• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Just bought it just from you guys reactions, really excited to try it. I love poker and I love roguelikes.
Tonight will be fun.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
So far I have won with 3 of the decks (Blue, Black and Checkered)

My favourite winning run so far has been this:
Fibonacci (Each played Ace, 2, 3, 5 or 8 gives +8 Mult when scored)
Hack (Retrigger each played 2, 3, 4 or 5)
Even Steven (Played cards with even rank give +30 Chips when scored
Odd Todd (Played cards with odd rank give +30 Chips when scored)
Hiker (Every played card permanently gains +4 Chips when scored)
Splash (Every played card counts in scoring)

The strategy at that point was adding card modifiers anywhere and going:
929.jpg

None of my winning runs were strong enough to get past The Pillar though...

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Running a ceremonial dagger deck (had it up to +100 and other joker that gave x3 multiplier), only have 3 jokers. Last boss disables random jokers, completely killed my build.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell does the Red Card work?

When you buy a pack and instead of selecting something, you skip it. It adds 3x multiplier and can stack for each pack you skip. I usually just buy the $3 or $4 packs and skip it unless there's a planet associated with whatever my winning combination is in that run.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Pro tip! When you build a deck around a getting four of a kinds for one specific card make sure you don't accidentally discard your four of a kind and tank the entire run.

VNLA

Jan 1, 2023
This game is sooooo good. I told myself just one short run. BaM! 1.5 later and I don't know where the time went.

Sign

Oct 31, 2017
Pro tip! When you build a deck around a getting four of a kinds for one specific card make sure you don't accidentally discard your four of a kind and tank the entire run.

Done that many times, such a deflating feeling and don't seem to be able to beat the autosave either with a quick forcequit either, its too fast.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
This game is sick, loving it so much and only played two runs. It's got that effortless "number go up" vibe of Luck Be A Landlord, but with more intentionality and gameplay like Slay the Spire. It's right in that middle ground of super approachability without being *quite* as mindless. This is a dangerous game to give free time to.

Endless mode is nuts. The standard 8 ante boss is like 100k chips? After a few more antes we're in the 10s of millions so you gotta scale out of your mind to go much further.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see what kind of staying power this game has. The last couple roguelikes I've tried kinda fizzled out and they were hyped up as the next Hades (Doomsday Hunters) or Slay the Spire (Cobalt Core). Don't get me wrong, I liked both games but bounced off of them pretty quickly.

i've played the demo for 80~ hours and i know i'm not the only one

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This game is sick, loving it so much and only played two runs. It's got that effortless "number go up" vibe of Luck Be A Landlord, but with more intentionality and gameplay like Slay the Spire. It's right in that middle ground of super approachability without being *quite* as mindless. This is a dangerous game to give free time to.

Endless mode is nuts. The standard 8 ante boss is like 100k chips? After a few more antes we're in the 10s of millions so you gotta scale out of your mind to go much further.
My first 3 runs I got cursed with a 300k boss every time at the end of ante 8.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
First win was with a high card +money deck. Got to Ante 10 with it. Had like $220 at the end.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Won my first run using club flushes. Got an early spectral card that converted my hand to one suite and it rolled spades, so I went with that.

Got a flush multi joker and a spade joker, so it worked well.

Clicked endless and lost the big blind there, but a wins a win I guess.

Games definitely fun

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Is there a way to get rid of that annoying line that appears horizontally through the screen? If that's by design, that's bad design.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I just played three hours straight. Haven't done that in years.

This is something special. Just hope I don't find that one or two "instant win" combos that's too easy to get. That's usually the downfall of games like this.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
This somehow managed to pull me away from Helldivers, which I was finally able to play and have a blast with, so that speaks for itself. Two and a half hours gone just like that.

Phineous_2

Oct 29, 2017
Picked this up today after reading the hype in this thread, Just played 3 hours straight. Really great game. Very addicting. Can't wait to play again tomorrow.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
So what does the -1 ante, -1 hand per round card actually do? How is it helpful? I'm scared to buy it.

Feb 27, 2018
So what does the -1 ante, -1 hand per round card actually do? How is it helpful? I'm scared to buy it.

As far as I can tell it reduces the difficulty of your current ante by 1, essentially giving you what should be a run of pretty easy wins in a row to boost your deck with. As someone mentioned above, it means you'll have to clear 9 antes in total instead of 8 to complete a run. Not sure if it's worth the - 1 hand size though..

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
You can leave a run in progress and continue it from the main menu.

this is how you get an unlock as well

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to play this like I played Dicey Dungeons. Which means, a lot but in short bursts. Maybe one run a day, something like that.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
If I know nothing about poker, will this game teach me?
Not really, and that's fine.

I haven't messed with the tutorial but all you really need to know about poker is the hands and you can use a cheat sheet for that
poker_hands1.jpg

in general in poker the higher the ranked hand the harder it is to get. In this game you can rig your odds. You aren't messing with the bluffing aspects of poker, and the odds only matter a little. But like as soon as a flush or straight only requires 4 cards instead of 5 the odds of getting those hands drastically increases.

but basically. Use that cheat sheet to keep track of hands and know that building around 4-7 is likely going to be the most consistent (especially if you get the joker the makes the straight or flush more common) As it's important you are consistent to some degree in this game as any bit of bad luck will potentially end your run.

There are in game "odds" for how much each hand is worth and at the start the value will follow that hand chart, but it quickly will change.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
What is Ante? Is it just difficulty level?
basically what overall floor you are on.

in other thoughts.... I have something truly stupid going on

mTmBfyK.png

I am only on the 4th ante and I'm already close to a million points going on... with a better draw and I will break it I think lol.

never mind... a good draw gets me....

SPOILER_image.png

SPOILER_image.png

which this is what I need to get right now lol
cL5sNiL.png

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
You're about to play your favorite video game of all time, lol

Just played for a few hours, I love this game.

Was able to get to ante 11 as my last game of the day, with my wife screaming at me to go to bed since it's 2AM and I work tomorrow 😂

The jump was crazy on ante 11 though, the small blind was at 7 million out of nowhere, the previous boss was just 1 million.

I also feel the game forces you (in endless) to adjust to higher and higher combos of cards (like full house instead of pairs), which is really fun. My combo of Dual Pairs can only give so many points even at a high level.

I love this game, so glad I bought it. Worth it even for just tonight.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
Dumb question, do you strengthen your deck or anything between runs?

I kinda feel like I am restarting from 0 every run apart from better knowledge

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit there are (mechanic spoilers)
Interesting new poker hands, like 5 of a kind or, more interestingly, a "flush house". I wonder if there are others...?

Dumb question, do you strengthen your deck or anything between runs?

I kinda feel like I am restarting from 0 every run apart from better knowledge
Indirectly. In general, the new jokers that are unlocked are better than the early-game stuff.

zeldor711

Feb 11, 2020
Ooh, first I've seen of this. I'm getting very into deck builder roguelikes (started playing StS last year, Inscryption and Monster Train this year). Think I've gotta give this a shot!

I'd ideally get it on Switch, but only if the performance holds up. How're people finding the performance into the endgame?

Switch performance
OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ooh, first I've seen of this. I'm getting very into deck builder roguelikes (started playing StS last year, Inscryption and Monster Train this year). Think I've gotta give this a shot!

I'd ideally get it on Switch, but only if the performance holds up. How're people finding the performance into the endgame?
Got a couple wins in today and each time immediately lost in Endless Mode. Like, the very first round each time. Super fun, but man im gonna need to start building way more broken stuff than what the demo required.

Can anyone attest to the current performance on Switch? Thinking about double dipping to have it on the go if it runs well enough.

People on Switch are saying the performance is great.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Best run yet. Started out as a straight deck, then got a card that increased xMultiplier everytime you played a hand that wasn't your highest. Straight hand had been played 10 times, so I started playing other hands. Eventually copied Aces until I had like 20 of them in my deck, along with an Ace joker the points wracked up playing 4&5 of a kind hands.

XXILFpF.png

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
My dumb run was indeed dumb.... not quite done yet.... but I'm content to die now lol

uhcu7PC.jpeg