Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
There are 40 dollar controllers that have back buttons and hall effect sticks. Just 2 in the back should be enough.

Grenlento

Dec 6, 2023
There are 40 dollar controllers that have back buttons and hall effect sticks. Just 2 in the back should be enough.
Nah, as long as there's software to let you unmap buttons you might accidentally hit, the more the merrier imo. I'm using the four back buttons to replicate the dpad; juking and jiving like a boss while effortlessly calling in Stratagems in Helldivers, lol.

rsfour

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if back paddles/buttons become standard extra inputs I'm out, I'm not going to contort my grip over the controller to avoid accidentally hitting a button I did not meant to press, especially since I already have a hard time avoiding doing that to the shoulder buttons/triggers.
Well, hopefully designers/devs allow you to remove the sticks, or let you remap them so the back buttons don't do anything.

Which is what the Elite/MS already does. I think Sony does the same with their controller.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What's Hall effect? Also, how's the quality of 8bitdo? I see they have a new Xbox controller coming soon.
Hall effect joysticks are made differently such that they shouldn't drift like modern day OEM sticks will.

8bitdo was pretty janky at first but I've come to really like their output. Just always keep the FW up to date.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
What's Hall effect? Also, how's the quality of 8bitdo? I see they have a new Xbox controller coming soon.

Hall effect is basically a stick where the directional inputs are detected by a small magnetic sensor instead of the physical contacts in current OEM controllers. The primary reason that hall effect sensors are making a comeback (they were used on Dreamcast and GameCube controllers iirc) is because they are far more resilient to developing drift. Drift right now is due to the current sensors degrading physically, and somewhat rapidly because of the constant
physical movements they go through.

I've owned 5 different 8bitdo products and I feel like they're very good. I have personally never vouched for third party controllers in the past, but 8bitdo manages to be my first exception.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
I agree. Give us two extra buttons in the back at least. Game devs be making some weird button combos on some games to get things to fit.

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
I have an 8Bitdo Ultimate, but I have no idea what to use the back paddles for. I got it for the Hall Effect sticks, because Jesus fucking Christ I've had like 4 game controllers become worthless to drift in the last few years. 2 Xbox controllers, a Dualsense 5, and a non-Hall Effect 8Bitdo have all drifted after a year.

I find them to be game changing for anything where you can use them in place of face buttons such that you never have to take your fingers off the sticks, never have to stop moving the camera.

So like for shooters/third person games or stuff with a free camera i'll put jump on one, and then like crouch/dash/item select or something like that on another. personally it's incredibly freeing to be able to just run and move around and never have to stop adjusting the camera. it's a little thing but it completely changes the way games feel

I would recommend trying this in a Souls game or like Armored Core. Flying your mech around and always having full control of the camera at all times is incredible

LordFlash

Mar 24, 2023

I have the 8BitDo ultimate and the 8bitdo Switch controllers.

Both are shockingly good for what they cost me. Especially the ultimate with the charging dock, wifi dongle, Hall effect sticks, back paddles etc. Kinda wild how much you can get for 35-40 bucks. Not a lot to dislike.

Here are the two I picked up. Paid 25 and 35 USD for them over at Aliexpress all included.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
If we're going to talk about mandatory back-paddles then what we actually need to talk about are proper back buttons like the 8bitdo controllers or the Steam Deck. The paddle design is a forced necessity of the paddles needing to be add-ons to existing hardware. I imagine a lot of the initial awkwardness and discomfort with getting used to back-paddles can be addressed by having actual buttons built into the controller.

Gimme back buttons, the L3/R3 stick clicks, the Dualsense touchpad, Nintendo gyro, gimme as much as you can. IMO this shouldn't be "enthusiast" stuff anymore.

people want more buttons??

The PC market is growing and more gamers are growing up getting used to keyboard+mouse and valuing the sheer versatility in a keyboard that gives you more buttons than you'd ever need. It makes sense IMO to discuss officially evolving the standard video game controller, one that has for the most part been kept constant (with the Dualsense being the most "evolved" IMO with the touchpad).

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I put it in the controller ot but after trying all the premium options i got an apex 4 and omg. I can never go back.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I find them to be game changing for anything where you can use them in place of face buttons such that you never have to take your fingers off the sticks, never have to stop moving the camera.

So like for shooters/third person games or stuff with a free camera i'll put jump on one, and then like crouch/dash/item select or something like that on another. personally it's incredibly freeing to be able to just run and move around and never have to stop adjusting the camera. it's a little thing but it completely changes the way games feel

I would recommend trying this in a Souls game or like Armored Core. Flying your mech around and always having full control of the camera at all times is incredible
AC6 is on my list, I'll try it when I get to that.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Bring back the black/white extra face buttons from the OG Xbox controller first

2560px-Xbox-s-controller.jpg
Ew no. Last thing we need are an additional 2 buttons for your thumb when it already has the right thumb stick and 4 faces buttons it has to do all by itself.

I have more fingers than my thumbs and pointers! Let me use them! Equality for all!!

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
Make them mandatory and also make the option to make them their own unique input idk something like L4 L5 & R4 R5.

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
AC6 is on my list, I'll try it when I get to that.

Even in something like Fortnite, i feel significantly quicker and more maneuverable in terms of platforming and air control and aiming in midair when i offload certain functions to the back paddles. i'm sure there are a ton of other uses for them that i've never considered but that's been a big one for me

VoidPlot

Nov 1, 2017
The DS4 paddles attachment that was $30 is probably the best add on for that controller big reason why I use it before a DS5. Such a easy and accessible and COMFORTABLE piece behind a DS4 lol

Oct 27, 2017
Hall effect joysticks are made differently such that they shouldn't drift like modern day OEM sticks will.

8bitdo was pretty janky at first but I've come to really like their output. Just always keep the FW up to date.

Hall effect is basically a stick where the directional inputs are detected by a small magnetic sensor instead of the physical contacts in current OEM controllers. The primary reason that hall effect sensors are making a comeback (they were used on Dreamcast and GameCube controllers iirc) is because they are far more resilient to developing drift. Drift right now is due to the current sensors degrading physically, and somewhat rapidly because of the constant
physical movements they go through.

I've owned 5 different 8bitdo products and I feel like they're very good. I have personally never vouched for third party controllers in the past, but 8bitdo manages to be my first exception.

I have the 8BitDo ultimate and the 8bitdo Switch controllers.

Both are shockingly good for what they cost me. Especially the ultimate with the charging dock, wifi dongle, Hall effect sticks, back paddles etc. Kinda wild how much you can get for 35-40 bucks. Not a lot to dislike.

Here are the two I picked up. Paid 25 and 35 USD for them over at Aliexpress all included.

Looks like I'll be grabbing the new 8bitdo Xbox controller later this year.

https://www.8bitdo.com/ultimate-3-mode-controller-xbox/

Was shocked it had all this for $60, guess that just says how much the console manufacturers got me thinking.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The DS4 paddles attachment that was $30 is probably the best add on for that controller big reason why I use it before a DS5. Such a easy and accessible and COMFORTABLE piece behind a DS4 lol
Seriously, that thing was perfect. I need another one for the dualsense. I don't want to spend 2.5x as much for a new controller when all I want are paddles

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Steam Deck made me realize I never want a controller or handheld without back buttons/paddles ever again.
I think it should be stressed that good back buttons/paddles make a huge difference.
Went from using this mod on dualsense with so so experience.

IMG_2037.jpg

To Gulitkit KK3 with paddles and it is night and day as you're not accidently pressing the buttons, can also switch paddles to dual sense edge type buttons.

01_1581e05e-c708-438b-8a91-c6ef5e0fe3f1_800x.jpg

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Does steam recognize the back paddles?

I haven't checked in a while (I really only use them for very specific games, like Soulsbornes), but Steam Input does not recognize them directly last I checked if you rely on it because the back paddles are controlled by firmware (the software) and aren't "native buttons". That said you can essentially hack the functionality in very easily: if you use the 8BitDo software and bind the back paddles to double press each analog stick, you can then bind the double press analog sticks in Steam Input into anything and it will work with the back paddles instead.

Grenlento

Dec 6, 2023
Not too long got one these, nice clicky buttons and the trigger stops are great, still adjusting to the 4 back bottons tho heh.
Yes, such a nice feature for a more economy model. I also love that the software lets me adjust the stick deadzones to a much more granular level than the 8Bitdo's. I want my character to break out into a sprint with but a twitch.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't checked in a while (I really only use them for very specific games, like Soulsbornes), but Steam Input does not recognize them directly last I checked if you rely on it because the back paddles are controlled by firmware (the software) and aren't "native buttons". That said you can essentially hack the functionality in very easily: if you use the 8BitDo software and bind the back paddles to double press each analog stick, you can then bind the double press analog sticks in Steam Input into anything and it will work with the back paddles instead.
What I've found lately when looking into something else is there is a maximum number of buttons allowed for Xinput and it is the number typically found on an Xbox controller (12 + home). 3rd party manufacturers then have to stay within those limits and for whatever reason don't define more buttons for Dinput (which I don't think has the same limit).

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I think it should be stressed that good back buttons/paddles make a huge difference.
Went from using this mod on dualsense with so so experience.

IMG_2037.jpg

To Gulitkit KK3 with paddles and it is night and day as you're not accidently pressing the buttons, can also switch paddles to dual sense edge type buttons.

01_1581e05e-c708-438b-8a91-c6ef5e0fe3f1_800x.jpg
I installed the mod in the first pic and love it. The metal button version is better imo because they take a bit more force to press but not a ton, so I don't accidentally hit them like I did sometimes with the plastic one.

I would prefer the Gulikit/elite style like the bottom pic, because it was more comfortable overall on my elite v1, but that's more complicated to get done and runs into issues with SCUF patents, apparently.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I want button layouts that make sense for modern games.
When the majority of games place inputs on both thumb sticks, you shouldn't have to move your thumb over to the face buttons.

Allowing developers to assign unique commands to back buttons/paddles would make the problem worse.
The back/paddle buttons should only be used to replace other button inputs, not add more.

When I was using the Steam Controller as my main, I was able to remap most games so that I was only using the touchpads, triggers/shoulders, and grip buttons.
This worked extremely well for most games, and was a lot more comfortable long-term. I only ever used the face buttons/stick for menus.
Unfortunately, I haven't found this to work nearly as well on the Steam Deck layout, as it prioritizes the sticks over the touchpads, it lacks the dual-stage triggers, and the back buttons aren't nearly as nice to use.
It's not uncomfortable - I prefer it to the Switch by a lot - but the shape is not as good a fit for my hands as the Steam Controller was.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
i agree with the idea that they shouldnt make them mandatory because publishers/devs will probably use them to add more commands instead of optional buttons that you can remap

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
designing a game around it. ie. if you're using back buttons instead of face buttons. those face buttons are now free for something else.

OK but if they're mandatory and you can't remap the face buttons onto them any more doesn't this negate being able to remap hard-to-reach face buttons onto the paddles?

And isn't this an accessibility issue? One of the great things about most controllers is all the surfaces are visible to you at a glance instead of hidden away behind the controller, "here's some hidden mechanism you need to know about to play the game" sounds... not good?

Hell Egret

Aug 19, 2022
Back paddles are so useful that I'll never buy another controller without them. They should replace bumpers full stop

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
Some people here really need to try out the 8bitdo controllers. The back buttons on it are both extremely convenient while also being impossible to hit on accident in my experience.
I can't even begin to describe how transformative it is to be able to keep using the right analog stick and not needing to take your thumb of it to use the face buttons.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
61OSzNCW9yL.jpg

If you want a modern spin check the vader 3 pro
I wish the extra face buttons are on the left side instead of the right (or just have them on both).
I've been mapping the star button on the left of my 8bitdo Pro 2 to A button and it makes story sections of games where you have to press A to proceed and choose dialogue options much more comfy because I can just do those sections with one hand and don't have to hold my controllers with both hands in front of me all the time (one of the reasons I like Wiimote and joycon is because I can just lay them on my sides, which is not possible with normal controllers).
Well, I guess this use case is probably too specific for most controlelr makers to consider lol.

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
The way that the back buttons on the Steam Deck are shaped and how the buttons actually function is counterintuitive. It feels like they would activate with a squeeze but you have to press the back of the Steam Deck itself in order for it to register. I can't get used to it.
it is an annoying design flaw i hope it gets addressed with the Deck 2, but i'd like to point out you do not need to press the back , rather you need to press them where the button names are:
psa-its-easier-to-press-the-backbuttons-in-the-highlighted-v0-bcgz3o5rq8da1.jpg

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I agree but it will never happen. They've found a good justification to make premium versions of controllers so you can buy an additional controller for more than base price, after already paying for the basic one that comes with your console.

There are affordable options like Flydigi Vader, but not for all platforms unfortunately.

I worry that if you put the paddles there on every controller, developers will use them. Some games will become absolute control-scheme messes, and it'll be ruinous for accessibility options. I think the best option is that manufacturers actually give a shit about making things well and selling them at reasonable price points, so if you want to remap, absolutely you can do that and it's easily affordable. But I personally think (whisper it) we should be moving to simpler controls in general rather than adding more to the pot.

Not if they are designed as backup buttons at the system level like they are currently.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
yeah can't go back anymore, im fine with 2 on edge, but some seem to want 4, so make it optionally 4 as well.
this thing shouldn't be a premium 250$ gamepad feature by any logic.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I have the edge PS5 pad but only like to have one paddle (left) should be a detachable option imo going forward