Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
giphy.gif

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't just a random fossil, it's a baby t-rex fossil which is allegedly unique and the only existing one discovered (I have my doubts on this though, seems they may just be quoting the ebay post).

Also to those saying why didn't they study it before, it's because it was exhibited. That is not the same as studied by scientists, it was simply displayed at a university (the same university that played a role in increasing its asking price).

Like I understand not giving a shit about this, the average citizen isn't going to really care about the significance of a fossil, but y'know you can kind of see where the scientists and paleontologists are coming from.

Last edited:

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
It's his property, if he want's to sell it through proper channels than he has every right to. If these researchers want it so bad they can pony up the cash. It's not like they didn't have two years to buy and study them.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All fossils should be property of the state regardless where they are found.

I agree when it comes to very rare types of fossils that one could reasonably argue would offer new insight into a species. However I'm guessing that there's a lot of common types of fossils that have been studied very thoroughly and don't really need to have every single fossil be property of governments.

In this case, if it's actually a one of a kind baby t-rex fossil, then yeah that shouldn't be private property of some rich person.

But for only $1m more I can have a real dinosaur!!

I still find it hilarious how low the numbers were in that auction. Shit was Dr. Evil levels of off the mark

Jan 29, 2018
Fossils like this should probably be community property, allowed to be preserved by the scientific community.

Yes, technically he can do whatever he wants with it, but the idea that someone can buy it and do whatever - including destroy it - is pretty gross.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He found it, it's his. The State wastes millions on a bomb or jet, they can go match fossil offers if they want them.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with rich people owning these artifacts, but what can't rich people buy 🤔

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Npr planet money did a good segment on this phenomenon, it's not all bad that private collectors are spending this kind of money on fossils because it's encouraging more research and more digs. It's complicated, but it's not an absolute bad thing

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let some billionaire philanthropist buy it and donate to a museum. This guy found them, he has every right to sell them. More Billkonaire money should be redistributed, this is one way to do it.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
People saying that researchers should buy it are woefully uninformed about the financial situation of research institutions. It would be funny if it weren't so tragic.
I really hate that line.
Why? Do you have a problem with the idea that things of historical significance should be preserved in museums?

AdversaryOne

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
What if the buyer goes out to the parking lot and smashes the bones like how people do when a new hardware is released?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One side effect is that this just makes the hilariously low auction prices in Jurassic World 2 even more ridiculous in comparison.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which part was an insult? I'm sure unethical people in any country would be happy to sell off national treasures to greedy collectors, but only in America is that attitude celebrated quite so much, even in a supposedly progressive place like resetera.

In shocking news, the general 25-35 male/female population of ERA would very much enjoy having an additional 3 million dollars in disposable income.

Being progressive has nothing to do with enjoying life changing money with literally nobody getting hurt

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't lie I'd sell that for cash money ASAP if I found it

Me too, probably. Like the alternative almost seems, idk, foolish? I don't think a baby T-Rex fossil is going to be the critical piece in a cure for cancer(s), or global warming, or some other public health issue, so the moral demands that I have for paleontology as a science doesn't really seem that urgent tbh... Granted I also kind of don't give a shit about dinosaurs so maybe I'm a poor judge.

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hell yeah sell it. I don't understand this worship of science some posters have. The let a some scientist exam it for 2 years before deciding to sell it. There is no obligation or duty yet he did more than most.

Make a buck and continue to excavate.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like something Martin Schreli (or whatever his stupid name is) would be all over if he weren't doing time.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? Do you have a problem with the idea that things of historical significance should be preserved in museums?

It reeks of colonialism mindset where they plundered artifacts from the country the colonist were occupying under the guise of preserving in museums. It's a problem that exist today with some museums refusing to return them or simply loaning them.

It's just sheer arrogant.

Granted in this case it's just a T-Rex bone, so not really a problem here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
It reeks of colonialism mindset where they plundered artifacts from the country the colonist were occupying under the guise of preserving in museums. It's a problem that exist today with some museums refusing to return them or simply loaning them.

It's just sheer arrogant.

Granted in this case it's just a T-Rex bone, so not really a problem here.
Ah, that's definitely fair enough. Museums aren't neutral and without baggage, and that's important to remember. Sorry for calling you out there.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a problem with this.

With the amount of money government wastes frivolously, if they want it, they can buy it. Don't rob the man of his discovery; pay him for it. This has far more value than many things they've spent millions on.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have time to address each and every single one of the ignorant comments on this thread.

1. Alan Detrich did NOT discover this specimen. It was his brother Robert Detrich.
2. Alan and Robert already sold a Tyrannosaurus specimen years ago for millions of dollars. That specimen is now lost to science because it can't be studied.
3. Robert was given two years to sell it to a museum. No museum could afford the price. The specimen goes up on loan to the University of Kansas Natural History Museum while Rob tries to find a museum to buy it.
4. Robert was given 2 years to sell it, since he couldn't, Alan decides to fuck over the museum and his brother by using the museum display, and publicity to sell the specimen on eBay. He also used the museum to inflate the price of the fossil.
5. Research takes year to do. Someone is already writing a paper on it. However, if a paper comes out and the specimen is sold, the paper becomes USELESS because no one else can recheck, remeasure, and reanalyze it. Specimens are checked and rechecked all the time due to new discoveries and old mistakes. So this sale also destroyed the researcher's hard work in writing this up.
6. Alan Detrich is an unpleasant person from what I've been told and back stabbed his brother. This latest stunt made his brother retire from fossil hunting.

n0PPPvF.jpg

SIu8lxF.jpg

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
MĂ©xico
The man invested his money to find it, i don't see a problem with him making a profit from it. If it wasn't for him that thing would probably atill be buried there.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have time to address each and every single one of the ignorant comments on this thread.

1. Alan Detrich did NOT discover this specimen. It was his brother Robert Detrich.
2. Alan and Robert already sold a Tyrannosaurus specimen years ago for millions of dollars. That specimen is now lost to science because it can't be studied.
3. Robert was given two years to sell it to a museum. No museum could afford the price. The specimen goes up on loan to the University of Kansas Natural History Museum while Rob tries to find a museum to buy it.
4. Robert was given 2 years to sell it, since he couldn't, Alan decides to fuck over the museum and his brother by using the museum display, and publicity to sell the specimen on eBay. He also used the museum to inflate the price of the fossil.
5. Research takes year to do. Someone is already writing a paper on it. However, if a paper comes out and the specimen is sold, the paper becomes USELESS because no one else can recheck, remeasure, and reanalyze it. Specimens are checked and rechecked all the time due to new discoveries and old mistakes. So this sale also destroyed the researcher's hard work in writing this up.
6. Alan Detrich is an unpleasant person from what I've been told and back stabbed his brother. This latest stunt made his brother retire from fossil hunting.

n0PPPvF.jpg

SIu8lxF.jpg
You should probably source this and contact the OP.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is weird. I had no idea that's legal, even in America.

It's not legal here and I think it ought not be, just like trade in exotic animals. You shouldn't have to risk some important fossils being broken or sitting in a private collection just because a jerk found them.