• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A throwback to the survival horror and mystery games of the original PlayStation, Back in 1995 faithfully re-creates everything from this all-but-forgotten era of games.

Be transported to a world both concrete and indistinct, where you must uncover the mystery surrounding the disappearance of your daughter, the catastrophe that shook the city, and why you've decided to finally return.

Back in 1995 was created as a labour of love by indie developer Takaaki Ichijo as a means to replicate the unique feeling he had from his first gaming experiences: the PlayStation and the Sega Saturn.
Features:
Get lost in the nostalgic world of retro 3D graphics, including low res models, texture warping, CRT emulation, and fixed CCTV style camera angles.
Relive the mystery game genre with an old-school user interface and tank controls.
Explore a sparse cityscape in the year 1995, littered with clues about the past.
Interact with a cast of damaged characters whose intentions you can never truly know.
Uncover the mystery of yourself, your daughter, and what happened to the city

PurelyChris

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Much prefer this kind of retro to the 2D sidescrollers. At least gameplay opportunities are opened up in 3D, albeit blurry, old-style 3D.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I love the aesthetic of the game, but it's just not really good. I really wanted to like it too.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting - leans pretty heavily on the original silent hill but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Retro 3D is a good thing, glad to see it getting some attention.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a very early psone game. Maybe a low budget one too.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Don't think this got great reception on PC, sad cos I was looking forward to it prior to its release.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Back in 1995? But we already got "Gone Home"

argh my eyes bleed with how sharp/jagged those ps1-style graphics are

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we skip this retro phase please? N64/PS1 graphics and gameplay styles (tank controls) are just terrible.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks very reminiscent of a low-budget horror game that dropped on the eShop called Vaccine.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fairly convinced that early 3D games looked that way out of necessity and constraints rather than a deliberate artistic choice, so I'm not sure if it is wise to emulate those looks.

Oct 25, 2017
Tank controls + horror are not my jam, so I'm gonna pass on this. BUT, hope we'll get an influx of low-res PS1/N64-aesthetic indies.

TwinsUltra64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberspace, EUROPE
Pretty sure this game got poor reviews.
Do you really need someone who tells you if certain game is good or bad?
I like discover games all by myself, no need someone who tells me if is a good or bad game.

If you discover games by yourself you will enjoy more game this Amazing industry has to offer.
p.s
Reviews are base on Opinion, NOT Factual.
You might like a game you might not.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Do you really need someone who tells you if certain game is good or bad?
I like discover games all by myself, no need someone who tells me if is a good or bad game.

If you discover games by yourself you will enjoy more game this Amazing industry has to offer.
p.s
Reviews are base on Opinion, NOT Factual.
You might like a game you might not.
Okay cool.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Man, I hated this era of 3D graphics. I enjoyed a lot of titles during my teenage years but I always hated the graphics. But if that is a taste of the OST they are headed in the right direction with the feel they are trying to convey.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefere 60fps, clean, low polygon (even untextured) games, but I still respect what he is trying to do :)

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This is the ugliest game in the world. Even in 1995, this would have gone straight in the trash

Englebert3rd

Oct 31, 2017
I followed the game and when I tried it, I felt it was too slow and clunky.
I hope that speed gets improved.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
Well, no thanks, I'm so happy that 1995 3D is no more, no nostalgia here.
Can't handle this anymore.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Was that walking shot slowed down or is it replicating a low framerate, anyone know? (In that there's 'ghosting' between the frames, not the speed of the animation itself).

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
The teaser doesn't convince me at all. I like old 3D graphic, but this is just ugly.
Silent Hill on PS1 have a better impact and atmosphere even with a similar graphical quality, this just look generic.

It's just a teaser, but I expect the "best" from a teaser, it should get my interest...

Maybe the gameplay&story can save it.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yeah, this game looks like shit. You can't just do PS1 graphics and call it a day. The reason why Silent Hill 1 and Resident Evil 2/3 are still loved today is because of their incredible art direction that complements the obscure visuals of that era. They were doing a lot with very little and this game looks like it's just doing very little.

Although I appreciate bringing back tank controls aka the truest form of character movement.