Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I like the way how 8bitdo does it. It conforms to the shape of the controller and does not feel intrusive.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I've been totally spoiled by them.

I have 8bitdo's controllers, a DualSense Edge and a grip for my Switch that all have them.

I hate the L3/3 buttons, especially if they're mapped for something important.

In Zelda for example, I map the crouch and dash buttons to the back buttons on my 8bitdo Ultimate and the game controls much better.

Last edited:

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Playing FF14 on my Steam Deck, I map L4/R4 to double tap of L/R (I use the bumpers instead of triggers for my hotbar). Perfect way of getting to the WXHB.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Agreed. They're the best thing to happen to controllers since dual analog sticks imo.

If they're standard next gen, I feel like they should also be independently mappable as well—not just used to replicate another input. I do think devs should start off by still providing classic button mapping schemes but eventually just letting games design around their presence would be nice to see imo.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Back paddles should be mandatory, and clicking in the sticks should be removed. I HATE the stick click. It's the worst button ever invented.

Oct 26, 2017
yeah why would you settle for like 2 or 4 extra? this is clearly superior it just has a bit of a learning curve
1339520-alpha1.jpg
1339521-alpha2.jpg

I'd love to see the in-game tutorial for that one.
"To jump and hover, press the middle center button on the front lower side and then click the third wide button on the back right to its right (your left)."

Oct 28, 2017
8BitDo controllers have back paddles, Hall Effect joysticks, and no issues, I'd recommend them!

yeup! imagine a world where you can sprint in a souls game and move the camera without doing the claw grip

I'm not sure what advantages mandatory back paddles would offer back paddle fans over them just buying controllers with back paddles if they like them

designing a game around it. ie. if you're using back buttons instead of face buttons. those face buttons are now free for something else.

the advantage is obvious TBH

Oct 28, 2017
There should be one on each side as part of the default layout. Sell a premium controller with two more macros if you must, but two back buttons is a must going forward. I don't want to hear about it being too complicated for the average person. Games are too much for what we have now.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I really like the customizable back paddles. I use two different ones on my ps5 controller.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Once you use a controller with rear paddles there really is no going back. Being able to access all four functions of the face buttons without taking your right thumb off the analog stick is just a massive improvement.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
I spent the money to get a Dualsense Edge and I'm still trying to adjust to using the paddles.

Also i beat Doom Eternal on Ultra-Nightmare with a DS4 pad, it's tough to break that x button muscle memory.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
They really should be. I've had an Msft Elite V2 for almost 2 years with no issues. It sucks that 8bitdo and DS Edge only have two back paddles when the elite has 4. It's made it hard to go back to anything else.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Back paddles should be mandatory, and clicking in the sticks should be removed. I HATE the stick click. It's the worst button ever invented.

I despise it too, it feels horrible. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a correlation with wear and tear from clicking the sticks and drift too.

I'd love to get a Dualsense Edge and be free of them, but I'm not paying almost as much as the price of a Switch or Series S for a single controller.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I love using them as a replacement for L3/R3 (which is what my default mapping is for my 8BitDo Pro 2), but I have yet to experiment with other mappings, which I'm assuming would be great for certain d-pad/face button inputs where you want to press one of those while still using the corresponding analog stick.

Now that I think about it, I haven't even looked into how to do any of the remaps for my Steam Deck. Probably should! LOL

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I would settle for them being arbitrarily bindable on PC. We just had a discussion in the PC thread about this and aside from a few controllers (Xbox Elite and Dualshock Edge among them) having Steam Input support for binding the paddles/buttons, and a few other controllers supporting it via their own software or ReWASD, the situation out there is bleak if you want to bind the back buttons to something that ISN'T a controller input, like a hotkey. You can't do it with the 8bitdo controllers, for example. It feels like a lot of the reason for this is Xinput not really handling this kind of thing, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Then you have weird edge cases like the Hori Split Pads on Switch, where it makes sense that you can only bind the back buttons to controller inputs (who's using a keyboard on Switch anyways), but you can only bind a button that exists on the half of the controller with that button! i.e. if you want to bind an ABXY face button to the LEFT back button, you can't. I assume this is a hardware limitation, i.e. the Switch never expects face button inputs to come from the left joycon so the Split Pads can only send that input from the right pad's back button.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I love back paddles/buttons. So useful, especially on PC if you have a way to rebind them to non standard buttons (eg, keyboard keys, mouse buttons etc).

Grenlento

Dec 6, 2023
They really should be. I've had an Msft Elite V2 for almost 2 years with no issues. It sucks that 8bitdo and DS Edge only have two back paddles when the elite has 4. It's made it hard to go back to anything else.
I just started using the Flydigi Vader 3 Pro. Has 4 buttons on the back. Not the most ergonomically designed, but they work fine once you get used to them.

It also has two extra face buttons, which is very nice. I map one of them to be L3 so I never need to press the stick (also dislike that) to sprint; the button's close enough to the right stick that I can tap it without really having to interrupt camera control.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Scuf (has Corsair ever made a controller?).

They sued Valve and got a $4 million verdict over it. They actually lost a shitload if related patents on their site:

scufgaming.com

SCUF Patents | Controller Patent Innovations

Customize your SCUF® controller & game like the elite on PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PC & legacy consoles. Take your gaming to another level with SCUF® controllers!

edit: ah I see, scuf is a corsair subsidiary. Anyway Scuf seems to own the patents.

What is the final status of that lawsuit because Valve appealed on grounds that prior art was not properly considered and i think Valve won an appeal

So is this still going on?

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people hate clicking in sticks? It's almost always just a toggle to run or crouch or something. It's not like you need to keep it depressed while moving the stick.

Jul 1, 2020
Why do people hate clicking in sticks? It's almost always just a toggle to run or crouch or something. It's not like you need to keep it depressed while moving the stick.
It can be hard to do when the stick is at an angle for some people. It's also not intuitive. In game you see a prompt for L3 or R3 and those buttons are not labeled on the controller like the rest of them are.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I use the 8bitDo controller on PC, it's a really solid one. Mine is the 8bitdo Switch Pro controller or w/e, but it works well in "Xbox" mode (PC mode). The weird thing about it is that while I use it plugged in, the buttons change depending on whether you have it in "bluetooth" mode (Switch) or "2.4ghz" mode (PC/Xbox), even though it's plugged in ... like, back paddles don't work in "Bluetooth/Switch" mode, but they do in 2.4ghz mode.... even when it's plugged in and not using wireless at all. It's an odd design decision.

But it works great. I use it for Red Dead 2 on PC right now, because I hate "A to run / gallop" while also using both sticks.

They have an new Xbox one coming out with all of the same features, but just with the official Xbox branding, Share button, etc:

I'm excited for it after being really pleased with this controller

HououinK

Dec 17, 2023
Thanks for answering. Seems ok. Maybe it's just the Steam Deck that has its buttons too inaccessible. Paddles might be better for this sort of thing. Nevertheless, I'll try mapping one of them to dodge in like Dark Souls or something and see how it goes.
I do think that the paddles on the steam deck aren't the most ergonomic. My short time with a steam deck I didn't like them. It's all about grip for me. The Edge's dome buttons are out of the way and harder to press but also at more of an angle like my hands are so my middle fingers rest nearly perfect while the buttons on the steam deck are more vertically oriented.

My friend uses the back buttons for stuff like Saving in emulators and likes them. You could always try one of those backplates that come with better back buttons? I think JSAUX makes them.

Jul 1, 2020
I do think that the paddles on the steam deck aren't the most ergonomic. My short time with a steam deck I didn't like them. It's all about grip for me. The Edge's dome buttons are out of the way and harder to press but also at more of an angle like my hands are so my middle fingers rest nearly perfect while the buttons on the steam deck are more vertically oriented.

My friend uses the back buttons for stuff like Saving in emulators and likes them. You could always try one of those backplates that come with better back buttons? I think JSAUX makes them.
The way that the back buttons on the Steam Deck are shaped and how the buttons actually function is counterintuitive. It feels like they would activate with a squeeze but you have to press the back of the Steam Deck itself in order for it to register. I can't get used to it.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I have an 8Bitdo Ultimate, but I have no idea what to use the back paddles for. I got it for the Hall Effect sticks, because Jesus fucking Christ I've had like 4 game controllers become worthless to drift in the last few years. 2 Xbox controllers, a Dualsense 5, and a non-Hall Effect 8Bitdo have all drifted after a year.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
Recently got a DS Edge and have been rewiring my brain to use the paddles. Never had a controller that had them before. I mapped the right one to R3 and the left one to triangle while playing FF7 Rebirth. The R3 is life changing.

Grenlento

Dec 6, 2023
I have an 8Bitdo Ultimate, but I have no idea what to use the back paddles for. I got it for the Hall Effect sticks, because Jesus fucking Christ I've had like 4 game controllers become worthless to drift in the last few years. 2 Xbox controllers, a Dualsense 5, and a non-Hall Effect 8Bitdo have all drifted after a year.
I have one of those too; assignments varied depending on the game. For shooters, reload button was a usual pick. And for RPGs/games with a lot of "press to interact/talk," they let my thumb just sit naturally while the index/middle did the work. I liked it.

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Yeah, if back paddles/buttons become standard extra inputs I'm out, I'm not going to contort my grip over the controller to avoid accidentally hitting a button I did not meant to press, especially since I already have a hard time avoiding doing that to the shoulder buttons/triggers.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for answering. Seems ok. Maybe it's just the Steam Deck that has its buttons too inaccessible. Paddles might be better for this sort of thing. Nevertheless, I'll try mapping one of them to dodge in like Dark Souls or something and see how it goes.

Souls is the reason I can't live without backpaddles.

Map the right paddle to dodge/run/jump. Complete gamechanger.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I have one of those too; assignments varied depending on the game. For shooters, reload button was a usual pick. And for RPGs/games with a lot of "press to interact/talk," they let my thumb just sit naturally while the index/middle did the work. I liked it.
Hmm, yes, I see the appeal of putting the A/X button on the left paddle and playing an RPG with just one hand until you get into a battle or something.

Kinda like playing BG3 on mouse/keyboard, where its all just right-handed mouse interactions until you get in combat and use the keys for hotbar shortcuts. I'll try it next time I play an RPG with a controller.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
I feel like if they add any more buttons I'll just turn into one of those people who hasn't played since NES and can't figure out how 3d movement works

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I think yes. It should be mandatory inclusion. Its a massive accessibility feature.