an email from Linkedin, and it was them viewing my profile. It was instantaneous, they must have been refreshing my page for 8 years non stop. Then I went nuclear on every shred of me online. But I know they'll still be looking, and will probably find a way.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
When you realize the main actor is playing himself and reacting out all of his real life trauma.

Kind of mind blowing and wow just speechless for a second when I put that together.

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
I have been stalked and harassed so I have been avoiding watching this despite everyone around me talking about it for weeks... I didn't watch the interview with the woman, but seeing that was being discussed made me realise this really wasn't going to die down for a while. So I thought fuck it, let's get this over with.

Watched the whole thing in one sitting, I'm not a binge watcher and don't tend to do that.
I held it together until episode 6 and the confession.

It's something that sits in your head every day of your life no matter what you're doing. I stopped all of my social media, left the country, and cut off all contact. Before I left I was getting letters to which I would burn and not read because I would not respond online.
And despite most of my head thinking, this forum is not a space they would ever know about. Your name isn't attached. Part of me still thinks they must be there, still watching.

I'll never forget when I deleted my completely inactive for a near a decade Facebook, before getting an email from Linkedin, and it was them viewing my profile. It was instantaneous, they must have been refreshing my page for 8 years non stop. Then I went nuclear on every shred of me online. But I know they'll still be looking, and will probably find a way.

God this is harrowing - I'm so sorry you're been through that and are still going through it. 😢

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished this yesterday. Man those last two episodes were a tour de force of acting from Gadd. Specifically the breakdown on stage and then again with his parents.

Dude deserves some awards.

Oct 29, 2017
I want to start this by saying I don't mean to come across confrontational in any way, because I understand you haven't seen the whole show (and may never do so) but I personally know people who have been in situations like this, and when they've told me their stories and opened up, they have couched it in 'well I was flirting' or 'I should have been firmer i wasn't interested' despite talking to them for a long time, or remaining friends, flirting - now, I'm trying to be careful and sensitive to the point here, but I don't believe you'd be the sort of person who'd consider this 'leading on' in a away which would justify what someone in this case has gone through.

The show is incredibly nuanced and discusses everything in great detail. I feel most will leave the show with some sympathy for Matha - but that doesn't excuse anything she did, nor does it make Gadd the blame for his own stalking and sexual assault. We don't have to struggle in everything to find heroes and villains, but there's very little excusing what Gadd has been through, even if there are explanations for it.

And I do find this whole circus around lawsuits and interviews particularly distasteful. I'm tempted to suggest Gadd should have had the wherewithal to change even more of the piece to the point where it would have been impossible to find 'Martha', but I'm not in the place to tell a victim what they should or shouldn't do, that's what I'd say there.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I want to start this by saying I don't mean to come across confrontational in any way, because I understand you haven't seen the whole show (and may never do so) but I personally know people who have been in situations like this, and when they've told me their stories and opened up, they have couched it in 'well I was flirting' or 'I should have been firmer i wasn't interested' despite talking to them for a long time, or remaining friends, flirting - now, I'm trying to be careful and sensitive to the point here, but I don't believe you'd be the sort of person who'd consider this 'leading on' in a away which would justify what someone in this case has gone through.

The show is incredibly nuanced and discusses everything in great detail. I feel most will leave the show with some sympathy for Matha - but that doesn't excuse anything she did, nor does it make Gadd the blame for his own stalking and sexual assault. We don't have to struggle in everything to find heroes and villains, but there's very little excusing what Gadd has been through, even if there are explanations for it.

And I do find this whole circus around lawsuits and interviews particularly distasteful. I'm tempted to suggest Gadd should have had the wherewithal to change even more of the piece to the point where it would have been impossible to find 'Martha', but I'm not in the place to tell a victim what they should or shouldn't do, that's what I'd say there.
I didn't know sexual assault was involved. Pretty much all I've seen is the trailer and the first episode. The first episode definitely gave me a really bad vibe like it had something against people like her with her looks or weight and I've definitely been in a situation where I was the less attractive one in a budding relationship and it became sort of a joke around a group of people and it just made me uncomfortable enough to bail out.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I didn't know sexual assault was involved. Pretty much all I've seen is the trailer and the first episode. The first episode definitely gave me a really bad vibe like it had something against people like her with her looks or weight and I've definitely been in a situation where I was the less attractive one in a budding relationship and it became sort of a joke around a group of people and it just made me uncomfortable enough to bail out.

I don't remember them ever commenting on her weight or looks, come to think of it. I could be wrong. It certainly wasn't a focus. The focus was definitely her mental health.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Her looks are not addressed a single time.

Just watched this all in one sitting and it was really damn good and so, so heavy. Came really close to crying. The show does an eerily good job of making you empathize with Martha the same way Donny does. It's kinda scary.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think he ever considered her not attractive. It was about troubled people in general rather than any kind of binary.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Not quite true. In the first episode, his coworkers come up to him and her in the bar and say "is this the one you've been telling us about? The supermodel?"

I agree the series doesn't dwell on her looks but it is referenced.
Oh yeah you're right. I think even then, it's the asshole coworkers who are outright depicted as terrible people.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
great show. probably one of the greatest Netflix original shows of all time.

I want that suit.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This show was a crazy rollercoaster ride of emotions. Starting off with what's wrong with him why is he enabling this to holy shit that happen.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
This show was a crazy rollercoaster ride of emotions. Starting off with what's wrong with him why is he enabling this to holy shit that happen.
absolutely that, yeah. I've watched it one and a half times and I hope to see this gentleman in some other new shows/movies.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've heard from several people in my parents generation now (boomers) that they tried this show, watched a few episodes and then stopped because it got too "weird".

I'm 100% convinced that when they say weird, they actually mean gay.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Ok FINE I've started watching this. This thread's reactions are too tempting. Only 12 minutes in and it's amazing how my view on Martha went from, "awwww" to "fucking christ RUN MY BOY".

Also recognized her immediately from the Adipose episode of Doctor Who.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I've heard from several people in my parents generation now (boomers) that they tried this show, watched a few episodes and then stopped because it got too "weird".

I'm 100% convinced that when they say weird, they actually mean gay.

I think the best way to describe it is it become really... heavy. It starts tackling very strong topics that it doesn't prepare the viewer for. If you watch the Trailer and go into it thinking it's this dark comedy about a Stalker, and then Episode 4 hits and it's like.. "Woah.. I didn't sign up for something this heavy involving these subject matters."

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Jeeeeeeeesus christ, that train bit in episode 2. I'm hooked, but I'm terrified of what's to come.

Edit: Finished it up. Hell of a series.

Last edited:

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Incredible show. For those who enjoyed this, I recommend another show, "I May Destroy You", if you haven't seen it yet. It deals with a lot of similar themes and also incorporates the real life experiences of the lead, but from the perspective of a woman creator.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man I totally thought this was about the book my son likes...

CHR728_grande.jpg