Plum

May 31, 2018
I've been pretty adamant in previous threads saying that nothing exists on a system level for PS5 to facilitate PS4-to-PS5 save sharing but I'm happy to eat my words if that isn't the case.

However, I'm still suspicious because so many developers are implementing it for Xbox and not PlayStation that at the very least it's nontrivial to add.

It's a difference in how Sony's databases work. Microsoft is treating cross-gen and even cross-platform games as the exact same SKU, whereas Sony treats the same game on different platforms as seperate SKUs. It's why Microsoft has smart delivery whereas Sony doesn't have anything of the sort.

Sony has been up front since PS3-PS4 about how cross save works it's always been up to the Devs. This is what people have been saying with games now doing the same thing.

It's up to the developers on Xbox either so... why do Yakuza 7, Dirt 5 and Maneater support cross-save on there whilst they don't on PS5? As I said, framing something as a "developer decision," literally just means that it's not enforced-via-contract by the platform holder. So, in the end, means literally nothing when the important issue is what that 'developer decision' actually requires to implement.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
This part is interesting in particular. Looking at you Yakuza and Dirt devs. Explinations required.
There is a reason for this. This is my opinion.

With Xbox One, you cannot copy saves off the console so you cannot tamper with the saves so Microsoft has worked to keep the saves compatible with Xbox Series X since they are essentially backup online for free by Microsoft.

With PS4, you can copy saves off the console so you can tamper with the saves that is why they did not retain compatibility. But developers can transfer save or rather translate a save from one console to another as they did with PS3, Vita and PS4. And games that save online like some service games just use the online backup.

That is why i think Dirt 5 online stuff does transfer over to PS5 but local stuff does not.

That is my understanding of this mess anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I feel exactly the same way and came to the same conclusion. I really hope they at least add a way to "merge" the performance and fidelity modes to have the best of both on PS5

The more quiet they've been in this respect, the more convinced I am that it isn't news we want to hear. Would love to be proven wrong.
Yeah I'm extremely excited to play GOW again with a perfect 60fps but it'll be a shame to be locked at 1080p. We can only pray they make the effort to do these tweaks.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any confirmation one way or another that you can remote play from a PS5, either PS4 titles or PS5 titles?

I mean PS5 acting as server not client?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I was about the reply in a previous thread, but it got locked with the reason that it could be taken in the announcement thread, so i'll reply here instead.

Nice hand-off to the devs...
Wouldnt it always be up to the devs to decide this? Or am i misunderstanding? Or do you mean in regards that the developers had to come up with their own solution to make sure that cross-gen saves would work, and not Sony providing tools to do this? If so, i see what you mean. I dont know if Sony has offered any tools or not. They did do that (i assume) with cross plattform saves on PS3/Vita at least, so hopefully they will do it for PS4 and PS5 as well =) If not, then Sony should have provided a solution for this, making it easier for the developers to do that, i fully agree with that.

"Sackboy: A Big Adventure also will support game save transfers from PS4 to PS5 in an update that will be delivered shortly after the release of the game."

so, they still have weeks till release but can´t provide this day one? seems like it isn´t that easy to do when even first party games deliver cross save features after launch.
Yep people read to much into developer decision and not into the little glaring detail even Sony devs don't have it working day one.
What about Spiderman Miles Morales? Reading the quote, they dont mention anything about a later patch for Spiderman, but only for Sackboy. But i agree that its curious why its like this.

Last edited:

CrazyIvan

Oct 26, 2017
Vermont
I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but I feel like I can't quite find the answer to this specifically.

Right now I have an external 2tb drive that I plan on using with the PS5 to hold my PS4 games. I was anticipating that I would have to redownload all the games and saves from the cloud because the PS5 would reformat my drive when I plugged it in, but is this announcement saying that if I copy/backup everything from my PS4 to the drive now, it will just be recognized by the PS5 and functional right away without needing to be formatted?

GarbColle

Sep 5, 2019
Interestingly the Japanese support page only lists two of the games (Robinson: The Journey and Joe's Diner), but has an additional disclaimer that PS4 only games differ by country and region.

So I guess there is a chance that other regions have additional games. I failed to find e.g. the German page, so no idea if EU has any additional information.

It also confirms you don't need to use wifi to transfer data from PS4 to PS5:

ダウンロード版のゲームやセーブデータは、PS4 本体から PS5 本体へ、有線または無線(Wi-Fi)でデータ転送できます。

Transalation by me:
Downloaded games and save data can be transferred from PS4 to PS5 by wired or wireless (Wi-Fi) connection.

Didn't see any other obvious differences, seems to be mostly the same slightly differently ordered and formatted.

ukas

Oct 25, 2017
There is a reason for this.

With Xbox One, you cannot copy saves off the console so you cannot tamper with the saves so Microsoft has worked to keep the saves compatible with Xbox Series X since they are essentially backup online for free by Microsoft.

With PS4, you can copy saves off the console so you can tamper with the saves that is why they did not retain compatibility. But developers can transfer save or rather translate a save from one console to another as they did with PS4, Vita and PS4. And games that save online like some service games just use the online backup.

That is why Dirt 5 online stuff does transfer over to PS5 but local stuff does not.

According to who?

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
The 99% comment originally had me worried. The unsupported games are all ones I don't own, so I'm content.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Interestingly the Japanese support page only lists two of the games (Robinson: The Journey and Joe's Diner), but has an additional disclaimer that PS4 only games differ by country and region.

So I guess there is a chance that other regions have additional games. I failed to find e.g. the German page, so no idea if EU has any additional information.

It also confirms you don't need to use wifi to transfer data from PS4 to PS5:

Transalation by me:

Didn't see any other obvious differences, seems to be mostly the same slightly differently ordered and formatted.
Interesting I wonder whats preventing those small number of games

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but they don't get much credit from me when they just ignore PS1/PS2 support.

This makes so little sense to me when PS1 and PS2 games exist on the store already and could be played on PS3. I have so many PS1 classics. I don't get why this can't be included in the BC list.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not yet. I think they are saving that for the UI/UX reveal. I hope they find some ways to upgrade the experience for the new generation
I just worry about all the fuss over the Dual Sense and PS5 games not supporting DS4 that they similarly won't support Remote Play of PS5 games to devices you can't use a Dual Sense with.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Wow Jak and Daxter collection as well? That's dope, really wasn't expecting it considering It's PS2 emulation

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
So essentially that means it still works exactly the same as the ps5 (other than HDR) but Microsoft are stepping in for specific games to add improvements.
Yes that sounds about right, we still need to see how much improvements PS5 boost provides BC games though. Given the massive difference in clock speeds between PS4,Pro and PS5 I think the gains should be significant.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat unrelated, but does anyone know if the Spiderman PS4 to PS5 upgrade loses you access to the PS4 version? I guess not, but thought I would ask anyway. And yes, I know it only applies to the new Spiderman game and not the remastered version.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
There is a reason for this. This is my opinion.

With PS4, you can copy saves off the console so you can tamper with the saves that is why they did not retain compatibility. But developers can transfer save or rather translate a save from one console to another as they did with PS3, Vita and PS4. And games that save online like some service games just use the online backup.

That is why Dirt 5 online stuff does transfer over to PS5 but local stuff does not.

I thought PS4 saves have account lock. You can download someone else's save to continue your game but it won't grand you any trophy. Isn't that good engouh?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it is brute force, in that they're not changing game code. I thought I explained in my original comment that I was not using it as a term of art, but you are welcome to refrain from "using that term."
It's not simply brute force though. LOL So please stop using it inaccurately. PS4, through Boost Mode, and XB1 games with dynamic resolution and unstable framerates hitting their highest resolution and framerate caps more often or locked on PS5 and XSX is through brute force, y'know access to more power. However "brute force" on console is limited to what they were capped at. Hence it takes TECHNIQUES AND METHODS beyond "Brute Force" to increase native resolution and/or double the framerates beyond what they were coded at by the BC team.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's a difference in how Sony's databases work. Microsoft is treating cross-gen and even cross-platform games as the exact same SKU, whereas Sony treats the same game on different platforms as seperate SKUs. It's why Microsoft has smart delivery whereas Sony doesn't have anything of the sort.

It's up to the developers on Xbox either so... why do Yakuza 7, Dirt 5 and Maneater support cross-save on there whilst they don't on PS5? As I said, framing something as a "developer decision," literally just means that it's not enforced-via-contract by the platform holder. So, in the end, means literally nothing when the important issue is what that 'developer decision' actually requires to implement.
It's pretty much is a dev issue thats their policy. I dont get why its anything else but that. Just people 1. Need to be informed if it isnt the case with certain games and 2. This issue is gone in the next year or two since there will be way less or zero cross gen games. Im not sure what the smart delivery stuff has to do with any of this when that also is a dev decision to make and some companies aren't using it either. Like EA.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
This makes so little sense to me when PS1 and PS2 games exist on the store already and could be played on PS3. I have so many PS1 classics. I don't get why this can't be included in the BC list.

They didn't implement the hardware BC feature of the early PS3 (later abandoned on subsequent versions of the PS3).

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes that sounds about right, we still need to see how much improvements PS5 boost provides BC games though. Given the massive difference in clock speeds between PS4,Pro and PS5 I think the gains should be significant.
Yeah it will definitely be interesting to see what gains can be made on certain games.

I'm dreading the DF face-offs for BC games though and how it will fuel discussions.

"Ps5 is trash, it had 2 more micro FPS dips compared to the series X".

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You can run a game off your PS4 and stream it to your PS5 via Remote Play so you don't have to install it on your PS5

It's just like streaming a game to your PS Vita, but with a PS5 instead.
You can stream games FROM your PS4 to your PS5, then It won't take any storage space, but you won't have the improvements.
You can stream your ps4 games on Ps5. Like you can on PC. You won't get the ps5 boost while streaming.
You have a PS4 upstairs with your entire PS4 library on it? You can stream the video output of that to your PS5 and play it there, like a steamlink.
Similar to how PCs and smartphones can currently receive PS4 streams from a host console, the PS5 will allow PS4 remote play streaming as a client.
This is insane.
I said the same thing. Does this mean you could remote play from PS5 to PS4. That would be insane lol.
It's insane!

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Cool that external drives will just work on PS5 but I hope it doesn't force all games to pop up on my menu and then leave their icons on there even when I remove the drive.

Izanagi89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't implement the hardware BC feature of the early PS3 (later abandoned on subsequent versions of the PS3).

I get that it's not hardware supported but I still feel like they could've brought over the PSN PS1 and PS2 Classics. Even later iterations of PS3 could downloads and play PS2 games.

Deleted member 44122

Somewhat unrelated, but does anyone know if the Spiderman PS4 to PS5 upgrade loses you access to the PS4 version? I guess not, but thought I would ask anyway. And yes, I know it only applies to the new Spiderman game and not the remastered version.
you dont lose access, its all in addition

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I just worry about all the fuss over the Dual Sense and PS5 games not supporting DS4 that they similarly won't support Remote Play of PS5 games to devices you can't use a Dual Sense with.
Yeah, it's a problem that they'll have to face. Maybe they'll have a disclaimer saying select PS5 games on Remote Play may not have full functionality (like their backward compatibility disclaimer here), because Dual Sense's specialized functions are unlikely to be supported on mobile devices. Unless maybe the Remote Play app itself handles the Dual Sense inputs as a generic Bluetooth device?

Izanagi89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
60fps confirmed for Ghost of Tsushima with Boost mode